Houston area dining talk

98,722 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MarkRs said:

CTCBear said:

I'm down... but maybe give it a few weeks or so. We just had a baby and there is no way I'll be allowed out of the house for a fun dinner for a while.
I read this and now I can not stop thinking about how our girlfriends are changing after the birth of a child. By the way, the changes are noticeable precisely after the birth of the first child. There are those who take this topic completely and no longer pay attention to anything else. There are those who honestly divide responsibilities in half, but also divide small joys in half. And there is an incomprehensible intermediate option when a young mother begins to think that she knows everything better than anyone else. They made so many comments to my brother about everyday things, sent links like how to clean windows correctly. And this concerned not only the fact that inside the house but also "you drive the car incorrectly", "you choose the wrong food in the restaurant". CTCBea, I do not think that everything is so in reality. It's just that this topic really caught on. I have not married yet but there is a girl. And there is a bad, extremely bad example from a brother. In short .. I get nervous and start hiding the diamond ring that I already bought ((

GoBearsGo
Let's set a date a month or two in the future. Maybe a wine bar crawl on a Saturday? I'm down for most things just need to be able to plan around it since I have to come in from Beaumont.
bularry
i, too, am lost on this
CTCBear
He replied to my comment and I am lost as well....

bularry
took the family to UB Preserv last night for oldest birthday. ordered just about everything on the menu... food was great.

I was kinda surprised the place wasn't more crowded/busy... maybe still limiting capacity but first time I've ever been there when it wasn't filled up.
GoBearsGo
Went to Haymerchant last night. Loved it. Great food. Tons of beer on tap. The goat dumplings are the bomb.
FranchiseBear
Went to pAppas burgers with the family Monday night. 2nd time in a few months the burger and fries are just not the same quality. For $16 per burger I'll move on for a while.

I did have a john Lucas sighting at dinner that was mildly interesting.
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

Went to pAppas burgers with the family Monday night. 2nd time in a few months the burger and fries are just not the same quality. For $16 per burger I'll move on for a while.

man, haven't been there in years! bummer that it isn't as good as it used to be
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Went to Haymerchant last night. Loved it. Great food. Tons of beer on tap. The goat dumplings are the bomb.
I really like that place, but don't go very often since I'm in 'burbs
CTCBear
The pigs head tacos and PB&J wings are amazing!!
WILLIS
FranchiseBear said:

Totally agree. Only worth going during happy hour. Rip off otherwise.
WILLIS
Heading to Maison Pucha with the wife Sunday evening. Never been. Curious if anyone else has here.
bularry
Have not been, report back
CammoTX
FranchiseBear said:

Beck's Prime basically the same cost these days.

GoBearsGo
WILLIS said:

Heading to Maison Pucha with the wife Sunday evening. Never been. Curious if anyone else has here.

Went a couple years ago. Enjoyed it.
WILLIS
It was fine/good. But won't go back. Expected much more. Expensive as it gets too.
bularry
CammoTX said:

FranchiseBear said:

Beck's Prime basically the same cost these days.

yeah, they are high, but I do like their food....
FranchiseBear
anyone been to Ostia yet? Have any recs or suggestions on the menu? Have reservation tomorrow night.
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

anyone been to Ostia yet? Have any recs or suggestions on the menu? Have reservation tomorrow night.
Nice! I have not been but on my near term "to do" list. Let us know what you think.
FranchiseBear
Well the wife made res for Sunday night on accident.... I'm not happy with her.
bularry
went to Roma in Rice Village this week. I thought the food was really, really good. nice Italian wine list.

definitely recommend
GoBearsGo
So we have friends coming into to town from STL at the end of July/Start of August.

They have a 14 year old who likes all types of food. We will spend a few days in Houston before we head over to Silsbee.

Planning-Need your help. Friday-Monday night-We leave Tuesday am.
We have a Sunday Dinner at Bludorn booked.
Dumplings in Chinatown?
BBQ-Truth/Bloodbros./Feges?
TexMex-Superica Sat Bruch)?/Ninfa's/Candente?
Chinese-Mala Sischuan?
Pizza-Tiny Champs?
Squable-We are staying right down the road so we will probably hit this up one night.
Helen Greek
Crawfish & Noodles?

We will stay in the Heights, so any breakfast tacos ideas?

What am I missing. What screams Houston to you?
bularry
looks good... definitely think a visit to Chinatown for something. there are some Korean places or even Pho you could eat to get variety and keep it casual..

Definitely get Mala if you can...

if you are in Heights I'd eat at Truth or maybe switch it up and go to Gatlin's.

I'd rather eat at UB Preserv or Rosie instead of Squabble... not impressed with Squabble

For tex-mex, what about doing original Ninfa's? Might be fun for an out of towner... could do brunch or a lunch
br53
How about El Tiempo for Mexican
WILLIS
Heights and close by spots Pinkertons bbq wayyy over Gatlins. Truth is excellent. Go get really really cheap but oh so excellent tex mex at Tia Maria's with the blue collar and white collars eating beside each other. I've moved on from el tiempo, it's just so damn pricey. Quality isn't quite what it was circa 2010-2015 IMO. Rant over.

Barbacoa and al pastor tacos at Laredo taqueria on washington with that spicy green salsa and washed down with a Mexican Coke is hard to beat for real authentic stuff for a quick cheap lunch.

I freakin loved my crawfish and noodles experience about a week before covid shut it down in 2020. Guessing you've watched the ugly delicious series.

Bring your savings account # to Bludorn .

How about a really good but simple easy gulf coast seafood at a easy place like goode co seafood on westpark. Love the old traincar setup. It's perfect for a Midwesterner. Easy.

I'd also probably prefer going to their taqueria next door over about 90% of the Mexican joints in town ive been dragged too fwiw. The to go frozen margaritas are amongst the best. Rambling now.

bularry
I'm with you on el tiempo... don't get the love and i want greasy enchiladas at my tex-mex place
CTCBear
Adding to / agreeing / disagreeing with the above posts

• Agree on El Tiempo; Superica and Candente are much better options. Dont sleep on Hugo's though for an classic Houston spot but more Mex than TexMex
  • Dont get Larry's hate on Squable; its amazing and one of my consistent favorites. Go early for happy hour (50% off all alcohol) but his other recs are both spot on (UB and Rosie)
  • Mala is always amazing; Golden dim sum for classic Chinatown dumplings or Wanna Bao for more modern
  • Agree with Pinkertons or Truth over Gatlins if trying to stay in your area
  • Tiny Champs or Rosie for pizza
  • Crawfish and Noodles is a blast
GoBearsGo
Squable is one of my top 5 favs in Houston.

Love all the input.

We need a meet up sometime. Even for just a drink or bar crawl.
JusHappy2BeHere
Has anyone been to Roost?

Young Chef Kevin Nederin doing some good work with middle eastern flavors
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
Y'all see the Houstonia list? any comments from the group? Obviously, I don't agree with their #2.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Y'all see the Houstonia list? any comments from the group? Obviously, I don't agree with their #2.

It's really tough to rank top 10. I was thinking the other day if mine and I'm not sure what order they would be. I love Squable and pretty much any Justin Yu place. I love Nancy's and Bludorn. Mala is great and so is Kata. Rosie's is great but not my #1.

Tell me more about what you didn't mike about Squable.
CammoTX
Brennan's should have been on the list. There's a reason why it has been around for over 50 years.
bularry
Only been twice, but every dish I've had there tasted like it had two too many ingredients. Just too much going on.

I don't think I could do a top ten ranked, either

Edit: been twice for dinner and once for brunch. Always with groups so I tried a lot of different dishes on each visit
slimecap
CammoTX said:

Brennan's should have been on the list.
There's a reason why it has been around for over 50 years.
Agree. Brennan's was the link where I talked to staff members and learned about Commander's Palace in New Orleans. Those 2 restaurants were the spark for my lifelong curiosity and appreciation of regional cuisines.
bularry
Brennan's in Houston isn't in the same league as CP in Nola

I don't go often but my last couple of visits to Brennans were pretty underwhelming

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.