Houston area dining talk

98,797 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by CammoTX
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Has anyone gone to March yet?
yes, we've been but not with new menu
fantastic, fantastic experience. Food is really good but the experience is unmatched in Houston
I saw the address.
It is only one block from one of our fun favorites of the 70s, Los Troncos.
bularry
slimecap said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Has anyone gone to March yet?
yes, we've been but not with new menu
fantastic, fantastic experience. Food is really good but the experience is unmatched in Houston
I saw the address.
that neighborhood was probably a lot different in the 70's
slimecap
bularry said:

slimecap said:

I saw the address.
Los Troncos was great ! I found an old article that described the uniqueness of the restaurant.

"One enters through a narrow hall after passing a waterfall fountain, 12 feet tall and made of 23 tons of stone. The room you enter has a ceiling 21 feet above the floor. Entering for the first time is a mute experience; one thinks of little to say.

Rising around you are 19 tree houses, each built on an actual tree trunk, the largest of which is of red oak and weighs 5 1/2 tons. Call every table a private room, all reached by one of two narrow stairs."

GoBearsGo
slimecap said:

bularry said:

slimecap said:

I saw the address.
Los Troncos was great ! I found an old article that described the uniqueness of the restaurant.

"One enters through a narrow hall after passing a waterfall fountain, 12 feet tall and made of 23 tons of stone. The room you enter has a ceiling 21 feet above the floor. Entering for the first time is a mute experience; one thinks of little to say.

Rising around you are 19 tree houses, each built on an actual tree trunk, the largest of which is of red oak and weighs 5 1/2 tons. Call every table a private room, all reached by one of two narrow stairs."

crazy
CammoTX
Need recommendations on what to order at Nobies.
bularry
CammoTX said:

Need recommendations on what to order at Nobies.
I'm a big fan of their tartare and also nano's pasta (sp?) Carrots dish is great. I think we had an octopus dish last time that was really good, too.

the milk bread and butter also worth eating. desserts are really good, I love the olive oil cake.

GoBearsGo
I am hoping for better than Texas bowl, but off BU ends up there we should have a pub/restaurant crawl with this group.
FranchiseBear
anyone eaten at Truth bbq on Washtington Ave? Tried to go Thursday... got there in line at 11:15a. Line was snacked outside and wrapped around porch and into the lot. Gave up and went to Killens across the street. Was in mood for some que and got the brisket/rib 2 meat plate. Dont get bbq there - go for fried chicken or something else. Brisket was dry, dry, dry.
CTCBear
Truth is fantastic!
br53
Truth is average at best
WILLIS
br53 said:

Truth is average at best

Lol wat.
br53
WILLIS said:

br53 said:

Truth is average at best

Lol wat.

I have not had a good experience in my 3 trips
GoBearsGo
br53 said:

Truth is average at best
Hah. You have to be joking.
br53
GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

Truth is average at best

No I am not. Read my post above
bularry
br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

Truth is average at best

Strange. Been great for me and Texas Monthly seems to agree
FranchiseBear
I think next time our crew will call ahead to pick up and eat a massive tray of assorted protein off the tailgate. Saw many people carrying to go orders while in line.
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

Truth is average at best

Glad you and Texas Monthly had great experiences. I did not and won't be returning
bularry
yeah, too many other places to keep trying a place you don't like
CammoTX
br53 said:

bularry said:

br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

Truth is average at best

Glad you and Texas Monthly had great experiences. I did not and won't be returning

TM did not have Pinkerton's on their list, so they missed that one for sure
bularry
Did they have the SA location?
CammoTX
bularry said:

Did they have the SA location?

Can't recall.
CTCBear
Yes they did.
WILLIS
Pinkertons is fantastic, just expensive. I grew up with Grant and we keep up often.
bularry
WILLIS said:

Pinkertons is fantastic, just expensive. I grew up with Grant and we keep up often.
UNPOPULAR OPINION:

frankly, it is all expensive. I like bbq, but I don't like it enough to drive far, wait, eat with my hands and paying someone $25/lb for the privilege to do so....

I'm good for making an effort about every 6 months or so.
GoBearsGo
Hitting Tiny Champions Friday night for a casual birthday dinner. I'll report back.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Hitting Tiny Champions Friday night for a casual birthday dinner. I'll report back.
been 4 times... really loved everything except a couple of the pasta dishes were just okay... great drink program and I love the pizzas
GoBearsGo
Tiny Champs was great. We had been before but I think this will be added to the regular rotation.

Had fried mozzarella and the burrata. Both were great. Next was a cabbage salad that was super tasty.

Pizza and pasta followed with coffee sundae to finish.

Great place with a cool vibe. If I lived locally I would go weekly.
CammoTX
Anyone been to Kuu? Worth the money? Suggestions on what to order?
WILLIS
Grabbed a bite with the wife for my birthday at Pappas steakhouse on Westheimer tonight. They comped our filet and crab entre, dozen east coast oysters, 2 desserts, and a fine pour of eagle rare. Truly outstanding service. Josh, the young manager, was so nice and professional. Just wow. Our bill came out to $106. Should have been like $250. Josh came by after the oysters took about 25 min, apologized profusely and comped them. We hadn't complained or said a word about it and were enjoying the ambience of sitting at the kitchen bar watching the bustle. Then when the steak came out on a cold plate and was cool to the touch, he did the rest. I repeatedly told him it still taste wonderful and was cooked properly and didn't want him to say or do anything until after we left, just trying to be constructive, but he refused and said, "you come here to Pappas and pay more for it to be perfect every experience." Always has been my favorite steakhouse. And continues to be. Thanks Pappas.
br53
WILLIS said:

Grabbed a bite with the wife for my birthday at Pappas steakhouse on Westheimer tonight. They comped our filet and crab entre, dozen east coast oysters, 2 desserts, and a fine pour of eagle rare. Truly outstanding service. Josh, the young manager, was so nice and professional. Just wow. Our bill came out to $106. Should have been like $250. Josh came by after the oysters took about 25 min, apologized profusely and comped them. We hadn't complained or said a word about it and were enjoying the ambience of sitting at the kitchen bar watching the bustle. Then when the steak came out on a cold plate and was cool to the touch, he did the rest. I repeatedly told him it still taste wonderful and was cooked properly and didn't want him to say or do anything until after we left, just trying to be constructive, but he refused and said, "you come here to Pappas and pay more for it to be perfect every experience." Always has been my favorite steakhouse. And continues to be. Thanks Pappas.
I love that place. Every Christmas I take a 9x11 dish in and have them fill it with the Potato Au Gratin. They are wonderful
FranchiseBear
It is hard to beat the service and food quality at ANY steakhouse in the nation. I got to experience it on the house for soft opening the week they opened in the mid 90's and have loved it ever since.
bularry
CammoTX said:

Anyone been to Kuu? Worth the money? Suggestions on what to order?
not I...
bularry
since I hate money, taking family to Turner's for our annual Christmas night out.

Who has been? any can't miss dishes?
FranchiseBear
I have been a few times. I think it is fine but not great. Have you been already? If you are not tied to that immediate area I really like Sage 400, Kata Robata or the restaurant on the memorial curve between Gessner and town & country (name escapes me).
bularry
Considered Kata but couple of my kids don't dig seafood/sushi that much

Never heard of Sage

You hyping those Japanese places!

EDIT: just realized you were responding to Cammo and not me. Lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.