Houston area dining talk

98,830 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by CammoTX
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone been to NoPo? Suggestions on what to order?
br53
Went to Pampa Grill in Katy last night for the second time. The meat and wine were excellent.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

We still have not been to Rosie Cannonball -- sounds really good.

We hit Ostia last Saturday night for 2nd time and really enjoyed it. Our table of 4 shared bruschetta, a Caesar, 1/2 roasted chicken, lamb shank, crispy potato with aioli. Food was really good and I really like the build out - some what unique in Houston. My only complaint is the pizzas are not on dinner menu - the fired oven looks great in the kitchen. I would really like to try it along with other entrees.

Not food related.... but I am very excited that the live music scene in town has heated up again. White Oak has a great line up. Heights Theatre has been back for a while now.
Ostia is on my list to try since it is so close.
bularry
br53 said:

Went to Pampa Grill in Katy last night for the second time. The meat and wine were excellent.
named after the NW Texas town? good ole Pampa, TX
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

named after the NW Texas town? good ole Pampa, TX
Its an Argentinian restaurant. Had two different Malbecs, Concreto and Biutiful. They were excellent.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
GoBearsGo
Taking a group of teens to Tiny Champions in a couple of weeks before Hamilton. Then going the next weekend to Rosalie in the Baldwin Hotel, which just opened back up, before Hamilton with some friends of ours.

I'll give a report on it.
AStaton
Rosalie is incredible. Enjoy!
bularry
AStaton said:

Rosalie is incredible. Enjoy!
I think former Nobie sous chef is heading the kitchen there, now.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Taking a group of teens to Tiny Champions in a couple of weeks before Hamilton. Then going the next weekend to Rosalie in the Baldwin Hotel, which just opened back up, before Hamilton with some friends of ours.

I'm a fan of that place, but not sure I'd call it "teen" friendly
bularry
ate at Xin Chao last night.... Food was outstanding.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

I'm a fan of that place, but not sure I'd call it "teen" friendly

It will be early afternoon and pizza is pizza. Got to give these kids from small town SE TX some culture.
bularry
LOL, I like it!
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

ate at Xin Chao last night.... Food was outstanding.

It's so good
bularry
Feb is my wife's birthday month, so we go out... a lot.

Rosie's again last night and we had the cacio e pepe pizza and added speck to it. holy cow was that good!!
CammoTX
Ate at NoPo tonight. It's part of the Berg Hospitality Group. Gotta say that it was really good. The focaccia with whipped ricotta appetizer was out of this world.
FranchiseBear
I love this thread and the info that comes through it. Rosie's and NoPo are definitely on my list. Live very close to nopo.

So… I didn't go out tonight. BUT I nailed a prime HEB ribeye, strip and filet a la lodge cast iron stove top sear and oven finish. Went low key tonight and paired with bacon wrapped asparagus and a paleo type au gratin potato. Cab blend sandwiched with a few ranch waters.

Got to spend a little time w my wife and two teenagers as well. Man it was good.
GoBearsGo
Tiny Champs as great tonight. Wife and I took our 17yr old son and three 16/17 girls.

Had fried mozzarella balls and a green salad. Couple of plates of the rigatoni bolognese. Three pizzas. Some ice cream to top of off.

They all loved it. Just a great night all around. We went pretty basic with the kids but everything is so well executed.
bularry
Those are always great nights. Did similar Saturday night for family.
bularry
finishing off the weekend tonight at Trattoria Sofia. On Friday night we went to Kata Robata... holy heck is that place sneaky expensive, but the good was phenomenal.

Waygu sando at Kata
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

finishing off the weekend tonight at Trattoria Sofia. On Friday night we went to Kata Robata... holy heck is that place sneaky expensive, but the good was phenomenal.

Waygu sando at Kata

That waygu is awesome
bularry
It was. Really hard to describe.
bularry
CammoTX said:

Ate at NoPo tonight. It's part of the Berg Hospitality Group. Gotta say that it was really good. The focaccia with whipped ricotta appetizer was out of this world.
let's discuss Berg..

I ate at Sofia Trattoria earlier this week. I gotta say the food was really good. But man, the whole place had this "try hard" feel to it that I find a bit off-putting. Not easy to put my finger on specifics, but just some little things. I'm not a Heights resident, so not real close for me.

I don't think I'd go back and I'm really glad I didn't take the family to Turner's.

How is atmosphere at NoPo and the steakhouse? never been to either.
GoBearsGo
hitting up Rosalie tonight. I'll update later.
CammoTX
bularry said:

CammoTX said:

let's discuss Berg..

I ate at Sofia Trattoria earlier this week. I gotta say the food was really good. But man, the whole place had this "try hard" feel to it that I find a bit off-putting. Not easy to put my finger on specifics, but just some little things. I'm not a Heights resident, so not real close for me.

I don't think I'd go back and I'm really glad I didn't take the family to Turner's.

How is atmosphere at NoPo and the steakhouse? never been to either.

Food reminds me of Rosie Cannonball. Pizza is top notch and pasta is super fresh. Prices are actually pretty reasonable. It is very casual. Not even sure I would call it a bistro. It is connected to a market. I get a Heights vibe with it. Small dining room. We were impressed and will be back.

I have been wanting to try Turners. Prices seem exorbitant, but I have a $300 gift card there so I can probably make it work, assuming I don't go crazy with wine.
GoBearsGo
went to Rosalie before seeing a musical downtown. It's bright and lovely. Staff was nice but not high end service. Food was very good. Wine list was small and there did not appear to have any type of some or wine director. The server was not knowledgable about the list, so they could use a little time to dial it in.

Overall good, but I'll take Rosie Cannonball or some other places. Next musical we will hit Georgia James Tavern but sit inside. We sat on their "patio" this summer and it was brutal.
CTCBear
What did you order? Eating there tomorrow night before Hamilton...
bularry
Going to Rosie C with the entire family Saturday for my birthday. My last couple of visits have been so good, I think this place is really hitting its stride as one of the top places in the city
GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

What did you order? Eating there tomorrow night before Hamilton...
that's exactly what we did. We had 4 people.

We started with the Arancini and Burrata and a glass of Lambrusco. Both good. The burrata could have used another slice or two of bread.

We had a meat lovers pizza, blue crab manicotti and rigatoni. Side of broccoli and polenta. Some Italian wine our friends ordered which was very good. It was her second choice, but good. She's a wine influencer so she knows her stuff.

The pizza and pasta were all great. Manicotti was probably my favorite.

After dinner we sat at the bar with a cocktail and chatted before we went.

We valet and the restaurant and they validate it for $8 I think, we walked to the show and back. So bring your ticket and remind them.

It's nice and a great start to the evening.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Going to Rosie C with the entire family Saturday for my birthday. My last couple of visits have been so good, I think this place is really hitting its stride as one of the top places in the city
one of my favs for sure.

As someone who only gets to hit a spot or two each 4-6 weeks, it's so hard to try them all. I want to try new places but then I can't get to the spots we love.

bularry
spill the beans, who is the wine influencer friend... I'll be the judge if she knows her stuff {wink}
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

spill the beans, who is the wine influencer friend... I'll be the judge if she knows her stuff {wink}

Her insta is @Carolinedupape she is studying for WSET2 now. She is a great writer and I think is building up a nice presence. They did a summer trip to Europe and got to visit some great places. They are our young friends.

That's not her full time job. Just a hobby but it's building up where she regularly receives wine to review. So free wine is good.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

Her insta is @Carolinedupape she is studying for WSET2 now. She is a great writer and I think is building up a nice presence. They did a summer trip to Europe and got to visit some great places. They are our young friends.

That's not her full time job. Just a hobby but it's building up where she regularly receives wine to review. So free wine is good.
yeah, that's pretty cool for her. Great to be considered an "influencer" in the space, lots of free bees to be had if you are ITB

Holy hell, I knew I recognized the name. I work with her husband and we talk wine a lot. he's such a good dude. we've been talking about getting together with our spouses to do some drinking. I only briefly met his wife at our Christmas party this year, but she seems really smart and fun.

ha ha, such a small world
JusHappy2BeHere
We went to PBSH Westhiemer for the first time since pre Covid, and that place just never disappoints. We shared the shrimp Remeaulod, Au Gartin Potatoes, we each had beautiful chuck end Ribeye medium rare with a hard seer, and shared a NY Style-Texas Size Cheesecake.

It was a great night. It had been too long

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

yeah, that's pretty cool for her. Great to be considered an "influencer" in the space, lots of free bees to be had if you are ITB

Holy hell, I knew I recognized the name. I work with her husband and we talk wine a lot. he's such a good dude. we've been talking about getting together with our spouses to do some drinking. I only briefly met his wife at our Christmas party this year, but she seems really smart and fun.

ha ha, such a small world

Small world. We need to all go out sometime.
bularry
Indeed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.