Houston area dining talk

98,775 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by CammoTX
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be in Rockport this weekend if anyone has a suggestion there. Staying with some friends that moved there a few months ago so probably won't have much of a say but you never know.
br53
WILLIS said:

I'll be in Rockport this weekend if anyone has a suggestion there. Staying with some friends that moved there a few months ago so probably won't have much of a say but you never know.

About the only place to eat is The Yacht Club
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Where are ya'll eating this weekend? My wife is in Houston today and is trying Aga's. Our neighbors are Indian and swear it's the best Indian in Houston.
It is Indo-Pak... A Pakistani man that works for me loves it, too.

I have never been, unfortunately
br53
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Where are ya'll eating this weekend? My wife is in Houston today and is trying Aga's. Our neighbors are Indian and swear it's the best Indian in Houston.

It is very good
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

We usually hit Bombay Brassiere, since we are good friends with the owner's daughter. We also love Himalaya and it's almost Soup-Nazi like chef.

bularry
Went to Tatemo last night. Wife and I really liked it. BYOB which is pretty awesome!

WILLIS
Hitting Brennans for our last supper out on Tuesday. Shelby just hit 38 weeks so could be anytime now. Restaurant weeks deal there looks strong. We also had our rehearsal dinner there so always a special spot for us.
FranchiseBear
Pls have a milk punch for me! Love that place.
slimecap
WILLIS said:

Hitting Brennan's for our last supper out on Tuesday.
had our rehearsal dinner there so always a special spot for us

https://www.brennanshouston.com/menus/#dessert
CammoTX
slimecap said:

WILLIS said:

Hitting Brennan's for our last supper out on Tuesday.
had our rehearsal dinner there so always a special spot for us

https://www.brennanshouston.com/menus/#dessert

Tell me about creole bread pudding souffl
WILLIS
I am partial to the tableside bananas foster but might have to do both!
GoBearsGo
where yall going this week?
br53
GoBearsGo said:

Dove Hunting.
WILLIS
Hospital. Texas womens cafeteria supposed to be decent.
FranchiseBear
Hope that is a really positive visit! Can't recall where that hospital is but maybe it's close to Halal Guys in med center. Love their food. Worst case chik fila in hospital??

I'm getting started TH with a 50th birthday dinner at Armando's. Looking forward to some queso flameado, great guacamole and a marg or 3. Y'all have a good weekend. GO BEARS!
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

wife and I ate at Nobies last night. First time we've been in a while, probably been 6 months. Was able to walk in and sit at bar.

Food was freakin' great. Really like this place, although kinda noisy and tables are in small spaces, IMO, which can detract sometimes.

bularry
FranchiseBear said:

Hope that is a really positive visit! Can't recall where that hospital is but maybe it's close to Halal Guys in med center. Love their food. Worst case chik fila in hospital??

I'm getting started TH with a 50th birthday dinner at Armando's. Looking forward to some queso flameado, great guacamole and a marg or 3. Y'all have a good weekend. GO BEARS!
Armando's... you fancy River Oaks person. I'm too ugly and poor to go there.....
FranchiseBear
Most definitely not a RO peep. But do like the food at Armando's and good people watching.
JusHappy2BeHere
If there is a better steak than Pappas Brothers Chuck End 18oz Ribeye Hard Sear Medium Rare, then I need to eat it, because damn that order is a win
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
Last night before Baylor game the wife and I did a quick jaunt over to Hugo's to grab a drink and snack (we ate an early dinner). had a heck of a mescal margarita. don't know why we don't do that more often...
CammoTX
Finally had the creole bread pudding souffle at Brennan's last night before the BYU game. It was good but bananas foster is still the best dessert there.
WILLIS
Agreed
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Last night before Baylor game the wife and I did a quick jaunt over to Hugo's to grab a drink and snack (we ate an early dinner). had a heck of a mescal margarita. don't know why we don't do that more often...

Any of his places are great. Those Sunday buffets are the best deal in Houston.
bularry
Bump....

Ate at Tiny Champions last night. We were in EaDo to pick up our Southold Wine delivery at How to Survive...

Wow, what a great meal. Had some really good NE oysters, a cucumber salad that was really amazing then the mortadella pizza with tellagio and a tomato risotto topped with fried okra.

man was it good
CammoTX
bularry said:

Bump....

Ate at Tiny Champions last night. We were in EaDo to pick up our Southold Wine delivery at How to Survive...

Wow, what a great meal. Had some really good NE oysters, a cucumber salad that was really amazing then the mortadella pizza with tellagio and a tomato risotto topped with fried okra.

man was it good

Speaking of oysters, we are entering oyster season!

Recommendations for great places to go?
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Bump....

man was it good
Love that place. I fell like Eado is a younger Heights. Still some time to develop but the gentrification is in full swing.

Other topic do you have a offsite wine storage? AOC? How do you like it?
bularry
yes, AOC. Love it. kinda pricey, but lots of benefits for some cool wine events and they sell wine at very reasonable prices to members. definitely an extravagance for me....

I've eaten at Tiny's a few times before and this felt like my best experience by far
GoBearsGo
Alison Cook put out her top 100. Golfstrommen, March, Trex, Pondicheri, and Hamsa are 1-5.

Thoughts on the top 100? Top 25?

Brett's BBQ is at 12 and Truth at 19.
JusHappy2BeHere
GoBearsGo said:

Alison Cook put out her top 100. Golfstrommen, March, Trex, Pondicheri, and Hamsa are 1-5.

Disappointed Huynh Restaurant on St. Emmanuel didn't make the list
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
WILLIS
I dont have Chronicle access. Anyone want to post the list?
JusHappy2BeHere
The middle of July, I had a torn cartilage repair done in Sugar Land. The blood work in prep for the surgery showed some abnormalities that made my PCP urge me to get a colonoscopy. I got that done and my GI Doc also wanted an endoscope of the stomach.
He found several large growths which he removed.
A week later he called to tell me I have Adenocarcinoma Gastric Cancer.
I had 4 MD Anderson visits in September. A full body scan which showed nothing but one swollen lymph node ear the stomach. The last test was an upper GI Endoscope with ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a thickened stomach wall which was indicative of cancer but not definitive. So we waited 10 days for the 17 tissue samples from every part of the stomach to give us biopsy results...

The preferred course of treatment is to remove the stomach. So we went to B&B Butchers so I could use it before I lose it. It was a great time. I'd go back for the Bacon and the Carpetbagger on the Half Shell alone. Instead of a side dish we ordered the Vegetable Sampler entre, and it was awesome. The mushrooms were wonderful. I got a 55 day dry aged Wagyu Ribeye from Snake River, hard sear, medium rare. It was really fatty, but the parts where meat outnumbered the fat were absolutely amazing. It was a great night.

Last Friday the test results came in on MyChart. 17 times it said, No high-grade dysplasia or carcinoma identified.

On Monday I got a call from my Oncologist who confirmed that what I read meant what I thought it did. She said, "Mr. 2BeHere, this never happens." because of the surgery, we found and removed the stomach cancer before it really got started, and I am now cancer free. They actually asked Methodist Sugar Land for the original slides because they had no cancer cells to study.
Stomach Cancers are very aggressive and don't usually show symptoms till they are stage 3 or 4.
I'm feeling like I won the lottery.

Mahatma Gandhi
JusHappy2BeHere
WILLIS said:

I dont have Chronicle access. Anyone want to post the list?
I don't have any kind of subscription but I was able to access it.

[url=https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/2022/best-houston-restaurants/][/url]
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/2022/best-houston-restaurants/

Mahatma Gandhi
WILLIS
Thank you
GoBearsGo
JusHappy2BeHere said:

The middle of July, I had a torn cartilage repair done in Sugar Land. The blood work in prep for the surgery showed some abnormalities that made my PCP urge me to get a colonoscopy. I got that done and my GI Doc also wanted an endoscope of the stomach.
He found several large growths which he removed.
A week later he called to tell me I have Adenocarcinoma Gastric Cancer.
I had 4 MD Anderson visits in September. A full body scan which showed nothing but one swollen lymph node ear the stomach. The last test was an upper GI Endoscope with ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a thickened stomach wall which was indicative of cancer but not definitive. So we waited 10 days for the 17 tissue samples from every part of the stomach to give us biopsy results...

The preferred course of treatment is to remove the stomach. So we went to B&B Butchers so I could use it before I lose it. It was a great time. I'd go back for the Bacon and the Carpetbagger on the Half Shell alone. Instead of a side dish we ordered the Vegetable Sampler entre, and it was awesome. The mushrooms were wonderful. I got a 55 day dry aged Wagyu Ribeye from Snake River, hard sear, medium rare. It was really fatty, but the parts where meat outnumbered the fat were absolutely amazing. It was a great night.

Last Friday the test results came in on MyChart. 17 times it said, No high-grade dysplasia or carcinoma identified.

On Monday I got a call from my Oncologist who confirmed that what I read meant what I thought it did. She said, "Mr. 2BeHere, this never happens." because of the surgery, we found and removed the stomach cancer before it really got started, and I am now cancer free. They actually asked Methodist Sugar Land for the original slides because they had no cancer cells to study.
Stomach Cancers are very aggressive and don't usually show symptoms till they are stage 3 or 4.
I'm feeling like I won the lottery.

Holy ****!

Glad you are good. I can't imagine getting my stomach removed. I guess it's better than dying.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

I think a lot of it is questionable. Hamsa at 5? that's a big reach. I don't remember my other gripes with top 25 off the top of my head, I'll have to go look. Not having Rosie in top 25 I think is a massive oversite but probably done on purpose since March is #2.

I haven't been to brett's, but supposedly really good, so this seems in line with that. I was glad to see little Montrose place 93 Til on the list, it is a nice casual bistro.

EDIT: went and looked - my main gripe is having places like Koffeteria in the top 25. Cochinita? give me a break. Cafe Louie.. I"m sure the food is good but it just opened. It is some counter spot.

I live by Kau Ba... it isn't a top 10 restaurant.

I have limited experience but found TRIS to be vastly overrated, I think this ranking is just a nod to all the rich people in the Woodlands.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.