Houston area dining talk

101,543 Views | 1069 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by CammoTX
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

When are we going to get together again?

How is next week?
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
GoBearsGo
I need a few weeks notice to build out my schedule to make a trip over there work out.
br53
How about week of Jan 30?
bularry
In
GoBearsGo
Let me get back to you but I might be able to make something happen. I need to come grab a couple of sport coats.
JusHappy2BeHere
Went to Eunice last night for my wife's birthday. I can't have a lot of what I'd like, but there was enough that I could have for it to be a great time
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Went to Eunice last night for my wife's birthday. I can't have a lot of what I'd like, but there was enough that I could have for it to be a great time
Glad to hear you are out and about. How is the recovery going? Was thinking about you recently.
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Glad to hear you are out and about. How is the recovery going? Was thinking about you recently.
I'm doing well. Yesterday was my first day back at work, back at a restaurant and then watching Baylor beat KU.... luckily my first class is 11:45, so the fact that I'm nodding off at my desk doesn't affect anyone.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
Had to run to Houston last weekend. Hit Hamsa for a late lunch on a Saturday. Outstanding. Can't wait to go back. Beautiful place and the food was outstanding.

For dinner we ended up at Better Luck Tomorrow and sat at the bar had a couple of cocktails and mocktails and some food. The patty melt there is great.
CammoTX
GoBearsGo said:

Had to run to Houston last weekend. Hit Hamsa for a late lunch on a Saturday. Outstanding. Can't wait to go back. Beautiful place and the food was outstanding.

For dinner we ended up at Better Luck Tomorrow and sat at the bar had a couple of cocktails and mocktails and some food. The patty melt there is great.

What did you order for dessert at Hasma? I looked at their menu - $23 for a smoked old fashioned!
bularry
CammoTX said:

GoBearsGo said:

What did you order for dessert at Hasma? I looked at their menu - $23 for a smoked old fashioned!
yeah, it is pricey for what it is.. one of the reasons I haven't been.

Did go to 93 Til last weekend for an early Saturday night dinner. Can't say the atmosphere is exactly what the wife and I dig, but feels very authentic to our neighborhood.... and our food and drinks were outstanding. they are doing a great job out of that kitchen.
WILLIS

br53
WILLIS said:

Was it that bad, Willis? I was thinking of trying his other restaurant Navy Blue in West U. Anyone been there yet?
slimecap
WILLIS said:

Great post!
Thanks for the Humor Post of the Day
GoBearsGo
CammoTX said:

GoBearsGo said:

We were at lunch so we didn't get dessert or any booze.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

CammoTX said:

GoBearsGo said:

yeah, it is pricey for what it is.. one of the reasons I haven't been.

Did go to 93 Til last weekend for an early Saturday night dinner. Can't say the atmosphere is exactly what the wife and I dig, but feels very authentic to our neighborhood.... and our food and drinks were outstanding. they are doing a great job out of that kitchen.
I want to try 93 till. Vibe I hope hits my age perfect, but I might be a little old for it.
GoBearsGo
br53 said:

WILLIS said:

Was it that bad, Willis? I was thinking of trying his other restaurant Navy Blue in West U. Anyone been there yet?
I have heard great things about Navy Blue. I am a big fan of Bludorn, my wife thinks it's just ok so we go to other places.
br53
GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

WILLIS said:

I have heard great things about Navy Blue. I am a big fan of Bludorn, my wife thinks it's just ok so we go to other places.

Going to Navy Blue tomorrow night.
WILLIS
My in laws loved it. My parents thought good but won't be back.
bularry
br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

WILLIS said:

well????
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

WILLIS said:

well????

Never made it. Went to BCN instead
bularry
BCN is pretty awesome... at least my experience was
br53
Agreed love it. Went to Navy Blue for "a drink" last night and stayed all day. Great experience and the food was very good.
br53
Went back to Navy Blue on Tuesday. Had some clients with me, we had red snapper, Branzino,octopus salad, crudo, and seafood risotto. Everyone was very happy with their meals and service was excellent. Place is as packed on a Tuesday night.
JusHappy2BeHere
We are making our first visit Sunday night.
Any Must Haves?

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
I liked the charred octopus and the branzino and snapper. Oysters were good but expensive.
bularry
br53 said:

Oysters were good but expensive.
Unless you are eating some generic Texas gulf oysters, this is the case everywhere..
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

Unless you are eating some generic Texas gulf oysters, this is the case everywhere..

They had gulf as one option the other two were from the Northeast. I know they cost more from other areas but damn $4 seemed more than what I had paid at B19. Maybe I was just drinking more at b19 and didn't pay attention
bularry
br53 said:

bularry said:

br53 said:

They had gulf as one option the other two were from the Northeast. I know they cost more from other areas but damn $4 seemed more than what I had paid at B19. Maybe I was just drinking more at b19 and didn't pay attention
yeah $3.75 and $4.00 seem pretty standard for the NE or NW site specific oysters...

I paid $3.50 for Alabama Murder Point (I think that's the name) at State of Grace last month...
CammoTX
If you eat with horseradish and cocktail sauce do you even notice that much of a taste difference?
WILLIS
A summertime trip to Cape Cod is well worth the price of admission for a week of cheap, just out of the water and to your plate, oysters scallops and lobsta. Really is a pretty reasonable $ trip in an airbnb. Direct to Boston, drive hour and half. Beat the heat and feast in gorgeous scenery.

It is so fun to see oysters from Wellfleet or XYZ places around the Cape end up back here at places like Perlas or State of Grace when you've had them up there fresh at the marina while other boatloads were being unloaded.
bularry
CammoTX said:

If you eat with horseradish and cocktail sauce do you even notice that much of a taste difference?
you can, but I don't generally eat it with a lot of condiments. I like a little of the french style mignet (or however they spell that little vinegar dressing) or plain.

but yeah, some of those little NW ones can be awesomely sweet and salty. the gulf ones not usually as flavorful and often a bit tougher texture (larger in size, too).
JusHappy2BeHere
1751 Sea & Bar permanently closed

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

1751 Sea & Bar permanently closed
rumor is they are going to reopen in a different location in about 6 months.
slimecap
Any updates on Niko Niko's? Which location do you prefer and why?
Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.