Houston area dining talk

125,396 Views | 1120 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by GoBearsGo
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

Friday I have a 11am apt with a client. When I am done I will try and grab something togo to bring home to Beaumont for dinner. Where should I go? I'll be in the Bellaire area.
new texmex place from Benji (Local Foods)? Maximo is think is the name, on Edloe in the area. Supposedly pretty good.
CammoTX
GoBearsGo said:

Friday I have a 11am apt with a client. When I am done I will try and grab something togo to bring home to Beaumont for dinner. Where should I go? I'll be in the Bellaire area.

Fadi's Meyerland. If you like Middle East food it's pretty great and reasonably priced for what you get.
bularry
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

new texmex place from Benji (Local Foods)? Maximo is think is the name, on Edloe in the area. Supposedly pretty good.
Blood Bros bbq is in that area. Also Kriti Kitchen does greek food well, it is in Bellaire.
CammoTX
Houston Restaurant Weeks menu is up online. Roost and Post Oak Grill look looking strong so far.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Blood Bros bbq is in that area. Also Kriti Kitchen does greek food well, it is in Bellaire.

Ended up down the road a bit to Aga's for Indian. Then hit Blood Bros for lunch for myself. Aga's was great. Some of our neighbors are Indian and love it. The place was packed.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Ended up down the road a bit to Aga's for Indian. Then hit Blood Bros for lunch for myself. Aga's was great. Some of our neighbors are Indian and love it. The place was packed.

Agas is great. More Pak than Indian but well loved
GoBearsGo
Favorite brunch spots?
FranchiseBear
Brennans hard to beat. Field and tides is great in the heights. Haven't been there in a yr or so so but been consistent. In the summer when this hot I like option to wear shorts and very ok there.
GoBearsGo
Where do you grab a drink in Houston before or after dinner? Cocktails? Wine?
FranchiseBear
"Houston" covers a lot of area - what part of town are you wanting to grab a drink? And what type of establishment are you in the mood for?
GoBearsGo
FranchiseBear said:

"Houston" covers a lot of area - what part of town are you wanting to grab a drink? And what type of establishment are you in the mood for?

This weekend we will have dinner in the Heights both nights. We usually hit Lei Low one night after dinner and sometimes we hit Johnnys Goldbrick to drink before.

Just looking for some thoughts.
FranchiseBear
FranchiseBear
You've already got some good ones.
A few ideas:
8 row flint - great food truck also
Ez's Liquor lounge during the day
Heights Bier Garden - two sides - one all beer one cocktails
Better luck tomorrow
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

FranchiseBear said:

This weekend we will have dinner in the Heights both nights. We usually hit Lei Low one night after dinner and sometimes we hit Johnnys Goldbrick to drink before.

Just looking for some thoughts.
glad y'all are coming to town, restaurants need our support after losing a week of business.

bularry
FranchiseBear said:

You've already got some good ones.
A few ideas:
8 row flint - great food truck also
Ez's Liquor lounge during the day
Heights Bier Garden - two sides - one all beer one cocktails
Better luck tomorrow
I like BLT a lot, and I've heard good things about Permission. If looking for a wine bar, Padres has a good little vibe.
CammoTX
Finally was able to eat at Katami. Wow. Absolutely incredible. Highly recommend
GoBearsGo
This Saturday we have a group going to Little's. Can't wait to try it out.
CTCBear
Anyone been to Baso yet? Wife and I are headed there this Saturday.
bularry
CTCBear said:

Anyone been to Baso yet? Wife and I are headed there this Saturday.
Have not been, but read many great things. Let us know how it is!

I haven't been anywhere new recently, was supposed to try Lymbar this week but ended up at Astros game last night and had to scramble plans.
GoBearsGo
Got a new Dr in Houston, so we came for our first visits and test etc.

Stopped at HiWay Cantina in EaDo. Used to be Indianola. Same group as Coltivare.

Pretty good TexMex. It was not busy at all for lunch. I am nto sure that area has any need for nice lunch crowds midweek.

Had some great grilled Oysters.
FranchiseBear
GoBearsGo - I have been there a few times and really like it! I hope they get large crowds during astros games. Was there before a concert a month ago and our 6 top was one of 2 tables there. Hope it makes it bc it is good!
CammoTX
Anyone eaten at Marigold Club? Would you recommend?
GoBearsGo
CammoTX said:

Never been but I bet it's great. Looks beautiful and the food looks amazing. It's from the folks at March and Rosie's so it has to be good.
CTCBear
Went to Baso Saturday night and it was fantastic. We went with cocktails bc I know nothing about Spanish wine and they were great. Most of the cooking is done with live fire and it makes for a bit of a show. Def dont recommend sitting at the kitchen counter as it was radiating heat. Highlights were the venison tartar, tuna and crispy rice, beets, and pork chop.
CammoTX
Anyone been to Little's Oyster bar? Recommendations on what to order?
GoBearsGo
CammoTX said:

Anyone been to Little's Oyster bar? Recommendations on what to order?

Went on Saturday night for my wife's 50th. We had a group of 10. Started with fruit Del Mar and some grilled oysters for the table. If I were going just a few folks then the dressed oysters and the grill would be my choice.

Had the salad and the lobster gnocchi. Both outstanding.

I had the fried snapper and fries, great. Wife had the grouper and it was great.

Had a bunch of sides for the table.

All the desserts were passed around and man they were hitting hard.

Few bottles of champs to start, somm hooked us up on some burgundy and a New Zealand Pinot.

I had a 73 Madeira to cap off the night.

Loved it. Will 100% be back. Everyone really enjoyed it.
bularry
CammoTX said:

I'll be going soon
bularry
Grouper is the dish. Also lots of caviar options if you want cold.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

CammoTX said:

I'll be going soon

The What's Eric Eating podcast just did an episode today on their visit there.
GoBearsGo
Headed to Greece, southern Italy and Sicily on a cruise next week. I'll post some food pics while I'm gone.
CammoTX
Houston Restaurant Weeks has been extended through end of September
bularry
CammoTX said:

Interesting.

Went to Hamsa for the first time Wed. night. We did the Restaurants week menu since it has several options. Really liked the food. Good wine list, too. I would say most of the flavors were unique, even though similar to common mediterranean food places in descriptions of the food, just enough of an elevated feel to give it more depth and character. Lovely space, too.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

CammoTX said:

Interesting.

Went to Hamsa for the first time Wed. night. We did the Restaurants week menu since it has several options. Really liked the food. Good wine list, too. I would say most of the flavors were unique, even though similar to common mediterranean food places in descriptions of the food, just enough of an elevated feel to give it more depth and character. Lovely space, too.
we love that place.
CTCBear
Where in Sicily are. you going?
GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

Where in Sicily are. you going?

I'll have to look at the ports once we get on the boat tomorrow.

He was last nights dinner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.