Football
Sponsored by

Some Drastic thoughts on hiring and firing . . .

30,359 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BUbearinARK
Civil5462
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CutTheTVoff said:

OldSchoolBU said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

We don't have a personnel problem, we have a leadership.

Fire this guy and then what? Let the same boobs that got us into this play another round of hire by committee?

No thanks.

We need to build a separate board of regents for sports and let them manage the program and strip it away from the remaining regents.

The idea that football decisions are made by the amateurs on the Baylor Board is the entire problem.
You do realize Mack Rhoades is 100% responsible for this hire right?

Who hired Rhoades?
Don't quote me on this, but I think the BOR did.
BillDauterive
Quote:

Oh, and BTW, that IDIOT Lane Kiffin cost us a N.C. against Texas by having Reggie Bush on the sideline on that infamous 4th and 1 call. Had we made it - game over, we win. But NOOOO.

Sic'On

la1037
Grizz Air said:

Agree with OP. Maybe we could keep Rhule on for a 5 figure salary to be team chaplain or player development coach or whatever. Just nothing involving x's and o's.

He could coach Ping Pong as well.
la1037
OldSchoolBU said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Fire this guy and then what? Let the same boobs that got us into this play another round of hire by committee?

No thanks.

We need to build a separate board of regents for sports and let them manage the program and strip it away from the remaining regents.

The idea that football decisions are made by the amateurs on the Baylor Board is the entire problem.
please tell me you don't really believe this? I feel my IQ dropping by reading posts like this. You do realize Mack Rhoades is 100% responsible for this hire right? Board of regents had zero influence on this hire. If Rhule fails (he won't), Mack is going down with the ship.

We need more intelligence on this football board.

The irony is so thick on this post it's staggering.
soren
I've had similar thoughts.
soren
EasyE said:

Promote Joey M. He has a history of bulding up a program in Texas to a championship level like someone else we all know and is getting his feet wet at the collegiate ranks.

I've had similar thoughts. (Should have quoted for context.)
RightRevBear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

RightRevBear said:

Rev. Dr. Elmer Gantry said:

I
The root of Baylor's problem is the BOR. Dr. Reynold's was right to insulate BU from the ratchet-headed fundies, but made no prvision for a regulated regents board. All that we have is a self appointed & anointed board, which is mostly incestuous at its core. The handful of regents who are calling the shots do not know that they don't know. Being a successful business person & having a boatload of money does not mean that one knows split peas from okra in all situations.
The only problem with Dr. Reynold's plan was that it didn't work. I made a post on Baylorfans that showed the amount of regents who attend fundamentalist SBC churches. It was a large portion of them who attend fundamentalist churches.

there are some kooky fruity people on our board.

That's the WHOLE problem.

Here are a few examples.

Murff- charter member of Prestonwood, wife is on staff there
Jeffrey- Associate pastor at Prestonwood
Lovvorn- FBC Dallas
Jay Allison-Prestonwood
Beauchamp- 2nd Baptist Houston
Reeter-2nd Baptist Houston
Fisher-2nd Baptist Houston

These were the easy ones to pick out because their church affiliation is on their Baylor bio.
http://www.baylor.edu/boardofregents/index.php?id=937243
bubbadog
RightRevBear said:

Here are a few examples.

Lovvorn- FBC Dallas
Jay Allison-Prestonwood

These were the easy ones to pick out because their church affiliation is on their Baylor bio.
Every one on that list should be out on their ass.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
MidWestBear2010
Bump...
Wichitabear
Well we all know he probably needs to be fired. Who in the **** is going to do it! You?
Wichitabear
But what about that great tennis coach he got us?
Wichitabear
Lololol, sorry
NoBSU
RightRevBear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

RightRevBear said:

Rev. Dr. Elmer Gantry said:

I
The root of Baylor's problem is the BOR. Dr. Reynold's was right to insulate BU from the ratchet-headed fundies, but made no prvision for a regulated regents board. All that we have is a self appointed & anointed board, which is mostly incestuous at its core. The handful of regents who are calling the shots do not know that they don't know. Being a successful business person & having a boatload of money does not mean that one knows split peas from okra in all situations.
The only problem with Dr. Reynold's plan was that it didn't work. I made a post on Baylorfans that showed the amount of regents who attend fundamentalist SBC churches. It was a large portion of them who attend fundamentalist churches.

there are some kooky fruity people on our board.

That's the WHOLE problem.

Here are a few examples.

Lovvorn- FBC Dallas
Jay Allison-Prestonwood

Just use the Wayback Machine Internet Archive and look up the main two committees for Friends of Baylor (Friends of Bob). Then you add Gray, Robinson, and Hixson to the list. That is your main allied group on this board.
BellCountyBear

What is up with this dude's hair?!
PartyBear
This looks like a BOR for Liberty not Baylor. Embarrassing.
Stranger
I wrote that stuff, huh? A year ago? I could have written it last night. It still rings true. Thanks NoBSU for dredging that up.

Face facts, folks. Has anything changed? Do we see any signs at all of little Matty turning things around? Like any good preacher he seems to recruit fairly well. But Lord, he can't seem to coach em up when he gets em.

As old Tennessee Ernie Ford might have sung (paraphrased), "we're another year older and deeper in debt". Look at the stands at the shiny new stadium. Getting emptier by the week.

Baylor needs some relief. Now!!

Rhule and Rhoads are failed projects. Ray Charles could see it.

Waylon Jennings once sang, "ain't living long like this"!

Let's don't dredge up this post again a year from now and say why do we keep continuing down this road?
I'm a Bearbacker
ABC BEAR
OldSchoolBU said:

he will have 4-5 years to get the job done. End of story. Delude yourselves with whatever nonsense you want to in the interim but he will have that time frame. He needs to be winning championships by the end of that time frame.

Your comparisons to Steele and Beall hold no weight other than they all have an l in their last name (so did Briles). Rhule has a track record of winning championships in the top G5 conference similar to guys like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban before they took power 5 jobs.

Football is entertainment. Enjoy watching this work of beauty that will be carved out of a very ugly piece of marble that looks ugliest when the first chisel strikes it.
Say what? Rhule is best compared to Dave Roberts who was canned after 2 seasons and 4 wins. One of his wins was against Texas and he still got tossed.
NoBSU
Stranger said:

I wrote that stuff, huh? A year ago? I could have written it last night. It still rings true. Thanks NoBSU for dredging that up.

Face facts, folks. Has anything changed? Do we see any signs at all of little Matty turning things around? Like any good preacher he seems to recruit fairly well. But Lord, he can't seem to coach em up when he gets em.

As old Tennessee Ernie Ford might have sung (paraphrased), "we're another year older and deeper in debt". Look at the stands at the shiny new stadium. Getting emptier by the week.

Baylor needs some relief. Now!!

Rhule and Rhoads are failed projects. Ray Charles could see it.

Waylon Jennings once sang, "ain't living long like this"!

Let's don't dredge up this post again a year from now and say why do we keep continuing down this road?
I didn't look at the date, recognize it as old, or pull the old thread up.

You know how the search committees are going to go a year ago or a year from now.
Pale Rider
If he isn't winning in 2019, then he will be gone before 2020.
That means I have to wait a whole other year again.
This is getting so old and I'm not getting any younger.
REvansBU71
BellCountyBear said:

What is up with this dude's hair?!

To part or not to part, that is the question.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Amarillobear
I enjoy reading what people have to say on this site and I generally just try to stay positive about the other posters when I post but I disagree with your post about firing him already. We need to support the program and realize the coaches Coach their hearts out on the field but this is a young team making mistakes that the coaches will soon correct. I see nothing but bright spots when I watch this team and see a lot of young players that will make us proud when they figure it all out. The offensive line is still in a state of flux and it needs to gel some. I think the future is very bright. Hang in there.

Sic 'me Bears!
I am a Baylor letterman, a Baylor graduate and I love Baylor.
REvansBU71
The modern equivalent to a torch and pitchfork situation is: BANNER BANNER BANNER!!!

We might need a bigger plane and bigger banner to include thoughts on:

Coaching Staff
AD
BOR
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
RegentCoverup
la1037 said:

OldSchoolBU said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

No thanks.

please tell me you don't really believe this? I feel my IQ dropping by reading posts like this. You do realize Mack Rhoades is 100% responsible for this hire right? Board of regents had zero influence on this hire. If Rhule fails (he won't), Mack is going down with the ship.

We need more intelligence on this football board.

The irony is so thick on this post it's staggering.
Paging Old School BU....we just lost to DUKE!
RegentCoverup
aledocrow said:

There are differences with Rhule's situation and the Steele era

First, Steele was willing to let the BOR make his decisions for him. He couldn't even chose his own staff. Why any coach would accept a job under those conditions is beyond me. That was an indicator of where we were headed with Steele Rhule has picked his own coaching stafF - and they look like good coaches to me.

Second, Steele came in with a lot of established players with a pipeline of decent recruits from his predecessor. Rhule does not have that luxury. Many many players left (remember Stidham?) All of the he commits for this year except for one de-committed. True, he was able to find a lot of good kids, but not the ones that would have gone to the big schools.

Did anyone think we were going to win games with a team that has no offensive line depth and starting a freshman center?? Did anyone think that all of a sudden we were going to play lights-out defense?? I am hugely disappointed that we have already lost two of the games that had the best chance of winning this year, but I am not altogether surprised about it.

Rhule understands that the cupboard is pretty bare. He knows there is a long road ahead of us. That us why he is investing in so many true freshman playing so early. He wants deep experience in a couple of years and is prepared to lose a few games to gave that. We actually get back to being competitive if he's strategy works.

Is he going to be good coach or a bad coach? I don't know yet and neither does anyone else on this board. I know that it is too early tell. Let's stop being the fair-weathered fans and act like we can support our teams in the bad times as well as the good times. Those boys deserve better than that. Coach Rhule needs the chance to build a progrsm. Nobody is coming to win instantly. Maybe we need to realize that truth.
Anyone care to comment? Some valid observations here..
Pale Rider
Yeah, I'm thinking that post is from 2017.
PartyBear
REvansBU71 said:

The modern equivalent to a torch and pitchfork situation is: BANNER BANNER BANNER!!!

We might need a bigger plane and bigger banner to include thoughts on:

Coaching Staff
AD
BOR
The banner is a waste of money since no one is at the stadium but the two teams playing and coaching staffs.
RegentCoverup
I'm certainly not enjoying the inevitable meltdown that follows a loss to Duke, but it exposes the leadership problem in the organization.

The question I asked a few people when we were in the midst of Briles success was, "What's our plan if Briles suddenly leaves? " Pointing out that he would take ALL of his coaches, kill our recruiting, and probably spit venom at us for one reason or another. It shouldn't have been a surprise. Briles coaching tenure averaged 7 years. He sold himself as a turnaround guy and was on year 8. Whatever the reason, he wanted to leave.

That won't happen I was told. And if he did, they'd keep certain coaches and Ian would have a short list of candidates. What happened to that? Were their handcuff contracts I wasn't aware of?

Granted, the Baylor Board of Regents threw the first punch, but Briles did exactly as I predicted.. And it's the reason why he is kryptonite to AD's looking for a coach. And Ian? Well, he turned out to the the shady, duplicitous politician others had warned us about. Ian schemed with Briles to cover his ass, and he had ZERO loyalty to the people that paid him generously. No one held him accountable.

So now we're right back to the question I asked when Briles was winning.
There is no plan. There never was a plan. Briles arguably won in spite of the organization, not because of it.

And now the people that helped burn it all down need to explain where we go from here.

But I'll tell ya now, we'd be better burning off regents than sweating over the next coach.

The_barBEARian
Is MR's buyout $14M or $28M?
PartyBear
You think we didnt turn around until the 15 season? Year 8?

Look Rhoades had a stated plan. Hire someone who runs a Briles like offense to keep the good times rolling. Not sure what the hell happened to the plan. I really dont. Maybe Rhule lied to get the job and Rhoades was bamboozled. Kind of like the bowl pledge for this year to keep the alums and fans on board. I really dont know. I do think that Rhoades did have a plan and this was not it obviously.
57Bear
Does it make a difference? Clifton Robinson is reported to have said that Baylor has never been better off financially than he is now.
oldbear69
OldSchoolBU said:

he will have 4-5 years to get the job done. End of story. Delude yourselves with whatever nonsense you want to in the interim but he will have that time frame. He needs to be winning championships by the end of that time frame.

Your comparisons to Steele and Beall hold no weight other than they all have an l in their last name (so did Briles). Rhule has a track record of winning championships in the top G5 conference similar to guys like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban before they took power 5 jobs.

Football is entertainment. Enjoy watching this work of beauty that will be carved out of a very ugly piece of marble that looks ugliest when the first chisel strikes it.
RegentCoverup
57Bear said:

Does it make a difference? Clifton Robinson is reported to have said that Baylor has never been better off financially than he is now.
Weirdly enough, that may be true.

People don't believe it, but the masses don't want to risk their future to state run higher education. For the same reason they don't like standing in line at the Dept of Motor Vehicles.

A Baylor education is an easy sell..
Dia del DougO
I think the only hope now is for God to call Rhule to coach at Rutgers.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Pecos 45
notbubbleboy said:

Solid. I'll say though that Rhule is at least not completely dislikeable, as was Steele. I was around for beall but not old enough to remember how likeable he was.
I was a student at BU under Beall (much like Stranger) and Beall was likeable enough, he was just a terrible coach.
Pecos 45
Pale Rider said:

If he isn't winning in 2019, then he will be gone before 2020.
That means I have to wait a whole other year again.
This is getting so old and I'm not getting any younger.
Dude, I share your pain.
Graduated in '74 and suffered through Beall AND Steele.

How long, oh, Lord, how long?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.