Football
Sponsored by

Some Drastic thoughts on hiring and firing . . .

30,356 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BUbearinARK
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The only one in this threads fixated on Art Briles is the one his screen name has the same initials as the school CAB works for. I don't know if anyone in any of these forums brings him up more than you.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MilliVanilli
historian said:

The only one in this threads fixated on Art Briles is the one his screen name has the same initials as the school CAB works for. I don't know if anyone in any of these forums brings him up more than you.
You went out of your way to tell us how you think your favorite high school coach was thrown under the bus without any evidence and demanded to see evidence otherwise for the umpteenth time.

You're a Caber High hack, rinse and repeat.

Always someone else's problem you can't get over the past.

You're an absolute bore.

Reverend
These two juveniles must have something on the owners.

There is no other explanation for this trash being allowed to continue.

Even racist comments are fine.
MilliVanilli
Reverend said:

Lulz, Caber high is livid that it keeps being *****-slapped by reality, it's a conspiracy I tell ya'.
historian
I never demanded anything. I just noted that I had never seen any evidence.

You really should stop obsessing over our former coach. It is still possible for someone to note that he accomplished great things at Baylor without it being anything else.

It's now the Rhule era, we are 6-0 (at least you can acknowledge that), we will go to a bowl game, and we are likely to end the season with 8-9 wins or more. All good news. As I've said before elsewhere, I believe that Rhule has the potential to be better than CAB. That would be wonderful.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MilliVanilli
historian said:

I never demanded anything. I just noted that I had never seen any evidence.

You really should stop obsessing over our former coach. It is still possible for someone to note that he accomplished great things at Baylor without it being anything else.

It's now the Rhule era, we are 6-0 (at least you can acknowledge that), we will go to a bowl game, and we are likely to end the season with 8-9 wins or more. All good news. As I've said before elsewhere, I believe that Rhule has the potential to be better than CAB. That would be wonderful.
Which is willful ignorance you think repetition will redeem.

It is now the Rhule era, Briles is rightfully dismissed, so quit moaning.

Lulz that reality checks to your incessant repetition of the stupid is someone else's obsession in Caber High world.

End of story.

Reverend
MilliVanilli said:

Reverend said:

Lulz, Caber high is livid that it keeps being *****-slapped by reality, it's a conspiracy I tell ya'.
I wasn't talking to you.
BaylorRocks
I can't help but sit here and LMAO seeing all those posts from X and Milli, which I am sure are filled with "caber" baiting, trolling and attacking, and wondering if they really don't realize that 99% of us don't even see/read what they are posting or even care. I guess they are just amusing each other....in some sad way.

Sic'em
xiledinok
Reverend said:

You live behind gated walls and have zero acceptance of minorities who oppose your values. You have done zero for minorities unless they need their jock sniffed.
MilliVanilli
zunooreo said:

I can't help but sit here and LMAO seeing all those posts from X and Milli, which I am sure are filled with "caber" baiting, trolling and attacking, and wondering if they really don't realize that 99% of us don't even see/read what they are posting or even care. I guess they are just amusing each other....in some sad way.

Sic'em
It's impressive it gets under your skin when you swear you can't see it or care about it.

How dare you Caber High trolls have to account for how stupid your posting history has been.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

You don't have any right to demand anything from someone else.

You think our 0-7 start in 2017 was fine, nothing to complain about? Sure, that's your right, and yes, we're all glad things improved since then.

But you don't own the team, in fact you have no more to do with the team than any other Baylor fan, so no, you don't have any place to make demands of someone else.

And yes, obsessing on harassing other fans for something said in 2017 shows a petty, spiteful character on your part.

Go focus on old posts if that's your thing. Most of us will just enjoy the current success, and not pretend someone has to be perfect to be a fan.
You've utterly missed the point. Your run of the mill complainers aren't the ones getting called out here. I don't think anyone has a problem with measured, well thought out and pointed criticism. The ones who are being called out -- and justifiably so -- are those who felt compelled to call Matt Rhule a failure two games into his tenure and wore their hater label like a badge of honor.

Those people burned through any credibility they ever had here and deserve to be force-fed their medicine before their opinions are ever taken seriously again.
xiledinok
zunooreo said:

Sic'em
General society laughs at you. You side with Briles.

Where is TysonBu or Rex? Local gang bangers want to feed him to their pets. Those pets already ate Ish Wilson's starved out dogs.
RebelT
Oldbear83 said:

Dia del DougO said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bunation said:

Unfortunately, with our BOR, a coach with Rhule's resume WAS the best we could hope to hire. That hasn't changed.

By the time Baylor is ready to replace Rhule, Baylor will be a step down from UNT.
UNT just beat Arkansas, and it was a butt-whipping. Zero chance Rhule could do that against an SEC team this year.

LMFAO.

This gem cannot remain buried in this thread. This might become my new signature.

Oldbear once again being exposed as a pathetic troll.
RebelT
bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

You think our 0-7 start in 2017 was fine, nothing to complain about? Sure, that's your right, and yes, we're all glad things improved since then.

But you don't own the team, in fact you have no more to do with the team than any other Baylor fan, so no, you don't have any place to make demands of someone else.

And yes, obsessing on harassing other fans for something said in 2017 shows a petty, spiteful character on your part.

Go focus on old posts if that's your thing. Most of us will just enjoy the current success, and not pretend someone has to be perfect to be a fan.
You've utterly missed the point. Your run of the mill complainers aren't the ones getting called out here. I don't think anyone has a problem with measured, well thought out and pointed criticism. The ones who are being called out -- and justifiably so -- are those who felt compelled to call Matt Rhule a failure two games into his tenure and wore their hater label like a badge of honor.

Those people burned through any credibility they ever had here and deserve to be force-fed their medicine before their opinions are ever taken seriously again.

Hear, hear.
Oldbear83
bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

No, you are ducking the point. Here we are, undefeated and nationally ranked, and your focus is to go after other Baylor fans.

You wanna be a malicious, bitter malcontent? Fine, but don't confuse that with supporting the team.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
RebelT
Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

No, you are ducking the point. Here we are, undefeated and nationally ranked, and your focus is to go after other Baylor fans.

You wanna be a malicious, bitter malcontent? Fine, but don't confuse that with supporting the team.

OldBear: "I've been made to look like the ****ing idiot that I am, so everybody make sure and look at this shiny thing over here that has absolutely nothing to do with what a pathetic piece of **** that I am!"

FOAD.
MilliVanilli
Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Aww, doesn't want to account for the words he's said, thinks he's a victim for being dick for four years.

Oldbear83
RebelT said:

Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

OldBear: "I've been made to look like the ****ing idiot that I am, so everybody make sure and look at this shiny thing over here that has absolutely nothing to do with what a pathetic piece of **** that I am!"

FOAD.
You post like you belong on TCU or A&M's board, Rebel.

Not sure that's a look you should want.
MilliVanilli
Oldbear83 said:

RebelT said:

Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

FOAD.
You post like you belong on TCU or A&M's board, Rebel.

Not sure that's a look you should want.
Were you looking at your own posting history when you decided to comment?

You have no irony in you do you?
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Like most others here, I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I couldn't be more pleased with our team and the direction of our football program, and I've posted far more about that than the clowns who've been showing their asses here the last three years. But I don't have a problem sharing an opinion on said clowns when the opportunities arise. You lot deserve a lot more heat than you've taken here for the crap y'all spewed about Matt Rhule and his coaching capabilities.

Most have already taken their medicine, moved on and been welcomed back onto the bandwagon. Pride won't allow you to unfortunately.
D. C. Bear
Stranger said:

Many of you are acquainted with me and know that I have been personally attending Baylor football games, non-stop for over 62 years. I've served on college and public school boards and had to hire and fire coaches, superintendents, college presidents and untold school teachers. In addition, for over 15 years i had 70 plus employees at any given time.

I owned Baylor football tickets in all sports for many years and have contributed well over six figures to Baylor Athletics

That doesn't mean I'm smart, but I have plenty of experience. I've seen this sort of train wreck before. I was told this by a smart man many years ago and truth and experience bear out this statement:

"It's not the employees you fire that cost you the most money. It's the ones you DON'T fire."

That addage has been proven true to me many, many times. It's really hard sometime to let go of a guy that you just knew would work out, especially if you have a lot of money invested in him. If you've stuck your neck out on a hiring decision it's hard to back down. Nobody likes to be proven dead-ass wrong.

Matt Rhule may be a good Christian man, a great family man, a man of character and a hale fellow well met. But a good fit as a football coach for the Baylor Bears, he is not.

Baylor has a bad habit of hiring guys like that.

Bill Beall and Kevin Steele were two of those guys that fit that profile. In both cases the Board of Regents made those hires because they fit the Baylor image. They passed over some coaches that would have probably won them more ball games. I know of one of those "pass-overs" that won a national championship at another university.

Kevin Steele was hired because a couple of those all-knowing Regents were impressed by his bs that he attended Sunday School and Church every Sunday, even during football season. Another applicant was asked by the BOR if he was a church-goer if he attended faithfully. He answered that he did, but not during football season. An honest answer was apparently not what they wanted. The only thing that mattered was the color of his prayer cloth.

It is my fear that the BOR acted unwisely with Rhule (:and Rhoads for that matter) because they were more interested in repairing their image (which they iniated) that to hire a real candidate.

Losers like Beall and Steele have a look and a manner about them. Steele choked his first two games at Baylor and the remarks that followed both losses were telling. I was sitting in a skybox as a guest of a letterman/donor at the UNLV debacle. It was the first game for the skyboxes and spirits were high for the new regime. Like everyone else we cringed at what we saw on the field.

Steele had invited us to the press conference after the game and what we saw made us sick. Instead of owning up to his mistake Steele slimed around some excuse that he was trying to teach his players to win. His inability to look anyone in the eye and his preaching of that goody two shoes theology during the press conference assured us he was in over his head and didn't have a clue about what to do to turn us around. We suffered even worse as his tenure wore on. I hate to admit it, but after the 70-22 blood letting at Cal, I bet $50 a game on Baylor's opponent and gave the points on all of the Bears remaining games that season. And I won $500 bucks. Baylor never covered.

Sadly, after that game, Baylor gave Steele a one year extension. Talk about throwing good money after bad.

So . . . down to Rhule (and Rhodes).

Rhule has that look and manner about him. My mind flashed back to that first Steele press conference. He even wears Steele's five o clock shadow. Close your eyes and you think Steele is speaking.

He has no answers. He has that same smug look and preaches those same platitudes while refusing to look anybody in the eye. He brought slow, stodgy old up-east, Big X football into Texas and has refused to try what has actually worked here in recent years. Instead of embracing success he has decided to shove his will upon this team. I realize there are injuries,but this guy is offering no solutions.

You all know what Steele did to Baylor's program. For you young pups (I was a student then) Beall went winless his first year, won one game his second year and won a whopping two his third year, none of them conference games. In his defense, Beall just never knew what to do. Lord, do we wish we only had a three year deal on Rhule?

So to the chase . . . This guy will never produce a winner. He ain't got it. He don't fit. It's time to p*ss on the fire and call in the dogs. The hunt is over. At least Arkansas had the balls to fire Jack Crowe after losing to Citadel at the first of the season. Frank Broyles knew. He'd looked him in the eyes and listened to his excuses. I doubt we have anybody on the BOR that could pull that trick.

That's what needs to happen toot-sweet. Baylor will not win another game this year under this good Christian man. If they do, it will be celebrated as a moral victory so that Rhule can live to fight another day and draw another $4 million paycheck.

Pay the guy off. So what if it costs $14 million. They've given more than that to women crying rape. (some were legitimate, for sure). The BOR will soon have payments on a stadium they can't afford when the fans and donors decide to leave and sit on their wallets.

As I mentioned earlier, they cannot afford NOT to fire him.! The time is now not later.
Wow. Post did not age well. What a combination of hubris and ignorance! How much did you lose betting against the Rhule?
Oldbear83
bear2be2 said:

Most have already taken their medicine, moved on and been welcomed back onto the bandwagon. Pride won't allow you to unfortunately.
I ate my crow last year, and to those whose behavior made it appropriate.

I will not repeat it, nor to anyone who thinks they deserve it because they demand it rudely enough.

Go pound sand.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

I will not repeat it, nor to anyone who thinks they deserve it because they demand it rudely enough.

Go pound sand.
Good. No need to do it again. But why are you fighting so hard to defend a bunch of ****heels? Let them answer/fend for themselves.

If you're on board with Rhule, have acknowledged you were wrong to jump to the conclusions you did and have adopted a more thoughtful, measured approach to critiquing the staff/program going forward, you're good by me. But going to bat for the clowns who have not done those things sends a weird message that I'm having trouble deciphering.
Oldbear83
bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Go pound sand.
Good. No need to do it again. But why are you fighting so hard to defend a bunch of ****heels? Let them answer/fend for themselves.

If you're on board with Rhule, have acknowledge you were wrong to jump to the conclusions you did and have adopted a more thoughtful, measured approach to critiquing the staff/program, you're good by me. But going to bat for the clowns who have not done those things sends a weird message that I'm having trouble deciphering.
My problem is twofold.

1. People who make mistakes ought to have those pointed out. But insults and profanity and crude invective will only harden the original opinion. It's not going to help convince people they were wrong, by demanding they be abused.

2. The loudest. most strident people here making those demands are not part of the team, nor the school. They act like the worst fans from schools we all here at SicEm365 rightly mock for the damage they do to their school's image.

To put it another way, when I was teaching my daughter to drive, I warned her about a-hole drivers who cut people off, turn in front of you without signaling, brake-check and all of that. I explained that as annoying and wrong as those people are, you don't win if you respond in kind or worse, try to 'teach them a lesson' by cutting them off, blasting your horn, etc.

Nope, you recognize them for what they are, and leave them alone because you can't educate a moron while he's busy lowering his IQ.

Same here. There's a lot of strong emotion on this point, and all it really does is provoke some here to prove they are immature and have no interest in moving things ahead. They just want to do the internet equivalent of shoot dogs with bb guns.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Go pound sand.

If you're on board with Rhule, have acknowledge you were wrong to jump to the conclusions you did and have adopted a more thoughtful, measured approach to critiquing the staff/program, you're good by me. But going to bat for the clowns who have not done those things sends a weird message that I'm having trouble deciphering.
My problem is twofold.

1. People who make mistakes ought to have those pointed out. But insults and profanity and crude invective will only harden the original opinion. It's not going to help convince people they were wrong, by demanding they be abused.

2. The loudest. most strident people here making those demands are not part of the team, nor the school. They act like the worst fans from schools we all here at SicEm365 rightly mock for the damage they do to their school's image.

To put it another way, when I was teaching my daughter to drive, I warned her about a-hole drivers who cut people off, turn in front of you without signaling, brake-check and all of that. I explained that as annoying and wrong as those people are, you don't win if you respond in kind or worse, try to 'teach them a lesson' by cutting them off, blasting your horn, etc.

Nope, you recognize them for what they are, and leave them alone because you can't educate a moron while he's busy lowering his IQ.

Same here. There's a lot of strong emotion on this point, and all it really does is provoke some here to prove they are immature and have no interest in moving things ahead. They just want to do the internet equivalent of shoot dogs with bb guns.
I think both of your points are fair and reasonable.

I have tried -- and failed at times -- to match the civility I've received in these discussions. But my primary goal, unlike some others here, isn't to rub folks' nose in it so much as push this board passed the tired CAB/BOR nonsense and raise the level of discussion that occurs on here. And the only way either will really happen is if people on all sides admit and learn from past mistakes.

This board -- and Baylorfans before it -- has largely been a cesspool since Briles was fired and Rhule was hired, and the way Rhule was treated/talked about by Briles loyalists had a ton to do with that. Criticism's fine. What we saw here went well beyond that, and I have trouble letting those folks off the hook without a basic acknowledgement that they were wrong and won't act that same way the next time we lose or with future coaches.

That said, I've called out vindictive, over-the-top behavior on my side of the aisle, too. That's not productive either.

I'm just ready for those who trashed/gave up on Rhule to admit they were wrong to do so and for those who have been on board to show some grace. This fanbase has been fractured too long. It's time for everybody to get on the bandwagon and put petty disagreements in the past where they belong.
ColomboLQ
I would complain about Milli and X posting any of their racist or vile personal attacks, but at this point, it's obvious no one on this site gives 2 ****s about that, and they have been given free reign to attack and denigrate as much as they see fit. For some reason (and I won't speculate), the owners of this site are ok and welcome this type of material from these two on their forum.
The_barBEARian
I think the owners allow the free board to be the wild west of Baylor Fandom... which frankly I agree with. If they were doing this crap on the premium board it would be a whole other story.

And there was a time when they were moderating the free board, and I complained about it. So I'm not going to be a hypocrite and ask them to do it now just bcs I dont like Milli or X.
RebelT
Oldbear83 said:

I'm just glad IdiotBear83 has admitted that facts don't actually matter and that he just makes up his mind based on whatever he deems convenient.

What a pathetic troll.
wuzzybear
Reserving my opinion until 1-11, 7-6, 6-?, becomes 3-9. You may be right, but when you have a kick em when their down approach like Briles, it is a whole different story. To me it depends on the D adapting to the opposing O. If Rhule can stop big 12 O's then keep him and bring another Briles type for O coordinator. I just do not think Rhule should be let go this soon. If he can bring the best O minds and play D the way we have been flying to the ball then it will be fine.

Give the man his due. Not his fault for being hired.
BBWCBear
Yawn...
Oldbear83
Put the Klansman on 'ignore'. The thread is cleaner already ...
MilliVanilli
ColomboLQ said:

I would complain about Milli and X posting any of their racist or vile personal attacks, but at this point, it's obvious no one on this site gives 2 ****s about that, and they have been given free reign to attack and denigrate as much as they see fit. For some reason (and I won't speculate), the owners of this site are ok and welcome this type of material from these two on their forum.
Lulz, you think a reality check on a message board is a reign of terror...what a snowflake.

Meanwhile, you trolls from Caber High are actual misogynistic racist dicks with membrane thin skin to show for your efforts.

And THAT is why no one cares about what you have to whine about.

xiledinok
ColomboLQ said:

Like you haven't gotten personal. How did it turn out? Seems Art officially made sure he'll never be relevant again after last week's player problems.
gold rewards
Mods, please stop all of this. Thanks.
boxster
The OP by Stranger is the most arrogant and ignorant thing I think I've read on this site...and destructive. I guarantee people like him drive away more balanced fans who want to support Baylor sports, and are rooting for the best for the coaches and teams. And this kind of mean-spirited stuff is also the kind of garbage that could make a wife of a coach want to get as far away from Baylor as possible...which I think contributed to Rhule entertaining NFL job offers. (Not necessarily posts on Sicem365, but the attitude that probably permeates the Waco/Woodway community that she's subjected to.)

Stranger says he's happy when Baylor is successful, but based on a post like this, I simply don't believe him. People who are so dogmatic with their opinions end up wanting their opinions to be successful moreso than any thing else around them...because their identity is tied so closely with those hot opinions. Rhule leading Baylor to such quick success makes Stranger look quite foolish, and he can't be happy about that.

Bringing these old posts up are excellent, and a learning opportunity for all who are willing. Give people the benefit of the doubt, complain less, assume you don't have all the answers, be more hopeful than hopeless, remember patience is a virtue, look for the best in people, and so on.

----------------------

I'm embarrassed that this page serves as the front door for new people to come to learn more about Baylor, Baylor fans, and Baylor athletics. What a horrible representative of Baylor this forum has been for the last couple of years. Hopefully it will start getting better, when people see how much more enjoyable it is to be hopeful fans than angry pessimists.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.