Football
Sponsored by

Some Drastic thoughts on hiring and firing . . .

30,378 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BUbearinARK
bubbadog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearKamp said:

If being down 23-0 at half to Duke doesn't wake some people up, nothing will. Rhule is simply in over his head and he hasn't even started conference yet. His best chance to win is now sadly next week against KU. Come real conference...it's gonna be ugly. These idiots at the top making decisions better take note as our fans are already not showing up and emptying the stadium before half.

Empty stands will definitely get their attention. The BoR will notice, though I'm not convinced they will care
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Oldbear83
Dia del DougO said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bunation said:

Unfortunately, with our BOR, a coach with Rhule's resume WAS the best we could hope to hire. That hasn't changed.

By the time Baylor is ready to replace Rhule, Baylor will be a step down from UNT.
UNT just beat Arkansas, and it was a butt-whipping. Zero chance Rhule could do that against an SEC team this year.
Pale Rider
Oldbear83 said:

Dia del DougO said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bunation said:

Unfortunately, with our BOR, a coach with Rhule's resume WAS the best we could hope to hire. That hasn't changed.

By the time Baylor is ready to replace Rhule, Baylor will be a step down from UNT.
UNT just beat Arkansas, and it was a butt-whipping. Zero chance Rhule could do that against an SEC team this year.
Tou-double-che!
bubbadog
Oldbear83 said:

Dia del DougO said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bunation said:

Agreed. Arkansas and Tennessee so far appear to be the weakest in their respective divisions. If what we've seen so far from Arkansas is typical, we might have a chance against them.

Missouri would be us about like Duke did. Tennessee would beat us by 14 points at least, and they'll probably improve. I've seen Kentucky; they'd put up 50+ points on Baylor. I saw a good of Vanderbilt vs. Notre Dame last week; Vandy has a solid defense and is probably 17-24 points better than BU.

And that's just the bottom group in the SEC.

I thought maybe the first game might be getting some of the kinks out and playing without a couple of starters. But the defense that gave up 40 to Duke in Waco doesn't look any better than the one that gave up 27 to Abilene Christian.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Malbec
Oldbear83 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Like it or not, Rhule will get this year 2018 and then 2019 and 2020 to prove himself.

After that if a 7 or 8 win season hasn't been achieved it's time to part ways.
We're going to lose a lot of games, and hear tons of excuses how it's somehow important to 'give Rhule enough time'.

Rhule's best win so far is Kansas last year, and now we're wondering if we will lose at home to Kansas.

That's not what you get with a competent head coach.

Not to be cruel, but the longer we keep Rhule, the more damage he will do.

It's time to make clear to Rhule to win or leave. No more excuses, no more patience.

He burned his 'honeymoon' when he lost to Liberty, now it's time to prove he isn't a fraud.
I fear you are correct; and not just damage to the program, but also damage to some really good coaches' careers that he convinced to participate in his "process." The stench of losing is hard to wash off. If he doesn't somehow turn this thing around this year and win 3 or 4 more games, it would be doing everybody a favor to cut him loose. Even Rhule. At least then he would be able to tell people that the only reason he couldn't succeed at Baylor was because they didn't give him a chance. Someone in the G5 will give him a mulligan based on that. If BU keeps him and he continues to lose, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt.

Now, if he manages to win 5 or 6 this year, and looks competitive at other times, then he's done enough to keep building.
PartyBear
Actually Temple was not God awful immediately prior to Rhule. In fact his two immediate predecessors left to become P5 HCs at Miami and BC. Rhule was the third in a row to get a P5 promotion..
PartyBear
The problem Malbec I dont see Baylor getting any better than it is now except perhaps marginally under Rhule. Giving him beyond this year will do damage to the program. The recruiting will taper off etc and then his successor really will be starting with no talent. We cannot afford to get off the rails like we did in the late 90s. We need to cut loose now and prevent the damage.

Also Rhoades will need a new HC and a dawning of a new era to help him pitch the reseating deal, unless that has been suspended indefinetly.
Johnny Bear
Forest Bueller said:

Like it or not, Rhule will get this year 2018 and then 2019 and 2020 to prove himself.

After that if a 7 or 8 win season hasn't been achieved it's time to part ways.
If nothing else, just because of the financial aspects of his 7 year contract, you are probably correct.

I'm becoming more fearful that Rhule may end up like GuyMo who got to hang around for 5 seasons, largely because he broke the long winless streak against the aggys in '04 (his 2nd season) and went 5-7 in '05 that included competitive over-time road losses to OU and the aggys. In other words, he just barely provided enough "positives" to keep a modicum of hope alive and keep him hanging around before having 2 more consecutive losing seasons, while going "0-fer" in the Big 12 in his 5th and last season. And from a financial standpoint, GuyMo didn't have anything like Rhule's contract.

So given our past history and the fact that we probably can't afford to buy Rhule out sooner, you're probably right. Unless Rhule leaves of his on accord, he's probably going to be here through at least 2020.
summaryjudged
He needs 4 years minimum imo. Tired of the sky is falling stuff. If we arent bowling by year 4 then consider his departure.
Oldbear83
summaryjudged said:

He needs 4 years minimum imo. Tired of the sky is falling stuff. If we arent bowling by year 4 then consider his departure.
Hell no.

Teaff and Briles won conference championships by then, if Ruhle does not win 4 + this year he's a fraud, if he does not go to and win a bowl by next year he's got to go

chukronos
Oldbear83 said:

Dia del DougO said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bunation said:

But, UNT has WAAAAAAYYYYYY more talented players than we do.

/s
TOBear
Really great post
ColomboLQ
summaryjudged said:

I wish I had a boss like you.
TOBear
Amen
TOBear
I will help pay for it
Russell Gym
Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

Hell no.

Teaff and Briles won conference championships by then, if Ruhle does not win 4 + this year he's a fraud, if he does not go to and win a bowl by next year he's got to go

What conference championship did Briles win at Baylor by his fourth season?
Oldbear83
Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

Hell no.

The didn't-lose-to-a-cupcake championship.
Russell Gym
Oldbear83 said:

Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

Hell no.

Outstanding. After the scandal & next realignment, that will be our new conference home.
Oldbear83
Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

Hell no.

Outstanding. After the scandal & next realignment, that will be our new conference home.
At least losing to Liberty will seem more reasonable, once we share the same conference ...
cowboycwr
summaryjudged said:

UMM no. He guaranteed a bowl trip THIS YEAR. He lost to Liberty and UTSA. If he loses to Kansas as well that is just too much. There are not many jobs where you can make a guarantee, fail to deliver, and keep your job.

His departure needs to be considered now. Not in 2 more years when we have another 30 losses or more.
PartyBear
Agree. If we lose to KU. Rhoades needs to go to the Frank Broyles playbook and Jack Crow him Saturday night or Sunday morning. Rhoades needs to already have thought about who he will make interim from the staff to finish the season in case the season did go this way.
Pale Rider
Way, way too premature Party. Way too premature.
CorsicanaBear
Pale Rider said:

Steele was fired way, way too late. Why should we not learn from our mistake?

Kipling writes in "The Lesson", "We have had no end of a lesson, it will do us no end of good."

Kipling is an optimist because he presumes people are willing to learn from their mistakes.
Illigitimus non carborundum
PartyBear
Pale Rider said:

Well only because it is Wednesday and KU should be a win. Saturday night though it may not be premature.
Forest Bueller
Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

Hell no.

BaylorBJM
Stranger said:

Many of you are acquainted with me and know that I have been personally attending Baylor football games, non-stop for over 62 years. I've served on college and public school boards and had to hire and fire coaches, superintendents, college presidents and untold school teachers. In addition, for over 15 years i had 70 plus employees at any given time.

I owned Baylor football tickets in all sports for many years and have contributed well over six figures to Baylor Athletics

That doesn't mean I'm smart, but I have plenty of experience. I've seen this sort of train wreck before. I was told this by a smart man many years ago and truth and experience bear out this statement:

"It's not the employees you fire that cost you the most money. It's the ones you DON'T fire."

That addage has been proven true to me many, many times. It's really hard sometime to let go of a guy that you just knew would work out, especially if you have a lot of money invested in him. If you've stuck your neck out on a hiring decision it's hard to back down. Nobody likes to be proven dead-ass wrong.

Matt Rhule may be a good Christian man, a great family man, a man of character and a hale fellow well met. But a good fit as a football coach for the Baylor Bears, he is not.

Baylor has a bad habit of hiring guys like that.

Bill Beall and Kevin Steele were two of those guys that fit that profile. In both cases the Board of Regents made those hires because they fit the Baylor image. They passed over some coaches that would have probably won them more ball games. I know of one of those "pass-overs" that won a national championship at another university.

Kevin Steele was hired because a couple of those all-knowing Regents were impressed by his bs that he attended Sunday School and Church every Sunday, even during football season. Another applicant was asked by the BOR if he was a church-goer if he attended faithfully. He answered that he did, but not during football season. An honest answer was apparently not what they wanted. The only thing that mattered was the color of his prayer cloth.

It is my fear that the BOR acted unwisely with Rhule (:and Rhoads for that matter) because they were more interested in repairing their image (which they iniated) that to hire a real candidate.

Losers like Beall and Steele have a look and a manner about them. Steele choked his first two games at Baylor and the remarks that followed both losses were telling. I was sitting in a skybox as a guest of a letterman/donor at the UNLV debacle. It was the first game for the skyboxes and spirits were high for the new regime. Like everyone else we cringed at what we saw on the field.

Steele had invited us to the press conference after the game and what we saw made us sick. Instead of owning up to his mistake Steele slimed around some excuse that he was trying to teach his players to win. His inability to look anyone in the eye and his preaching of that goody two shoes theology during the press conference assured us he was in over his head and didn't have a clue about what to do to turn us around. We suffered even worse as his tenure wore on. I hate to admit it, but after the 70-22 blood letting at Cal, I bet $50 a game on Baylor's opponent and gave the points on all of the Bears remaining games that season. And I won $500 bucks. Baylor never covered.

Sadly, after that game, Baylor gave Steele a one year extension. Talk about throwing good money after bad.

So . . . down to Rhule (and Rhodes).

Rhule has that look and manner about him. My mind flashed back to that first Steele press conference. He even wears Steele's five o clock shadow. Close your eyes and you think Steele is speaking.

He has no answers. He has that same smug look and preaches those same platitudes while refusing to look anybody in the eye. He brought slow, stodgy old up-east, Big X football into Texas and has refused to try what has actually worked here in recent years. Instead of embracing success he has decided to shove his will upon this team. I realize there are injuries,but this guy is offering no solutions.

You all know what Steele did to Baylor's program. For you young pups (I was a student then) Beall went winless his first year, won one game his second year and won a whopping two his third year, none of them conference games. In his defense, Beall just never knew what to do. Lord, do we wish we only had a three year deal on Rhule?

So to the chase . . . This guy will never produce a winner. He ain't got it. He don't fit. It's time to p*ss on the fire and call in the dogs. The hunt is over. At least Arkansas had the balls to fire Jack Crowe after losing to Citadel at the first of the season. Frank Broyles knew. He'd looked him in the eyes and listened to his excuses. I doubt we have anybody on the BOR that could pull that trick.

That's what needs to happen toot-sweet. Baylor will not win another game this year under this good Christian man. If they do, it will be celebrated as a moral victory so that Rhule can live to fight another day and draw another $4 million paycheck.

Pay the guy off. So what if it costs $14 million. They've given more than that to women crying rape. (some were legitimate, for sure). The BOR will soon have payments on a stadium they can't afford when the fans and donors decide to leave and sit on their wallets.

As I mentioned earlier, they cannot afford NOT to fire him.! The time is now not later.
bear2be2
I'm still forming my opinion, but I'm beginning to think some on this site may not know as much about football as they think they do.
xiledinok
Oldbear83 said:

Dia del DougO said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bunation said:

Zero chance you Cabers see your hero coaching a game on live television again.
historian
First of all, there is no way that Baylor will be firing Matt Rhule any time soon--especially after they just extended his contract several years (reportedly with a huge buyout) AND the contract of the AD AND the contract of the university president. That much should be obvious.

Second, with all due respect to the OP, it would be difficult if not impossible to justify doing so given that he has already brought considerable success to Baylor football.

Consider just two points (I easily could make more):

Under CMR, Baylor football went form 1-11 to 7-6 (the best 1 year improvement in the nation) to 6-0 halfway through this season. That is stunning. Yes, the 1-11 was terrible but it was probably inevitable considering how he started: players & recruits abandoning Baylor like crazy. He spent his first months on the job frantically recruiting to fill in the holes and with amazing success.

We are now 6-0 for the 5th time this decade. According to ESPN stats posted in the past 24 hours, the only other schools to have done that are Alabama, Clemson & Ohio State.

Despite some legitimate concerns about play calling & many other decisions in individual games (especially yesterday?), the team is winning. It's hard to argue with success. What's more, we are likely to end this season with 8+ wins. It's unlikely to be 10 wins & a conference title in the mix, the team's preseason goal but that was never a real possibility this year.

My main point: despite some misgivings, Baylor football seems to be on an upward trajectory. There is no compelling reason now to do anything that might upset that.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Eball
What a complete and utterly idiotic post as it turns out! Why O Why must we make snap judgments and tell everyone we are the smartest guy in the room...
MilliVanilli
Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

Hell no.

Lulz at the Caber High hot takes. He even won a bowl earlier than your asinine demands.
MilliVanilli
CorsicanaBear said:

Pale Rider said:

Steele was fired way, way too late. Why should we not learn from our mistake?

Kipling writes in "The Lesson", "We have had no end of a lesson, it will do us no end of good."

Kipling is an optimist because he presumes people are willing to learn from their mistakes.
The mistake was sent to Mount Vernon High.
MilliVanilli
Self Made Bear said:

Stranger said:

So to the chase . . . This guy will never produce a winner. He ain't got it. He don't fit. It's time to p*ss on the fire and call in the dogs. The hunt is over. At least Arkansas had the balls to fire Jack Crowe after losing to Citadel at the first of the season. Frank Broyles knew. He'd looked him in the eyes and listened to his excuses. I doubt we have anybody on the BOR that could pull that trick.

It will be at least four years before this happens. The Board has not shown one iota of competence in any matter concerning football. Plus, they would have to admit they were wrong, and as we have seen, neither they nor their cronies on this board are ever going to do that.
Actually, it's you who have to admit that you're wrong.

xiledinok
MilliVanilli said:

Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

Hell no.

Lulz at the Caber High hot takes. He even won a bowl earlier than your asinine demands.

The big question for Cabers should be whether or not the hamlet with their school boss man who lied to their fellow district competitors can win a bi district playoff game? For a 3A high school coach getting paid $82k a year, he best bring him a brass trophy.
MilliVanilli
CuddleBear said:

One of the best posts I've read...spot on! Perhaps it's time to fly a banner...YANKEE...GO HOME!
You first, Caber.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.