Football
Sponsored by

Some Drastic thoughts on hiring and firing . . .

30,379 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BUbearinARK
MilliVanilli
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grizz Air said:

Agree with OP. Maybe we could keep Rhule on for a 5 figure salary to be team chaplain or player development coach or whatever. Just nothing involving x's and o's.
You are clearly a football guru...
xiledinok
Mothra said:

OldSchoolBU said:

he will have 4-5 years to get the job done. End of story. Delude yourselves with whatever nonsense you want to in the interim but he will have that time frame. He needs to be winning championships by the end of that time frame.

Your comparisons to Steele and Beall hold no weight other than they all have an l in their last name (so did Briles). Rhule has a track record of winning championships in the top G5 conference similar to guys like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban before they took power 5 jobs.

Football is entertainment. Enjoy watching this work of beauty that will be carved out of a very ugly piece of marble that looks ugliest when the first chisel strikes it.

Most unintentionally hilarious post I've seen in years.

I was on board with the hire but there are numerous warning signs he is in way over his head. No identity in offense and terrible defense. He's a dinosaur and is going to get eaten up. There's no evidence to justify your faith he will turn it around.

This is indeed Steele all over again.

Clearly. a TAPPS high school graduate.
MilliVanilli
Compounding said:

Stranger said:

He has no answers. He has that same smug look and preaches those same platitudes while refusing to look anybody in the eye. He brought slow, stodgy old up-east, Big X football into Texas and has refused to try what has actually worked here in recent years. Instead of embracing success he has decided to shove his will upon this team. I realize there are injuries,but this guy is offering no solutions.

Very wise observations. The shoving his will shows the stubbornness. And to the massive injuries, a lot of it is his staff's fault for not balancing an already depleted roster with the need to build toughness. That is on him to an extent as well.
Man, with all the crow you have to eat you're going to have a lot of leftovers.
MilliVanilli
Krieg said:

Great post Stranger. He needs to go, and yesterday. He's going to lose the next recruiting class and will never be able to recover at that point. We need to hire someone that can win with someone else's players. This guy can't get out of his own way to do that, so he needs to get out of our way.

Also, as donors and season ticket holders, as much as I hate to say it we owe the team, students, Waco, and other alumni to not only call for it to happen, but to make it clear we won't financially support bad leadership. If they bring him back next year and have 25k people in the stadium, they'll have to fire him. That's the only real leverage we have.
Actually, it's all you Caber High trolls that need to go.

Adios.
xiledinok
REX said:

What Stranger said!

A Florida State assistant's dad. Clearly, he will be helping his son move again here very soon.
MilliVanilli
REX said:

What Stranger said!

You really do look even more pathetic with the passage of time than you do in real-time.

xiledinok
PartyBear said:

"God put me here because things like this would happen not to stop things like this from happening ". He said about the game.

Lame he needs to go. This God card is BS. Steele played it here and never used it again at anothe job.

Here is my question surely the contract has some minimal performance mandate it it. Otherwise all these coaches could take a job just show up be fire proof for a few years and just become millionaires. Surely they are not so lopsided in favor of the coach.

Is Art crying out to God because he ll have a losing district season without the kids he stuffed in an RV park? What kinda of white people let their high school kids live with their uncle in a trailer park to allow them to play 3A football?
MilliVanilli
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower said:

I ain't quitting. Personally, I don't blame Coach Rhule at all for where we are right now. He was handed a **** sandwich. This one is on Baylor's Board of Regents.
Briles did hand him a **** sandwich, you are correct.

But look at him now.
MilliVanilli
bobo said:

I remember on the old board when I called Rhodes a pos after his hire I was lambasted. Mizzou couldn't get rid of him fast enough.
Yeah, you were an idiot then and an idiot now.
MilliVanilli
bobo said:

Nor can we
Further case in point...
Oldbear83
Eball said:

What a complete and utterly idiotic post as it turns out! Why O Why must we make snap judgments and tell everyone we are the smartest guy in the room...
you mean like ignoring the wins this season, and going back to find posts you can use to harass people for what was at the time reasonable anger and concern?

I don't know. I guess some people can't just enjoy the good times.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
MilliVanilli
PartyBear said:

The cost of keeping Rhule at this point in the long term is greater than the cost of firing him even after just one year.
Oy, I hope you have seasoning for that crow.
GhettoHEBear
xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

"God put me here because things like this would happen not to stop things like this from happening ". He said about the game.

Lame he needs to go. This God card is BS. Steele played it here and never used it again at anothe job.

Here is my question surely the contract has some minimal performance mandate it it. Otherwise all these coaches could take a job just show up be fire proof for a few years and just become millionaires. Surely they are not so lopsided in favor of the coach.

Is Art crying out to God because he ll have a losing district season without the kids he stuffed in an RV park? What kinda of white people let their high school kids live with their uncle in a trailer park to allow them to play 3A football?
Art must have slept with your wife. Theres just no other explanation
xiledinok
boognish_bear said:

I think with conference realignment hovering on the horizon we don't have the luxury to play wait-and-see. I am not saying we fire him after two games But we need to keep a very short leash.

We are one of the most hated programs in college football in the country right now...add to that perennial losing.... we will for sure be left without a seat with the upcoming game of conference realignment musical chairs if we don't get back on a winning track ASAP.

You bubble boys don't know **** about college football. You former regime burned tv and screwed with our football future more than 1-11.
Big college football hates Baylor athletic department ran by horse ass Ian.
MilliVanilli
CutTheTVoff said:

OldSchoolBU said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

We don't have a personnel problem, we have a leadership.

Fire this guy and then what? Let the same boobs that got us into this play another round of hire by committee?

No thanks.

We need to build a separate board of regents for sports and let them manage the program and strip it away from the remaining regents.

The idea that football decisions are made by the amateurs on the Baylor Board is the entire problem.
You do realize Mack Rhoades is 100% responsible for this hire right?

Who hired Rhoades?
That BOR you Caber High trolls write fan fiction about.
MilliVanilli
la1037 said:

OldSchoolBU said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

We don't have a personnel problem, we have a leadership.

Fire this guy and then what? Let the same boobs that got us into this play another round of hire by committee?

No thanks.

We need to build a separate board of regents for sports and let them manage the program and strip it away from the remaining regents.

The idea that football decisions are made by the amateurs on the Baylor Board is the entire problem.
please tell me you don't really believe this? I feel my IQ dropping by reading posts like this. You do realize Mack Rhoades is 100% responsible for this hire right? Board of regents had zero influence on this hire. If Rhule fails (he won't), Mack is going down with the ship.

We need more intelligence on this football board.

The irony is so thick on this post it's staggering.
Indeed it is, you're a nincompoop that thought you were being witty.
MilliVanilli
Stranger said:

I wrote that stuff, huh? A year ago? I could have written it last night. It still rings true. Thanks NoBSU for dredging that up.

Face facts, folks. Has anything changed? Do we see any signs at all of little Matty turning things around? Like any good preacher he seems to recruit fairly well. But Lord, he can't seem to coach em up when he gets em.

As old Tennessee Ernie Ford might have sung (paraphrased), "we're another year older and deeper in debt". Look at the stands at the shiny new stadium. Getting emptier by the week.

Baylor needs some relief. Now!!

Rhule and Rhoads are failed projects. Ray Charles could see it.

Waylon Jennings once sang, "ain't living long like this"!

Let's don't dredge up this post again a year from now and say why do we keep continuing down this road?
You really like to double down on stupid.

MilliVanilli
ABC BEAR said:

OldSchoolBU said:

he will have 4-5 years to get the job done. End of story. Delude yourselves with whatever nonsense you want to in the interim but he will have that time frame. He needs to be winning championships by the end of that time frame.

Your comparisons to Steele and Beall hold no weight other than they all have an l in their last name (so did Briles). Rhule has a track record of winning championships in the top G5 conference similar to guys like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban before they took power 5 jobs.

Football is entertainment. Enjoy watching this work of beauty that will be carved out of a very ugly piece of marble that looks ugliest when the first chisel strikes it.
Say what? Rhule is best compared to Dave Roberts who was canned after 2 seasons and 4 wins. One of his wins was against Texas and he still got tossed.
More wisdom from Caber High fanboys...
MilliVanilli
Dia del DougO said:

I think the only hope now is for God to call Rhule to coach at Rutgers.
This post aged well.
MilliVanilli
cowboycwr said:

Amarillobear said:

I enjoy reading what people have to say on this site and I generally just try to stay positive about the other posters when I post but I disagree with your post about firing him already. We need to support the program and realize the coaches Coach their hearts out on the field but this is a young team making mistakes that the coaches will soon correct. I see nothing but bright spots when I watch this team and see a lot of young players that will make us proud when they figure it all out. The offensive line is still in a state of flux and it needs to gel some. I think the future is very bright. Hang in there.

Sic 'me Bears!
Wow.

I don't think I have ever seen so much sunshine pumping in my life.

No we don't need to blindly support a program just because. I supported the program but this is my money I spend on tickets. If I do not like the result I WILL NOT sit by and let the program steal my money with the bad product put on the field.

And I would really love to know what game you are watching. Because many of the mistakes being made are not by the young players but are rather issues with the coaching, play call, schemes, etc.

The switching of QBs- coaching

Running the ball on a 3rd and long- coaching.

not going with tempo on offense when down- coaching.

calling the totally wrong defensive alignment- coaching

Bad offensive play calling- coaching

There are many, many others that I could list here but I think you get the point.

The things like dropping passes, missed tackles, etc would be on the players but the above is way more of a bigger issue during the game with a larger impact on the outcome.
Mercy, you have been dumb for years.
MilliVanilli
Redbrickbear said:

I'm more dejected than most.

I mean sure we can fire Rhule.

But the same people that hired him are still here, the same people that hired Steele, the same people that have failed us over and over and over again over the past 25 years.

Yet they actually one time hired a coach that could win (Briles) but they couldn't manage the success or him....and they had their BS in house cops chasing frat kids drinking on 3rd st. instead of focusing on real issues like Rape.

And when the girls did report it.....the Regent regime didnt give them more than 3 free counseling sessions and never passed the info on the the real police or did anything about it.

They then ran one of the worst and most expensive PR campaigns ever.

No reason to think the people in charge of Baylor wont hire another worthless coach for $4-$5 million a year.
How insightful...
MilliVanilli
Dia del DougO said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bunation said:

Unfortunately, with our BOR, a coach with Rhule's resume WAS the best we could hope to hire. That hasn't changed.

By the time Baylor is ready to replace Rhule, Baylor will be a step down from UNT.
This should be your new signature, it'll remind us never to not laugh at anything you post ever again.

xiledinok
GhettoHEBear said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

Art must have slept with your wife. Theres just no other explanation

Ghetto boy, no chance, the girls and women I love don't let guys go down the dirt road. The sweat hogs are so huge the dirt road is the only way.

Art Briles slept with troll posters' wives and girlfriends and that's why we piss on his wheaties? Only a prison rapist would think like a Caber.
xiledinok
MilliVanilli said:

cowboycwr said:

Amarillobear said:

I enjoy reading what people have to say on this site and I generally just try to stay positive about the other posters when I post but I disagree with your post about firing him already. We need to support the program and realize the coaches Coach their hearts out on the field but this is a young team making mistakes that the coaches will soon correct. I see nothing but bright spots when I watch this team and see a lot of young players that will make us proud when they figure it all out. The offensive line is still in a state of flux and it needs to gel some. I think the future is very bright. Hang in there.

Sic 'me Bears!
Wow.

I don't think I have ever seen so much sunshine pumping in my life.

No we don't need to blindly support a program just because. I supported the program but this is my money I spend on tickets. If I do not like the result I WILL NOT sit by and let the program steal my money with the bad product put on the field.

And I would really love to know what game you are watching. Because many of the mistakes being made are not by the young players but are rather issues with the coaching, play call, schemes, etc.

The switching of QBs- coaching

Running the ball on a 3rd and long- coaching.

not going with tempo on offense when down- coaching.

calling the totally wrong defensive alignment- coaching

Bad offensive play calling- coaching

There are many, many others that I could list here but I think you get the point.

The things like dropping passes, missed tackles, etc would be on the players but the above is way more of a bigger issue during the game with a larger impact on the outcome.
Mercy, you have been dumb for years.

He makes the replacement theory seem more factual and accurate by the day.
MilliVanilli
Oldbear83 said:

Eball said:

What a complete and utterly idiotic post as it turns out! Why O Why must we make snap judgments and tell everyone we are the smartest guy in the room...
you mean like ignoring the wins this season, and going back to find posts you can use to harass people for what was at the time reasonable anger and concern?

How dare you not get to ignore your ridiculous posting history and have to humbly eat a little cyber crow.
xiledinok
Self Made Bear said:

Stranger said:

So to the chase . . . This guy will never produce a winner. He ain't got it. He don't fit. It's time to p*ss on the fire and call in the dogs. The hunt is over. At least Arkansas had the balls to fire Jack Crowe after losing to Citadel at the first of the season. Frank Broyles knew. He'd looked him in the eyes and listened to his excuses. I doubt we have anybody on the BOR that could pull that trick.

It will be at least four years before this happens. The Board has not shown one iota of competence in any matter concerning football. Plus, they would have to admit they were wrong, and as we have seen, neither they nor their cronies on this board are ever going to do that.

The Baptist Country Club is getting the last laugh. Break out the ginger ale!
Eball
Oldbear83 said:

Eball said:

Hmm...you found that post reasonable? He posted that diatribe on 9-10-17 what was that like two games into CMR's first freaking season?

I don't mind anyone having an opinion and stating it but when you try and tell us all that your experience gives you a unique ability to foresee the future you better be right or prepared to eat a little crow. I would love to hear if Stranger has a different opinion today about CMR and Mack both? You got to admit our AD has done a fairly remarkable job to date...this is no slight at the former AD or Coach I loved them both still do but good gosh we got some good ones right now who are worthy of our support.

Someone go find a stupid post I made two or three years ago and maybe I will eat some crow....I hope that I am careful enough not to get into the realm of predicting the future. I will stick to criticizing and analyzing the past and present. That is fraught with its own peril.
Wichitabear
That was an idiotic statement to make!
historian
Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

He needs 4 years minimum imo. Tired of the sky is falling stuff. If we arent bowling by year 4 then consider his departure.
Hell no.

Teaff and Briles won conference championships by then, if Ruhle does not win 4 + this year he's a fraud, if he does not go to and win a bowl by next year he's got to go

What conference championship did Briles win at Baylor by his fourth season?
IIRC, Briles had a Heisman winner his 4th season but did not get the conference title until his 6th--and also his 7th. I don't think any Baylor coach has ever had 2 conference titles in consecutive years. Nor has any other coach ever had more than 2 consecutive bowl bids. Briles had 7. Hopefully, Rhule will achieve that over the next 5 years at Baylor, along with a few conference titles and a playoff bid (which Briles never did although, arguably, likely would have had the BOR not thrown him under the bus).
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Oldbear83
You don't have any right to demand anything from someone else.

You think our 0-7 start in 2017 was fine, nothing to complain about? Sure, that's your right, and yes, we're all glad things improved since then.

But you don't own the team, in fact you have no more to do with the team than any other Baylor fan, so no, you don't have any place to make demands of someone else.

And yes, obsessing on harassing other fans for something said in 2017 shows a petty, spiteful character on your part.

Go focus on old posts if that's your thing. Most of us will just enjoy the current success, and not pretend someone has to be perfect to be a fan.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
MilliVanilli
Oldbear83 said:

You think our 0-7 start in 2017 was fine, nothing to complain about? Sure, that's your right, and yes, we're all glad things improved since then.

But you don't own the team, in fact you have no more to do with the team than any other Baylor fan, so no, you don't have any place to make demands of someone else.

And yes, obsessing on harassing other fans for something said in 2017 shows a petty, spiteful character on your part.

Go focus on old posts if that's your thing. Most of us will just enjoy the current success, and not pretend someone has to be perfect to be a fan.
Says someone livid their posts DEMANDING the firing of Matt Rhule are being humorously lampooned.

So you want everyone to ignore how petty and spiteful you've behaved and if they don't you're being bullied...what a coward.
Eball
Oldbear83 said:

Your angry at me why? I did not demand anything from anyone else...

I did not like 0-7 anymore than anyone else.

I did not know anyone owned the the team let alone me.

How am I obsessing on anyone that was the first time to my knowledge I ever called out Stranger for his diatribe back in 2017...what is your obsession in defending him?

Petty, spiteful? Am I having a discussion with the right Oldbear?

I have never bumped an old thread at least not anything as old as this one.

How am I not enjoying our present success that was the point of my post...why do we, not just Stranger but a lot of folks, myself included say stuff we wish in hindsight we had not.

No fan is perfect not me anyways...but why does Stranger not come on and defend himself? Why is he hiding behind his followers?

xiledinok
historian said:

Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

summaryjudged said:

He needs 4 years minimum imo. Tired of the sky is falling stuff. If we arent bowling by year 4 then consider his departure.
Hell no.

Teaff and Briles won conference championships by then, if Ruhle does not win 4 + this year he's a fraud, if he does not go to and win a bowl by next year he's got to go

What conference championship did Briles win at Baylor by his fourth season?
IIRC, Briles had a Heisman winner his 4th season but did not get the conference title until his 6th--and also his 7th. I don't think any Baylor coach has ever had 2 conference titles in consecutive years. Nor has any other coach ever had more than 2 consecutive bowl bids. Briles had 7. Hopefully, Rhule will achieve that over the next 5 years at Baylor, along with a few conference titles and a playoff bid (which Briles never did although, arguably, likely would have had the BOR not thrown him under the bus).
No one threw Art under the bus. He and his advisors stuck there heads under the front tires of the bus and said, "try to run me over."
They did, and ran him over while the rest of college football community thought he made a good speed bump. They couldn't resist testing out the speed bump.
historian
If he was fired based upon accusations that have never been proven, then he was thrown under the bus. The Austin-based media & ESPN were very good at recycling the same gossip over and over again--and then the WSJ & others jumped on the bandwagon. To my knowledge no evidence has ever been presented.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MilliVanilli
historian said:

If he was fired based upon accusations that have never been proven, then he was thrown under the bus. The Austin-based media & ESPN were very good at recycling the same gossip over and over again--and then the WSJ & others jumped on the bandwagon. To my knowledge no evidence has ever been presented.
Ferk, Caber High is dense.

You don't fire a winning coach without cause, just because you hate that he was fired doesn't mean you're owed more than the obvious evidence against him that is out there for intellectually honest people to digest.

Move the **** on already, for **** sake.

You are willfully divorced from reality on the issue.

Baylor has moved on and if you can't then move on from Baylor.

Baylor is 6-0 and making a conference title push, you're still fixated on a high school coach in Mount Vernon that we once fired.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.