Football
Sponsored by

Art Briles in the Houston Chronicle

62,695 Views | 369 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MilliVanilli
REX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University said:

REX said:

Thee University said:

zunooreo said:

jumpinjoe said:

Stan Mikita said:

Whoa ahem excuse me, excuse me. I have been in a coma for the last 5 years and I just woke up. I just have one question:

Was Art Briles fired for cause?

No one fired for cause gets paid $15.1 million to leave.

West Virginia just went over 800 yards against us!

We lost the mall fight!

What was the score 2-30?
2 to 30
WOW
No. The score was WVU 41 and Big 12 Co-Champs with TCU Bears 17. #4 in the nation getting the pigskin enema thanks to The Aggie. The time we gave up 807 yards WVU score 70 on us. WVU averaged 48 points against us those 4 times.

You are thinking about the year Baylor won 10 games for the first time in history back when you played only 11 games. You are thinking of the year Baylor won every single conference game to win the SWC without any help from another conference foe. You are thinking of the year Baylor only gave up 13 TDs over 11 games instead of 10 in one game.

The 2-30 you refer to was when that 1980 team lost 4 fumbles and 3 interceptions in the Cotton Bowl to the defending National Champion Crimson Tide. We did not give up 21 points in the 4th quarter.

Excuses are
So y'all actually won the game?
Got it
Thanks
Aliceinbubbleland
Team Art. 100%. Always.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Reverend said:

I consider Buddy Jones a good friend. We were good friends in undergraduate school and law school. We were Practice Court partners (for those of you who dont know what that means ask any Baylor Law graduate).

I have't talked to him lately......the last time was right after Briles was fired. He told me he thought it was terribly wrong and was trying to do something about it but all he got was "crickets". Take that for whatever it's worth.

He's a power broker and a back rooms manipulator. It's what he does and he is one of the very best ever at it. It's made him rich. One thing I know for sure about him is he absolutely loses no sleep over people hating him.

I think he loves Baylor. Agree or disagree, he fought to win on a lot of issues and he won.

Just my 2 cents about Buddy.

All of a sudden, I am not real sure who you are. It is no secret that the individual you mention leaked the Briles character assassination to University of Texas blogger Chip Brown, which was the match that lit the Baylor Football program on fire and burned it to the ground. Along with the "Christian Mission." All in the name of protecting the Baylor Board and the Baylor brand. His hate for Ken Starr far outweighed his "love" for Briles. If you wonder why Baylor is becoming so liberal just like the rest of the secular institutes of higher learning, the individual you mention was and still is the catalyst.

For the record, I don't think anyone "hates" the individual you speak of. I do know for a fact that he has driven many Baylor Alums away from Baylor. I am certainly one of them. ILLUMINATE!!!!!

Have a good evening, Reverend.

Reverend speaks the truth in his post.
We will just give him a free pass on bulldozing the BAA building and the personal vendetta involving the underage sorority mean girls drinking wine on a Saturday night. Off campus. All a part of public record, by the way. Life is good. Now let's all recite the Lord's prayer and join hands and sing Kumbaya............"

All kidding aside, Brian, I know you have a business to run. But please don't ever sell your soul to the Devil. It is not worth it.
Hey Troller and BOR stalker, when did you sell your soul to the devil? Funny how you try and convince us you have some tie to the University. Your only tie to BU is that we had a former coach that also happened to be your PE teacher at Stephenville HS.
Dude. No. Just no.

You can dislike RD2's opinion, but you might wanna backtrack on his ties to the school.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
For anyone that doesn't understand, I take issue with pundits, social media hacks and the general public dumbassery of calling Baylor "Rape U". I'm sure most of you feel the same way. I think this is an example of how completely warped something can become by distortion of facts and general misinformation. That pertains to Baylor and Briles.

I don't think Briles led some culture of sexual assaults. I think he let some bad stuff slide and was generally stupid, but nothing I would call insidious.

I think Baylor had some bad policies and some policies that existed in a grey area. Conservative politics and bean counting played a role in all of this as well. It always does with Baylor.

My main beef is with the media and a single lawyer, both of whom went way beyond what could be deemed a fair examination of the so-called scandal. Again, that was also driven by politics and money. Hey, seems like a theme is developing...

Once you tack on some of the worst crisis/PR management I've ever seen, something that should have been uniformly handled in a span of 3 months to a year turned into an ordeal that will hopefully be completely over in the near future after 5 years.

I wish no posters on here ill will. It's not productive and each of us will always have our own opinions. I've let it go, but I've also accepted that this will come up for the next 20 years. Hopefully the school can avoid any other scandals for a long time to come.
Gunny Hartman
Eball said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Finally, as for Art, he was our highly paid mercenary head coach (who like any mercenary would have dropped us in a heartbeat for a better opportunity like he almost did 3 times in only 8 years) until he wasn't. He ain't here anymore, so why anyone is still obsessed enough to post about him every effing day beats all I've ever seen.

I like you as a poster, Gunny. But Matt Rhule has openly flirted with the NFL at the conclusion of his first two seasons as Baylor's Head Football Coach. Personally, I think Rhule has been the one calling out. And his agent, Mack Rhoades, has been right there with him. Why do you not hold Rhule to the same standard as Briles? Just curious

I've never pretended otherwise. I view Rhule just like I do most anyone else who doesn't have deep Baylor roots (like Wetzel and Bell), and I have zero issue with that for several reasons:

1) Of course he should put his family's interests above that of his employer. This should go without saying.
2) The foundation he has laid in this program in only 30 months is impressive. I'm not going to get into the ad nauseam of it right now, but our program is already operating on a day-to-day basis at a near-elite level. I personally think that will transfer into many wins -- we shall see. Rhule's rep in the NFL for being the kind of man that can make that happen is why there's continual interest in him from there. I expect that this will only increase in time. But he's not going to leave Baylor for just any NFL coaching opportunity as he flat turned down the Jets down stone cold even though they were his favorite team growing up. This is a great problem to have.
3) Mack Rhoades' job is to win championships. If you think he wants Rhule to leave for the NFL, I don't know what to tell you. But he recently promoted Joey freaking McGuire -- one of the greatest Texas football coaches in history -- to Associate Head Coach for a reason, so I suspect regardless of what happens, we will be in great hands.

I appreciate you and I appreciate the feelings expressed above...but having grown up in Waco and being a graduate of BU law, with a wife who went to Baylor and kids who went to Baylor and rooting for Baylor for over 50 years of my life...that sentiment is scary and in my mind something that has and continues to hold Baylor back...we never trust anyone who is not somehow a legacy BU person...and I know you know what I am talking about. CMR, Livingstone and Rhodes are just like those before them who did not come to BU with roots in BU...not to be fully trusted or embraced and to be exchanged when we tire of them or if they cross us in any way.

You're reading way too much into a statement specifically made about the current state of the college football coaching industry. Like any big time program head coach, Rhule will be the first to tell you that if he doesn't win ball games, his employment at Baylor will not be a lengthy one.
Eball
Gunny Hartman said:

Eball said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Finally, as for Art, he was our highly paid mercenary head coach (who like any mercenary would have dropped us in a heartbeat for a better opportunity like he almost did 3 times in only 8 years) until he wasn't. He ain't here anymore, so why anyone is still obsessed enough to post about him every effing day beats all I've ever seen.

I like you as a poster, Gunny. But Matt Rhule has openly flirted with the NFL at the conclusion of his first two seasons as Baylor's Head Football Coach. Personally, I think Rhule has been the one calling out. And his agent, Mack Rhoades, has been right there with him. Why do you not hold Rhule to the same standard as Briles? Just curious

I've never pretended otherwise. I view Rhule just like I do most anyone else who doesn't have deep Baylor roots (like Wetzel and Bell), and I have zero issue with that for several reasons:

1) Of course he should put his family's interests above that of his employer. This should go without saying.
2) The foundation he has laid in this program in only 30 months is impressive. I'm not going to get into the ad nauseam of it right now, but our program is already operating on a day-to-day basis at a near-elite level. I personally think that will transfer into many wins -- we shall see. Rhule's rep in the NFL for being the kind of man that can make that happen is why there's continual interest in him from there. I expect that this will only increase in time. But he's not going to leave Baylor for just any NFL coaching opportunity as he flat turned down the Jets down stone cold even though they were his favorite team growing up. This is a great problem to have.
3) Mack Rhoades' job is to win championships. If you think he wants Rhule to leave for the NFL, I don't know what to tell you. But he recently promoted Joey freaking McGuire -- one of the greatest Texas football coaches in history -- to Associate Head Coach for a reason, so I suspect regardless of what happens, we will be in great hands.

I appreciate you and I appreciate the feelings expressed above...but having grown up in Waco and being a graduate of BU law, with a wife who went to Baylor and kids who went to Baylor and rooting for Baylor for over 50 years of my life...that sentiment is scary and in my mind something that has and continues to hold Baylor back...we never trust anyone who is not somehow a legacy BU person...and I know you know what I am talking about. CMR, Livingstone and Rhodes are just like those before them who did not come to BU with roots in BU...not to be fully trusted or embraced and to be exchanged when we tire of them or if they cross us in any way.

You're reading way too much into a statement specifically made about the current state of the college football coaching industry. Like any big time program head coach, Rhule will be the first to tell you that if he doesn't win ball games, his employment at Baylor will not be a lengthy one.
Perhaps I did my apologies!
Gunny Hartman
REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Here's a few things that are repeatedly simultaneously fascinating and abjectly boring about this board.

I know who Reverend, Milli, and Xiledinok are in real life. I may not always agree with them on everything, but they are authentically good Bears.

Buddy Jones' attack on the BAA (of which a lifetime membership in was my graduation present) and the little personal fiefdom he ran at Baylor for many years are a disgrace. However, he also loves Baylor, and when we needed someone that wielded a big stick in Austin to go to bat for us like during the realignment fiascos, he was always there to answer the call. And Reverend is right -- he wanted to keep Art.

Did you just post about Art?
Thanks

Apparently you missed the part about posting about Art "every effing day." So thanks for popping your head in because you are the poster child of the described obsession with Art.
Gunny Hartman
jumpinjoe said:

Stan Mikita said:

Whoa ahem excuse me, excuse me. I have been in a coma for the last 5 years and I just woke up. I just have one question:

No one fired without extenuating circumstances settles for half of the remaining contract amount due to them.
Malbec
BU82EX said:

Hey Troller and BOR stalker, when did you sell your soul to the devil? Funny how you try and convince us you have some tie to the University. Your only tie to BU is that we had a former coach that also happened to be your PE teacher at Stephenville HS.
Malbec
Gunny Hartman said:

jumpinjoe said:

Stan Mikita said:

No one fired without extenuating circumstances settles for half of the remaining contract amount due to them.
Really?
Gunny Hartman
You're seriously comparing a structured settlement to a binding employment contract?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Reverend said:

I consider Buddy Jones a good friend. We were good friends in undergraduate school and law school. We were Practice Court partners (for those of you who dont know what that means ask any Baylor Law graduate).

I have't talked to him lately......the last time was right after Briles was fired. He told me he thought it was terribly wrong and was trying to do something about it but all he got was "crickets". Take that for whatever it's worth.

He's a power broker and a back rooms manipulator. It's what he does and he is one of the very best ever at it. It's made him rich. One thing I know for sure about him is he absolutely loses no sleep over people hating him.

I think he loves Baylor. Agree or disagree, he fought to win on a lot of issues and he won.

All of a sudden, I am not real sure who you are. It is no secret that the individual you mention leaked the Briles character assassination to University of Texas blogger Chip Brown, which was the match that lit the Baylor Football program on fire and burned it to the ground. Along with the "Christian Mission." All in the name of protecting the Baylor Board and the Baylor brand. His hate for Ken Starr far outweighed his "love" for Briles. If you wonder why Baylor is becoming so liberal just like the rest of the secular institutes of higher learning, the individual you mention was and still is the catalyst.

For the record, I don't think anyone "hates" the individual you speak of. I do know for a fact that he has driven many Baylor Alums away from Baylor. I am certainly one of them. ILLUMINATE!!!!!

We will just give him a free pass on bulldozing the BAA building and the personal vendetta involving the underage sorority mean girls drinking wine on a Saturday night. Off campus. All a part of public record, by the way. Life is good. Now let's all recite the Lord's prayer and join hands and sing Kumbaya............"

All kidding aside, Brian, I know you have a business to run. But please don't ever sell your soul to the Devil. It is not worth it.

Lighten up, Buttercup!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Thee University
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Reverend said:

Lighten up, Buttercup!

It's build me up.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Malbec
Gunny Hartman said:

You're seriously comparing a structured settlement to a binding employment contract?
I'm telling you that the present value of his remaining contract was $18.661MM, which does not make his settlement half of the value of the contract as you stated. The payment that he received, augmented by the direct payment to his attorneys was right on the present value of the contract.
Gunny Hartman
Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

I'm telling you that the present value of his remaining contract was $18.661MM, which does not make his settlement half of the value of the contract as you stated. The payment that he received, augmented by the direct payment to his attorneys was right on the present value of the contract.

And how do you know that? The details of his contract were private.

Even if it were true, what fool would walk away from 4 million bucks in PV? Or for that matter, not insist that the contract be paid out as agreed like most every other terminated coach does?

You know, it's really well past time you pulled your head out of your posterior area.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Reverend said:

Some get spiritual cause they see the light, others because they feel the heat.
Dia del DougO

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Gunny Hartman
Instead of a silly argument over a former coach, if you want your day brightened, watch this 4 minute interview with a top 2021 recruit. If you're not a premium member, pay the buck because it's worth much more than that.

https://sicem365.com/s/4882/elite-2021-defensive-end-dmarion-alexander-recaps-his-baylor-visit/1
Malbec
Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Even if it were true, what fool would walk away from 4 million bucks in PV? Or for that matter, not insist that the contract be paid out as agreed like most every other terminated coach does?

You know, it's really well past time you pulled your head out of your posterior area.
I don't really get your nasty closing statement, but anyway...

Also, I don't know where you get a $4MM walk-away. 16.1 + 2.6 = 18.7, no? You might notice that almost every college coach receiving a termination buy-out over the original course of the contract is being paid by a public institution. Most of these college coaches' buy-outs are written with a present value option in favor of the institution along with other mitigation remedies. The option rested with the university, not with Briles.

And it makes perfect sense that a university who was terminating a contract with a coach over something with a massive PR quagmire would want to exercise that option and avoid year after year of revisiting the issue whenever they filed a new 990. Doing so is not an indication of fault by either party. But fulfilling the contract ensures that there will be no legal entanglements with regard to the contract itself, especially with the NDA also attached.

One could argue that had the university not exercised the PV option, that much of the bad press would have likely been avoided, as it would have provided incentive for all involved to rehabilitate Briles' employability as quickly as possible to mitigate the financial aspect, which would have allowed the university to better service lawsuit liability.

The point I am making is that it is wrong to suggest that Briles was paid so much because Baylor couldn't fire him otherwise, and it is also wrong to suggest that Briles was guilty of something insidious because he took less money than the protracted value of his contract.
Gunny Hartman
Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Also, I don't know where you get a $4MM walk-away. 16.1 + 2.6 = 18.7, no? You might notice that almost every college coach receiving a termination buy-out over the original course of the contract is being paid by a public institution. Most of these college coaches' buy-outs are written with a present value option in favor of the institution along with other mitigation remedies. The option rested with the university, not with Briles.

And it makes perfect sense that a university who was terminating a contract with a coach over something with a massive PR quagmire would want to exercise that option and avoid year after year of revisiting the issue whenever they filed a new 990. Doing so is not an indication of fault by either party. But fulfilling the contract ensures that there will be no legal entanglements with regard to the contract itself, especially with the NDA also attached.

One could argue that had the university not exercised the PV option, that much of the bad press would have likely been avoided, as it would have provided incentive for all involved to rehabilitate Briles' employability as quickly as possible to mitigate the financial aspect, which would have allowed the university to better service lawsuit liability.

The point I am making is that it is wrong to suggest that Briles was paid so much because Baylor couldn't fire him otherwise, and it is also wrong to suggest that Briles was guilty of something insidious because he took less money than the protracted value of his contract.

No matter how you slice it, Art agreed to take less money than he was contractually due. No amount of spin can change that fact.

And now you're just boring the hell out of everybody.
Eball
Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

No matter how you slice it, Art agreed to take less money than he was contractually due. No amount of spin can change that fact.

And no amount of spin changes that they paid him almost 19million $ to walk away. They chose to pay rather terminate for cause. Your argument is nonsensical
PaBear
Give it a rest already!! To suggest that Briles is the lone reason the sex scandal got out of control is idiotic and ignorant. Nobody pays guilty people $15 million to quietly leave. The school failed and pinned the blame on their sacrificial lamb - sound familiar? Let the man have a life and go focus on something else!!
Gunny Hartman
Eball said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

And no amount of spin changes that they paid him almost 19million $ to walk away. They chose to pay rather terminate for cause. Your argument is nonsensical

Only an attorney could argue with a straight face that pointing out that someone agreeing to less money than they're due likely agreed to it for good reason is "nonsensical."

Boring.
Gunny Hartman
PaBear said:

Give it a rest already!! To suggest that Briles is the lone reason the sex scandal got out of control is idiotic and ignorant. Nobody pays guilty people $15 million to quietly leave. The school failed and pinned the blame on their sacrificial lamb - sound familiar? Let the man have a life and go focus on something else!!

Good thing nobody is saying this then
Malbec
Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

I am sorry that you are wrong, but no amount of browbeating is going to change that fact. Thanks for the heads-up on the boring thing though. Now I can tell my wife that she's not the only one.
Gunny Hartman
One of these days just for the hell of it, I'm going to post all the heinous things Art had going on in his program right here on the free board for all the world to see, just so I can watch all his zombies defend indefensible behavior.

Should be fun.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Gunny Hartman said:

One of these days just for the hell of it, I'm going to post all the heinous things Art had going on in his program right here on the free board for all the world to see, just so I can watch all his zombies defend indefensible behavior.

Should be fun.
Why not now? I would love to see your list. Why are you pay guys hogging all the good stuff? Do you also have the Russian collusion goods on Trump as well?

Unfortunately, Briles undoing was beating the University of Texas and Oklahoma on a regular basis. Fortunately, our "leadership" put us back in our place where we belong and we are no longer a threat.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Gunny Hartman
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Should be fun.
Why not now? I would love to see your list. Why are you pay guys hogging all the good stuff? Do you also have the Russian collusion goods on Trump as well?

Unfortunately, Briles undoing was beating the University of Texas and Oklahoma on a regular basis. Fortunately, our "leadership" put us back in our place where we belong and we are no longer a threat.

Oh I don't post these things on premium either. Too hot for there also. But who knows, maybe one day it will tickle my fancy. I'll make sure to also include stuff that Rex's son was involved in.
Keyser Soze
There is some seriously poor calculators of the present value of money around here.

Briles had about 8 years and 40 mil left on his contract

sources in reporting Briles and Baylor had reached a settlement on his contract, which ran through 2023.
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/baylorbears/2016/06/17/report-baylor-reaches-contract-settlement-fired-coach-art-briles

The prime rate of interest in 2016 was under 4%
https://www.hsh.com/indices/prime-rate.html

Now for simplicity, assume even payments of $5 Mill a year for 8 year (16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23)

Now plug this into a financial calculator here
https://financialmentor.com/calculator/present-value-of-annuity-calculator

At 4% PV = $33,663,724.37
At 5% PV = $32,316,063.80
At 6% PV = $31,048,969.05
At 22% PV = $18,096,337.80

The correct answer is we don't know, but it sure looks like he got 50 cents on the dollar.

BU82EX
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Reverend said:

Lighten up, Buttercup!
The truth hurts...troller! Display that Stephenville High diploma proudly, it looks like that's all you got!
CocoRox
E-bro,

You are wasting your breath. I admire the burning will to see logic prevail and right deemed absolute. But, you will find no solace and will get no satisfaction from your efforts with Thee, Gunny, Xiled, Milly, and 8084.

Same old circle jerk(s). Collectively they have more egg on their face than a rooster in 69.

It's the very definition of a circle jerk.
Gunny Hartman
CocoRox said:

E-bro,

You are wasting your breath. I admire the burning will to see logic prevail and right deemed absolute. But, you will find no solace and will get no satisfaction from your efforts with Thee, Gunny, Xiled, Milly, and 8084.

Same old circle jerk(s). Collectively they have more egg on their face than a rooster in 69.

Coco Sux, you've used that same rooster/egg weak s**t on here repeatedly. It wasn't funny the first 5,000 times so maybe you ought to get some new material.
Bear8084
CocoRox said:

E-bro,

Couldn't be further from the truth, but Ok.

Sidenote: Good to see you posting on here again, Gunny.
MilliVanilli
CocoRox said:

E-bro,

Ha, it's funny how you, the unhinged Caber minority that is four years into an actual tired circle jerk think that the ease you are repeatedly dismissed with is a circle jerk.

Eball
I can't believe we are arguing this again. They could terminate for cause or buy him out for the contract buy out. They bought him out. They did not have sufficient cause. The number was agreed on before contract signed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.