Louisville actually thinks they have a chance at Drew

33,328 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ScottS
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

1. I now doubt this is a Louisville fan. Smells like a Horn troll.

2. From those numbers, looks like Louisville is laundering meth money. They sure ain't generating it playing basketball.

Meth is the new moonshine
historian
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

1. I don't think this is a real Louisville fan. Just a troll.
2. I will sure care about the 2021 National Championship 40 years from now, God willing I am still alive.
3. I remember all three Louisville national championships. It's kind of weird that sports fans of a certain age don't remember Never Nervous Pervis Ellison or Darrell Griffith.
4. I don't care that they vacated the 2013 championship. They were the best team that year. Just like USC was the best football team during their vacated year.
5. Drew ain't going anywhere.
6. Louisville may very well be going the way of DePaul.

All good points (although I'll have to take your word on some of it).

1. Almost certainly but unlikely to return much because it won't be fun anymore. Everyone will be mocking him for his silliness & pettiness.

2. Most Baylor fans still alive will care about the 2021 natty team in 40 years but will not expect anyone else to care.

5. Drew has no reason to leave & lots of reasons to stay in Waco. Such troll talk is ludicrous.

What is especially pertinent now when comparing programs such as Baylor & Louisville is not just which has the most recent success but also which can ordinary hoops fans (not pathetic trolls on opposing fan boards) can expect to have similar success in the near future. The answer to both is clearly Baylor. We may not make it to the Final Four this year but Louisville won't even be in the dance. And we have a reasonable shot at it. At the very least, we should be able to make the second weekend.

Will Louisville even qualify for NIT?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
historian said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

1. I don't think this is a real Louisville fan. Just a troll.
2. I will sure care about the 2021 National Championship 40 years from now, God willing I am still alive.
3. I remember all three Louisville national championships. It's kind of weird that sports fans of a certain age don't remember Never Nervous Pervis Ellison or Darrell Griffith.
4. I don't care that they vacated the 2013 championship. They were the best team that year. Just like USC was the best football team during their vacated year.
5. Drew ain't going anywhere.
6. Louisville may very well be going the way of DePaul.

All good points (although I'll have to take your word on some of it).

1. Almost certainly but unlikely to return much because it won't be fun anymore. Everyone will be mocking him for his silliness & pettiness.

2. Most Baylor fans still alive will care about the 2021 natty team in 40 years but will not expect anyone else to care.

5. Drew has no reason to leave & lots of reasons to stay in Waco. Such troll talk is ludicrous.

What is especially pertinent now when comparing programs such as Baylor & Louisville is not just which has the most recent success but also which can ordinary hoops fans (not pathetic trolls on opposing fan boards) can expect to have similar success in the near future. The answer to both is clearly Baylor. We may not make it to the Final Four this year but Louisville won't even be in the dance. And we have a reasonable shot at it. At the very least, we should be able to make the second weekend.

Will Louisville even qualify for NIT?
Louisville is 8-22 this year. They won't come close to sniffing any postseason tournament.
historian
More fuel for the fire:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/03/06/report-scott-drew-the-clear-no-1-choice-for-louisville-job/

Maybe our troll is someone connected to Heartland! Yes, I'm joking.
BU82EX
You know a program is in the gutter when your fan base is bragging about their revenue standing rather than their W-L standing. I'm confident that UT/OU will be using this as their calling card once they realize they will not sniff any championships in the SEC.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
BU82EX said:

You know a program is in the gutter when your fan base is bragging about their revenue standing rather than their W-L standing. I'm confident that UT/OU will be using this as their calling card once they realize they will not sniff any championships in the SEC.

I think OU will follow the Aggie model sure, but UT will be a contender sadly. They will do well in the era of paid/professional college ball. OU will slowly fade away after a few years, remaining competitive but not a true contender. But even with their decline, OU will be more relevant than Louisville in college basketball.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
historian said:

More fuel for the fire:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/03/06/report-scott-drew-the-clear-no-1-choice-for-louisville-job/

Maybe our troll is someone connected to Heartland! Yes, I'm joking.

Well heartland does a lot of click bait stuff, so maybe.
cowboycwr
IF you haven't read his book do so.

I don't think he would leave for any amount of money for just any school. It would have to be one where he could continue his faith, reach out to the players/fans/staff about faith, etc. So any liberal (not getting political) school that would not allow him to have a team chaplain, prayer, bible study, etc would be out automatically.

Mitch Henessey
It's going to be fun to watch L'ville fans progress to the "we never offered! The guy we'll end up with is better than him anyway!" stage of grief soon.
LIB,MR BEARS
Video of round 1 interview. I think he nailed it.

contrario
The biggest thing to happen to UL basketball in about 40 years is throwing out the name of the coach of the 7th program in our own state. I'm not sure if that says more about us or more about them.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

It's going to be fun to watch L'ville fans progress to the "we never offered! The guy we'll end up with is better than him anyway!" stage of grief soon.
It's pretty funny how convinced they are that he'll be their coach next year.
PartyBear
I don't know why they think at his age now and where Baylor is now on the basketball map, he would want to take a rebuild job now in his career.
EvilTroyAndAbed
PartyBear said:

I don't know why they think at his age now and where Baylor is now on the basketball map, he would want to take a rebuild job now in his career.

53 is still young for a rebuild. But I don't think every coach cares so much about doing that. Plus Drew is Baylor Basketball. Louisville will always associate with Denny Crum. Doesn't mean a great coach can't go there. Pitino did. But I would think Drew might like being THE MAN for all time at Baylor.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
PartyBear said:

Agreed, It makes no sense. Why would he want to rebuild there at this stage of his life? Rebuilding there is working harder for less return. He's got a national championship, much easier to get another here, than there.

And he's smart enough to know that you don't get the "rebuilding" hours spent away from your family back, ever. They're gone.

I feel for their fans since we know what it's like to be down, but c'mon, try to at least be rational.
PartyBear
Well I'm projecting. If I was him also in my 50s I wouldn't be interested in starting all over and doing it again after having done it already at 30 when I'm the king at my current job which is also a major job.
Yogi
Drew isn't leaving for the ACC.
BBWCBear
Yogi said:

Praying not, but there was a time your statement was made about KM. That didn't work out well. BU Admin & AD have a knack for screwing up.
Chamberman
Thehardtruth said:

This thread shows your lack of basketball knowledge.
Your post shows your lack CSD knowledge, which is what would be needed to pry him away.

blackie
BBWCBear said:

Yogi said:

Praying not, but there was a time your statement was made about KM. That didn't work out well. BU Admin & AD have a knack for screwing up.
Scott doesn't have the ego that KM has. It makes a big difference. And had the job opening been anywhere other than LSU, KM will likely still be here. Don't know if there is anywhere a similar lure for Scott.
BBWCBear
blackie said:

BBWCBear said:

Yogi said:

Scott doesn't have the ego that KM has. It makes a big difference. And had the job opening been anywhere other than LSU, KM will likely still be here. Don't know if there is anywhere a similar lure for Scott.
I can't argue about ego and KM, but all successful coaches have one. That being said, I DO believe Scott has other things that matter more. However, never say never. The most telling thing that always surfaces, with the exception of Teaff, these coaches are employees period. No one really knows what it might take to move on. One can be a complete success in an industry of small companies (BU), but a top Public Corporation comes calling, really calling, and it may be more than one can refuse. No, Louisville ain't that. I will reiterate BU's Admin and AD... they literally could screw up a sure thing every time. Not just this circle of baffoons, but you can go back decades. Honestly, if they ever screw up MBB I'm out for good. Baylor has lost nearly all credibility with me regarding Athletics. They can't walk and chew gum for the most part.
PartyBear
I was about to say this is really ridiculous given a report headline I just saw about Louisville, Pitt, NC St and Va Tech supposedly about to be joining the XII. Then I clicked the story and the source was that Swaim guy.

Anyway despite the chest pumping of Louisville people I see this as a lateral move anyhow in the modern world of college hoops.
Fre3dombear
I doubt Drew ever leaves baylor for anything other than retirement but if he does leave, I can guarantee it would be under Mack Rhodes as it is the very last singular peg to fall before the destruction of elite baylor athletics top to bottom for over a decade is complete

Lack and Linda have built quite the resume.

Then they can focus on toppling remaining statues and other woke checklist items
Russell Gym
blackie said:

BBWCBear said:

Yogi said:

When KM's successes grew through the years, her ego and arrogance also grew exponentially. With Drew, he has always been humble - through the tough years and riding high. Unchanged.
bear2be2
Russell Gym said:

blackie said:

BBWCBear said:

Yogi said:

When KM's successes grew through the years, her ego and arrogance also grew exponentially. With Drew, he has always been humble - through the tough years and riding high. Unchanged.

I would imagine Kim always had a Texas-sized ego. She just had more power and a larger platform to go with it after achieving a high level of national success.
PartyBear
Not to derail but she is becoming a PR disaster or perhaps bigger one since she left.
historian
blackie said:

BBWCBear said:

Yogi said:

If there were something similar for Drew it probably would be Indiana or Butler.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Not to derail but she is becoming a PR disaster or perhaps bigger one since she left.
She's been one for a long time. She's one of the best women's basketball coaches of all time, but she's a pretty miserable human being.
PartyBear
I think she was just going to retire but for LSU opening up. I think she and Baylor mutually felt they had run their course with each other.
LIB,MR BEARS
Rhodes ego vs Mulkey ego was a push. With Livingstone backing Rhodes, that sealed the deal.
TXBEAR_bf
I am not a fan of Pat Forde, but here is his take on the situation. Probably hard for Louisville fans to understand him passing on their opening.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/it-s-time-for-louisville-to-get-its-men-s-basketball-coaching-hire-right/ar-BB1jMPTa
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
Alanin502
Louisville fan here. I don't know if Scott Drew would leave you guys. It sounds like you have our version of Denny Crum. Where he came, fell in love and stayed. Please ignore the supposed UofL guy saying negative stuff on the Baylor basketball program. It could be one of us, could be a Texas fan or a Kentucky fans (our rivals are known for doing this).

At this point, I'll take anyone. It would be an upgrade over KP. But one thing I have found interesting is that with all the smoke the past week about Louisville making Scott Drew their number one choice, Coach Drew has not come out and shot it down or express a no-interest statement.

Go Cards, Go Bears!
IowaBear
Drew has never publicly shot down any job. He does it all behind the scenes.
He turned down the Indiana job behind the scenes.
And if we're being honest this so called smoke is coming from a Louisville message board. Not exactly credible
Stefano DiMera
And Memphis and LSU.
blackie
Stefano DiMera said:

And Memphis and LSU.
LSU.......I could see the smoke coming from the top of Kim's head if Scott went to LSU, won a national championship and it directed attention away from the women's program. That would be a popcorn moment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.