Louisville actually thinks they have a chance at Drew

33,318 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ScottS
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vegas has no idea what Drew is going to do and they don't care. The odds are designed to get more people betting.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
I hope Drew's contract includes a 7 figure buy out. If not, add it stat!
IvanBear
historian said:

Vegas has no idea what Drew is going to do and they don't care. The odds are designed to get more people betting.
Just pointing out the only Odd's we're seeing so far are from a Kentucky betting website, not Vegas. That distinction is extremely important lol.
Guitarbiscuit

Oh yes, I stand corrected. I was tired. I missed the word "none."

So yes apparently I am the only one with concerns about him leaving.
PartyBear
It's not your fault I was just using the force.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Guitarbiscuit said:

Oh yes, I stand corrected. I was tired. I missed the word "none."

So yes apparently I am the only one with concerns about him leaving.

CSD is going to get offers. There may be some future offers we lose sleep over. Louisville just isn't one of those imo. Could be wrong of course.
Calrocks94
This isn't a Kim mulkey situation Scott Drew doesn't have an ego. He's also building his Dreamhouse right now in town. Just got a new arena has yet to get his facility open. Bring in the best class ever to baylor also, there's not a lot of places in America where he can use joy to teach kids no, y'all should be looking into it. We're gonna lose some assistance sooner than later. I think Jakees will probably be gone this summer.
PartyBear
Why would he be gone in the summer. Wouldn't the immediate off season be when he would leave if he does this off season?
IvanBear
Calrocks94 said:

This isn't a Kim mulkey situation Scott Drew doesn't have an ego. He's also building his Dreamhouse right now in town. Just got a new arena has yet to get his facility open. Bring in the best class ever to baylor also, there's not a lot of places in America where he can use joy to teach kids no, y'all should be looking into it. We're gonna lose some assistance sooner than later. I think Jakees will probably be gone this summer.
Agreed, and honestly losing assistants is the situation you want to constantly be in. even if it is not always ideal. it means we're successful and gives Drew the opportunity to adjust where he places his focus on talent acquisition and team building building over time.
RightRevBear
Alanin502 said:

Speaking of faith. Louisville has one of if not the leading Baptist Seminaries in the country (link provided). It's also a huge Catholic community. I think that's great about Scott Drew being a faithful man. He may stay in Waco but Louisville has a lot of plusses. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (sbts.edu)

Saying Southern Seminary is one of the best is like saying Aggies aren't brainwashed. It is an opinion that is not based on fact.
Guitarbiscuit
RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Speaking of faith. Louisville has one of if not the leading Baptist Seminaries in the country (link provided). It's also a huge Catholic community. I think that's great about Scott Drew being a faithful man. He may stay in Waco but Louisville has a lot of plusses. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (sbts.edu)

Saying Southern Seminary is one of the best is like saying Aggies aren't brainwashed. It is an opinion that is not based on fact.
I didn't find anything really opinionated about his post. Southern Seminary is widely known as one of the top seminaries in the United States.

Now with that being said, I would think that "reputation of seminary" would be further down on CSD's list than say, more $$.
historian
Except Drew isn't particularly greedy. $$ isn't his primary motivation. I don't know if the presence of a top notch seminary on campus would matter much either, unless he or his family planned to take classes there. Baylor also has a seminary on campus although not with the same reputation.
RightRevBear
Guitarbiscuit said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

I didn't find anything really opinionated about his post. Southern Seminary is widely known as one of the top seminaries in the United States.

Now with that being said, I would think that "reputation of seminary" would be further down on CSD's list than say, more $$.

I agree with you that CSD could care less. The only people that think Southern Seminary is even an average seminary, much less a good one are alumni and SBC parishioners who listen to the propaganda. Most of their professors would struggle to get jobs at any other seminary.
Alf
ScottS said:

You do realize something…..if Drew ever goes to another university while on Mack's watch,Mac will have lost 2 hall of fame basketball coaches. I doubt he lets that happen.

I think you're underestimating Mack
Tylerbear
Alf said:

ScottS said:

You do realize something…..if Drew ever goes to another university while on Mack's watch,Mac will have lost 2 hall of fame basketball coaches. I doubt he lets that happen.

I think you're underestimating Mack

Don't be surprised if Mack isn't offered the Nebraska AD job now that it has opened up. A certain football coach at Nebraska really liked Mack.

Mack to Nebraska and Drew to Louisville has only about a 2% chance of happening, but would be just a horrific one two gut punch.
EvilTroyAndAbed
RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Have we devolved to Seminary trash talk in a basketball thread? Goodness, you people are insufferable.
contrario
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Have we devolved to Seminary trash talk in a basketball thread? Goodness, you people are insufferable.
I agree it's odd, but it's something the UL troll brought up. People are just responding to him.

Drew isn't going to stay or leave because of a seminary. Money always will be the top priority. If Baylor was only paying him $1 million per year to coach, he wouldn't care about having the ability to pray before and after basketball games with his team. And at the same time, if Drew was perennially missing the tournament, Baylor fans wouldn't keep him around because he has faith. It's a mutually beneficial relationship currently, but at the end of the day it is just business for both sides. $8, $10, $12 million per year can fund a lot of mission trips if faith is really that important to you. I have no idea what numbers are being discussed, but I would think the offer would have to be at the top of the market to get Drew to even consider leaving Baylor (current highest paid coach is John Calipari at $8.5 million per year).

The biggest issue I see for him is longevity. UL might pay him pretty well for a few years, but their expectations are sky high. The Baylor build was not an overnight success and it may take 2-3 years to get UL back on track, even with someone like Drew as the head coach. Does UL have that much patience? Is 2-3 years of $8 million per year better than a guaranteed 10+ years of $5-6 million per year and being the face of Baylor for life? I suppose if he negotiates a guarantee of 5 years at $8-10 million per year with UL, that would be hard for him to turn down. The biggest issue he would have to worry about then is getting Brenda Tracy'd if he isn't winning after 2-3 years, which I could easily see UL trying to find cause if they aren't happy with the results on the basketball court.
LIB,MR BEARS
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Athlete housing didn't get a lot of traction so obviously seminaries were next in line.
IvanBear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Athlete housing didn't get a lot of traction so obviously seminaries were next in line.

I think I'm even more confused how a seminary in the same town unrelated to the University of Louisville has any impact on how the coach or the secular public university would feel about using Christian faith as a cornerstone of a basketball program not at the seminary.

whitetrash
IvanBear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

I think I'm even more confused how a seminary in the same town unrelated to the University of Louisville has any impact on how the coach or the secular public university would feel about using Christian faith as a cornerstone of a basketball program not at the seminary.

Austin Theological Seminary is less than 2 blocks north of UT campus. I've even parked in their lot for a BU-UT game at DKR. How has that worked out for them?

BUBBFAN
Calrocks94 said:

There is not a single coach at this level that does not have an ego.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
BUBBFAN said:

Calrocks94 said:

There is not a single coach at this level that does not have an ego.

Yep, generally speaking every successful person has an ego, the real test is whether they keep it in check or not. In CSDs case, his belief system and humility keep his ego from running amok.
Russell Gym
IvanBear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Baptist logic
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Russell Gym said:

IvanBear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Baptist logic

Nah, pretty sure it was just a downtrodden Louisville fan really stretching hard to try to show how religious the community is. While showing at the same time he really didn't understand what everyone was saying about faith being at the forefront for CSD.
LIB,MR BEARS
How is the bass fishing around Louisville? That will have more of an impact that a seminary not related to the school
Alanin502
historian said:

It is reported on our sports talk shows in Louisville that Coach Drew has a ZERO dollar buyout option on his contract. If true that is phenomenal and makes it understandable why Louisville would go hard after him.
Alanin502
contrario said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

I agree it's odd, but it's something the UL troll brought up. People are just responding to him.

I'm not a troll. I identified myself up front who I was. Nothing inflammatory. Unlike someone else that posted here I'm being respectful and not speaking negatively about Baylor. I'm on your board. Not Louisville's. Peace
historian
Alanin502 said:

historian said:

It is reported on our sports talk shows in Louisville that Coach Drew has a ZERO dollar buyout option on his contract. If true that is phenomenal and makes it understandable why Louisville would go hard after him.

Don't believe everything the media reports, even the sports media. They might be repeating a rumor or hot bad info somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they made zero effort to verify.
LIB,MR BEARS
IMHO the only way there is not a buyout is if Drew made it clear he would honor his contract.

If there are 2 years remaining, we have him for a minimum of 2 years, 5 years equals 5 years.

If Drew is anything, it is a man of integrity.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Alanin502 said:

contrario said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

I'm not a troll. I identified myself up front who I was. Nothing inflammatory. Unlike someone else that posted here I'm being respectful and not speaking negatively about Baylor. I'm on your board. Not Louisville's. Peace

You're good, he probably just confused you with the actual troll. I think we all appreciate the downtrodden and dejected fans like you, we appreciate your input, because we too have been there. Best of luck to you, just as long as it's not at our expense.
LIB,MR BEARS
Alanin502 said:

contrario said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Thanks for being so polite. Now, just one word, GET OUT.
Russell Gym
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Russell Gym said:

IvanBear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RightRevBear said:

Alanin502 said:

Baptist logic

Nah, pretty sure it was just a downtrodden Louisville fan really stretching hard to try to show how religious the community is. While showing at the same time he really didn't understand what everyone was saying about faith being at the forefront for CSD.

Both can be true.
JdH502
UofL fan here. I just wanted to chime in with my opinion on Drew.

Personally, I don't see Drew leaving Baylor for any school. Would I love if he actually ended up at UofL, of course. But it's tough to see someone that has been at a school for 20+ years, built a program from the ground up & has had a ton of success just pack up and leave.

Saying that....UofL will make an offer that not many coaches would turn down. I just heard that they're willing to make him the 3rd highest paid coach in college basketball behind Bill Self & Calipari. Will this be enough to sway Drew? I don't think so, but we'll see.

TinFoilHatPreacherBear
JdH502 said:

Personally, I don't see Drew leaving Baylor for any school. Would I love if he actually ended up at UofL, of course. But it's tough to see someone that has been at a school for 20+ years, built a program from the ground up & has had a ton of success just pack up and leave.

Saying that....UofL will make an offer that not many coaches would turn down. I just heard that they're willing to make him the 3rd highest paid coach in college basketball behind Bill Self & Calipari. Will this be enough to sway Drew? I don't think so, but we'll see.

Thought CSD already was right in the ballpark of 3rd. I think Self is now the highest paid coach also, I read that he effectively got an amazing bump and an annually renewing contract.

Will be interesting to hear what Louisville plans to offer CSD. Desperate times, desperate measures. So they could be throwing all kinds of crazy money at CSD. I think we keep Drew, but at least the Louisville fans are keeping it interesting.
blackie
JdH502 said:

Sounds like a play for Jim Fisher.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.