Louisville actually thinks they have a chance at Drew

33,324 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ScottS
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
blackie
TXBEAR_bf said:

I am not a fan of Pat Forde, but here is his take on the situation. Probably hard for Louisville fans to understand him passing on their opening.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/it-s-time-for-louisville-to-get-its-men-s-basketball-coaching-hire-right/ar-BB1jMPTa
I quickly scanned it, but I don't think it ever mentions what may mean the most to Scott....being able to promote a Christian message without restrictions. That is the part they don't get. If that is not him, he has been pulling the wool over our eyes for.....forever. Pretty sure that isn't the case.
PartyBear
I couldn't read it because it was blocked but I assumed based on TexBear's last sentence the conclusion of the article is that Drew would stay at Baylor if they run at him.

I saw a report yesterday Louisville would make Drew one of the high res paid HCs in the country to get him. . I don't know that is accurate. In fact the story didn't bother me at all because I doubt the accuracy. The outgoing HC states today the program has limited resources which contradicts that story.
blackie
gobears20 said:

Louisville is to Kentucky as Tech is to Texas.
Mitch Henessey
gobears20 said:

This is a fake quote from a UK fan account attributed to Payne. Payne hasn't commented publicly since being fired.
PartyBear
Well...nevertheless. It appears Drew has now made a statement that I believe is in response to the chatter without actually acknowledging and directly responding to the chatter.
Johnny Bear
PartyBear said:

Well...nevertheless. It appears Drew has now made a statement that I believe is in response to the chatter without actually acknowledging and directly responding to the chatter.

And the statement is………??
PartyBear
It was posted about 4 hours ago at the top of the page but has no responses. Something about he hopes to bring a bunch of championships to Baylor.
Alanin502
Louisville has unlimited resources and deep pockets. That was a UK fan posting that crap. Here is the new basketball dorms just opened across from the basketball practice facility. (188) University of Louisville Denny Crum Hall - YouTube
Alanin502
Planet Fitness Kueber Center - Facilities - University of Louisville Athletic (gocards.com) - The practice facility
TXBEAR_bf
Forde would never mention the Christian aspect as he thought the Faith thing was hokey when ever Drew talked about it. I remember him discussing during a podcast post the title game, he was disrespectful about Drew selling religion.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
Alanin502
KFC Yum center KFC Yum! Center - Facilities - University of Louisville Athletic (gocards.com)
TXBEAR_bf
Do they have special rooms for the hookers?
Alanin502
Different staff and it was in the old basketball dorms. Not the new facility. Let's just say that assistant coach that propped open the doors to let them in better never EVER set foot in Louisville again.
Mitch Henessey
Usually, when people visit our forums, they bring interesting perspectives or insight. Or straight trolling. Our Louisville friends on this board haven't done much of either, just yet. I look forward to their improved contributions in the future.

In all sincerity, congrats on your nice facilities. That's table stakes to having a top-tier basketball program. If you think Scott Drew is going to leave Baylor because the players have nice dorms at UL, I honestly don't know what to tell you.
whitetrash
U of L is Coog Hi with bigger facilities. Maybe they've come up in the world since they won their title in '86, but it's fan base was trashier than Hoss Brock's description of UH.
TXBEAR_bf
I was sort of kidding on this one, but funny how close to true my comment actually was.
Louisville has a great hoops tradition. One thing that sort of separates it from other blue bloods is the lack of a tradition rich stadium. Kansas, UNC, IU, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA all have a gyms I really want to get to. Been to Kansas, Duke and UNC. They are really special places in the history of the game, I just don't feel the same about Louisville…right or wrong. Admittedly, if I wasn't a Baylor fan I would feel the same about Waco as I do about Louisville.
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Video of round 1 interview. I think he nailed it.

For those seeking insight into Drew's attitude about Baylor and his long term plans, this provides some clues. Mostly, he talks about his faith and applies that to other issues. Anyone who has paid attention to what he says over the past few years (probably the past 20+) will know that this kind of talk is consistent and genuine.

Any sports personality who doesn't believe that Drew is serious about his faith probably doesn't know much about the man and hasn't made much effort to find out. As I said above, Drew has no reason to leave & plenty of reasons to stay where he is.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Alanin502
Speaking of faith. Louisville has one of if not the leading Baptist Seminaries in the country (link provided). It's also a huge Catholic community. I think that's great about Scott Drew being a faithful man. He may stay in Waco but Louisville has a lot of plusses. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (sbts.edu)
historian
Also, there is this:

https://sicem365.com/s/17037/scott-drew-i-hope-to-bring-a-bunch-of-championships-here-to-baylor
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
blackie
Alanin502 said:

Speaking of faith. Louisville has one of if not the leading Baptist Seminaries in the country (link provided). It's also a huge Catholic community. I think that's great about Scott Drew being a faithful man. He may stay in Waco but Louisville has a lot of plusses. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (sbts.edu)
You don't get it. His faith is a part of his program. Perhaps I am wrong, but isn't Louisville a public university? So they would be fine having him promote Jesus in just about every opportunity he could on the public address system in the arena? His faith is more important than his program to him. He would not be happy with any stipulations the university might put on him to "tone it down". The motto of the team would be JOY (Jesus first, others second, and yourself last). If so, it would be the only public university in the country that would allow it.
vanillabryce
What conference is Louisville going to be in three years from now?
Alanin502
Listening to the AD's press conference earlier some say it sounds like there were hints of Will Wade maybe being the front runner. He was asked if there would be a search committee and he said no it's not needed. So whoever it is, it sounds like maybe he has his next coach. But we probably won't know who that is with their teams still playing and going to the NCAA Tourney
Stefano DiMera
According to this Drew is the betting favorite in Vegas to get the job.

Probably the most interesting thing in that article is Ole Miss extended Chris Beard 4(!) years today. They tanked in the second half of season after starting 14-0 so not sure why the need to extend him. I don't see him as a candidate for West Virginia.DePaul...Ohio St..or Louisville.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2024/03/13/ncaa-coaching-carousel-louisville-fires-kenny-payne-baylors-scott-drew-is-betting-favorite/

PartyBear
I'm not sure why perhaps it's that I'm older or I think Drew would be dumb to make this move but none of this is creating any anxiety for me.
TXBEAR_bf
Will Wade would be perfect for the job, he got his second chance and has done well.
Guitarbiscuit
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure why perhaps it's that I'm older or I think Drew would be dumb to make this move but none of this is creating any anxiety for me.

I, like you, have a good amount of anxiety over Louisville's going after Drew. It's easy for Baylor fans to sit back and act nonchalant and say, "Nah it will never happen, not in a million years."

The fact that Drew said he hopes to win many championships at Baylor is meaningless to me.

Money does talk, and it also talks to Christians like CSD of high character. It matters to me.

If someone offered me a salary that increased my pay by more than 1 million and at least 20 percent, I would listen, and there's a chance I would go, especially if the AD did not raise my salary to get in line with what the other party offered me.

The main thing is the fact that Vegas currently has CSD as the favorite. I can only hope Vegas is very wrong here, but I am not comfortable with Drew having the best odds. At times, Vegas knows things commoners like me do not.

I just hope there is money available to put CSD's salary closer to the 6 million mark so that he is not tempted to leave for monetary reasons.

And I hope that he doesn't have some secret issue with the administration that money cannot fix.

Bear in AL
I may be a bit old school and naive to current climate, but I would offer that just as Coach K was, and will always be, tied to/synonymous with Duke, Scott Drew is, and can be, always the same with Baylor. To me, he epitomizes Baylor's DNA of being Top Tier in academics and athletics encapsulated within our Christian Mission. His faith seems real and authentic. I believe this is what recruits and their parents experience with him. I don't think CSD would have the same kind of platform at pretty much any other school in CBB.
Mitch Henessey
Guitarbiscuit said:

PartyBear said:

I, like you, have a good amount of anxiety over Louisville's going after Drew. It's easy for Baylor fans to sit back and act nonchalant and say, "Nah it will never happen, not in a million years."

The fact that Drew said he hopes to win many championships at Baylor is meaningless to me.

Money does talk, and it also talks to Christians like CSD of high character. It matters to me.

If someone offered me a salary that increased my pay by more than 1 million and at least 20 percent, I would listen, and there's a chance I would go, especially if the AD did not raise my salary to get in line with what the other party offered me.

The main thing is the fact that Vegas currently has CSD as the favorite. I can only hope Vegas is very wrong here, but I am not comfortable with Drew having the best odds. At times, Vegas knows things commoners like me do not.

I just hope there is money available to put CSD's salary closer to the 6 million mark so that he is not tempted to leave for monetary reasons.

And I hope that he doesn't have some secret issue with the administration that money cannot fix.

What are you talking about? PartyBear just said he wasn't worried about it and you went off on some rant about secret issues with the admin.

FYI, Drew made over $6mm in 2022. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that number is higher now. Some have speculated he has a kicker in his contract that increases his number each year he makes the NCAA tournament.
Bear in AL
Another thought . . . maybe CSD is entertaining all the speculation in order to have more leverage to get raises for his assistants.
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

According to this Drew is the betting favorite in Vegas to get the job.

Probably the most interesting thing in that article is Ole Miss extended Chris Beard 4(!) years today. They tanked in the second half of season after starting 14-0 so not sure why the need to extend him. I don't see him as a candidate for West Virginia.DePaul...Ohio St..or Louisville.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2024/03/13/ncaa-coaching-carousel-louisville-fires-kenny-payne-baylors-scott-drew-is-betting-favorite/

Bet Kentucky isn't the gambling brain trust of Las Vegas. Also the list they have is honestly delusional. Nate Oats and Mick Cronin aren't leaving for Louisville. Louisville isn't made of money like people pretend. They're not affording a $12 M buyout for Oats, and the current status of the program isn't going to attract Cronin or Drew or anyone who's a final four coach at a major program (FAU maybe).

This is a fan casting if I've ever seen one.

The only fear I ever have about Drew with leaving is if he gets crossways with our administration who loves to get crossways with successful coaches. Let's not forget this administration prioritizes firing athletic directors that fail to alienating successful coaches, and gives hilarious contracts to ones that chase away all time greats.

TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Guitarbiscuit said:

PartyBear said:

I don't think we know what CSD makes, but I'd expect it's competitive. Also, I'd expect BU to be able to match Louisville.

I don't have any anxiety about CSD leaving for Louisville, CSD is like Teaff, a Baylor icon, and I'd like to think that if he's treated fairly by BU that he would not want to leave. But who knows, anything is possible.
Guitarbiscuit

I have no idea what you are talking about, didn't even look at what PartyBear said.

And I'm not trying to rant. It sounds to me like you are interested in some fight or something, and I am too tired for that.

What I am saying is that there needs to be a healthy respect for the fact that he can leave if he wants. Coach Drew does not owe us a thing.

I don't know where you got the fact that Drew is making 6 million. If he is, then great.

Guitarbiscuit
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Guitarbiscuit said:

PartyBear said:

I don't think we know what CSD makes, but I'd expect it's competitive. Also, I'd expect BU to be able to match Louisville.

I don't have any anxiety about CSD leaving for Louisville, CSD is like Teaff, a Baylor icon, and I'd like to think that if he's treated fairly by BU that he would not want to leave. But who knows, anything is possible.

I get you, and I hope you're right. I am just a bit concerned about the Vegas odds. The good news I see is that while he's the betting favorite, he's not by any means the runaway betting favorite. So I'll hang my hope on that.
Mitch Henessey
Guitarbiscuit said:

I have no idea what you are talking about, didn't even look at what PartyBear said.

And I'm not trying to rant. It sounds to me like you are interested in some fight or something, and I am too tired for that.

What I am saying is that there needs to be a healthy respect for the fact that he can leave if he wants. Coach Drew does not owe us a thing.

I don't know where you got the fact that Drew is making 6 million. If he is, then great.

You quoted him, and said "I, like you, am very concerned" on a post where he clearly said he felt no anxiety.

The 2022 salary came from Drew's tax returns. Probably in his best interest to be honest about that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.