Louisville actually thinks they have a chance at Drew

33,308 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ScottS
TeamPlayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Most people outside of Lexington probably view UL fondly. It's always been an easy program to root for.

I've been to the YUM Center for the NCAA tournament. Cavernous and corporate is what I saw. It's not for everybody, but I'm sure some coaches love the feel of a huge arena.

UL has been a disaster for several years. I liked Chris Mack and thought he would do better there. There are other coaches out there that are better fits than Drew. I can't imagine UL alums and players being OK with constantly talking about Jesus.
gobears20
Staff
JdH502
TeamPlayer said:

Most people outside of Lexington probably view UL fondly. It's always been an easy program to root for.

I've been to the YUM Center for the NCAA tournament. Cavernous and corporate is what I saw. It's not for everybody, but I'm sure some coaches love the feel of a huge arena.

UL has been a disaster for several years. I liked Chris Mack and thought he would do better there. There are other coaches out there that are better fits than Drew. I can't imagine UL alums and players being OK with constantly talking about Jesus.

Personally, I loved our old arena (Freedom Hall) because of the intimate feel when watching a game. The YUM is amazing when UofL is winning and the arena is pack, but lately it's been pretty depressing.

I hate the way people look at UofL nowadays and it's not the program I grew up watching. Basketball is everything to our city and it's been pretty rough lately. The past couple of years have absolutely crushed local downtown businesses because of the lack of attendance to UofL games. Basketball has a massive effect on the economy here, which people don't realize if you're not a local.

As for the UofL not being okay with the jesus talk, I'll disagree with you there. This is Kentucky and religion is a big deal here. I don't see anyone having an issue with it and I actually think we'd be pretty welcoming. All we want is to be relevant again and get back to winning.
JdH502
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

JdH502 said:

UofL fan here. I just wanted to chime in with my opinion on Drew.

Personally, I don't see Drew leaving Baylor for any school. Would I love if he actually ended up at UofL, of course. But it's tough to see someone that has been at a school for 20+ years, built a program from the ground up & has had a ton of success just pack up and leave.

Saying that....UofL will make an offer that not many coaches would turn down. I just heard that they're willing to make him the 3rd highest paid coach in college basketball behind Bill Self & Calipari. Will this be enough to sway Drew? I don't think so, but we'll see.

Thought CSD already was right in the ballpark of 3rd. I think Self is now the highest paid coach also, I read that he effectively got an amazing bump and an annually renewing contract.

Will be interesting to hear what Louisville plans to offer CSD. Desperate times, desperate measures. So they could be throwing all kinds of crazy money at CSD. I think we keep Drew, but at least the Louisville fans are keeping it interesting.

If you're program has been a dumpster fire for the past 10 years and you're trying to hire who I consider the best coach in college basketball, you better be desperate. From what I've heard, we'll be offering over $8mil and making it clear that he'll have more than enough NIL. We're supposedly willing to spend between $3-$4 mil.
historian
Is this guy someone Baylor would want? We probably don't need another PG but there might be other reasons to pursue him. It's also possible he already has interest in some other team.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
IvanBear
JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Personally, I loved our old arena (Freedom Hall) because of the intimate feel when watching a game. The YUM is amazing when UofL is winning and the arena is pack, but lately it's been pretty depressing.

I hate the way people look at UofL nowadays and it's not the program I grew up watching. Basketball is everything to our city and it's been pretty rough lately. The past couple of years have absolutely crushed local downtown businesses because of the lack of attendance to UofL games. Basketball has a massive effect on the economy here, which people don't realize if you're not a local.

As for the UofL not being okay with the jesus talk, I'll disagree with you there. This is Kentucky and religion is a big deal here. I don't see anyone having an issue with it and I actually think we'd be pretty welcoming. All we want is to be relevant again and get back to winning.
The problem is never the fan base it's your administrators who I promise you will have a problem with Christianity being preached at a public university.
JdH502
IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

The problem is never the fan base it's your administrators who I promise you will have a problem with Christianity being preached at a public university.

You say preaching. I don't consider what I've seen of Drew to be preachy, but maybe I'm wrong. He expresses his strong religious views, which is great and he has prayers on the court. Am I missing something more significant? By no means is this a big deal and would draw no negative attention from UofL or it's administrators. If there was any hint that this would be an issue, UofL wouldn't be willing to throw $8mil to hire Drew.
RightRevBear
JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

You say preaching. I don't consider what I've seen of Drew to be preachy, but maybe I'm wrong. He expresses his strong religious views, which is great and he has prayers on the court. Am I missing something more significant? By no means is this a big deal and would draw no negative attention from UofL or it's administrators. If there was any hint that this would be an issue, UofL wouldn't be willing to throw $8mil to hire Drew.

Drew's team philosophy is JOY. Jesus, Others, You in that order. This is something that permeates every part of the program.
historian
JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Drew doesn't preach but faithless people might see it that way.
IvanBear
JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

The testimony of quite a few baylor players would immediately show you that Christ is front and center in his program. The multiple baptisms that have come out of our basketball team would make any public left leaning university uncomfortable. At best they'd turn a blind eye to it until someone on a board or a booster gets pissed off and then it would be a big deal. Secular universities don't let that pesky Jesus stuff be taken seriously and drew does take it seriously.
JdH502
IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

The testimony of quite a few baylor players would immediately show you that Christ is front and center in his program. The multiple baptisms that have come out of our basketball team would make any public left leaning university uncomfortable. At best they'd turn a blind eye to it until someone on a board or a booster gets pissed off and then it would be a big deal. Secular universities don't let that pesky Jesus stuff be taken seriously and drew does take it seriously.
Understood. Personally, I don't think that would be an issue at all at UofL. One of the main reasons that we're going after him is because of his high character. Our athletic director has done his research & knows everything that comes with hiring Drew. Either way though, I don't think we'll even land him & I'm betting he comes away from this with a new Baylor lifetime contract.
LIB,MR BEARS
JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Drew made a comment once that would never fly in Louisville. It was something akin to "If we never win another game I'll be happy so long as we introduce the gospel to these young men."

Somehow, I don't think that fits well with the Louisville culture.
EvilTroyAndAbed
LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Drew made a comment once that would never fly in Louisville. It was something akin to "If we never win another game I'll be happy so long as we introduce the gospel to these young men."

Look, he's not going, but I don't know why everyone here is trying to turn Louisville into some kind of atheistic paradise. It's in Kentucky. In the South. They have plenty of Southern Baptists in Kentucky. The notion that every state school is hostile to those with faith is antiquated and false.

But he's not going, so I'm not worried about it.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

It may not fit, but UL definitely is interested in Drew, so it really doesn't matter. They're desperate, and the administrators are either willing to hold their collective noses and/or they are hoping that CSD can be changed.

Really comes down to money and what CSD wants for his family, career, and legacy. I personally think CSD to Louisville makes no sense at this point in his career, that BU will do everything to keep CSD, and that CSD will stay.
LIB,MR BEARS
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Look, he's not going, but I don't know why everyone here is trying to turn Louisville into some kind of atheistic paradise. It's in Kentucky. In the South. They have plenty of Southern Baptists in Kentucky. The notion that every state school is hostile to those with faith is antiquated and false.

I've no issue with Kentucky folks. I have big issues with state school administrators
IvanBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

I don't think anyone's worried about him going, the entire Drew to Louisville thing makes zero sense and always had, its some fans and local media, no one with any ties to the Big 12, Baylor, or Drew has even given this an ounce of credibility.

At most this is an agent working to bump Drew's lifetime contract to an even higher number. I assume he'll be north of $6m next year.

That aside, you must have not been around many universities and the people running them if you don't think an openly Christian coach at a public university will eventually cause problems. He will be on their bad side from day one, and the instant he doesn't bend to someone's will in the exact way they want they'll have him ousted.

You keep talking like Kentucky is deep red Oklahoma or Alabama. Kentucky they has a fairly hostile to Christianity democrat Governor, and any governing body of a public university is going to be far to the left of him. This has nothing to do with the sentiment of people in the state or city.
Stefano DiMera
https://frontofficesports.com/highest-paid-mens-college-basketball-coaches/
hollojaa
Scott Drew set to accept coaching position at Louisville.
Wangchung
hollojaa said:

Scott Drew set to accept coaching position at Louisville.

Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
JdH502
IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

I don't think anyone's worried about him going, the entire Drew to Louisville thing makes zero sense and always had, its some fans and local media, no one with any ties to the Big 12, Baylor, or Drew has even given this an ounce of credibility.

At most this is an agent working to bump Drew's lifetime contract to an even higher number. I assume he'll be north of $6m next year.

That aside, you must have not been around many universities and the people running them if you don't think an openly Christian coach at a public university will eventually cause problems. He will be on their bad side from day one, and the instant he doesn't bend to someone's will in the exact way they want they'll have him ousted.

You keep talking like Kentucky is deep red Oklahoma or Alabama. Kentucky they has a fairly hostile to Christianity democrat Governor, and any governing body of a public university is going to be far to the left of him. This has nothing to do with the sentiment of people in the state or city.

Drew makes a ton of sense for us. He's rebuilt a program, has high character & has the ability to turn things around quickly.

There was a meeting between both parties yesterday. The offer on the table from Louisville was $8mil, not including incentives. Drews representatives did not say yes or no, just that they would talk things over with him. Again, I don't think he leaves Baylor, but they will probably have to offer him more than $6mil IMO.

What about Dabo Swinney at Clemson? There is no coach, including Drew, that is more open about his religious views than him and he coaches at a public school. Why is that different than Drew at Louisville?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Drew makes a ton of sense for us. He's rebuilt a program, has high character & has the ability to turn things around quickly.

There was a meeting between both parties yesterday. The offer on the table from Louisville was $8mil, not including incentives. Drews representatives did not say yes or no, just that they would talk things over with him. Again, I don't think he leaves Baylor, but they will probably have to offer him more than $6mil IMO.

What about Dabo Swinney at Clemson? There is no coach, including Drew, that is more open about his religious views than him and he coaches at a public school. Why is that different than Drew at Louisville?

Drew makes a ton of sense for just about any program. Really about what he wants at this point. None of us know what CSD wants, but most believe that he's a best fit at BU. His quality of life and work are maximized here for various reasons, one of those of course is freedom to bring faith into sports however he sees fit, without some spoken or unspoken pressure to keep a lid on it.

As for Dabo, I think many here may be overstating what Louisville would be willing to "put up" with. Frankly, if CSD is winning, they will overlook his Christian "peculiarities"... as long as he is winning.

Of course, Louisville needs to be prepared for "one team, one God, one goal" type of warm up team t-shirts and the like. Just gotta wonder if that would even be allowed or not. At BU, already done, at UL, might cause a stir.

We'll see what happens, but most here aren't losing sleep over CSD leaving. But 8-10 million is a lot of jack and would be hard for anyone to turn down. At the end of the day I just think BU gets CSD where he needs to be and stays,

Last, CSD will bring the gospel wherever he goes, and many of your fans will have to hold their noses.
DallasBear9902
JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

I won't touch the business case.

Re: faith and the comparison to Dabo what you guys keep ignoring is this isn't just about his faith. But it is about integrating his faith into every fiber of the program.

It is the entire team coaches, and staff kneeling in prayer at the end of every game (not optional) at midcourt.

It is about a culture of JOY not just talked about by the coach or players but plastered all over official school marketing materials produced by the athletic department.

It is about grabbing the microphone after every senior night game and leading the entire arena in prayer of blessing for the departing seniors.

This is about hiring a coaching staff that is completely on board with the faith.

This isn't Dabo level talking about his faith (and I have a lot of respect for Dabo). This isn't about the broader community welcoming his faith. This is about integrating and embedding his faith into every last part of the basketball program officially with explicit endorsement from the school administration. He simply can't do that at a state school and all it would take is one person making a complaint.

He could perhaps stretch the limits like on hiring decisions at a state school (partially by being coy about it), but he simply could not legally run the same program at Louisville or any state school like he can at Baylor.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
DallasBear9902 said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

I won't touch the business case.

Re: faith and the comparison to Dabo what you guys keep ignoring is this isn't just about his faith. But it is about integrating his faith into every fiber of the program.

It is the entire team coaches, and staff kneeling in prayer at the end of every game (not optional) at midcourt.

It is about a culture of JOY not just talked about by the coach or players but plastered all over official school marketing materials produced by the athletic department.

It is about grabbing the microphone after every senior night game and leading the entire arena in prayer of blessing for the departing seniors.

This is about hiring a coaching staff that is completely on board with the faith.

This isn't Dabo level talking about his faith (and I have a lot of respect for Dabo). This isn't about the broader community welcoming his faith. This is about integrating and embedding his faith into every last part of the basketball program officially with explicit endorsement from the school administration. He simply can't do that at a state school and all it would take is one person making a complaint.

He could perhaps stretch the limits like on hiring decisions at a state school (partially by being coy about it), but he simply could not legally run the same program at Louisville or any state school like he can at Baylor.

I agree that UL fans don't get it. Your post above is how CSD's operated here because he has the freedom to do so. But that doesn't mean that CSD couldn't or wouldn't be willing to approach things differently, aka the Dabo way, if he felt going to UL was where he needs/wants to be. Really hard to say what another man wants, but as I said, imo I think he stays because BU is his best fit.
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I think Drew has said this multiple times, including quite recently.
historian
Louisville is not Clemson and Kentucky is not Sough Carolina. Some significant differences.
IvanBear
JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Is that offer per a couple of rando's with a radio show trying to generate news? I really have no ill will towards Louisville, but man the cope of this program is kinda shocking.

TinFoilHatPreacherBear
So should we take tonight's sad performances as a sign that maybe CSD is doing the unthinkable???
IvanBear

So should we take tonight's sad performances as a sign that maybe CSD is doing the unthinkable???

You mean doing the same thing we do in this tournament every year (look totally disinterested a fake neutral site game against Iowa state)?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
IvanBear said:

You mean doing the same thing we do in this tournament every year (look totally disinterested a fake neutral site game against Iowa state)?

I know, I know, rinse and repeat, every year.
JdH502
IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

JdH502 said:

IvanBear said:

JdH502 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Is that offer per a couple of rando's with a radio show trying to generate news? I really have no ill will towards Louisville, but man the cope of this program is kinda shocking.

It's 100% true per multiple inside sources.

Here's my issue. We (UofL) are going all in on Drew and I don't see him leaving Baylor. While we're going after him, the other coaching options are getting extensions or signing with other teams. Also, what coach wants to b the backup plan? I'm definitely concerned about UofLs approach here because if it does'nt work out with Drew, we're going to be in trouble.
PartyBear
I'm not sure why y'all haven't gone after Tang, if you love Drew so much. He was probably much more gettable although maybe not, he seems to love where he is even though it is just year 2. Also there is McCasland at Tech just in year 1 not sure why not pursue him although he has been playing a guy with a sec assault charge, so I can see that maybe being a deal breaker.
ScottS
They could have Walz coach both men's and women's.
Jacques Strap
I hope he stays but the NIL era has changed college $ports so who knows.
ZachTay
ScottS said:

You do realize something…..if Drew ever goes to another university while on Mack's watch,Mac will have lost 2 hall of fame basketball coaches. I doubt he lets that happen.
Don't underestimate Hit The Rhoades. He'll surprise you every time.

UTEP, Akron, Houston and Missouri all say hello.....
JdH502
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure why y'all haven't gone after Tang, if you love Drew so much. He was probably much more gettable although maybe not, he seems to love where he is even though it is just year 2. Also there is McCasland at Tech just in year 1 not sure why not pursue him although he has been playing a guy with a sec assault charge, so I can see that maybe being a deal breaker.

I think we'd all agree that it doesn't get better than Drew. I think Tang is a great coach though, don't get me wrong. There's just a large gap between SD and really, all other options.

I believe the other top options that are attainable are Dusty May and Josh Schertz. We'd love to have a chance at coaches like Shaka Smart and Otzelberger, but their buyouts are way too high.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.