* * Dallas Mavericks

46,727 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
vanillabryce said:

Yeah don't think he's ready just yet. Probably 2 way player, but a talented one.
What a story he would be drafted in Rd 2 if he made the All Rookie team or something

Really interested in the UdFA, Bingham. If not for a bout with Covid mid season, he might have been a first rounder. we desperately need mass in the paint. Warriors were chewing us up when the threes werent dropping for us
Assassin
basketball.realgm:

Jalen Brunson Expected To Decide Between Mavericks, Knicks
JUN 27, 2022 10:19 AM

The Dallas Mavericks want to re-sign Jalen Brunson, and have publicly made that known. The New York Knicks can't publicly say they want to sign Brunson, but they seem to be gearing up for a run at the free agent point guard.

After the 2022 NBA Draft, where New York cleared some additional 2022 cap space, it now seems like Brunson's options are down to the Mavs or Knicks. The Detroit Pistons and Indiana Pacers are no longer being mentioned as potential destinations for Brunson. The Washington Wizards, who have openly talked about their need for a point guard, have no real path towards signing Brunson.

Brunson's next contract is expected to be somewhere in the range of four-years and $100 million. The Knicks are one salary-clearing deal away from creating the space to sign Brunson to a big enough first-year salary for a $100 million contract. The Mavericks can re-sign Brunson to any deal up to his max using his Bird Rights.
Assassin
IF Brunson goes to NY, do we make a move on Kyrie Irving? Similar money I suspect, although Kyrie isnt exactly a team player, maybe getting so many assists from Luca will make him happier
Assassin
  • Mavericks assistant GM Keith Grant announced his retirement Monday after 42 seasons, according to a team press release. "Keith Grant is an NBA legend with a heart of gold," Mavericks Governor Mark Cuban said in the statement. "He did so much for the Mavs, and he made our organization and our community better. I can't express enough appreciation for everything that KG has done for this franchise." Grant has been an assistant GM since 1998.
Assassin
Kyrie Irving has decided to opt in to his contract next season, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets. By exercising the $36.9MM option, Irving is bypassing on multiple opt-in and trade scenarios in order to fulfill his four-year commitment to the Nets and Kevin Durant, Charania adds. (Twitter links).

Irving is entering the final year of his four-year, $136.5MM deal.
parch
Assassin said:

IF Brunson goes to NY, do we make a move on Kyrie Irving? Similar money I suspect, although Kyrie isnt exactly a team player, maybe getting so many assists from Luca will make him happier
I guess it depends on what the Nets want since Kyrie isn't unrestricted, but I would say a big hell no based on what I've seen. Kyrie playing an entire season based on his history is extremely unlikely no matter where he goes, and the Nets simply don't think he's committed enough to justify anything even remotely in his price range. Which is hard to disagree with.

Personally I think Brunson will take the extra year and more cash to stay in Dallas and compete for an NBA finals run vs. taking less money to join a worse team just to be in a system with his dad and be the primary ball-handler.

Brunson is no superstar. If he goes to NY they're going to run him out of town within three years, they don't have the pieces to prop him up.
EvilTroyAndAbed
parch said:

Assassin said:

I guess it depends on what the Nets want since Kyrie isn't unrestricted, but I would say a big hell no based on what I've seen. Kyrie playing an entire season based on his history is extremely unlikely no matter where he goes, and the Nets simply don't think he's committed enough to justify anything even remotely in his price range. Which is hard to disagree with.

Personally I think Brunson will take the extra year and more cash to stay in Dallas and compete for an NBA finals run vs. taking less money to join a worse team just to be in a system with his dad and be the primary ball-handler.

Brunson is no superstar. If he goes to NY they're going to run him out of town within three years, they don't have the pieces to prop him up.

Start the three-year clock.
Assassin
Jalen Brunson intends to sign a four-year, $110 million deal with the New York Knicks at the start of free agency. The deal will likely be worth approximately $105 million plus additional incentives.

Brunson informed the Dallas Mavericks of his plans. The Mavericks were never given a chance to make an offer to Brunson.
Assassin
seems to me that the Mavs werent as enamored of Brunson as the Knicks were anyway.

N0w it will be interesting to see who they go after with that cash
Assassin
More beef upfront

Assassin
Assassin
Assassin said:

More beef upfront

Tim MacMahon: JaVale McGee told ESPN that he expects to be Dallas' starting center. He will reunite with head coach Jason Kidd and assistant coach Jared Dudley, who were part of a Lakers' title run with McGee.

18 hours ago via Twitter espn_macmahon
Assassin
Dang, go from Dwight Powell at C to Christian Wood and Javale McGee. Thats two 7 foot rim blockers plus Wood can play PF and shoot the 3.

Not worried about losing Jalen Brunson at all right now. Gives us some cash to play with plus the MVE. I dont think Dallas really wanted to pay him 100m plus to be honest
Assassin
Assassin said:

Theo Pinson and the Dallas Mavericks have agreed to a one-year deal.

Pinson was widely expected to remain with the Mavericks as he was one of their more spirited locker room guys during their run to the Western Conference Finals.
Assassin
dang, Utah cleaned up on this deal:

The Minnesota Timberwolves are acquiring Rudy Gobert from the Utah Jazz for a package of five players and multiple future draft picks. The Jazz will acquire Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverley, Leandro Bolmaro, Jarred Vanderbilt and the draft rights to 2022 first-round pick Walker Kessler.

The Jazz will also acquire unprotected first-round picks in 2023, 2025 and 2027. In addition, Utah acquires a top-5 protected first-round pick in 2029 and the right to swap picks in 2026.
Assassin
Jalen Brunson goes to Knicks, a team for whom Rick Brunson played and works, a team that Leon Rose runs, and Leon Rose was Rick Brunson's agent, and Leon Rose - reportedly - is Jalen Brunson's godfather, and Leon Rose is Sam Rose's father, and Sam Rose is Jalen Brunson's agent.
Assassin
Assassin
Assassin
Most current list of 2022 NBA Free Agents
parch
Woof, $100+ million for Brunson, a guy with a half a good season in his NBA career. Good on him for betting on himself and winning, but the Knicks absolutely fumbled that assessment. Tough to lose a good player, especially when the Mavs could've had him for $55 million in January, but I would agree with the Dallas FO that four really good months isn't enough to double your going rate.

With Hardaway coming back and Wood signed, I don't think we'll be any worse off without him. We don't have enough assets to pull off a big swing in FA, so we'll see what Harrison does next.

Assassin
JaVale McGee's fit with Luka Doncic: Starter or not, get ready for Mavericks' own lob city
Assassin
parch said:

Woof, $100+ million for Brunson, a guy with a half a good season in his NBA career. Good on him for betting on himself and winning, but the Knicks absolutely fumbled that assessment. Tough to lose a good player, especially when the Mavs could've had him for $55 million in January, but I would agree with the Dallas FO that four really good months isn't enough to double your going rate.

With Hardaway coming back and Wood signed, I don't think we'll be any worse off without him. We don't have enough assets to pull off a big swing in FA, so we'll see what Harrison does next.

Pretty much what I thought. Didnt think the Mavs were that interested in spendin 6 figures on Brunson. Now they get to sign some folks that can help with the cash saved.

It will be interesting to see if the Rd 2 kid Jaden Hardy works into the mix. Supposedly super talented. Mavs had him rated #17 on their boards thus the trade to move up to get him.

Jaden Hardy
Assassin
Powell and McGee ranked as some of the NBA's best roll-men in pick-and-and roll settings last season. McGee averaged 1.4 points per possession at a 28.4% pick-and-roll frequency statistics close to Powell's 1.42 points at 28.9% and better than Wood's 1.2 points at 16.9%.

Guard play has significant influence on efficiency, but transitioning from a Chris Paul-led offense to Doncic means McGee is already accustomed to elite vision and creative passing.
Assassin
Doncic's grind as the Mavericks' leading scorer *and* passer *and* rebounder became apparent during the three-round playoff run.

The Utah Jazz out-rebounded them 103-65 in the first two games Doncic missed with a calf injury and the Golden State Warriors did so in four of the five conference finals outings. Small-ball Dallas endured a minus-154 rebounding margin (811-657) in 18 postseason games.

McGee should help alleviate Doncic's pressure on the boards.

His per-36-minutes averages last season: 15.2 rebounds and 2.5 blocks.

Powell's: 8.1 rebounds and 0.8 blocks.

Even in a 15-minute-a-game reserve role, McGee's 496 total rebounds ranked higher than all Mavericks' but Doncic (593).

McGee should also reinforce some of the defensive rim protection Dallas sacrificed in the Kristaps Porzingis trade. He reached the league's top 20 in average blocks (1.1) and season total (81) and swatted 23 more shots than the Mavericks' leader, Maxi Kleber (58).
Assassin
Assassin
Jazz Trade Rudy Gobert to Wolves; Mavs Ripple Effect? NBA Tracker
Assassin
Assassin
Marc Stein: Mavericks roster note: Dallas essentially has one spot left and has weighed leaving it open, league sources say. While Dallas has shown interest in Goran Dragic, it still has a clear need for wing additions and could wait to see if an unexpected option to address that surfaces.

2 hours ago via Twitter TheSteinLine
Assassin
Good news. Shaq has decided to come back to Dallas... at least to live. BOught a palace in Carrollton
Assassin
Julius randle give away in NY....

Havent really followed the Knicks team but Randle is a star. 6'8, 250 PF - sounds a lot like what we were missing vs Golden State. Averaged 20ish pts and 10ish boards. Definately worth a looksee if they can fit that contract into the mix
Assassin
The Athletic on Javale McGee contract

And yet the Mavericks gave him a three-year deal one with a player option! that took up their entire taxpayer's midlevel exception, a team source confirms. It's possible another bidder made this cost necessary to sign McGee. I'm going to be incredibly measured with any criticism in the opening hours of free agency, before we know the entire scope of transactions that Dallas has made. But the unfortunate consequence, to my understanding, is that Dallas can no longer sign new draftee Jaden Hardy to a contract longer than a two-year deal at the minimum. If they had retained just over $1 million of the exception to use on him, the Mavericks could have secured his rights cheaply for one more season although not four, since players can't sign with this exception for more than three.
Assassin
Assassin
Damn, Dragic signed with Bulls leaving our one spot open. Would have been a nice rotational wing.

Assassin
Keith Smith: Maxi Kleber's contract with the Dallas Mavericks will become fully guaranteed for $9M if he's not waived today.

8 hours ago via Twitter KeithSmithNBA
Assassin
The Dallas Mavericks are expected to retain Frank Ntilikina for next season, sources told Marc Stein.
Ntilikina's contract for $2 million becomes guaranteed on July 4.
Ntilikina averaged 4.1 points last season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.