* * Dallas Mavericks

70,770 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Luka Doncic is the leader in points, assists, rebounds, and steals this postseason. Nobody else has ever done that.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
GoodOleBaylorLine
Last night was a stinker, but it was a successful season for sure. Just wish Kyrie was about 4 years younger
Assassin
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

Last night was a stinker, but it was a successful season for sure. Just wish Kyrie was about 4 years younger
Younger but still wiser like he is now. He's been a bit of a stinker in other places over the years
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Next season is gonna be interesting. Wembaya in San Antonio is a force. And they have the #4 and #8 picks in the draft. If they draft right, gonna be Texas tough in the NBA
GoodOleBaylorLine
Assassin said:

GoodOleBaylorLine said:

Younger but still wiser like he is now. He's been a bit of a stinker in other places over the years
That's true. I am not sure I want actual Kyrie from 2020.
Assassin
Dallas Mavericks selected 20-year-old Saint-Quentin wing Melvin Ajina with the No. 51 pick.
Assassin
G
Melvin Ajina
6'7"214 lbsFrance
27POS RK
48OVR RK

Melvin Ajinca's NBA draft profile
Check out some of the top highlights from NBA draft prospect Melvin Ajinca.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths: Ajinca is a promising role player coming off a solid season in Pro A France. He had several impactful stretches, finding his range impressively and bringing great energy on the defensive end of the floor.

Weaknesses: While Ajinca has run red-hot at times, his consistency as a shooter is critical (career 32% mark from 3-point range). He has an even wingspan and lacks great ballhandling and the playmaking ability to consistently create his own shot. He will also have some lapses at times on the defensive end.

The verdict: Ajinca improved his standing considerably at the FIBA U19 World Cup last summer, flashing dynamic shot-making prowess and bringing aggressiveness on both ends of the floor. He did that in spurts in Saint-Quentin last season and has intrigue when he puts everything together offensively. He's young, with his 20th birthday on June 26. -- Jonathan Givony
Assassin
Assassin
The trade positions the Mavs to be able to use part of the $12.9 million nontaxpayer midlevel exception. Dallas had been limited to the $5.2 million taxpayer midlevel with Hardaway on its books.

Sounds like it was made to clear room to sign Derrick Jones to a deal. Grimes was just the throw in
Assassin
Anjica note https://www.fox4news.com/sports/dallas-mavericks-trade-up-nba-draft-select-french-star
Assassin
Klay Thompson reportedly speaking to Dallas about the MLE. Would he be better then D Jones for that MLE?
Keyser Soze
Yes, but I can't believe he can be had for that
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

Yes, but I can't believe he can be had for that
I had the same thoughts, but maybe he's made all the money he needs to make. He's been making tens of millions a year for a long time. Just speculating. Plus, if he really paid attention to the NBA Finals, maybe he thinks that he is that little bit of something to push them over the top
Assassin
Guess who's coming to dinner?

Assassin
Assassin

5 things to know about Naji Marshall, the newest addition to Mavericks' roster
Marshall is the next 3-and-D wing to join the group led by Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving.

NBA free agency has arrived and the Dallas Mavericks are on the board.
A few hours after the negotiating period started, Dallas reportedly added a 3-and-D wing to its ranks. Former Pelicans forward Naji Marshall will join the group led by Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving, replacing Derrick Jones Jr. after his reported move to the Clippers.

Here are five things to know about Marshall:
1. The basics
Height: 6-foot-7
Position: SF

College: Xavier
2. Found his role
In four seasons with the New Orleans Pelicans organization, Marshall worked his way up from undrafted free agent to key contributor. He originally signed a two-way deal with the Pelicans in 2020 and spent some time with the Erie Bayhawks, New Orleans' G League affiliate.
Marshall made his Pelicans debut in Dec. 2021, earning a multi-year contract from the team a few months later. Throughout his New Orleans tenure, Marshall established himself as a strong defender and catch-and-shoot 3-point threat.

His ability to close out on shooters and keep ballhandlers in front of him makes him a solid fit next to Doncic and Irving. Marshall averaged 7.1 points and 3.6 rebounds this season with a 3-point clip of 38.7%, which is a career-high.
3. A willing enforcer
In Dallas' latest playoff run, fans quickly grew to love P.J. Washington after he stood up for Doncic in a battle with the Clippers. Dallas might have another enforcer in Marshall.

A 2022 profile from The Athletic's William Guillory detailed how Marshall was ready to protect his star teammates in Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram.
"Anybody mess with (Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram), they've gotta see me," Marshall said.
4. His dad was an athlete
Marshall isn't the only athlete in his family. His father, Maurice, was a professional boxer in the 1990s.

According to Marshall, he never felt pressure to follow his dad's footsteps in the sport. If anything, Maurice supported his son's jump into basketball and other athletic activities.
"He was a professional boxer. He was a heavyweight," Marshall said in a Big East Conference profile. "I think he fought like five fights. But he never wanted me to be boxer. He wanted me to be either a football or basketball player."
5. What Marshall's first name means
The name "Naji" has a deep meaning for the new Mavericks player and his family.

A 2018 story from The Cincinnati Enquirer highlights how Marshall's dad, Maurice, embraced the name thanks to his faith.
"My dad is actually Muslim," said Naji, when asked about the origin of his name. "I'm a Christian. It means strong warrior or survivor. My dad's real name is Maurice but his Muslim nickname is Naji. So his name is Maurice Naji Marshall; my name's Naji Maurice Marshall."

[url=https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2024/06/30/ex-mavericks-f-derrick-jones-jr-agrees-to-three-year-deal-with-clippers-reports-say/][/url]
Assassin
Assassin
Hoping they find a trade partner for Maxi Kleber. A rotational big would be nice!
Assassin
Dallas talking to Dallas FA forward Markieff Morris twin brother, Marcus Morris about a deal. 6'8, he played at power forward and center when needed. Morris averaged 6.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in 17.2 minutes while shooting 40.0% on three-pointers. Played for Philly last season before being traded to the Spurs. Detroit Pistons, Charlotte Hornets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves have also expressed some level of interest. He has career averages of 12.0 points and 4.4 rebounds over 13 seasons with the Houston Rockets, Phoenix Suns, Pistons, Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, Clippers, and Sixers.
Assassin
Assassin
Tim MacMahon: Source confirms that Spencer Dinwiddie has agreed to a one-year deal to return to Dallas. Dinwiddie, the sixth man on the Mavs' conference finals team, provides proven guard depth behind the star duo of Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving.

9 hours ago via Twitter
Assassin
Missed this from a few days ago. Mavericks sign a 7'5 center. I assume to take on the 7'4 Spur center. He looks a little stiff to me https://www.forbes.com/sites/doylerader/2024/08/03/dallas-mavericks-sign-7-foot-5-center-jamarion-sharp-to-1-year-deal/
Assassin
Assassin said:

Missed this from a few days ago. Mavericks sign a 7'5 center. I assume to take on the 7'4 Spur center. He looks a little stiff to me https://www.forbes.com/sites/doylerader/2024/08/03/dallas-mavericks-sign-7-foot-5-center-jamarion-sharp-to-1-year-deal/
Sharp went undrafted as a 22-year-old five-year college player. He started out by spending the first two years of his collegiate career with John A. Logan College - a community college in Carterville, Illinois - where he averaged an eye-popping 5.8 blocks per game during his sophomore year.

Sharp then spent the next two years of college at Western Kentucky, where he averaged 7.8 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 4.4 blocks while shooting 68.2 percent from the floor in 28.3 minutes per game. As a fifth-year senior, Sharp saw his usage decrease after transferring to Ole Miss, where he averaged 3.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks in 15.8 minutes of action per contest.

After joining the Mavs' Summer League team in Las Vegas last month, Sharp impressed spectators with his incredible length, averaging 2.6 blocks in just 14.7 minutes of action through five games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.