Is God in control? 2nd Attempt

59,167 Views | 605 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Stupid assumption. That's just silly. Making up problems where none exist.
You know . . . Pharisees did that a lot.
Yes, you do remind me of Caiaphas, and others here have called you on your hypocrisy, too.

But as to 'assumption', I recall and believe all of Scripture.

. The "assumptions" were the ones you dumped on me not your understanding of the scripture. God gives you freedom to make your own assumptions about scripture but not mine.
When Scripture is taken as written, there is no assumption. Assumption is human meddling to change God's word into something else, like denying miracles simply because they make you uncomfortable.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Yes, you do remind me of Caiaphas, and others here have called you on your hypocrisy, too.

. The "assumptions" were the ones you dumped on me not your understanding of the scripture. God gives you freedom to make your own assumptions about scripture but not mine.
When Scripture is taken as written, there is no assumption. Assumption is human meddling to change God's word into something else, like denying miracles simply because they make you uncomfortable.
If miracles are real, why would they make a believer uncomfortable?
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Because faith is weak in many.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Sounds like Big Steve's NOMA.
http://www.blc.arizona.edu/courses/schaffer/449/Gould%20Nonoverlapping%20Magisteria.htm

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Very much so. A wonderful essay, thanks for posting.
NOMA is a useless concept. Science can explore any area of inquiry, and using mathematics it can explore the probability of certain religious ideas being true. Just because god cannot be disproved doesn't mean he is equally likely to exist as not to exist. NOMA pretends to give science and religion equal weights and equal but different domains. However, it is science that determines where the line of non-overlap occurs. As a result, religion/god is left to the gaps. Once science has developed a way to investigate or explore a given area of religion/s magisteria, religion loses its prerogative. If science draws the line in NOMA, why even bother with the concept if religious magisterial is anything that's not science, as long as it is not science?

You could just as easily say that religion determines the boundaries and science is left to the gaps. It's not necessarily a matter of giving equal weight (people have many opinions on that) but of understanding the nature and limitations of the different modes of inquiry.

You can believe in science, as do I. But to insist that science is the only valid source of truth is not in itself a scientific position. It is a matter of faith just as much as any religious dogma.
Ok, give me an example of where an area previously defined by science has been refuted and attributed to god.
The proper question is whether an area defined by science has been assigned to religion, not God. The NOMA principle is agnostic as to the existence of God.

Gould's book on NOMA has an example of science trespassing the boundaries of religion in the story of William Jennings Bryan and the Scopes trial. Bryan's crusade against evolution was inspired by German military officers in World War I, many of whom were biologists and former university professors. These scientists used Darwinism as a moral justification for cruelty and violence. The German philosophy was that "struggle not only must go on...but it should go on so that this natural law may work out in its cruel, inevitable way the salvation of the human species." Similar ideas are found in the writings of American racists of the same era, including the textbook at issue in the Scopes trial. Regarding certain New York "hill families" allegedly predisposed to poverty and crime, the book states that "if such people were lower animals, we would probably kill them off to prevent them from spreading."

As Gould points out, many people believe that evolution justifies certain behaviors. In some cases this belief may be harmless. In other cases it's far from it. This would not happen if scientists respected the boundaries of their magisterium and understood that science can't answer moral questions or dictate social policy.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

there appears to be several things about scripture that makes 47 uncomfortable, just like it does you.

Why do you each suppose that is?
quash
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

http://www.blc.arizona.edu/courses/schaffer/449/Gould%20Nonoverlapping%20Magisteria.htm

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

NOMA is a useless concept. Science can explore any area of inquiry, and using mathematics it can explore the probability of certain religious ideas being true. Just because god cannot be disproved doesn't mean he is equally likely to exist as not to exist. NOMA pretends to give science and religion equal weights and equal but different domains. However, it is science that determines where the line of non-overlap occurs. As a result, religion/god is left to the gaps. Once science has developed a way to investigate or explore a given area of religion/s magisteria, religion loses its prerogative. If science draws the line in NOMA, why even bother with the concept if religious magisterial is anything that's not science, as long as it is not science?

You could just as easily say that religion determines the boundaries and science is left to the gaps. It's not necessarily a matter of giving equal weight (people have many opinions on that) but of understanding the nature and limitations of the different modes of inquiry.

You can believe in science, as do I. But to insist that science is the only valid source of truth is not in itself a scientific position. It is a matter of faith just as much as any religious dogma.
Ok, give me an example of where an area previously defined by science has been refuted and attributed to god.
The proper question is whether an area defined by science has been assigned to religion, not God. The NOMA principle is agnostic as to the existence of God.

Gould's book on NOMA has an example of science trespassing the boundaries of religion in the story of William Jennings Bryan and the Scopes trial. Bryan's crusade against evolution was inspired by German military officers in World War I, many of whom were biologists and former university professors. These scientists used Darwinism as a moral justification for cruelty and violence. The German philosophy was that "struggle not only must go on...but it should go on so that this natural law may work out in its cruel, inevitable way the salvation of the human species." Similar ideas are found in the writings of American racists of the same era, including the textbook at issue in the Scopes trial. Regarding certain New York "hill families" allegedly predisposed to poverty and crime, the book states that "if such people were lower animals, we would probably kill them off to prevent them from spreading."

As Gould points out, many people believe that evolution justifies certain behaviors. In some cases this belief may be harmless. In other cases it's far from it. This would not happen if scientists respected the boundaries of their magisterium and understood that science can't answer moral questions or dictate social policy.

Unlike Gould I think there is room in both directions for overlap. One example is the letter from the Los Alamos scientists to Truman. http://www.dannen.com/decision/45-07-17.html
Anither is the claim of believers of a worldwide flood and an ark to ride it out. My OT prof didn't buy it but for those who do science can provide evidence to the contrary, and allow believers to move from a literal to an allegorical interpretation.
TexasScientist
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Unlike Gould I think there is room in both directions for overlap. One example is the letter from the Los Alamos scientists to Truman. http://www.dannen.com/decision/45-07-17.html
Anither is the claim of believers of a worldwide flood and an ark to ride it out. My OT prof didn't buy it but for those who do science can provide evidence to the contrary, and allow believers to move from a literal to an allegorical interpretation.
That's not the question I asked, which was what area formerly defined as science was refuted and attributed to god, or even religion as you say. NOMA really doesn't adequately address the issue. However, the real issue is humanism or humanistic determination as to what is moral. Either science can influence that determination or religion can influence that determination. I'd much rather humans use science to make that determination, as opposed to humans using someone's interpretation of a religious edict attributed to an imaginary god.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Religious faith is belief in the absence of empirical evidence. Scientific belief is not the same as religious faith. Rather, it is belief in the presence of empirical evidence. Once you have empirical evidence it is no longer a matter of faith.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Religious faith is belief in the absence of empirical evidence. Scientific belief is not the same as religious faith. Rather, it is belief in the presence of empirical evidence. Once you have empirical evidence it is no longer a matter of faith.
True, scientific belief is not the same as religious faith. But the belief that science can answer all questions is not a scientific belief.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

That's not the question I asked, which was what area formerly defined as science was refuted and attributed to god, or even religion as you say. NOMA really doesn't adequately address the issue. However, the real issue is humanism or humanistic determination as to what is moral. Either science can influence that determination or religion can influence that determination. I'd much rather humans use science to make that determination, as opposed to humans using someone's interpretation of a religious edict attributed to an imaginary god.
The problem is that what is moral is not an empirical question. Even if you think you're basing morality on science, in fact you're always interpreting the science based on pre-existing moral assumptions. When those assumptions are wrong, as they were in the German example, the results are as bad or worse than when you base your morality on religious edicts alone.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

The problem is that what is moral is not an empirical question. Even if you think you're basing morality on science, in fact you're always interpreting the science based on pre-existing moral assumptions. When those assumptions are wrong, as they were in the German example, the results are as bad or worse than when you base your morality on religious edicts alone.
Science is continually testing, probing and revising assumptions based upon evidence and facts. Science asks questions and finds answers based upon the evidence of reality. Religion presupposes the answer before the question is even asked. Science can correct wrong assumptions. However, as you say, when assumptions are wrong (i.e. religious assumptions) the results are bad when you base morality on religious edicts alone. Religion is unyielding in its beliefs and there is no room for change or correction of error. In the end it is people, society and culture, that makes moral judgements based upon their frame of reference. I would much rather those judgements be based upon the facts and evidence of reality, as opposed to judgements based upon religious edicts from primitive people with primitive understandings. I think you would also. Look how LGBT rights has struggled against religious dogma.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Science is continually testing, probing and revising assumptions based upon evidence and facts. Science asks questions and finds answers based upon the evidence of reality. Religion presupposes the answer before the question is even asked. Science can correct wrong assumptions. However, as you say, when assumptions are wrong (i.e. religious assumptions) the results are bad when you base morality on religious edicts alone. Religion is unyielding in its beliefs and there is no room for change or correction of error. In the end it is people, society and culture, that makes moral judgements based upon their frame of reference. I would much rather those judgements be based upon the facts and evidence of reality, as opposed to judgements based upon religious edicts from primitive people with primitive understandings. I think you would also. Look how LGBT rights has struggled against religious dogma.
Do you think it's a good idea for moral values to be subject to constant revision without limitation, or are there some values that should remain unchanged?
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

The same could be said about relgion and the Inquisition.

I wasn't really asking the question you answered. What I asked is give me an example of an area previously defined by science that has been refuted and attributed to god.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Do you think it's a good idea for moral values to be subject to constant revision without limitation, or are there some values that should remain unchanged?
Everything should be subject to review in light of better information. In fact religious moral dogma has had to yield in the face of cultural enlightenment of societies.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

I wasn't really asking the question you answered. What I asked is give me an example of an area previously defined by science that has been refuted and attributed to god.
I don't know what you mean by "refuting an area." I can tell you that morality is historically an area that has been defined by religion; attempts to define it scientifically have been unsuccessful and often catastrophically fatal, especially with advances in technology. The 20th century is a lesson on this point, to which the Inquisition can hardly hold a candle in terms of human suffering.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Everything should be subject to review in light of better information. In fact religious moral dogma has had to yield in the face of cultural enlightenment of societies.
Enlightenment as defined by whom or what? If science appears to justify genocide, as the Germans once believed it did, should dogma yield to science?
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

there appears to be several things about scripture that makes 47 uncomfortable, just like it does you.

Why do you each suppose that is?
Because I know that those things do not conform with the evidence of reality. I used to believe just like you, and when I first came to grips with facing reality, I was uncomfortable with the fact of what I was raised to believe was wrong and false. i tried every way I knew to reconcile scripture with reality, until I accepted the two are irreconcilable. Religions around the world today are the last vestiges of primitive beliefs rooted in primitive religious understandings of primitive people. Religion has served its purpose for making sense of a world for which people had limited understandings. Through knowledge, we've grown beyond those understandings, which creates cognitive dissonance.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Enlightenment as defined by whom or what? If science appears to justify genocide, as the Germans once believed it did, should dogma yield to science?
Knowledge, as revealed by science, and religion are each subject to cultural interpretation and justification. There were many Germans who believed extermination of the Jews,along with others, was justified upon religious grounds. I would much rather cultures and societies take a humanistic approach, in light of scientific knowledge, in determining what causes harm to others and equitable laws, as opposed to making those determinations from religious edicts. Do you not agree?
Waco1947
Outside of the Bible there is no scientific community that needs a god to explain tectonics or how a god has power over them to influence moral behavior or to save certain people and let millions die.
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Outside of the Bible there is no scientific community that needs a god to explain tectonics or how a god has power over them to influence moral behavior or to save certain people and let millions die.
Seriously, go read the Book of Job again. Then how about Hosea, then Ruth.

There is great wisdom and compassion that you seem to be missing in your opinion.
Keyser Soze
Love is in Control

D Summer

Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Knowledge, as revealed by science, and religion are each subject to cultural interpretation and justification. There were many Germans who believed extermination of the Jews,along with others, was justified upon religious grounds. I would much rather cultures and societies take a humanistic approach, in light of scientific knowledge, in determining what causes harm to others and equitable laws, as opposed to making those determinations from religious edicts. Do you not agree?
Like Eugenics?
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

There is great wisdom and compassion that you seem to be missing in your opinion.
All Bible references that indicate circular thinking. All ancient scriptures have stories of powerful gods. Not a put down on our God because God is different in respects
1) God cares for us and is present to us (see Hesus)
2). God show us how to live life abu dangly I'm loving service to others
Tectonicplates are ...well....amoral. Our God is not.
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

All Bible references that indicate circular thinking. All ancient scriptures have stories of powerful gods. Not a put down on our God because God is different in respects
Now I know you are no minister, Waco. No ordained pastor would be so quick to dismiss Scripture in favor of secular arrogance.
LIB,MR BEARS
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Now I know you are no minister, Waco. No ordained pastor would be so quick to dismiss Scripture in favor of secular arrogance.
If he is a minister, he is one that we were warned about.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

The construction of a morality based on humanism is the major philosophical problem since the Enlightenment, and especially since the Second World War. To a great extent it was the failure of this project that led to postmodernism. As the secular critic Tony Davies observed, "It should no longer be possible to formulate phrases like 'the destiny of man' or the 'triumph of human reason' without an instant consciousness of the folly and brutality they drag behind them...it is almost impossible to think of a crime that has not been committed in the name of human reason." In practice, humanism has served the interests of particular races, classes, and other interest groups at least as much as religion did. I would choose religion over humanism if only because religion has done less harm to humanity than such humanistic and scientistic philosophies as Marxism and Nazism.

That being said, let's assume for the sake of argument that there is an ideal form of humanism which, if correctly understood and applied, would allow human beings to thrive more fully than religion. This brings us to the other big problem with humanism: why is human thriving a good thing, and how do you know? Some people actually believe the universe would be a better place if humanity were extinct. How do you prove them wrong? And when I say prove, I mean it exactly the way you mean it. I mean prove it empirically, without reference to any value judgments borrowed from religion or metaphysics.

That's the challenge I put to you. If you can meet it, you'll be widely regarded as the greatest philosophical genius of modern times.
Sam Lowry
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

I don't know what you mean by "refuting an area." I can tell you that morality is historically an area that has been defined by religion; attempts to define it scientifically have been unsuccessful and often catastrophically fatal, especially with advances in technology. The 20th century is a lesson on this point, to which the Inquisition can hardly hold a candle in terms of human suffering.
I would hate to see what the Inquisition could do with 20th or 21st century technology, wouldn't you? Over the centuries, in terms of human suffering there has been every bit as much catastrophically fatal applications in the name of religion and religious morals.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Like Eugenics?
It depends upon how eugenics is applied, doesn't it?
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

I would hate to see what the Inquisition could do with 20th or 21st century technology, wouldn't you? Over the centuries, in terms of human suffering there has been every bit as much catastrophically fatal applications in the name of religion and religious morals.
Giving modern technology to the Inquisition would make little difference because the Inquisition never had mass extermination as a goal. That's the crucial difference between it and some of the major humanistic philosophies.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

The construction of a morality based on humanism is the major philosophical problem since the Enlightenment, and especially since the Second World War. To a great extent it was the failure of this project that led to postmodernism. As the secular critic Tony Davies observed, "It should no longer be possible to formulate phrases like 'the destiny of man' or the 'triumph of human reason' without an instant consciousness of the folly and brutality they drag behind them...it is almost impossible to think of a crime that has not been committed in the name of human reason." In practice, humanism has served the interests of particular races, classes, and other interest groups at least as much as religion did. I would choose religion over humanism if only because religion has done less harm to humanity than such humanistic and scientistic philosophies as Marxism and Nazism.

That being said, let's assume for the sake of argument that there is an ideal form of humanism which, if correctly understood and applied, would allow human beings to thrive more fully than religion. This brings us to the other big problem with humanism: why is human thriving a good thing, and how do you know? Some people actually believe the universe would be a better place if humanity were extinct. How do you prove them wrong? And when I say prove, I mean it exactly the way you mean it. I mean prove it empirically, without reference to any value judgments borrowed from religion or metaphysics.

That's the challenge I put to you. If you can meet it, you'll be widely regarded as the greatest philosophical genius of modern times.
By the same token, you can say the same of religion. You cannot think of a crime that has not been committed in the name of human reason. Marxism and Nazism are no more a scientific philosophy than they are religions.

Whether human thriving is a good thing, in terms of other species and humanity itself, is something that can be determined and proven empirically, which is something religion cannot do. It can give you a perspective from which to make decisions to mitigate harm, which again is something religion cannot do. It may give a basis for determining, as you suggest, that the universe (or our planet) would be a better place in terms of other life if humans were extinct. And why would you want to prove something wrong where evidence says otherwise? Armed with that knowledge, the human species can take steps to ameliorate and enhance the situation. Again, this is not something that religion would do. Religion has no monopoly over morality.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

By the same token, you can say the same of religion. You cannot think of a crime that has not been committed in the name of human reason. Marxism and Nazism are no more a scientific philosophy than they are religions.

Whether human thriving is a good thing, in terms of other species and humanity itself, is something that can be determined and proven empirically, which is something religion cannot do. It can give you a perspective from which to make decisions to mitigate harm, which again is something religion cannot do. It may give a basis for determining, as you suggest, that the universe (or our planet) would be a better place in terms of other life if humans were extinct. And why would you want to prove something wrong where evidence says otherwise? Armed with that knowledge, the human species can take steps to ameliorate and enhance the situation. Again, this is not something that religion would do. Religion has no monopoly over morality.
You're not answering the question. You say the value of human thriving can be proven empirically, but you don't show the proof.

Marxism and Nazism are indeed functional religions, as are all varieties of humanism and scientism. That's very much my point.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Like Eugenics?
It depends upon how eugenics is applied, doesn't it?
Hell. No.

TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

Giving modern technology to the Inquisition would make little difference because the Inquisition never had mass extermination as a goal. That's the crucial difference between it and some of the major humanistic philosophies.
What humanistic philosophy had mass extermination as a goal? Those were corrupt political ideologies that led to mass exterminations. Those corrupt political ideologies are contrary to the tenets of humanism. I don't think you understand humanism. Humanism embraces the dignity of the human being and seeks to diminish human suffering. Gott Mit Uns was stamped above the Swastika.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

quash said:

Quote:

Sam Lowry said:

You're not answering the question. You say the value of human thriving can be proven empirically, but you don't show the proof.

Marxism and Nazism are indeed functional religions, as are all varieties of humanism and scientism. That's very much my point.
Certainly the value of human thriving and the impact of humans on other species as a hypothesis can be observed, tested, analyzed, and evaluated empirically. No proof is needed.

Your point doesn't make sense. Marxism and Nazism are political ideologies. To conflate them with religion or humanism requires a very loose definition the two. I wouldn't consider Nazism a Christian endeavor even though 67% were protestants and 33% were Catholics in Germany in 1933. That's not to say the Nazi regime didn't try to influence or manipulate religion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.