Is God in control? 2nd Attempt

59,192 Views | 605 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Under NOMA the statement should read, "In the search for empirical truth, science is the best tool we have." Moral and spiritual truths may be objective but are not empirical.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Waco "What does your moral God bring to the table?"
Sam: "Morals"
Hmmm?
Then?
"Sam,?Do you see a difference between just wanting to be moral and, through action, being moral?

"Sam,?would your answer beAbsolutely!"

Me:" Then who is actually moral? Is it the person who wants to help his neighbor because he believes it is right and yet does not help, or is it the one who wants to help his neighbor and actually does it?
And where is God?

Me, Fred, It is the one who loves his neighbor with real deeds that is the moral person?
As you said, science is a tool. Science-based morality makes just as much sense as socket wrench-based morality. It's a meaningless expression.

No, it's not. The quality of the tool is a matter of great importance. A precision tool works better yhan a blunt instrument. You make better moral choices with better evidence.
A precision tool does not always work better than a blunt instrument. That's why we have blunt instruments.

No doubt. But in the search for objective truth science is thr best tool we have. If I'm dying from an infection I want antibiotics, not prayer.
"Objective truth" depends on an objective source, Ergo, a human in a lab coat is no more trustworthy than a human in a cassock. In both cases you would do well to listen with discernment.

The guy in a cassock might be useful if he's Jesuit.
What if it's Doctor Strange?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
Sam Lowry said:

Under NOMA the statement should read, "In the search for empirical truth, science is the best tool we have." Moral and spiritual truths may be objective but are not empirical.

No, I'll stick with objective truth.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

God's Do you believe it? Oldbear
What does it mean to you?
Is God in control of physics?

I am trying to understand how people arrive at this faith statement.
I am not asking because I missed it in seminary but I am asking how disciples on this forum came to believe it.
1) Is God in control of events,
2) relationships
3) physics (physical forces - gravity, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc)
Waco, that has been answered many times.

You either believe Scripture, or you do not.

Focusing just on Jesus, if He really did walk on water, change water into wine, heal the blind and lame and raise the dead, then absolutely God controls physics and all natural laws.

If you deny Scripture, then you are no Christian and therefore have much bigger problems than losing an argument here.
I'm not looking for the "right answer," I am looking for your answer. Does God control physics? If so, how do you know?
First, why don't you want to know what is right?((((((((((((((((( Because we are losing generation to faith because insist in fairy tales I. A miracle sense. I believe in the stories from a faith sense - God interacting in a real worl relationship. Not a fairy tale world. The scripture is truth about faith not physics. You may believe otherwise and people respond. Good on you. I find people most interested in faith and discipship not super natural powers))))))))))))

Second, I have made my answer plain. If you didn't read it, that would only be because you ignored it.(((((((((((((( My apologies. Yes you have))))))))))))

Denying Scripture makes sense for an atheist, but is anathema for an ordained minister.
I don't deny scripture. I deny that the Bible is dependent on a God who moves tectonic plates. To be a Christian one must accept the Bible as the word of God On faith not phuysics. I don't scripture. I deny your interpretation of the God of your scripture. Your scripture is only doctrine. My scripture lives out life in fsith, love and and discipleship ))))))))))))

Oldbear read some Tillich, H Richard Niebuhr and Schubert Ogden. Lordy there's a world of theology that just don't know. That's onnyou you not me. I read orthodox Christianity and it wanting in reality.
Great if you live it but it does not I have to
Oldbear83
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

"Stick with"? If you do, it would more like "start looking for".
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

God's Do you believe it? Oldbear
What does it mean to you?
Is God in control of physics?

I am trying to understand how people arrive at this faith statement.
I am not asking because I missed it in seminary but I am asking how disciples on this forum came to believe it.
1) Is God in control of events,
2) relationships
3) physics (physical forces - gravity, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc)
Waco, that has been answered many times.

You either believe Scripture, or you do not.

Focusing just on Jesus, if He really did walk on water, change water into wine, heal the blind and lame and raise the dead, then absolutely God controls physics and all natural laws.

If you deny Scripture, then you are no Christian and therefore have much bigger problems than losing an argument here.
I'm not looking for the "right answer," I am looking for your answer. Does God control physics? If so, how do you know?
First, why don't you want to know what is right?((((((((((((((((( Because we are losing generation to faith because insist in fairy tales I. A miracle sense. I believe in the stories from a faith sense - God interacting in a real worl relationship. Not a fairy tale world. The scripture is truth about faith not physics. You may believe otherwise and people respond. Good on you. I find people most interested in faith and discipship not super natural powers))))))))))))

Second, I have made my answer plain. If you didn't read it, that would only be because you ignored it.(((((((((((((( My apologies. Yes you have))))))))))))

Denying Scripture makes sense for an atheist, but is anathema for an ordained minister.
I don't deny scripture. I deny that the Bible is dependent on a God who moves tectonic plates. To be a Christian one must accept the Bible as the word of God On faith not phuysics. I don't scripture. I deny your interpretation of the God of your scripture. Your scripture is only doctrine. My scripture lives out life in fsith, love and and discipleship ))))))))))))

Oldbear read some Tillich, H Richard Niebuhr and Schubert Ogden. Lordy there's a world of theology that just don't know. That's onnyou you not me. I read orthodox Christianity and it wanting in reality.
Great if you live it but it does not I have to
Read Scripture, Waco. Not just what some SJW says is relevant,

All of it.

Jesus quoted the Old Testament all the time. You have never stopped to consider why.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

So you're trying to privilege one magisterium over the other by claiming that only one can have access to objective truth. That's always where the trouble starts.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

It started in the Enlightenment.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

It started in the Enlightenment.
It started with Plato

TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Hmmm?
Then?
"Sam,?Do you see a difference between just wanting to be moral and, through action, being moral?

Me:" Then who is actually moral? Is it the person who wants to help his neighbor because he believes it is right and yet does not help, or is it the one who wants to help his neighbor and actually does it?
And where is God?

Me, Fred, It is the one who loves his neighbor with real deeds that is the moral person?
As you said, science is a tool. Science-based morality makes just as much sense as socket wrench-based morality. It's a meaningless expression.

No, it's not. The quality of the tool is a matter of great importance. A precision tool works better yhan a blunt instrument. You make better moral choices with better evidence.
A precision tool does not always work better than a blunt instrument. That's why we have blunt instruments.

No doubt. But in the search for objective truth science is thr best tool we have. If I'm dying from an infection I want antibiotics, not prayer.
Then you'd better pray the doctor is a good Catholic and not a Malthusian.

Praying for a doctor is about as useful as praying for healing. I choose a doctor on his medical competence, not where he goes on Sundays.
Dr. Mengele was eminently qualified and competent.
His work, unfortunately, was way more effective than prayer. I imagine all of the people he worked on were praying for different results to no avail. BTW - Mengele was a Catholic.
Please. Mengele was no Catholic. I actually thought about choosing a different example on the remote chance that someone would try to make something of his religious upbringing, but then I was like, "Nah...there's no way anyone would reach that far."

More to the point, his efforts were ultimately less effective. Prayer gave people the courage to shelter his potential victims and the moral sense to reject his worldview. Like other "science-based" ideologies, it was destined to survive only as an example of hubris and failure.
You can't rewrite history. Mengele was Catholic. "More to the point" there is no evidence his efforts were less effective due to prayer. By all appearances his efforts were only impeded by his lack of resources, and the efforts he did undertake were unconscionable. Where is the efficacy of prayer in that. I have no doubt there were a lot of cries and prayers to God by his victims. Surely Mengele's work is a monument to the failure of prayer. You're defense of prayer is putting yourself in the position minimalizing the consequences of Mengele, which I don't think you intend.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Hmmm?
Then?

And where is God?

Praying for a doctor is about as useful as praying for healing. I choose a doctor on his medical competence, not where he goes on Sundays.
His work, unfortunately, was way more effective than prayer. I imagine all of the people he worked on were praying for different results to no avail. BTW - Mengele was a Catholic.
Please. Mengele was no Catholic. I actually thought about choosing a different example on the remote chance that someone would try to make something of his religious upbringing, but then I was like, "Nah...there's no way anyone would reach that far."

More to the point, his efforts were ultimately less effective. Prayer gave people the courage to shelter his potential victims and the moral sense to reject his worldview. Like other "science-based" ideologies, it was destined to survive only as an example of hubris and failure.
You can't rewrite history. Mengele was Catholic. "More to the point" there is no evidence his efforts were less effective due to prayer. By all appearances his efforts were only impeded by his lack of resources, and the efforts he did undertake were unconscionable. Where is the efficacy of prayer in that. I have no doubt there were a lot of cries and prayers to God by his victims. Surely Mengele's work is a monument to the failure of prayer. You're defense of prayer is putting yourself in the position minimalizing the consequences of Mengele, which I don't think you intend.
I'll be here when you're ready to talk seriously. Your doubling down on the Catholic thing tells me it may be a while. Furthermore, we've yet to establish scientifically that there was anything wrong with Mengele's actions. So we're getting ahead of ourselves debating their effectiveness.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Some of the same people that are quick to say OU's QB is NOT a homophobic person because he made a lame statement when he was 14 or 15. Will take the opposite stance that a person is Catholic or Lutheran as an adult be cause they were as a child.

TS I believe has said before that he was raised in the church but he doesn't claim it now. Different rules for different folks I guess.
Mengele made his position clear, even stating in his journal that he "had to liberate Germanic history from Roman and Catholic influences."
If true, that disqualifies him as a Catholic under Catholic doctrine?
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Some of the same people that are quick to say OU's QB is NOT a homophobic person because he made a lame statement when he was 14 or 15. Will take the opposite stance that a person is Catholic or Lutheran as an adult be cause they were as a child.

TS I believe has said before that he was raised in the church but he doesn't claim it now. Different rules for different folks I guess.
Mengele made his position clear, even stating in his journal that he "had to liberate Germanic history from Roman and Catholic influences."
Being vehemently anti-Catholic pretty much disqualifies you from being Catholic, yes.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Hmmm?
Then?

And where is God?

I'll be here when you're ready to talk seriously. Your doubling down on the Catholic thing tells me it may be a while. Furthermore, we've yet to establish scientifically that there was anything wrong with Mengele's actions. So we're getting ahead of ourselves debating their effectiveness.
Humanistic determination based upon scientifically derived objective truth. How do you establish with religion there was anything wrong with Mengele's actions?
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Hmmm?
Then?

And where is God?

Humanistic determination based upon scientifically derived objective truth. How do you establish with religion there was anything wrong with Mengele's actions?
The same way you establish it with humanism -- facts interpreted through faith. We're just calliing it different things.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TS, you were raised in a family of faith yet you claim there is no God. On the religious aspect only, substitute yourself for Hitler or M*****. How does your argument play now?
Waco1947
I have read "all of it." But cosmology and physics don't change OT to NT. You pile up a million examples in the Bible but all rest a questionable cosmology. A powerful being controlling all. Heck that's true of all ancient religious claims. Claims are not proof.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

I have read "all of it." But cosmology and physics don't change OT to NT. You pile up a million examples in the Bible but all rest a questionable cosmology. A powerful being controlling all. Heck that's true of all ancient religious claims. Claims are not proof.
^^ Confirms Waco is not a Christian ^^^
Coke Bear
Waco1947 said:

With all due respect, I'm confused by your theology, philosophy, logic and reason.

Do you believe that God, who is outside of Time and Space, created the universe Ex nihilo is NOT omnipotent (All Powerful) enough to affect the laws of physics or do you argue that he does NOT affect the laws of physics?
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Because?

It only confirms that you think you are the final judge.
Pro Tip. You are not.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Because?

It only confirms that you think you are the final judge.
Pro Tip. You are not.
Nope, you cannot reject God's word yet claim to be God's servant.

Not my rules, so getting mad at me won't change anything, Waco.
Waco1947
Arrogance "No not my rules. God's"
Speaking for God.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Arrogance "No not my rules. God's"
Speaking for God.
You reject God's word in Scripture, Waco.

That is where the arrogance come in.

I believe and obey. You sneer and defy, to the point that you pretend God will condone the death of babies, will countenance, even bless taking His name in vain.

Seriously, God help you, son.
Waco1947
God is love is rejecting God's word? Please say more?
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

God is love is rejecting God's word? Please say more?
Scripture is God speaking to us. You, Waco, by rejecting the Word, depend on what you hear from men, and this leads you into not only error but evil.
Waco1947
No proof. Just s biased witness which truenof all religions. Why the Christian myth and not Toltecs,
There is not independent source as to God's all powerful abilities. Just the Bible andvits bissed and to refer to it proof is circular reasoning. Our faith is finally not dependent on an all powerful ZHod but on a God who loves us us. That's my premise. Tell me I am wrong.
Coke Bear
Waco1947 said:

There is not independent source as to God's all powerful abilities.
How do you explain the origins of the universe?

How do you know that God is Love?

I stated in an earlier post that I don't understand your logic, etc.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

No proof. Just s biased witness which truenof all religions. Why the Christian myth and not Toltecs,
There is not independent source as to God's all powerful abilities. Just the Bible andvits bissed and to refer to it proof is circular reasoning. Our faith is finally not dependent on an all powerful ZHod but on a God who loves us us. That's my premise. Tell me I am wrong.
What your post makes clear, Waco, is that you have rejected Christianity. Yes, you keep insisting how great a follower of Jesus you are, but your context is pure SJW. That is, you pervert the Gospel to a political platform, and have repeatedly denied Scripture when it conflicts with what you want to do.

All people make choices, so if someone prefers the Toltecs to Christ that is their decision. But they may not continue to pretend to be a follower of Christ if they reject Scripture. Someone is welcome to model their life after Hitchens or Crowley if they so decide, but they may not also claim to be in fellowship with the Christ.

You keep falling back on 'God is Love', which is easy since no one disagrees with that statement. But you never think through how that love manifests. A good father loves his children, but will teach them, sometimes strictly, against criminal behavior and self-destructive behavior. A good father loves his children but will use discipline when they do wrong.

Abortion is morally indefensible.

Demanding money from the person who earned it, to give to someone who did not earn it, is stealing.

If you want to be Christian, you must follow the Christ of the Bible. To alter Christ's teachings is blasphemy.

You are wrong when you deny these truths, Waco. And I tell you this as a brother who sees you walking a deadly road.
LIB,MR BEARS
"God is love". I talk about love. Therefore, I'm a Christian.

US currency has pictures of Presidents. I have a picture of a President. Therefore, it is currency.

47 logic. Flawed logic. False teaching. Counterfeit
Waco1947
I am not a "great" follower of Jesus - I am a disciple like you who believes God is love and is present because the Bible tells me so and who believes the Great Commandment to love God, neighbor and self because the Bible tells me so.
I don't believe God moves tectonic plates. Nature simply happens and God goes with us through it. God will not deny me entrancevinto Gid's Eternal Kingdom based on your a man made doctrine. God will have one one question "Do love me and did you feed my sheep?"
There is No proof that moves tectonic plates but Just s biased witness which true of all religions. Why should the Christian myth be believed and not the Toltecs?
There is not independent source as to God's all powerful abilities. Just the Bible and it's biased witness and to refer to it'd proof in the Bible is circular reasoning. Our faith is finally not dependent on an all powerful God but on a God who loves us. That's my premise. Tell me I am wrong.
Coke Bear
Quote:

There is not independent source as to God's all powerful abilities. Just the Bible and it's biased witness and to refer to it'd proof in the Bible is circular reasoning. Our faith is finally not dependent on an all powerful God but on a God who loves us. That's my premise. Tell me I am wrong.
I've asked twice, in two different threads... Do you believe that your "God who love us" created the universe ex nihilo?
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

I am not a "great" follower of Jesus - I am a disciple like you who believes God is love and is present because the Bible tells me so and who believes the Great Commandment to love God, neighbor and self because the Bible tells me so.
I don't believe God moves tectonic plates. Nature simply happens and God goes with us through it. God will not deny me entrancevinto Gid's Eternal Kingdom based on your a man made doctrine. God will have one one question "Do love me and did you feed my sheep?"
There is No proof that moves tectonic plates but Just s biased witness which true of all religions. Why should the Christian myth be believed and not the Toltecs?
You refuse to answer simple questions.

Therefore, you are not honest.

You just keep repeating statements already addressed, Waco, which makes you either willfully ignorant of what is already here for your consideration, or you are maliciously ignoring anything that does not agree with your political screed.

It is, by the way, not wise to mock Scripture.
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

You just keep repeating statements already addressed, Waco, which makes you either willfully ignorant of what is already here for your consideration, or you are maliciously ignoring anything that does not agree with your political screed.

IF the question is "Is God all powerful?" The answer is no. There is no evidentiary proof that there is a power more power that natural forces. The Bible say YES GOD but it only pints tonitself as evidence. That's not proof that hearsay.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

IF the question is "Is God all powerful?" The answer is no. There is no evidentiary proof that there is a power more power that natural forces. The Bible say YES GOD but it only pints tonitself as evidence. That's not proof that hearsay.
And there it is. Waco places the creation above the Creator, and spits on Scripture while doing so.

God help you son, your evil rules you.
Polycarp
Coke Bear said:

Quote:

I've asked twice, in two different threads... Do you believe that your "God who love us" created the universe ex nihilo?

Clearly 47's answer is no. His understanding of god does not allow such an event to happen. 47 is not one can not know if God did or did not create ex nihilism. 47 clearly states that god, does not have the power to create.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.