Is God in control? 2nd Attempt

59,220 Views | 605 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sciencism is a cult. It's not to be confused with Science itself.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Is God subject to physics or not?
No.
Why?
Waco1947
Waco1947
How does a doctor express his/her moral capacity in the course of his work?
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
A true minister would know why.

Strange, that you do not, Waco.
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

I am a true minister and I know. I am asking Sam why he thinks so. It's called dialogue.
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

I am a true minister and I know. I am asking Sam why he thinks so. It's called dialogue.
God decides who is true; men boast in vain. You have referred to Matthew Chapter 24 before - remember, Waco, how many of the 'goats' were so sure they were the good guys.

I am not here to attack you, Waco, but to call you - as John the Baptist and Jeremiah before him did others like you - to candor and contrition. We are all sinners, but those who claim the pastor's mantle are held to higher account.

TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Christianity is closer to a cult by definition. Sciencism is a loose urban term and sometimes used perjoratively without a certain definition. Scientism is what I think you are really looking for, and scientism is not a a religion.
Waco1947
Is this history of religion accurate to you?
From the time humans woke up and said "I am human. I can communicate ; I can remember; I can learn; I can think; I will die;" humans saw a powerful earth and heavens - wind, sun, light, rain, earthquakes, volcanoes, droughts, floods, gravity (?).
In this dangerous world of forces they saw gods and thought that they could control these gods with
1) special knowledge (some of it science based like equinoxes)
2) , ritual (right dances, songs, movements) or
3) right sacrifices. Religion was an effort to control god.
4) Then of course there is death. We know we die so myths and rituals were developed for an "afterlife." And there gods controlled that life too
Every ancient culture had priests, rituals, notions of afterlife.
As scientific knowledge increased the power of priests decreased. People began to discover its out of our control.
God was reduced to the occasional miracle a "god of the gaps" to explains the unexplainable.
BUT then wiser humans began to re-contemplate who God might be because science was explaining away their old gods.
This new thinking began to associate "God" with love, justice, hope, morals, forgiveness. This God (who is present in all cultures but with different names) is the God that people experience and place their faith in.
BUT the old God sure is hard to let go of. HE has to be charge of everything so I can continue to manipulate him with prayers, gifts to the church, hating the right people, so I can be rich or happy or loved.
BUT God is so far above our simple understanding of love and justice and forgiveness and hope that we soon discover that God can't be manipulated. If God could be manipulated then that god is to woryhlesss.
BUT is - God is in love, in hope, in justice, in forgiveness. God is present in these forms. God showed at least us Christians that the truest form of God's presence with us is Jesus - immanuel.
Our presence to one another in love is the greatest sign of God's existence.
God is not the god of gaps but the transcendent/spiritual of the here and now and also the beyond of all human understanding. God is love beyond human ability to fully understand. It is the mystery of the cross.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
God created all things. The laws of physics hold that nothing can be created from nothing. Therefore God is not subject to the laws of physics.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
God created all things. The laws of physics hold that nothing can be created from nothing. Therefore God is not subject to the laws of physics.
So what natural laws was God created under?
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
None. He was never created.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
Then by your previous reasoning, he doesn't exist.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
By what authority do you make this declaration? I just take your word for it?
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS
47 has created his own god.

Discuss it with him
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

Genesis 1:1.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
Then by your previous reasoning, he doesn't exist.
How so? I don't think I implied that.
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
"Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipotentem, factorem caeli et terrae, visibilium omnium et invisibilium."
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Christianity is closer to a cult by definition. Sciencism is a loose urban term and sometimes used perjoratively without a certain definition. Scientism is what I think you are really looking for, and scientism is not a a religion.
Actually, there is quite a bit more empirical evidence supporting the value of Christianity, than of Sciencism (sorry you find that word discomforting, but from your posts you are certainly one of them).

And devotion to Chance as the reason for the Universe's existence is absolutely a religion, if a weak and dismal one.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?
"Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipotentem, factorem caeli et terrae, visibilium omnium et invisibilium."

. Cool you showed off. Translation please
Waco1947
quash
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Actually, there is quite a bit more empirical evidence supporting the value of Christianity, than of Sciencism (sorry you find that word discomforting, but from your posts you are certainly one of them).

And devotion to Chance as the reason for the Universe's existence is absolutely a religion, if a weak and dismal one.

I can think of some things that support the value of xtianity, one being the freedom the church finally allowed scholars that lead to the primacy of the scientific method as the means of interpreting the observable universe. But what did you have in mind?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

why Genesis 1? By what authority is the Bible is the final authority on physics creation?
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Lots of noise here.

Anyone want to discuss the topic?
Waco1947
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

why Genesis 1? By what authority is the Bible is the final authority on physics creation?
I will ask again
Waco1947
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

I will ask again

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

That's all.

"Ask again" all you want you pompous *******. I was on a flight home. Some of us work for a living.
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

I will ask again

That's all.

"Ask again" all you want you pompous *******. I was on a flight home. Some of us work for a living.

I believe I am asking why The God of Genesis and not the Hero Twins of the Navajos or Quetzalcoatl of the Aztecs or Marduk of the Babylonians. Why is our creation story more authoritative than theirs?
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

I will ask again

That's all.

I believe I am asking why The God of Genesis and not the Hero Twins of the Navajos or Quetzalcoatl of the Aztecs or Marduk of the Babylonians. Why is our creation story more authoritative than theirs?
Just curious -when you attended seminary, what did you learn on that point?

Waco1947
I learned that Genesis was a story of faith - our relationship to God. We are God's children.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

I learned that Genesis was a story of faith - our relationship to God. We are God's children.
So do you believe the accounts in Scripture? Or do you count Man's opinion above God's word?
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

So do you believe the accounts in Scripture? Or do you count Man's opinion above God's word?
I believe that Biblical story creation is about our creation as God's children. Genesis is a faith story first and formost. Right?
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

Le sigh.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

I believe that Biblical story creation is about our creation as God's children. Genesis is a faith story first and formost. Right?
That's all you see there?

Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

Le sigh.
Bless your heart. I believe in the one God all powerful of heaven and earth visible and invisible. Now why the hell do you mean. It's a credo (opinion)
Osodecentx
http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Latin&to=English
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

Le sigh.
Bless your heart. I believe in the one God all powerful of heaven and earth visible and invisible. Now why the hell do you mean. It's a credo (opinion)
You asked whether you should take my word for it. I'm saying no.
JXL
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

No.
Why?

I will ask again

That's all.

Let's compare the archaeological evidence supporting the Bible to that supporting any of those other religious writings and see if we can answer your question.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.