Why Do So Many Resist, Disrespect, Flee & Fight The Police?

30,721 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BrooksBearLives
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University said:

BylrFan said:

Canon said:

BylrFan said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

They told him 29 times to exit the vehicle. He refused. I suppose they could have tried to coax him out with a puppy. Or, alternatively, he could have complied with lawful orders after perhaps the 23rd time he was told?

Cool. He committed no crimes. Stop defending bad peace officers.

If an officer asked to search your car without a warrant, would you comply?

He drove with no visible tag. He drove for two miles after directed to stop. He refused to comply with orders stemming from those infractions. Don't change the circumstances to try and make your point. That's dishonest. Ask me about these circumstances.

this answers all your questions.

there is a tag on the car and if you're ever pulled over, you pull to a safe area (in this case, a gas station that is lit up), not right away. No infractions.
The more I watch the videos (particularly his own video) the more convinced I am that this Nazario character knew exactly what he was doing.

He was performing for a huge payday!
One of the key tenets of de-escalation is to recognize when a repeated command is not working and to try something else. Escalating is not the correct choice.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Canon
quash said:

Canon said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Canon said:

Amy Pagitt said:

I drove home every summer and Christmas break from Baylor to Kentucky. I usually left in the wee hours of the morning so it was night-driving for several hours. I was ALWAYS told by my parents to NEVER pull over on the side of the road for ANY reason in the dark, and highway driving frequently means that I could easily drive for a mile or more before getting to an exit and a well-lit gas station. It happened to me once and that's exactly what I did. You think I would have been killed for that? And, if you have a daughter or a child who is a POC, would you tell them to do any different? Honestly?

1. Your parents give terrible advice, if they told you to disobey lawful orders. Full stop.

2. There you go again with straw men. He wasn't killed. He wasn't shot. He was pepper sprayed to force him to comply with lawful orders he refused 29 times. You have repeatedly demonstrated a willingness to be dishonest in your posts.

3. Everyone is a POC. Your world view is twisted and bifurcates the world into whites vs everyone else. That's gross. Any good parent will instruct their child to follow lawful orders from the police. Only a very bad parent would advise their children otherwise.

Welp everyone. Canon solved racism!

Let's recap:

1. Everyone is colored! Only the RACISTS notice race!

2. And you HAVE TO DO WHAT THE GOVERNMENT SAYS. ALWAYS.

Racism is made up. Black people weren't hung because of their skin color, because the people who hung them ALSO had a skin color! Duh!

I bet you think Emmet Till had it coming and would be alive if he hadn't let that white girl lie about him touching her. Should have known better.

And you should always listen to the cops ALWAYS. Your safety matters less than theirs. https://www.cbsnews.com/video/serial-rapist-ex-cop-sentenced-to-263-years-in-prison/

I'd always wondered what a mentally deranged person attempting to recap a rational series of statements would look like. Now I know. Thanks for that.
I already know what your backside looks like, try addressing an argument while not running away.

Now I know what two mentally deranged people look like doing that. You lot never disappoint.
quash
Canon said:

quash said:

Canon said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Canon said:

Amy Pagitt said:

I drove home every summer and Christmas break from Baylor to Kentucky. I usually left in the wee hours of the morning so it was night-driving for several hours. I was ALWAYS told by my parents to NEVER pull over on the side of the road for ANY reason in the dark, and highway driving frequently means that I could easily drive for a mile or more before getting to an exit and a well-lit gas station. It happened to me once and that's exactly what I did. You think I would have been killed for that? And, if you have a daughter or a child who is a POC, would you tell them to do any different? Honestly?

1. Your parents give terrible advice, if they told you to disobey lawful orders. Full stop.

2. There you go again with straw men. He wasn't killed. He wasn't shot. He was pepper sprayed to force him to comply with lawful orders he refused 29 times. You have repeatedly demonstrated a willingness to be dishonest in your posts.

3. Everyone is a POC. Your world view is twisted and bifurcates the world into whites vs everyone else. That's gross. Any good parent will instruct their child to follow lawful orders from the police. Only a very bad parent would advise their children otherwise.

Welp everyone. Canon solved racism!

Let's recap:

1. Everyone is colored! Only the RACISTS notice race!

2. And you HAVE TO DO WHAT THE GOVERNMENT SAYS. ALWAYS.

Racism is made up. Black people weren't hung because of their skin color, because the people who hung them ALSO had a skin color! Duh!

I bet you think Emmet Till had it coming and would be alive if he hadn't let that white girl lie about him touching her. Should have known better.

And you should always listen to the cops ALWAYS. Your safety matters less than theirs. https://www.cbsnews.com/video/serial-rapist-ex-cop-sentenced-to-263-years-in-prison/

I'd always wondered what a mentally deranged person attempting to recap a rational series of statements would look like. Now I know. Thanks for that.
I already know what your backside looks like, try addressing an argument while not running away.

Now I know what two mentally deranged people look like doing that. You lot never disappoint.
Proud of your backside are ya?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Waco1947
Thee University said:

Seriously. Chris Rock got it right in his video below:

Why do so many folks just have to be belligerent, bowed up, combative and dis respective?

Disturbing bodycam video shows a 13-year-old boy appearing to drop a handgun and begin raising his hands less than a second before a Chicago police officer shoots and kills him Adam Toledo died.
Canada2017
Amy Pagitt said:

Son # 2 had an 'attitude' in high school and during his first 2 years in college.

Was constantly getting pulled over by the Fort Collins police who obviously had him on their **** list.

Who was responsible for my son's police 'problem' ? HE WAS.

Finally pulled down 2 months of week enders in a halfway house. Lost his drivers license for a year.

When he dared ***** about it to me .....I chewed him out .

Son # 2 decided he didn't LIKE the halfway house. Finally decided to wise up.

He is a millionaire now. Seriously considering retirement at 35 . If I was him....I sure as hell would.

YOU DONT COP AN ATTITUDE WITH POLICE . YOU DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DIRECTED TO DO.

Amy Pagitt
Are you okay? After a week of being called an illogical idiot, I realize that this is just SOP for this board, but you seem particularly erratic.

Where did I mention "copping an attitude" with police? (Though, I would remiss to say it's not something I've ever done, because I certainly have and, shockingly, I'm still alive! And I wasn't even arrested. I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with what I look like!)

Also, to the person who thinks my parents gave me terrible advice: it has been COMMON advice passed on to MANY women. And I can guarantee you that parents of non-white children will tell their children the same thing. Honestly, with as many police killings there are, why wouldn't ANYONE tell someone they love to make sure they're in a well-lit, populated place before they have an interaction with police these days?

Also, the policeman who pulled me over when I was driving home to Kentucky WAY BACK in the mid-2000s was completely understanding and unsurprised by my choice to drive to a gas station. It's almost like it's a common thing people (especially women) do on dark highways at night. Weird.
Canada2017
Amy Pagitt said:

Are you okay? After a week of being called an illogical idiot, I realize that this is just SOP for this board, but you seem particularly erratic.

Where did I mention "copping an attitude" with police? (Though, I would remiss to say it's not something I've ever done, because I certainly have and, shockingly, I'm still alive! And I wasn't even arrested. I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with what I look like!)

Also, to the person who thinks my parents gave me terrible advice: it has been COMMON advice passed on to MANY women. And I can guarantee you that parents of non-white children will tell their children the same thing. Honestly, with as many police killings there are, why wouldn't ANYONE tell someone they love to make sure they're in a well-lit, populated place before they have an interaction with police these days?

Also, the policeman who pulled me over when I was driving home to Kentucky WAY BACK in the mid-2000s was completely understanding and unsurprised by my choice to drive to a gas station. It's almost like it's a common thing people (especially women) do on dark highways at night. Weird.
I don't recall calling you an 'illogical idiot'....but perpetual victimhood seems to be a part of your M O.

Go to East St Louis , South Oak Cliff, or anywhere in Oakland and do a few 'ride alongs' with the local police.

Ask for the night shift.

Might develop a real world perspective not readily found in the bubble of a private university .
Amy Pagitt
I have been called illogical, I have been called dumb, I have been called a virtue signaler, I have been accused of misunderstanding the Bible.

Y'all are WAY too literal (which is weird, especially in light of how you read the Bible).

Additionally, I'm not making up "false quotes." I understand social media may be difficult for some of you to grasp, but sometimes we use the quotation marks to succinctly boil down a long, meandering post seasoned with a bunch of big words that are employed to make the poster feel significant and smart! because, you know, brevity is crucial on twitter. (Which is also how I'm able to rack up alllllllllll those tweets while you guys write your tirades over here.
Canada2017
Amy Pagitt said:

I have been called illogical, I have been called dumb, I have been called a virtue signaler, I have been accused of misunderstanding the Bible.

Y'all are WAY too literal (which is weird, especially in light of how you read the Bible).

Additionally, I'm not making up "false quotes." I understand social media may be difficult for some of you to grasp, but sometimes we use the quotation marks to succinctly boil down a long, meandering post seasoned with a bunch of big words that are employed to make the poster feel significant and smart! because, you know, brevity is crucial on twitter. (Which is also how I'm able to rack up alllllllllll those tweets while you guys write your tirades over here.
More examples how you embrace victimhood and need to take a break from social media.

Ride alongs with cops are very educational . I've done a few. Enough to know I wouldn't take the job for 4 times the current salaries .

If that is too ' literal ' for you, if you already 'know it all' merely from your twitter feed....your cloistered private school experience failed you .

Canon
Amy Pagitt said:

I'm sure you've been called Amy, as well. It turns out, you tell others how to address you by what you choose to advertise. In reference to the above, based on the absurd content of your posts, it would seem your new monikers are not inaccurate. It's a pity they didn't include some comment on your consistent dishonesty and ubiquitous use of straw men, though.
Baylor3216
Forest Bueller_bf said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

My question is, what warranted the right to shoot the guy?

I've had my share of arguments on this forum to realize that the majority of white people, cops included, see blacks more aggressively than whites, no matter what.

i agree, he shouldn't have fled, but they were in no danger.
Zero right to shoot the guy, nothing warranted his shooting. Tazer on the other hand would have been ok.

I'm sure the 463 white guys killed by police last year would disagree with your assessment of police points of view. You just will never hear that point of view.

The viewpoint you hear from most white folks when a white guy resisting is killed, unless he is family, is generally "play stupid games, win stupid prize" that isn't my point of view, but it is very common because I've heard it often.

Yep. Those peeps stories been canceled

Waco1947
Have you done a ride along?
Thee University
Where have all of these sad, apologists for blatant crime, mayhem, rioting, looting come from?

What happened to the law abiding folks that knew right from wrong, obeyed the laws and authority?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Have you done a ride along?
yes
Waco1947
Thee University said:

Where have all of these sad, apologists for blatant crime, mayhem, rioting, looting come from?

What happened to the law abiding folks that knew right from wrong, obeyed the laws and authority?
Was there ever that time?
Waco1947
How did you conduct your study, and what did you find?

I looked at traffic stops between 2005 and 2014 in Florida, because Florida has such comprehensive public records law. I looked at the incidents that resulted in violence and contacted law enforcement agencies to figure out what generally went down during each of these incidents. What I ended up finding was that the danger narrative about traffic stops that is commonly perpetuated in courts and law enforcement circles isn't supported by empirical research. What I found is that overall, violence against officers during traffic stops was fairly infrequent and the incidents that did happen were generally low-risk and didn't involve weapons.

Using my most conservative estimates, I found that the rate for felonious killing of an officer during routine traffic stops was 1 in every 6.5 million stops. The rate for an assault resulting in serious injury to an officer was 1 in every 361,111 stops. The rate for assault against an officer, whether it results in injury or not, was 1 in every 6,959 stops. The least conservative estimates suggest that the rates are much less: 1 in every 27.6 million stops for a killing, 1 in every 1.53 million stops involving an assault that results in serious injury to an officer, and 1 in every 29,550 stops for an assault against an officer, whether it resulted in officer injury or not.
William Blair - Slate
D. C. Bear
Don't think I have commented on this thread, but would point out that it starts with an unproven assumption by asking why "so many" flee from police etc. I suspect that "so many" don't flee police etc. we just see the ones that do, and that influences our perception.
Canada2017
D. C. Bear said:

Don't think I have commented on this thread, but would point out that it starts with an unproven assumption by asking why "so many" flee from police etc. I suspect that "so many" don't flee police etc. we just see the ones that do, and that influences our perception.
Good point .
quash
D. C. Bear said:

If we cut back on the ridiculous laws that police have to enforce, that multiply both their contact with citizens and the frustration of those citizens when their freedoms are infringed, we could get criminal justice reform that meant something.

Start by ending the drug war we continue to lose.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

If we cut back on the ridiculous laws that police have to enforce, that multiply both their contact with citizens and the frustration of those citizens when their freedoms are infringed, we could get criminal justice reform that meant something.

The hundreds of thousands of deaths in our country from the opioid crisis in recent years should be a pretty good indicator that legalizing all dangerous drugs is probably not a good idea. Just my opinion.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

The hundreds of thousands of deaths in our country from the opioid crisis in recent years should be a pretty good indicator that legalizing all dangerous drugs is probably not a good idea. Just my opinion.
Of the hundreds of thousands mentally ill individuals scratching a pathetic existence on the streets..........a significant percentage were initially brain damaged by heroin. meth or crack use.

But of course lets sound 'cool' and advocate the widespread availability of such narcotics.

Gotta luv the internet .
Buddha Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

A lot of these overdoses are started by addiction to prescription drugs. Once again, strictly an American problem. Stop advertisements of drugs on television altogether.

Decriminalizing small amounts of drugs (not prescription) is a step in the right direction. Invest in treatment, not prisons. Make treatment the sentence. It's worked for Portugal and the Netherlands. Go after the dealers, not the addicts. Penalize pharmaceuticals just as we did for oxycontin.
Canon
Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Of the hundreds of thousands mentally ill individuals scratching a pathetic existence on the streets..........a significant percentage were initially brain damaged by heroin. meth or crack use.

But of course lets sound 'cool' and advocate the widespread availability of such narcotics.

Gotta luv the internet .

I don't think a discussion should be a nonstarter. From a public policy perspective, the cons are certainly centered around those who would make themselves burdens on society via unchecked addiction. That is unarguably a major problem. However, the pro side removes a very significant (maybe the most significant) nexus around which organized crime and gangs coalesce. With no illegal market to profit from, the need for private enforcement of illegal contracts (drug sales, prostitution, etc) dries up.

Purely from a public policy point of view, it would be valuable to try and calculate the ultimate outcome differences of the two policies. We have several states or cities that may offer us test cases to analyze over the next several years, the best data coming from those that legalized vs simply stopping prosecution of existing laws.
Canada2017
Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gotta luv the internet .

I don't think a discussion should be a nonstarter. From a public policy perspective, the cons are certainly centered around those who would make themselves burdens on society via unchecked addiction. That is unarguably a major problem. However, the pro side removes a very significant (maybe the most significant) nexus around which organized crime and gangs coalesce. With no illegal market to profit from, the need for private enforcement of illegal contracts (drug sales, prostitution, etc) dries up.

Purely from a public policy point of view, it would be valuable to try and calculate the ultimate outcome differences of the two policies. We have several states or cities that may offer us test cases to analyze over the next several years, the best data coming from those that legalized vs simply stopping prosecution of existing laws.
Certainly respect your comments.....only time will tell.

However I have worked in the homeless shelters, visited loved ones in mental hospitals, and attended the funerals of too many drug users.

quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

All those deaths under a restrictive government scheme. Blame the state.

Canon
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gotta luv the internet .

However I have worked in the homeless shelters, visited loved ones in mental hospitals, and attended the funerals of too many drug users.

I don't doubt it. Each death like that individually is terrible for those remaining.

I'm just curious if the deaths from illegal sales (including unregulated sales to minors), when added to those from criminal organized violence around illegal drugs, might be higher.

There's no doubt we would be trading one societal ill for another. The question is, will it be a lesser ill and will it allow regulation that ameliorates it, particularly around use by minors?
quash
Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gotta luv the internet .

I don't doubt it. Each death like that individually is terrible for those remaining.

I'm just curious if the deaths from illegal sales (including unregulated sales to minors), when added to those from criminal organized violence around illegal drugs, might be higher.

There's no doubt we would be trading one societal ill for another. The question is, will it be a lesser ill and will it allow regulation that ameliorates it, particularly around use by minors?

Portugal has shown that freedom + harm reduction lowered deaths, etc. We should try it.
Canon
quash said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gotta luv the internet .

Portugal has shown that freedom + harm reduction lowered deaths, etc. We should try it.

I'm not opposed to it, but Portugal is a small relatively homogeneous country. It's also highly religious. It's not, independently, a valid test case for the US.

I'd rather see US states interested in this, legalize classes of drugs over time to derive data. Marijuana is a good starting point. Maybe benzodiazepines without a prescription next? Then hallucinogens? Then cocaine? Then harder drugs.

The states would be a good Petri dish and valid for the US population. A progressive legalization by class could yield good data and allow a more controlled rollout.

This would be a cultural shift. It should be slow and allow for time to train the population on how to use those drugs safely. We've had that cultural training with alcohol for thousands of years. If we don't do it with other drugs, we are risking a lot of unnecessary damage.

So not no. But slow.
Thee University
quash said:

Boy howdy that's a perfect comparison. Portugal & United States.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

All those deaths under a restrictive government scheme. Blame the state.

You speak the truth here, my friend. I agree. The most peculiar thing about the opioid crisis, is nobody seems to want to blame the addicts.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
quash
Thee University said:

quash said:

Boy howdy that's a perfect comparison. Portugal & United States.
Yes, when you can't access America on Earth 2 you do the best you can.

How about addressing the harm reduction aspect? The gut punch to cartels that we've already seen just by states taking action? The states are a good lab experiment, as California has shown that if you over-regulate a product you create a black market.

I like the reduction in prison populations that would follow. The end of seizing cash when cannabis businesses can access banking. Funding of studies, not just on harm reduction but also on what can cannabis really do in healthcare. Right now it is being pitched as damn near a cure-all thanks to federal limits on cannabis-related medical research in the last forty years. Fewer people and pets getting shot because SWAT hasn't had a hostage crisis in five years so they get rolled out to arrest non-violent people with high levels of violence.

Healthier, freer citizens. Less crime. Smaller government.

Nevermind, Portugal isn't America...
Canada2017
Canon said:

quash said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gotta luv the internet .

This would be a cultural shift. It should be slow and allow for time to train the population on how to use those drugs safely.
With respect............how does anyone use heroin safely ?

Have had doctors repeatedly tell me even one hit of heroin can result in Type One Bipolar Disorder. That additional hits can result in permanent brain damage. That similar realties exist with meth and crack cocaine use.

Our country doesn't take proper care of its mentally ill now.......why would anyone believe that care would improve with hundreds of thousands of additional addicts competing for the same ( often nonexistent ) hospital space ?

Many folks don't realize.......but in many communities the de facto ' mental heath facility ' is the county jail. The few mental wards available are usually full.

Adding hundreds of thousands of more patients via the legalization of heroin, meth and crack would only expand the nightmare .

Canon
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

quash said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gotta luv the internet .

This would be a cultural shift. It should be slow and allow for time to train the population on how to use those drugs safely.

Have had doctors repeatedly tell me even one hit of heroin can result in Type One Bipolar Disorder. That additional hits can result in permanent brain damage. That similar realties exist with meth and crack cocaine use.

Our country doesn't take proper care of its mentally ill now.......why would anyone believe that care would improve with hundreds of thousands of additional addicts competing for the same ( often nonexistent ) hospital space ?

Many folks don't realize.......but in many communities the de facto ' mental heath facility ' is the county jail. The few mental wards available are usually full.

Adding hundreds of thousands of more patients via the legalization of heroin, meth and crack would only expand the nightmare .

Not sure one can do some drugs safely, per se. The training would be to minimize damage. But I can't predict what will happen. Your concerns are entirely valid.
Malbec
quash
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

quash said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gotta luv the internet .

Doctors prescribe it for a variety of conditions under the name Diamorphine. But they do it in Europe, so...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.