* * TV and Movies Thread

10,798 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boykin_spaniel said:

Saw Furiosa the other day. 7/10 for me. Some great pieces like opening chase. Thought Miller needed to shave 20ish minutes of run time and tighten the script. Didn't think the payoff was quite there for Furiousa or Dementus, especially Dementus. Would rank it as my third favorite Mad Max world film after Fury Road and Road Warrior.

Worried we might not get another one as it hasn't lit up at the box office so far. Attending the theater is expensive and I don't think the marketing or timing was great for this film. They should have done a limited theater run of Fury Road to remind people of Furiosa. Casual fans might've forgotten her and it's not Charlize Theron this go around. Plus it had Mad Max in the subtitle and he's in the film for all of a 5 second cameo. They should have released before Dune 2 or waited longer and pushed Fury Road in theaters to build the hype a bit more.
I had forgotten that Charlizes character was Furiosa. I think you are right when a Fury Road re-release before this one, would have helped the box office. It did kinda look like box offices overall sucked. Not sure if folks were burned out on the franchise or it was, as you said, bad marketing
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
boykin_spaniel
Furiosa I think led the weekend. Down across the board for a holiday. I think theater cost and the fact films are now released on streaming so fast that many probably thought "I'll just wait a couple months". My ticket and popcorn was over $20 after tax. It'll cost $20 to buy the thing in two months or so.

I think people go to one or two films a year in the theater over a 12 month period and we had Dune 2, Oppenheimer, Barbie, a Mission Impossible, and John Wick 4 all within around 12 months. Those are all cultural icons. Mad Max is somewhat but sadly Furiosa is not.

I do think marketing was bad as I know people who didn't even know Furiosa was out or forgot who Furiosa was. The average viewer can't keep track of franchises and characters beyond "Mad Max" or "Spiderman" and with the 7 year gap or so from the last film I bet the large majority of folks forgot Charlize Theron was Furiosa or even Tom Hardy was Mad Max.
Assassin
Watched the six part mini series "The Veil". Elizabeth Moss is starring. Not sure I get why she is popular.

They spent millions on this thing. Shot in Istanbul, Paris, London and several other ritzy locations.

One of the jerkiest shows you will ever see. Part one is okay, the part two is like the writer had no connection to the writers of Part one. And they insert plot twists the likes of which you will (hopefully) never see again. The Part six ending was so choppy with "reveals" that it was like it was a totally new writer.

I was bored so I watched all of it. I cant get that time back... I am depressed
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
The Acolyte - this latest Star Wars spinoff. Not sure what to make of it. In a nutshell, one bad girl ex-padawan and one good girl ex-padawan. And I think they are the same girl. But not sure. Its gonna take more than a couple of episodes to figure this one out
avensis
Disney-style Star Wars productions are multiplying and the quality is not keeping up with the quantity.
Assassin
avensis said:

Disney-style Star Wars productions are multiplying and the quality is not keeping up with the quantity.
Pretty hard to keep improving the product, for sure

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.