* * TV and Movies Thread

7,508 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We used to have one here years ago but I couldn't find it, so here goes:

"Billions" - Excellent series, the final season, final show just aired and it was great. I think it lasted seven seasons. Will miss what Bobby Axelrod will do next! Highly recommend this one. Bingeable.

"Walking Dead" - series died a few years ago, tried some of the spinoffs but not much going on there. If there is nothing else on, its a time killer.

"Foundation: - I remember reading the Asimov books as a kid, but I dont remember much I guess. It's okay but the books were better

"Outlander" - the first few seasons were kinda interesting as a female doctor goes back in time to meet the love of her life, a Scot highlander in the days the English beat them to death. Getting really corny now.

Movies

"Oppenheimer" - started watching it three times now. Never made it past the first couple of acts. Rule of thumb in a movie, get the crowd in the first ten pages. Ten mins in and it was still sitting still. I really wanted to like this flick.

"Fast 10" - isnt Diesel run out of gas yet? What a load of crapola

"Equalizer 3" - Denzel running a pretty good ship there. Enjoyable and in Italy!

On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Movie

"The Creator" - kinda Blade Runner meets Golden Child with a dash of I, Robot. Spectacular photography and locations, decent script but there was just something missing. Felt like I had seen most of it before I guess. Humans/U.S. bad guys, AI good guys.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
"The English" on Prime. Another Emily Blunt goodie. She is from England and goes to America to chase down a man who did a double dirty deed to her. A surprise ending, unless you caught the clues. About a 6 show mini-series

"Bosch Legacy" - more Bosch, which I really enjoyed, but he is a retired cop now, working as a PI in Hollywood/LA scene. A decent followup to the original.

"Jack Ryan" series on Prime. Solid play on the Jack Ryan story with the fella from Office as the star. Series just ended

TechDawgMc
Assassin said:

Movie

"The Creator" - kinda Blade Runner meets Golden Child with a dash of I, Robot. Spectacular photography and locations, decent script but there was just something missing. Felt like I had seen most of it before I guess. Humans/U.S. bad guys, AI good guys.

Saw this one. Wanted to like it but it just felt half baked. Interesting ideas but odd story.
TechDawgMc
Watched the second season of Good Omens. First season was really fun. Second season crossed the fine line they were walking into sacrilege. And frankly the ending was just absurdand setting up a third season that I won't watch.
Assassin
TechDawgMc said:

Watched the second season of Good Omens. First season was really fun. Second season crossed the fine line they were walking into sacrilege. And frankly the ending was just absurdand setting up a third season that I won't watch.
Agree on Season 1. Havent gotten around to S2 yet
Assassin
Movie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny... you've seen it before in all his Indiana Jones flicks, plus now Harrison is huffing and puffing in the stunt area. Even the stuntmen for him looked old and slow now. Okay flick if you've mowed the lawn, changed the babies, gone to Sic'em 365 and read all the posts on every page
Assassin
Lions of Sicily - TV show on Hulu. Kinda interesting take on a young entrepreneur as he goes through the rigors of early 1800's Italy.
Assassin
Battlebots - Still enjoy "Robot Fighting Time". Quite amazing how advanced they have become

Hell's Kitchen - missed a few years of it but picked it up this season. Gordon Ramsey is still the horse's ass but totally consistent
Assassin
Movies
Sound of Freedom, based on true events. Story of Homeland Security officer who runs across a pedophile sex ring/child slavery in Latin America. Quits Homeland to pursue them. Interesting. There are more people in slavery today then anytime in the world's history.

Five Nights at Freddies - horror flick. Okay if there is nothing else to do.
TechDawgMc
I did think Loki was pretty good in season 2. I'm not sure they haven't stretched his character past the breaking point, but it was still a compelling show
Assassin
TechDawgMc said:

I did think Loki was pretty good in season 2. I'm not sure they haven't stretched his character past the breaking point, but it was still a compelling show
Just finished it. Interesting but glad its over. Cant squeeze too much more blood out of that rock
Keyser Soze
New on Prime - Mr Robot

very good if you did not catch it when it came out. Stars Rami Malek (won Oscar as Freddie Mercury)
TechDawgMc
Went to see The Marvels last night. Pleasantly surprised. Rather fun movie. Better than almost anything from Phase 4 (faint praise I know). Has a bit of a teen feel but not so badly that it kills the story.
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

New on Prime - Mr Robot

very good if you did not catch it when it came out. Stars Rami Malek (won Oscar as Freddie Mercury)
That is one weird series!
Assassin
Remake of Pet Sematary... don't bother. Better to grab a copy of the original and plop down with a big bowl of buttered popcorn and a ice cold Dr Pepper
Assassin
Remake of Anne Rice's "Mayfair Witches" - not bad. But I like stuff like that, good supernatural, sci-fi and so forth.

Interesting tidbits, Anne's birth name? Howard Allen Frances O'Brien. Her mom was really out there and thought it was funny. And, although she was born in New Orleans, she moved to Dallas, attending Richardson HS, where she met her husband, Stan Rice. She attended Texas Women's University before transferring to North Texas State.
TechDawgMc
Two more movies:

Disney's Wish. Pretty good story, terrible music. Leaves it overall a bit flat.

Napoleon. Pretty interesting movie. Kind of an odd portrait of Napoleon. Phoenix played him a bit dull. Seems like he had to have a bit more charisma to inspire that kind of devotion. The battle scenes are excellent but the focus on Josephine seemed awkward
Assassin
TechDawgMc said:

Two more movies:

Disney's Wish. Pretty good story, terrible music. Leaves it overall a bit flat.

Napoleon. Pretty interesting movie. Kind of an odd portrait of Napoleon. Phoenix played him a bit dull. Seems like he had to have a bit more charisma to inspire that kind of devotion. The battle scenes are excellent but the focus on Josephine seemed awkward
I've heard it wasnt what folks were expecting. Box office take has been horrendous so far
TechDawgMc
Went to see The Shift last night. It's basically a SF riff on the book of Job. Generally, I thought it was pretty good. Not preachy. Tells a story well. Raises some interesting questions. Probably won't be out long (and may be fine to just watch on tv, but a good flick.
datboiquadzilla
As someone who grew up on Disney and continued to like their stuff as an adult, 2023 was a ROUGH year for them.
Assassin
The Artful Dodger - set 15 years after the events of Oliver Twist. Jack Dodger Dawkins wormed his way into becoming a brilliant surgeon - in Australia. And who turns up as a convict on his doorstep, but the lowlife ***in.

Not bad, but a little slow. Kinda better to binge it
atomicblast
Go see Godzilla Minus One! Its pretty good!
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Saw the Godzilla movie Saturday night. Good entertaining show.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Assassin
the new Eddie Murphy movie, great movie - if you are 5 years old and need a little excitement. Watched it all the way through as I'm kinda a 5 year old anyway. But will bore adults into an afternoon nap. "Candy Cane Lane". Not the Eddie Murphy we are used to
Assassin
'Napoleon' is a disaster at the box office. It has taken in about it's shooting budget at $137m but needs to be about $400m to break even when you include advertising and other ancillary expenses.

The good news for Ridley Scott? His next project is 'Gladiator II'
boykin_spaniel
The newest Mission Impossible is a great popcorn flick.

Slow Horses on Apple+ has just started airing season 3. Fantastic show. Gary Oldman is in top form. Mick Jagger is a fan of the books the show is based on and sings the intro song.
Assassin
"I'm A Virgo" - actually kind of interesting on Prime and Freevee. This kid grows to 13 feet tall and tries to make sense of the world after he has been in the house until he is 19
Assassin
Just watched "A Good Person" with Morgan Freeman. The gal has an accident and the two folks riding with her die. One of them is the sister of her fiancee. More twists as it moves along. Just when you think you have the story line figured out, another twist. A good watch.
Keyser Soze
Assassin said:

Just watched "A Good Person" with Morgan Freeman. The gal has an accident and the two folks riding with her die. One of them is the sister of her fiancee. More twists as it moves along. Just when you think you have the story line figured out, another twist. A good watch.
Spoilers!

hope the deaths happen early
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

Assassin said:

Spoilers!

hope the deaths happen early
Opening series
Assassin
Assassin said:

"I'm A Virgo" - actually kind of interesting on Prime and Freevee. This kid grows to 13 feet tall and tries to make sense of the world after he has been in the house until he is 19
Just got to Episode 4, starting to get really preachy
Assassin
Masterchef Jr. - the cutest kids you will ever see. But they can cook!
Keyser Soze
Name escapes me, but the new movie on Netflix starring Julia Roberts and Eathan Hawk is one to skip.
Assassin
DaliLand, adult life bio of Salvador Dali, with Ben Kingsley.

Good, nothing to run to the video store for, but an enjoyable evening's worth
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.