Houston area dining talk

98,741 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I nominate "How to Survive on Land & Sea" as first place. Want to check it out
GoBearsGo
Thursday hit BLT for drinks and food. We had the party melt which was awesome, not a pizza and humus. All great and the drinks are very good. Sat at the bar and had a good time.

Last night (Friday) hit Traveler's Table. 30 min wait after our reservation. They were super busy. Had some drinks at the bar and then got seated. Had some small plates, Argentina cheese bread, and Indian flatbread and some edamame dumplings. We then shared some beef check ravioli which was more like beef stroganoff and some butter chicken. Enjoyable night. Food is very good but. I thing outstanding. Great place if you have people who want different things. Would go back but I won't rush to do it.

We will hit Chinatown for lunch today to support them from coronavirus. Drinks tonight then dinner at Mutiny. I'll report back.
GoBearsGo
Went to Chinatown Saturday and had dumplings at Golden Dumpling House. Saw Chris Sheppard insta post about it and it did not disappoint. We had steamed, boiled and fried dumplings an onion cake and waters and it was under $25 and we had leftovers.

Went to Mutiny for dinner. Very nice space. Neat list of unique wines. Food was very good but overall felt it was a little pricey for what you got.

AStaton
bularry said:

AStaton said:

CTCBear said:

I'm curious about Mutiny....
So as a hobby, I started a wine-focused blog in January. Mutiny was actually the first place I reviewed. If you're interested in reading, here are my thoughts.
I"ll follow and apologize in advance for any snarky comments.

I welcome the snark!
AStaton
CTCBear said:

We should plan a Baylor wine night out. We can argue on which wine bar it should be at, but I think it would be fun.

Count me in. Vinology near Rice is a good option. And if it's on a weekend, there is a brewery next door for anyone who wants beer.
bularry
AStaton said:

CTCBear said:

We should plan a Baylor wine night out. We can argue on which wine bar it should be at, but I think it would be fun.

Count me in. Vinology near Rice is a good option. And if it's on a weekend, there is a brewery next door for anyone who wants beer.
I'm a huge Vinology fan
CTCBear
Like Vinology, Camerata, Light Years, 13 Celsius... happy to go anywhere.
bularry
Made first dinner visit to 1751 Sea and Bar. Great, great experience. Food was excellent and so was the wine list.

Went to brunch today at Squable. Only miss on all the dishes was the broiled oysters, which were flavorless and tough. Everything else was really on point and tasty.

bularry
I guess this thread will stay dormant for a while
GoBearsGo
to go only it seems. after this mess calms down let's set the wine bar meet up. Maybe a progressive tasting. uber to a few different spots. Snacks and drinks along the way.
AStaton
GoBearsGo said:

to go only it seems. after this mess calms down let's set the wine bar meet up. Maybe a progressive tasting. uber to a few different spots. Snacks and drinks along the way.
In.
bularry
any of you wine nerds want to split a 6 pack of 2014 Continuum with me? I can get them for $170 each (plus tax). Damn fine wine, I just can't bite off the entire 6 pack myself.

Let me know
GoBearsGo
On the way to Austin this weekend ( we rented an Airbnb outside of ausitn to get away. We stayed inside the whole time, except to get takeout. Just needed to get away a little bit.) we stopped by Mico's Hot Chicken.

Oh man super good. The sandwich was great. I has the medium and it was really good. If you like hot chickn give them a try.

Are ya'll getting takeout from anywhere good?

CTCBear
I got some take out from Georgia James (mainly their raw meat), Squabble, Bravery Chef Hall, and wine from Penny quarter and Montrose Cheese and wine.... gotta keep some of my favorites in business!

The deals out there on wine are legit. 50% of at some places
bularry
I'm going to make wine run on PQ this week
bularry
Got there food from their truck a couple of times. The hot is legit HOT
bularry
Did the Money Cat pup-up at Theodore Rex. thought it was really good, definitely a nice change from what we've been eating.

Been ordering wine like a junkie from Vinology.
GoBearsGo
Driving in to Houston to make a Costco run and hit a few take outs from favorites. Anyone have any great experiences recently.
JusHappy2BeHere
GoBearsGo said:

Driving in to Houston to make a Costco run and hit a few take outs from favorites. Anyone have any great experiences recently.
Huynh Restaurant on McKinney just East of 59 Downtown. Everything is really good.... Grilled Pork, Shaking Beef, even their Tofu which is stir fried with ground pork and peppers....

definitely worth a stop and don't forget the Avocado Smoothie!
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
We hit Fluff Bakery for some cookies and treats. We then went to the Korean bakery to get the dumplings that Chris Sheppard uses for his Korean braised dumplings. After Costco I got some wine from Sean Beck at Backstreet cafe. Got a bunch of stuff from TRex. Got Coltivare and ate some in the car and then headed back to Beaumont. We will eat good the next few days.
FranchiseBear
Saturday a family thats been in our Covid huddle ventured up to Tomball to Tejas 'Chocolate/bbq and brought back a huge order. First time for me - it was very legit! The brisket and pork ribs were outstanding. The restaurant went really small quantity on the sausage, beans and potato salad sides and that was only complaint. Highly recommend it!
CTCBear
Best bbq in Houston area hands down
GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

It's them or Truth. I have only had Feges at festivals and need to try their whole menu.
CTCBear
Truth is fantastic as well. Less unique, but fantastic as well. Feges is great. Their location in Greenway was a pain in the ass to get to. Really happy they are opening a Spring Branch location.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

CTCBear said:

It's them or Truth. I have only had Feges at festivals and need to try their whole menu.
Corkscrew and Reugels are the other 2 held in high regard, I believe
FranchiseBear
Agree Corkscrew & Roegels both very good. Ironically I am distantly related to wife in Corkscrew ownership couple. BStock noticed a family portrait from Churchpoint, LA dated 1890's with my last name on it in restaurant - he jokingly asked me if it was my family.... turns out it was! Not had Truth yet but its on list as is Blood Bros.
FranchiseBear
NOTE: This is a shameless plug for BU folks in Houston... and may not belong in this forum but I know it will get Houston eyes on it.

As my screen name implies I am in franchising.... most recently my wife and I are helping launch a new concept called Modern Acupuncture. As the name implies we are taking an ancient concept and bringing it mainstream in an upscale, spa like atmosphere. Most US citizens have never tried acupuncture - but internationally it is recognized as a pill/drug free way to address many common health issues. Primarily pain, stress/anxiety, sleep and other internal conditions. My personal story is acupuncture got me off of a 9 yr addiction to Ambien related to insomnia; my wife used acu during her 2018 cancer battle to help address the side effects of Chemo and to fight neuropathy, etc. It had great impact for both of us and we both still get treatments to help with stress and keep immune system functioning optimally.

We personally have locations in River Oaks Shopping Center and Bunker Hill HEB Shopping Center- there are approx 50 locations throughout the U.S. The Bunker Hill location opened a few weeks before the world melted down with COVID-19. Both locations have been closed since 3/25 but we are re opening and starting appointments 5/1.

We welcome you to come give us a try and offer a complimentary session on your first visit. If you live in the area give us a call we would love to see you! Feel free to extend this offer to your friends/family/network.

Lance
Bunker Hill - 346-867-1998
River Oaks - 713-677-0551

br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

There is a hidden gem in Missouri City called Brandanni's Cocina Italiana. It's got a really good vibe with great service... It's small... about double the size of Da Vinci's in Katy... maybe a little more than double but not much more.... It's just off Hwy 6 and Murphy Rd in the red brick strip center back in behind Capone's Pizza and Bar.

We had an early dinner about 5 and they were not busy, but by the time we left it was full. The food was outstanding and so was the wine.

We started with an off the menu appetizer special of Crab stuffed Tempura Squash Blossoms with a sweet and spicy orange sauce

Natalie had the Gemelli pasta with jumbo lump crab, tear drop tomatoes, roasted corn and finished with a basil cream sauce, and I had the wild caught gulf snapper finished with an orange chili sauce with kumquats served with sauted baby kale and gingered sweet potatoes, ,

We also got a side of Truffle Fries and Brussel Sprouts, then we shared a bread pudding for desert.

It's one of the best meals we have had in Mo City! Give it a chance.

http://www.brandanis.com/

I live in Mo City as well. I really like Los Vaqueros for TexMex. Give Texas Biergarten a shot it also has great food.

I really like Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken in Houston
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
JusHappy2BeHere
br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

There is a hidden gem in Missouri City called Brandanni's Cocina Italiana. It's got a really good vibe with great service... It's small... about double the size of Da Vinci's in Katy... maybe a little more than double but not much more.... It's just off Hwy 6 and Murphy Rd in the red brick strip center back in behind Capone's Pizza and Bar.

We had an early dinner about 5 and they were not busy, but by the time we left it was full. The food was outstanding and so was the wine.

We started with an off the menu appetizer special of Crab stuffed Tempura Squash Blossoms with a sweet and spicy orange sauce

Natalie had the Gemelli pasta with jumbo lump crab, tear drop tomatoes, roasted corn and finished with a basil cream sauce, and I had the wild caught gulf snapper finished with an orange chili sauce with kumquats served with sauted baby kale and gingered sweet potatoes, ,

We also got a side of Truffle Fries and Brussel Sprouts, then we shared a bread pudding for desert.

I live in Mo City as well. I really like Los Vaqueros for TexMex. Give Texas Biergarten a shot it also has great food.

Casa Vaqueros replaced La Escondida as our go to Tex Mex place in Mo City. We love it.

We went to Texas Beirgarten once and really enjoyed it.... then the plague hit...

Blockbuster Sushi (it's really called Top Sushi but it's in an old Blockbuster that my kids grew up with, so my kids changed the name without the owners knowledge) is excellent.

has anyone tried the new Cajun place next to Specs at Hwy 6 and Riverstone?
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Casa Vaqueros replaced La Escondida as our go to Tex Mex place in Mo City. We love it.

We went to Texas Beirgarten once and really enjoyed it.... then the plague hit...

Blockbuster Sushi (it's really called Top Sushi but it's in an old Blockbuster that my kids grew up with, so my kids changed the name without the owners knowledge) is excellent.

No not yet, but the crawfish and Pho in Sienna by the Exxon is pretty good, the crawfish were medium to small this weekend. I also like to get tacos at Casa Soliz across from Dulles High School. Fantastic tacos
JusHappy2BeHere
br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

No not yet, but the crawfish and Pho in Sienna by the Exxon is pretty good, the crawfish were medium to small this weekend. I also like to get tacos at Casa Soliz across from Dulles High School. Fantastic tacos
Solis is my #1 for Breakfast Tacos followed by Tornado. I love TTs grilled Pico de Gallo

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
Wife wanted Indian for mother's day. I took a drive from Beaumont over to Himalaya for take out. Oh that place is so good. The chef is very soup Nazi like. I always tell him how far I drove just for his food and he gives me free dessert.
bularry
One of my favorite spots is finally closing. Dolce Vida has a buyer for their building so they will be closing this week.

I have loved that place for a long time - had flavors there I never had before and rarely since
GoBearsGo
I've been cooking from Chris Sheppards cook book. I have the dumplings down.
FranchiseBear
That looks amazing. Is the cookbook somewhat easy to follow?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.