Houston area dining talk

34,801 Views | 492 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by slimecap
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brennan's
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Theoakskitchen.com
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Skip Bludorn unless you want to go broke paying for a cheeseburger and typical American eats frenched up.

Skip Tony mandolas. A shell of itself since moving to current location from where brasserie is now. A shame really. Was so lively and fun.

Skip 3/4 the restaurants on that list honestly. A few good ones indeed though!


Turners would be a good spots if you want a meal to remember. Awesome ambience. You'll walk outside and be blinded by the sunlight though afterwards hah.

Pappas steakhouse is always great. Can't ever imagine going there without pants but apparently it's possible. I would feel uncomfortable trying that. I don't know about going there mid afternoon but could be fun.

Brennan's in their courtyard would be absolutely fantastic and perfect on a Sunday, especially if it was a pretty day! Inside is fantastic as well. Brennans all the way.



I would never go to PBS in shorts... even if they let me I'd feel so Trailer Park.
I punted. We're going to Maggiano's Baybrook.

The boy is getting long pants for Christmas
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

WILLIS said:

Skip Bludorn unless you want to go broke paying for a cheeseburger and typical American eats frenched up.

Skip Tony mandolas. A shell of itself since moving to current location from where brasserie is now. A shame really. Was so lively and fun.

Skip 3/4 the restaurants on that list honestly. A few good ones indeed though!


Turners would be a good spots if you want a meal to remember. Awesome ambience. You'll walk outside and be blinded by the sunlight though afterwards hah.

Pappas steakhouse is always great. Can't ever imagine going there without pants but apparently it's possible. I would feel uncomfortable trying that. I don't know about going there mid afternoon but could be fun.

Brennan's in their courtyard would be absolutely fantastic and perfect on a Sunday, especially if it was a pretty day! Inside is fantastic as well. Brennans all the way.



I would never go to PBS in shorts... even if they let me I'd feel so Trailer Park.
I punted. We're going to Maggiano's Baybrook.

The boy is getting long pants for Christmas


There are so many better restaurants in Clear Lake than Maggianos!
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Skip Bludorn unless you want to go broke paying for a cheeseburger and typical American eats frenched up.

Skip Tony mandolas. A shell of itself since moving to current location from where brasserie is now. A shame really. Was so lively and fun.

Skip 3/4 the restaurants on that list honestly. A few good ones indeed though!


Turners would be a good spots if you want a meal to remember. Awesome ambience. You'll walk outside and be blinded by the sunlight though afterwards hah.

Pappas steakhouse is always great. Can't ever imagine going there without pants but apparently it's possible. I would feel uncomfortable trying that. I don't know about going there mid afternoon but could be fun.

Brennan's in their courtyard would be absolutely fantastic and perfect on a Sunday, especially if it was a pretty day! Inside is fantastic as well. Brennans all the way.


No way skip 3/4 of that list... name them if you don't like 'em because there are some great places on that list


Shorts isn't an issue.... the food allergies is the bigger hurdle.
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok yes that was dramatic
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Ok yes that was dramatic
we need a Houston group dinner....Willis eats at a lot of great places
CTCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm down... but maybe give it a few weeks or so. We just had a baby and there is no way I'll be allowed out of the house for a fun dinner for a while.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTCBear said:

I'm down... but maybe give it a few weeks or so. We just had a baby and there is no way I'll be allowed out of the house for a fun dinner for a while.
of course... it will take forever to coordinate


I vote Rosie's....
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not new and hip but I really love Poscol. Definitely one of my favorite Italian spots. I searched sicem for "poscol" and didn't find it so thought I'd throw it out there. Very reasonable $ for what it is too.

https://www.poscolhouston.com/


We should probably ask Brian, Colt, etc. to move this thread to the bear cave. 95% members don't see this forum area.
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A new Restaurant with a Michelin Star pedigree is opening in the Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts.

Le Jardinier will open May 18

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-28-21-le-jardinier-new-restaurant-museum-fine-arts-houston-mfah-chef-alain-verzeroli/#slide=0

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

A new Restaurant with a Michelin Star pedigree is opening in the Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts.

Le Jardinier will open May 18

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-28-21-le-jardinier-new-restaurant-museum-fine-arts-houston-mfah-chef-alain-verzeroli/#slide=0


Just listened to a podcast about this and their counter service place sounds great.

I grabbed a spot at Littlefoot Friday night. For those that don't know that's the popup the chef at TRex is doing.

I have heard great things about it and Kaitlin Steets does a great job.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

Ok yes that was dramatic
we need a Houston group dinner....Willis eats at a lot of great places
Let's do it. Let's just pick a night and go. With or without spouses? My wife always loves when I tell her we are going to meet my friends on the internet.
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

A new Restaurant with a Michelin Star pedigree is opening in the Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts.

Le Jardinier will open May 18

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-28-21-le-jardinier-new-restaurant-museum-fine-arts-houston-mfah-chef-alain-verzeroli/#slide=0


Just listened to a podcast about this and their counter service place sounds great.

I grabbed a spot at Littlefoot Friday night. For those that don't know that's the popup the chef at TRex is doing.

I have heard great things about it and Kaitlin Steets does a great job.
TRex that posts on here is doing a pop up chef? I thought he was engaged?
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

A new Restaurant with a Michelin Star pedigree is opening in the Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts.

Le Jardinier will open May 18

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-28-21-le-jardinier-new-restaurant-museum-fine-arts-houston-mfah-chef-alain-verzeroli/#slide=0


Just listened to a podcast about this and their counter service place sounds great.

I grabbed a spot at Littlefoot Friday night. For those that don't know that's the popup the chef at TRex is doing.

I have heard great things about it and Kaitlin Steets does a great job.
TRex that posts on here is doing a pop up chef? I thought he was engaged?
Theodore Rex is the Trex I refer to on these threads.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So you listen to Eric's podcast, too
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

So you listen to Eric's podcast, too
yep. really enjoy it.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had a great meal at Littlefoot. It's a 5 course tasting menu like Oxheart was. Everything was outstanding. Kaitlin Steets is the main chef at Justin Yu's Theodore Rex. If I was rich and wanted to own a restaurant, I'd hire her and open something up. She's a rising star. TRex will be closed a couple weeks to redecorate and then reopen.

bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to March last night. Great experience.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

Went to March last night. Great experience.


Need more details. Have heard great things. Did you do the wine pairing?
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

Had a great meal at Littlefoot. It's a 5 course tasting menu like Oxheart was. Everything was outstanding. Kaitlin Steets is the main chef at Justin Yu's Theodore Rex. If I was rich and wanted to own a restaurant, I'd hire her and open something up. She's a rising star. TRex will be closed a couple weeks to redecorate and then reopen.




I thought Littlefoot was Justin Yu's also? Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly.
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Your post also reminded me I am sad I never made it to oxheart.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

Went to March last night. Great experience.


Need more details. Have heard great things. Did you do the wine pairing?
yes, just did the 6 course with the regular wine pairings. had a cocktail in the lounge before meal. Just stellar service all around. I have some pics, i'll post some
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Your post also reminded me I am sad I never made it to oxheart.
oh, it was really great. such awesome vegetable presentations. I love T-rex too, but man Oxheart was special, IMO
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

GoBearsGo said:

Had a great meal at Littlefoot. It's a 5 course tasting menu like Oxheart was. Everything was outstanding. Kaitlin Steets is the main chef at Justin Yu's Theodore Rex. If I was rich and wanted to own a restaurant, I'd hire her and open something up. She's a rising star. TRex will be closed a couple weeks to redecorate and then reopen.




I thought Littlefoot was Justin Yu's also? Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly.

Justin gave Kaitlin free reign over Littlefoot. So he owns it but she held this as a popup.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

Went to March last night. Great experience.


Need more details. Have heard great things. Did you do the wine pairing?
yes, just did the 6 course with the regular wine pairings. had a cocktail in the lounge before meal. Just stellar service all around. I have some pics, i'll post some
Please post them. I am excited to see it develop. It's not an every night place due to the $$ but I think there is nothing else like it in Houston and it fits a needed void in the market. A true fine dining experience.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

Went to March last night. Great experience.


Need more details. Have heard great things. Did you do the wine pairing?
yes, just did the 6 course with the regular wine pairings. had a cocktail in the lounge before meal. Just stellar service all around. I have some pics, i'll post some
Please post them. I am excited to see it develop. It's not an every night place due to the $$ but I think there is nothing else like it in Houston and it fits a needed void in the market. A true fine dining experience.
completely agree (not a frequent splurge for me due to $$ and also unique to the market).

my wife has pics, so when I get them I'll post a few. we ate early enough the lighting was good for our amateur photo abilities
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Not new and hip but I really love Poscol. Definitely one of my favorite Italian spots. I searched sicem for "poscol" and didn't find it so thought I'd throw it out there. Very reasonable $ for what it is too.

https://www.poscolhouston.com/


We should probably ask Brian, Colt, etc. to move this thread to the bear cave. 95% members don't see this forum area.

I was a huge fanboy for their other concept, Dolce Vita. Wife and I ate there as often as we could get into town... I loved their pizzas and the veggies... really everything.

My 2 visits to Poscol were both disappointing... which makes no sense, but I doubt we'll ever go back.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
looks cool.... but that is way, way out there. goodness
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?

this is view of the 4 snacks in the Lounge pre-dinner.

close up of the caviar and morocco style potato


First dish... little hard to see but fresh legumes and herbs with smoked roe..... delicious. loved the plate color with the food presentation

amberjack and radish and some sauce of cilantro I believe (underneath). fruit on top with cilantro blossom (I think)

tuna belly... can't recall the crazy good saucey stuff with it... again presentation lovely on the plate

anyway, you get the idea. I have a few more but not quite as clear/good.
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That is way too fancy for me. I need a bar and grill.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is very fancy, for sure
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

It is very fancy, for sure
thanks for posting.
Stemperford
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate. Live, Love, Eat healthily.
MarkRs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTCBear said:

I'm down... but maybe give it a few weeks or so. We just had a baby and there is no way I'll be allowed out of the house for a fun dinner for a while.
I read this and now I can not stop thinking about how our girlfriends are changing after the birth of a child. By the way, the changes are noticeable precisely after the birth of the first child. There are those who take this topic completely and no longer pay attention to anything else. There are those who honestly divide responsibilities in half, but also divide small joys in half. And there is an incomprehensible intermediate option when a young mother begins to think that she knows everything better than anyone else. They made so many comments to my brother about everyday things, sent links like how to clean windows correctly. And this concerned not only the fact that inside the house but also "you drive the car incorrectly", "you choose the wrong food in the restaurant". CTCBea, I do not think that everything is so in reality. It's just that this topic really caught on. I have not married yet but there is a girl. And there is a bad, extremely bad example from a brother. In short .. I get nervous and start hiding the diamond ring that I already bought ((
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.