Houston area dining talk

98,768 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

Brennan's in Houston isn't in the same league as CP in Nola

I don't go often but my last couple of visits to Brennans were pretty underwhelming

They have a new head chef. I forget who but he was from one of the underbelly places.
bularry
Good point. I need to go back
WILLIS
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Has anyone been to Roost?

Young Chef Kevin Nederin doing some good work with middle eastern flavors

Going there tonight actually. Chefs tasting menu looks super. Will report back.
WILLIS
Everything was super. Andy the server was top notch and so friendly to chat with. I had:

1. fried cauliflower, scallions, toasted pine nuts, miso dressing, bonito flakes

2. Low-country shrimp n' grits- Jumbo Gulf shrimp, Waco white grits, andouille, crawfish gravy

3. Coffee n' donut holes- Nutmeg donuts, crushed pistachios, dulce de leche, coffee ice cream

Also came with a draft beer as part of the $55 menu.

Wife had:

1. Same cauliflower app

2. Angus flat iron steak Panang, Thai spices, long beans, trumpet mushrooms, turmeric rice

3. Chocolate and cayenne milk shake with dipping fries dessert. Sounds funny but was really good.

Don't dress up to go there. Real casual table setting and old chairs my dad would find uncomfortable but I didn't care. Only about a dozen tables total. Felt like a little Italian family joint, not too loud.

They are changing the menu up big time in the next couple of weeks. Will go again! So full.
bularry
glad it was good!
bularry
Had brunch on Sunday with all the kids at Toasted Coconut. If you like a casual option with really good cocktails, I highly recommend!

GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Had brunch on Sunday with all the kids at Toasted Coconut. If you like a casual option with really good cocktails, I highly recommend!

They have great food. One of my favs.
bularry
off to Rosie's tonight!
bularry
Rosie's was great! I didn't take pics because we were celebrating a birthday for a friend.

WILLIS
Seems nearly impossible to get a weekend evening reservation there in the dining room unless a month + out. Dorsia.
bularry
WILLIS said:

Seems nearly impossible to get a weekend evening reservation there in the dining room unless a month + out. Dorsia.
Sunday night at 7:30 place was packed.... they are doing well

IMO, food has improved over the past 9 months and service is just top notch
Illinois Bear
WILLIS said:

&ct=g
WILLIS
Alright! Got a baby sitter and taking my wife to Rosie Cannonball for her 30th birthday on Thursday. What menu items stand out? I am pumped!
br53
WILLIS said:

Alright! Got a baby sitter and taking my wife to Rosie Cannonball for her 30th birthday on Thursday. What menu items stand out? I am pumped!
She have any single friends
CTCBear
Focaccia
Little Gem Lettuce
Blistered Bean Salad
Every pizza ive had has been great
Octopus was great

Also, anyone been to TRex since they changed the menu? Any standouts? Headed there tonight
bularry
CTCBear said:

Focaccia
Little Gem Lettuce
Blistered Bean Salad
Every pizza ive had has been great
Octopus was great

Also, anyone been to TRex since they changed the menu? Any standouts? Headed there tonight
this is good list
WILLIS
br53 said:

WILLIS said:

She has a couple BU alumni friends in Houston that are...
br53
WILLIS said:

br53 said:

WILLIS said:

It just so happens that I am in Sugar Land
JusHappy2BeHere
Looks like a slick chain is opening tomorrow in Uptown. They have many locations in Canada, a some in LA, and a few in Seattle, and Houston is getting their first entry into Texas.

Joey UPTOWN opens July 28

https://joeyrestaurants.com/location/joey-uptown

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
Let me know how TRex is.

We have Squable Friday night and Bludorn Sunday night. We are going to go to a drive in Saturday and I think they have some food trucks.

I think we will hit Candente for lunch Friday.

I can't get too excited about a fancy chain.
WILLIS
Rosies was very good. Not blown away though. Would like to go back again sometime.

Focaccia, wine list, bean salad were all really excellent.

Service was incredible. Certified somm help was nice too.

Octopus was fine. Not a great char on it. Think the state of grace octopus dish is wayyy better. Pizza was good. Nothing I'll be raving about to others though.

Desserts were average at best.

Will try again.

bularry
br53 said:

WILLIS said:

br53 said:

WILLIS said:

we need to party....First Colony represent
bularry
Did you get that march cheese cake? good lord I think it is awesome.
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

WILLIS said:

br53 said:

WILLIS said:

we need to party....First Colony represent
Lets go to State Fare some time for a good glass of bourbon.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
WILLIS
I'll drive out there for a bourbon meet up. We're in Briargrove. Or y'all come in for a dinner.
br53
WILLIS said:

I'll drive out there for a bourbon meet up. We're in Briargrove. Or y'all come in for a dinner.

I can do both brother after I get back from crappie fishing this weekend
GoBearsGo
Don't leave me out
JusHappy2BeHere
Mo City can hang out one evening
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Where you at in Mo City
GoBearsGo
Hit Candente yesterday for lunch. Had the birrira tacos and loved them. Everything was great.

Squable for dinner. Every dish was great. Low key banger was a bean dish with Greek flavors and fired feta.

Probably my #2 spot in Houston. I always enjoy it.
JusHappy2BeHere
br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Where you at in Mo City

Vicksburg

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
Just got back from Houston with our friends from St. Louis.

Friday Lunch-Candente-loved it. I have never been but will be back.
Dinner-Squable-Always great. Dutch baby with grilled peaches, Greek beans with fried feta, and a pasta that was almost like a Cesar salad in a pasta.

Sat-lunch at Harold's in the heights. Dinner was a foodtruck at Moonstruck Drive-in.

Sunday brunch was a Superica and Dinner was at Bludorn, which I think might be my favorite place. Squash blossoms, gnocchi, truffle risotto, and the burger and the lobster pot pie. baked Alaska and flourless chocolate cake.

Monday- lunch at Ra Sushi and Dinner at Reil which is awesome. Second time to go and everything was spot on. Snapper crudo, burrata with grilled peaches, perogies, fried cauliflower, empanadas, caviar tater tots, and more. All was just outstanding.
br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Where you at in Mo City

Vicksburg
I am just about ready for something good to eat and drink today in Sugar Land or Mo City. Who's in?
bularry
I just couldn't get out last night, sorry about that....
br53
Pretty short notice. Maybe next week one night. Yall let me know what works. Im free every night but Wednesday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.