Houston area dining talk

98,729 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like a great time!

Had my first ever visit to Da Marco, old school Houston. Gotta say, food was really, really good. Very happy with it.
br53
Going to Popeye's on Eldridge today for the 2 piece and a strawberry soda. I will let you know how the food is because we already know the service will suck.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
WILLIS
Love hearing that. I haven't been there in 5 or more years and have been wanting to go back. Thrown it out a few times as a date or anni type spot for the Mrs. but we've ended up at other places.
bularry
WILLIS said:

Love hearing that. I haven't been there in 5 or more years and have been wanting to go back. Thrown it out a few times as a date or anni type spot for the Mrs. but we've ended up at other places.
Yeah, I was a tad bit worried, but turned out great. And the old Somm working the floor suggested some excellent value priced wines. I was gonna drop $300 on a bottle of Barolo but he was like "get this Nebbiolo for $96, it is very good". Boom!! I like that kind of advice.
JusHappy2BeHere
I'm going to try out Chef Roberto's Carbonara at Fresco Cafe Italiano on I-69 near Edloe for lunch today.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
WILLIS
Anyone been to El Topo over in West U? Drove by it the other day going by my old stomping grounds. I enjoyed many a burger at the Edloe Deli that used to be there growing up. El Topo looks great from what I see online.
bularry
WILLIS said:

Anyone been to El Topo over in West U? Drove by it the other day going by my old stomping grounds. I enjoyed many a burger at the Edloe Deli that used to be there growing up. El Topo looks great from what I see online.
start as a taco truck? I think it did. had it a couple of times. good, didn't blow me away....
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

I'm going to try out Chef Roberto's Carbonara at Fresco Cafe Italiano on I-69 near Edloe for lunch today.
as you drive up 69 wave to your left at my office after you pass Wesleyan.
br53
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

No one finger waves he sees enough of those during the day from strangers.
CTCBear
I have and love it. Great tacos that def feel upscale. Love the wine list....not many places that you can get a fun bottle and a taco.
bularry
that is a cool wine list
CammoTX
Anyone eaten at Joey Uptown in Galleria? Suggestions on what to order?
TexasBBear
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Same.

How was it? Always looking for something decent near the office. For when we go back in. Eventually.
JusHappy2BeHere
It was awesome. Very small dining room. All the pasta is made fresh daily. Sauces, meat, pasta, desserts were all amazing. And its byob.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
FranchiseBear
Is it appropriate for date night with wife? Menu and descriptions look great
bularry
TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Same.

How was it? Always looking for something decent near the office. For when we go back in. Eventually.
I'm in 20 Greenway off Cummins... which building you in?
WILLIS
Anyone been to Lulu's on Kirby? Wife's been itching to go.
TexasBBear
bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Same.

I'm just a couple of blocks away in 9 - between Richmond and Lakewood. But I've only been to the office twice since March 2020.

I'm very familiar with the Starbucks at 59 and Cummins. Worth the walk compared to what's available in 11 or the DoubleTree
bularry
TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Same.

I'm just a couple of blocks away in 9 - between Richmond and Lakewood. But I've only been to the office twice since March 2020.

I'm very familiar with the Starbucks at 59 and Cummins. Worth the walk compared to what's available in 11 or the DoubleTree
you don't like Greenway Roasters? I actually have walked over there many times (pre Covid).

I go in a couple times a week
bularry
WILLIS said:

the place opened by Armando's owners? haven't been. lots of new Italian places opening.

long time chef at DeMarco just opened a new spot, too
TexasBBear
bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Same.

you don't like Greenway Roasters? I actually have walked over there many times (pre Covid).

Is it in the HUB? I haven't been that direction since 2018 or so - was never super impressed by any of the options in the food court.

But I'll make a point to find good coffee!
JusHappy2BeHere
FranchiseBear said:

Is it appropriate for date night with wife? Menu and descriptions look great
Absolutely. It is very small. You can bring your own wine. Everything is great, and Chef Roberto is always there. Don't think swanky..... more corner bistro in a decent strip center.

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Same.

Is it in the HUB? I haven't been that direction since 2018 or so - was never super impressed by any of the options in the food court.

yeah, the HUB. near Feges BBQ. Too bad burger chan closed.....
WILLIS
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

the place opened by Armando's owners? haven't been. lots of new Italian places opening.

We went. It sucked. Annoyed as I had wanted to hit Da Marco. Next time.
TexasBBear
bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

TexasBBear said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Same.

yeah, the HUB. near Feges BBQ. Too bad burger chan closed.....

Burger Chan was the only HUB place I would eat. That's a shame.
JusHappy2BeHere
Has anyone been to the Post Houston yet in the old Barbara Jordan Post Office Building downtown?

https://www.posthtx.com/

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
WILLIS said:

bularry said:

WILLIS said:

I bet the 'scene' was cool, though. Armando's can be interesting in the bar (at least pre Covid)
WILLIS
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

bularry said:

WILLIS said:

I bet the 'scene' was cool, though. Armando's can be interesting in the bar (at least pre Covid)

Eh. It wasn't super busy and besides some ROCC type socialites for people watching, pretty uninteresting place to be honest. Pretty cheap decor. They lined the ceiling with some good wood and put in a half decent looking bar. I doubt it will last a couple years unless the food becomes super. Agree on Armandos.

Whenever I try these Italian spots I ask myself would I rather at Rosie Carrabas almost next door to by my house sitting at the bar and I definitely would have preferred it. Same for Nino's, Damians, etc.

Rosie Cannonball and Poscol passed the test for me as far as desire to return vs hit up a mainstay like above.
GoBearsGo
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Has anyone been to the Post Houston yet in the old Barbara Jordan Post Office Building downtown?

https://www.posthtx.com/

Went a few weeks ago for lunch. Really enjoyed it. All the places lol great. The rooftop is awesome, except they need to allow alcohol up there.
bularry
Been to Roost twice in the past month since it is near my new house. Food is fantastic.

As Cammo mentioned, the tables are pretty tight in a small area. In today's world, a tad unsettling. Wine list is pretty small and doesn't wow me... but food is really, really good.
br53
bularry said:

Been to Roost twice in the past month since it is near my new house. Food is fantastic.

As Cammo mentioned, the tables are pretty tight in a small area. In today's world, a tad unsettling. Wine list is pretty small and doesn't wow me... but food is really, really good.
Depends on who I get seated next to, may not be that unsettling at all.
CammoTX
Went to Brennan's Saturday and it was excellent as always. Finally splurged and got the after dinner flambed coffee cocktail featured here. Was awesome.

bularry
This is my wife's 'birthday month' so we kicked it off with some midweek dining fun. Ate the last two nights at Rosie Cannonball's and Riel. Both meals were just excellent.

We sat at the bar at Rosie's and had as good of service there as I've ever experienced.
FranchiseBear
We still have not been to Rosie Cannonball -- sounds really good.

We hit Ostia last Saturday night for 2nd time and really enjoyed it. Our table of 4 shared bruschetta, a Caesar, 1/2 roasted chicken, lamb shank, crispy potato with aioli. Food was really good and I really like the build out - some what unique in Houston. My only complaint is the pizzas are not on dinner menu - the fired oven looks great in the kitchen. I would really like to try it along with other entrees.

Not food related.... but I am very excited that the live music scene in town has heated up again. White Oak has a great line up. Heights Theatre has been back for a while now.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

This is my wife's 'birthday month' so we kicked it off with some midweek dining fun. Ate the last two nights at Rosie Cannonball's and Riel. Both meals were just excellent.

We sat at the bar at Rosie's and had as good of service there as I've ever experienced.
Love both those places.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.