Houston area dining talk

98,733 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well said… it never disappoints. Such a great experience all the way around. Glad y'all got to enjoy this weekend!
bularry
ate at Ruggles Black last night..... I don't get it

for my palate and dining preferences, it was pretty much awful
br53
bularry said:

ate at Ruggles Black last night..... I don't get it

for my palate and dining preferences, it was pretty much awful

I agree with you. Best thing there is the whiskey which I can get at Specs and cook at home
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
WILLIS
Haven't been there in years since the owner had his illegal seafood snafu. Sort of forgot about it.
bularry
WILLIS said:

Haven't been there in years since the owner had his illegal seafood snafu. Sort of forgot about it.
well this place is fairly new... he's rebranded himself I guess. Probably still a POS, who knows.

br53
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

well this place is fairly new... he's rebranded himself I guess. Probably still a POS, who knows.

Yall want to meet somewhere to watch the second round and have a few drinks and some food?
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
bularry
br53 said:

bularry said:

WILLIS said:

Yall want to meet somewhere to watch the second round and have a few drinks and some food?
it is early game time, I can probably do something. anyone else available?
CammoTX
Anyone eaten at Toro Toro in Four Seasons downtown? It's in the space where Quattro used to be, which was one of my favorite Italian places in Houston.
bularry
CammoTX said:

Anyone eaten at Toro Toro in Four Seasons downtown? It's in the space where Quattro used to be, which was one of my favorite Italian places in Houston.
looks very good, but I'm just never downtown so haven't been.
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

CammoTX said:

looks very good, but I'm just never downtown so haven't been.
It's about 3 blocks from where I work. I'll have to give it a try.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
going tomorrow to a wine dinner at TRex with Robert Sinskey.

Bludorn just announced a wine dinner with Staglin at $350per person in April. If you haven't had their Cab, you should. It's superb. It's $$$ but its outstanding.
CTCBear
Super jealous of the Trex dinner....

Im headed to March tonight and couldn't be more excited
bularry
going to go to March for anniversary in a couple of months

I need to get back to TRex.
GoBearsGo
The TRex dinner was great. That's what we need to do is a private Sicem dinner at TRex.

Katlyn spent a lot of time with us talking about her good. It was all wonderful. She's a rising star chef. If I were a wealthy man who wanted a way to blow a couple mill I'd hire her and open up a restaurant.
JusHappy2BeHere
New Italian Chophouse called Marmo opening in Montrose next month

https://marmoitalian.com/
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

they own Loch Bar and something else in the River Oaks area. Very much aimed at the young and too much money crowd, LOL. I'm sure it will do well.

That whole area around Loch Bar is very interesting. If you want to know how the children of Saudi and SA oil heirs live, go hang out there. see lots of exotic cars, etc.
bularry
Went to Ostia last night for first time. I've read mixed reviews but gotta say our food was fantastic. Beautiful place, too
CammoTX
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

they own Loch Bar and something else in the River Oaks area. Very much aimed at the young and too much money crowd, LOL. I'm sure it will do well.

That whole area around Loch Bar is very interesting. If you want to know how the children of Saudi and SA oil heirs live, go hang out there. see lots of exotic cars, etc.

It's pretty well known that the Eastern European call girls work the bar patrons at Steak 48
bularry
CammoTX said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

It's pretty well known that the Eastern European call girls work the bar patrons at Steak 48
yeah. It is a long story, but wife and I stayed at an apartment in that building right behind Steak 48 a couple of years ago. So spent a lot of time around that shopping center for a long weekend. It was interesting, I'll say that!
bularry
anyone have any vegan fine dining experiences? I've got a friend coming to town that is vegan and wants to go out somewhere that is cool. I'm think either State of Grace or Rosies I can get them to work with me with their veggies, but open to other suggestions in general Montrose area....
WILLIS
Korny Vibes. Vegan comfort food. Probably my only true Vegan food experience and was relatively impressed.

(Not fine dining)
JusHappy2BeHere
I have a Vegan friend who loves B&B Butcher's. She said they had the best veggies in town.

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
I went to Roegels and Had the brisket. They know how to make that coastal taste great.
JusHappy2BeHere
I was thinking about lunch at J bar M. Has anyone been there?

Mahatma Gandhi
FranchiseBear
any recs for family dinner to celebrate wife's birthday? Looking for something leaning on casual side - will have 13 and 16 yr old with us. Bluedorn and Rosie Cannonball on our 'want to go' list but not sure if appropriate with teenagers in tow. Open to suggestions from downtown to Memorial area.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

anyone have any vegan fine dining experiences? I've got a friend coming to town that is vegan and wants to go out somewhere that is cool. I'm think either State of Grace or Rosies I can get them to work with me with their veggies, but open to other suggestions in general Montrose area....
Trex has a lot of veggie options usually.
GoBearsGo
FranchiseBear said:

any recs for family dinner to celebrate wife's birthday? Looking for something leaning on casual side - will have 13 and 16 yr old with us. Bluedorn and Rosie Cannonball on our 'want to go' list but not sure if appropriate with teenagers in tow. Open to suggestions from downtown to Memorial area.
We love Tiny Champs in EaDo for nice casual but awesome fare.

We took our son to Bluedorn and he had the burger and Lobster potpie. I think most any place is appropriate for well behaved kids who are open to trying good food.

Now, it's not cheap but at least they don't drink your wine or any $15 cocktails.

We drag him to most places cause I like to eat good when I am in Houston. State of Grace, One Fifth, Georgia James and Rosie's Kata.

Just one man's thoughts.
FranchiseBear
Good info. Waited too late to get Bludorn or Rose reservations. Looks like we are going to the old stand by Pappas Bros and take her to one of above later.
bularry
br53 said:

I went to Roegels and Had the brisket. They know how to make that coastal taste great.

Need to go there
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

FranchiseBear said:

We love Tiny Champs in EaDo for nice casual but awesome fare.

We took our son to Bluedorn and he had the burger and Lobster potpie. I think most any place is appropriate for well behaved kids who are open to trying good food.

Now, it's not cheap but at least they don't drink your wine or any $15 cocktails.

We drag him to most places cause I like to eat good when I am in Houston. State of Grace, One Fifth, Georgia James and Rosie's Kata.

Just one man's thoughts.

Good suggestions
CammoTX
FranchiseBear said:

Good info. Waited too late to get Bludorn or Rose reservations. Looks like we are going to the old stand by Pappas Bros and take her to one of above later.

Brennan's will always treat you right, esp for a special occasion.
JusHappy2BeHere
Mrs. and I are going to 1751 for my birthday tomorrow.... any must have dishes I need to order?

Mahatma Gandhi
CTCBear
get as many of the smoked, cured, preserved fish dishes as they have.
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Mrs. and I are going to 1751 for my birthday tomorrow.... any must have dishes I need to order?
So how was it?

I enjoyed that place on my pre-pandemic visit
bularry
Went to Chivos last night, newish Heights place

Wife and I really enjoyed our food. Didn't drink any tequila/mezcal but they have a ton if that is an interest.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.