Houston area dining talk

98,748 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Mrs. and I are going to 1751 for my birthday tomorrow.... any must have dishes I need to order?
So how was it?

I enjoyed that place on my pre-pandemic visit
The selection of spirits, cocktails, and wines was excellent, and we enjoyed the space. Our waiter was attentive and personable. The ceviche and tuna tartine were good, but when I got the small plate of Texas Wood Grilled Oysters, and my wife told the waiter they were all for me because she doesn't do oysters, He brought out the Oysters for me and brought her a Colossal Fried Shrimp and Atomic Cocktail Sauce so she wouldn't feel left out. The Wood fired Oysters were amazing. I can't stop thinking about their smoky goodness even now, and after tasting a bit of her shrimp and red sauce I chose that as my entre. The shrimp were huge and fried well, very tasty, and the Sauce was wonderful. The one complaint we usually have about Cocktail Sauce is that no one uses enough Horseradish. That is not a problem at 1751. It was absolutely Atomic and wonderful. We also got the Slow Roasted Salmon with the Beurre Mont and she was over the moon for it. She said it was a home run, and that is an absolute rave review for her. All in all it was an excellent evening, and we will be back soon for JD's Seared Seasonal Catch and Huckleberry G.O.A.T Well done 1751
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
WILLIS
Adding that to the list. Sounds like a perfect experience.
CammoTX
JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Mrs. and I are going to 1751 for my birthday tomorrow.... any must have dishes I need to order?
So how was it?

The selection of spirits, cocktails, and wines was excellent, and we enjoyed the space. Our waiter was attentive and personable. The ceviche and tuna tartine were good, but when I got the small plate of Texas Wood Grilled Oysters, and my wife told the waiter they were all for me because she doesn't do oysters, He brought out the Oysters for me and brought her a Colossal Fried Shrimp and Atomic Cocktail Sauce so she wouldn't feel left out. The Wood fired Oysters were amazing. I can't stop thinking about their smoky goodness even now, and after tasting a bit of her shrimp and red sauce I chose that as my entre. The shrimp were huge and fried well, very tasty, and the Sauce was wonderful. The one complaint we usually have about Cocktail Sauce is that no one uses enough Horseradish. That is not a problem at 1751. It was absolutely Atomic and wonderful. We also got the Slow Roasted Salmon with the Beurre Mont and she was over the moon for it. She said it was a home run, and that is an absolute rave review for her. All in all it was an excellent evening, and we will be back soon for JD's Seared Seasonal Catch and Huckleberry G.O.A.T Well done 1751

If you like oysters, this place is worth the drive…

https://www.pier6seafood.com/

JusHappy2BeHere
CammoTX said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

So how was it?

If you like oysters, this place is worth the drive…

https://www.pier6seafood.com/

That looks way classier than Gilhooley's Restaurant and Oyster Bar
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
had some friends in town and we ate at Gratify on Saturday night.... that was a fairly interesting people watching dinner

My food was good and the wine list was pretty good, too. I'd eat there again.

My only pause is I was there before my friends, so I sat at the bar by myself and decided to have a little snack of oysters and a muscadet from the loire. ($25 for half dozen oysters, wow) So the lady comes and pours my wine and it is orange. Now, I'm not a somm but I have had my share of Loire valley pays nantes whites and they don't usually have skin contact or oxidation as part of the ferment, so I was suspicious and one smell told me that something was wrong with that wine.

so I told the lady behind the bar and she wanted to debate me. she did agree that "maybe" it didn't smell right and opened a new bottle. A place selling food/wine at these prices, that should never happen.
br53
Anybody ever been to Marmo or heard anything about it?
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

had some friends in town and we ate at Gratify on Saturday night.... that was a fairly interesting people watching dinner

My food was good and the wine list was pretty good, too. I'd eat there again.

My only pause is I was there before my friends, so I sat at the bar by myself and decided to have a little snack of oysters and a muscadet from the loire. ($25 for half dozen oysters, wow) So the lady comes and pours my wine and it is orange. Now, I'm not a somm but I have had my share of Loire valley pays nantes whites and they don't usually have skin contact or oxidation as part of the ferment, so I was suspicious and one smell told me that something was wrong with that wine.

so I told the lady behind the bar and she wanted to debate me. she did agree that "maybe" it didn't smell right and opened a new bottle. A place selling food/wine at these prices, that should never happen.
She should have just apologized and gotten you a new glass. She could have even poured a small bit for herself to taste with the new bottle discreetly so she can know the difference.

Even if she thought you were nuts she should have agreed and moved on.

On a different note, have you been to March?
CammoTX
Need Mother's Day brunch recommendations for a place on west side or near west side that won't break the bank
bularry
I have and I'm going again in a few weeks. Can't wait!
bularry
CammoTX said:

Need Mother's Day brunch recommendations for a place on west side or near west side that won't break the bank
good luck
bularry
br53 said:

pricey. same people as LochBar, so a ******y target but that can be fun... IDK
bularry
exactly. the lady didn't know wine, that's for sure. I go to a lot of winebars/restaurants, and I can't think of anywhere else where they would have even questioned me. when she poured it I knew it was bad. in the end, no biggie, but that's a service/training red flag.
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

So it's fun for normal people like me to go and make fun of ****** bags?
bularry
br53 said:

bularry said:

br53 said:

probably. actually just heard a podcast and they were very complimentary of the place from their visit. So probably pretty darn good.
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

bularry said:

br53 said:

probably. actually just heard a podcast and they were very complimentary of the place from their visit. So probably pretty darn good.

I'm supposed to go there Friday night. I'll report back
GoBearsGo
Went to Wild Oats last night. Great meal. It's a little pricey for chicken fried steak. It's a waygu CFS and probably the best one I've ever had, but it was $40+ for it. Everything was delicious. Very very casual.

I've heard the Sunday brunch was great.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Went to Wild Oats last night. Great meal. It's a little pricey for chicken fried steak. It's a waygu CFS and probably the best one I've ever had, but it was $40+ for it. Everything was delicious. Very very casual.

I've heard the Sunday brunch was great.
the new Chris Shepard type of place - charge outrageous prices for the most base of food items, but do something to call them "fancy"

after working to be an inventive chef all these years, he and his real estate developer partners realize $$ comes from creating hype and charge older successful people $80 for a steak and 4x on wine lists and roll with it.

Can't wait for his $50 lasagna place to open!!!

sorry, rant over, glad the food was good.

I'd like to try it, tbh, but not real convenient to get to, IMO. I think I can go to Killen's on Shepherd and get similar experience? much closer drive for me.
GoBearsGo
It was very casual and a small basic menu. I had a client lose a bet and we picked this place thinking it would be high quality and a little more reasonable. Lucky I drove from Beaumont and paid for our drinks at Johnny's Goldbrick before dinner.

I'm interested to hear the story why his str chef Nick Wong suddenly is out of a job.
bularry
guessing, but I think Nick wants to make more interesting food. I think the split was amicable.
br53
Never made it to Marmo. Went to Federal Grill to watch the horse race and have whiskey with a few buddies from Baylor. Ended up at State of Grace Dinner was Excellent.
GoBearsGo
br53 said:

Never made it to Marmo. Went to Federal Grill to watch the horse race and have whiskey with a few buddies from Baylor. Ended up at State of Grace Dinner was Excellent.
Try the Chef's counter sometime at SOG. It's an awesome experience. I wish Houston had more of them.

br53
GoBearsGo said:

br53 said:

Try the Chef's counter sometime at SOG. It's an awesome experience. I wish Houston had more of them.

Thanks for that info!
bularry
br53 said:

sounds like a great evening!
CammoTX
Anyone eaten at The Warwick? It's at old Houston's restaurant site.
GoBearsGo
Where have ya'll been recently?
WILLIS
Molinas Cantina Patio with the 2 yr old.
br53
GoBearsGo said:

Where have ya'll been recently?
Friday night I went to Loch Bar for apps and drinks, Le Colonial for dinner, then night cap at H Bar. It was a great evening. Food and drinks were superb everywhere. Saw Dr. Mark Adickes and his family at Loch Bar.
WILLIS
My wife really likes Le Colonial but I've still never been. She's been for friends birthdays and what not. I know I would love the food but I can't stand the scene at places like River Oaks District and huge built in upcharges on food, valet, etc.
br53
WILLIS said:

My wife really likes Le Colonial but I've still never been. She's been for friends birthdays and what not. I know I would love the food but I can't stand the scene at places like River Oaks District and huge built in upcharges on food, valet, etc.
I didnt think it was bad because the scenery was good and the people were fairly normal for that part of town. Food was really good. I love people watching down there. Thursday I went to Bosscat. They have the very best bourbon/whiskey selection in this city.
br53
CammoTX said:

Anyone eaten at The Warwick? It's at old Houston's restaurant site.
No not yet
WILLIS
I'll have to give it a shot. Probably sounded too grumpy. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff in RO District. I definitely love a classy restaurant tucked away a bit more? State of Grace might be a better example of what my preference would be on setting and location. Or the old Benjy's in Rice Village. Gosh I miss that place. RIP.
br53
WILLIS said:

I'll have to give it a shot. Probably sounded too grumpy. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff in RO District. I definitely love a classy restaurant tucked away a bit more? State of Grace might be a better example of what my preference would be on setting and location. Or the old Benjy's in Rice Village. Gosh I miss that place. RIP.
I loved Benjy's and State of Grace is good too. Find a sitter and lets meet one afternoon for some whiskey at BossCat.
FranchiseBear
I think Le Colonial food and atmosphere is very good. Take some time and grab drink in the 2nd floor bar before dinner - cool setting in my opinion.

I do understand Willis's comment about the scene at River Oaks District... it is not my deal either but don't miss out on Le Colonial.
br53
FranchiseBear said:

I think Le Colonial food and atmosphere is very good. Take some time and grab drink in the 2nd floor bar before dinner - cool setting in my opinion.

I do understand Willis's comment about the scene at River Oaks District... it is not my deal either but don't miss out on Le Colonial.

I'm from Mart TX, boys, that scene is funny as hell
CammoTX
br53 said:

WILLIS said:

I loved Benjy's and State of Grace is good too. Find a sitter and lets meet one afternoon for some whiskey at BossCat.

I'll meet y'all. Short walk for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.