Houston area dining talk

98,717 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
BaylorOkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

BaylorOkie said:

Invite me over and I'll eat!

maybe a tailgate next fall?
We'll trust the process together.
BaylorHistory
JusHappy2BeHere said:

BaylorHistory said:

My personal favorite is

Mala Sichuan

IMHO, Mala is the best Chinese Restaurant in town. It's just awesome. I know a few Anglos where scared to try it... I think someone mentioned the crispy intestines being on the menu....

The crispy Sichuan Chicken is so good, but watch out... that Sichuan pepper will make your lips and tongue tingle and maybe go numb for a bit...
I learned about it from everyone bragging about it on ShaggyTexas, but man I had never eaten anything that tasted like the Crispy Sichuan Chicken. Everything we had there was phenomenal.
JusHappy2BeHere
There is a hidden gem in Missouri City called Brandanni's Cocina Italiana. It's got a really good vibe with great service... It's small... about double the size of Da Vinci's in Katy... maybe a little more than double but not much more.... It's just off Hwy 6 and Murphy Rd in the red brick strip center back in behind Capone's Pizza and Bar.

We had an early dinner about 5 and they were not busy, but by the time we left it was full. The food was outstanding and so was the wine.

We started with an off the menu appetizer special of Crab stuffed Tempura Squash Blossoms with a sweet and spicy orange sauce

Natalie had the Gemelli pasta with jumbo lump crab, tear drop tomatoes, roasted corn and finished with a basil cream sauce, and I had the wild caught gulf snapper finished with an orange chili sauce with kumquats served with sauted baby kale and gingered sweet potatoes, ,

We also got a side of Truffle Fries and Brussel Sprouts, then we shared a bread pudding for desert.

It's one of the best meals we have had in Mo City! Give it a chance.

http://www.brandanis.com/
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
Brandani is great. Not Italian, but awesome. I've posted about it before
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

I wondered about the name too... it says Cocina Italiana but other than the pastas the food didn't seem particularly Italian... in fact I saw that many people rave about their fried chicken.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

I wondered about the name too... it says Cocina Italiana but other than the pastas the food didn't seem particularly Italian... in fact I saw that many people rave about their fried chicken.

The fried chicken is fantastic
bularry
Ate at Brandani last night. Fantastic
bularry
Finally got to Theodore Rex a couple weeks ago. Outstanding experience. Wife and I loved it
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Finally got to Theodore Rex a couple weeks ago. Outstanding experience. Wife and I loved it

It's just so good. We've been a handful of times. I'd love to go once a month to see how the menu changes.
CTCBear
T-Rex is fantastic. Since you are willing to get to that part of town, Nancy's Hustle should be next on your list.
bularry
It is on the list
JusHappy2BeHere
If you are anywhere near Fort Bend County.... Alvin to Katy...South Harris County even....

on Murphy Road and Township in Missouri City, is one of the best kept secrets in Houston. It's as fine dinning as anything in town.... It's back in the middle of the Township Strip Center, and has been discussed here in this thread several times....

Brandani's Mo City has been the bomb for awhile, but they are expanding.... this top notch restaurant had the good fortune that the really hip spot next door decided to move to Sienna so they just knocked down the wall between them and took over that space....

Now this small neighborhood spot is bigger and better.

If you are down that way for lunch or dinner, it's worth your time to come eat here.... it's just that good.

https://www.facebook.com/brandanis/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdxSID9_UPFWjRpyUyvoV1hkhNKRvdO2z5Kkne1uqFBUZQ%3AAdwB95kQuteHTmq9ndRMjm0rSCs39-IizX2vG-iDx57IkQ

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
Hit TRex again tonight. They just keep killing it. We just love that place.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Have you been to Better Luck Tomorrow? Awesome place, too for cocktails and light dining
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Have you been to Better Luck Tomorrow? Awesome place, too for cocktails and light dining
It's our go to spot after TRex. We want a couple of months ago a Andrew Zimmern was filming his tv show. We might be on it in the background.
303Bear
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Get their brunch. Morning cocktails are ok, but the hashbrowns and spaghetti sandwich are amazing. Wife loves the matzo ball soup.
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

For those of us down in the greater Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend area. General posts about places we've been or discovered.

For anyone in Sugar Land and Mo City areas, for a nice meal out I highly recommend Brandani's. Really like this place. Good people making really good food.
Brandani's is by far the best in Ft Bend County.... Da Vinci Ristauranti Italiano in Kathy is second..... both rival anything you can get in town....

I'm hearing some good talk about Veritas in Sugar Land... more as a great Happy Hour Meat Market than as a Steak House.....

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

For those of us down in the greater Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend area. General posts about places we've been or discovered.

For anyone in Sugar Land and Mo City areas, for a nice meal out I highly recommend Brandani's. Really like this place. Good people making really good food.
Brandani's is by far the best in Ft Bend County.... Da Vinci Ristauranti Italiano in Kathy is second..... both rival anything you can get in town....

I'm hearing some good talk about Veritas in Sugar Land... more as a great Happy Hour Meat Market than as a Steak House.....

Veritas is pretty average for the price point. Bar scene can be interesting at times
bularry
Went to Night Heron last night. Nice bar. Laid back
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Going to try it out this weekend. We rented a house in the heights for my birthday. We have Nancy's Hustle and BCN for dinner. We plan on hitting Goodtime Charlie's and Night Heron and BLT for some drinks after. Who knows what else. Lots of drinking and eating. Can't wait.
303Bear
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

Going to try it out this weekend. We rented a house in the heights for my birthday. We have Nancy's Hustle and BCN for dinner. We plan on hitting Goodtime Charlie's and Night Heron and BLT for some drinks after. Who knows what else. Lots of drinking and eating. Can't wait.
Where in the Heights is your rental? If you are still in the market for any good bars, The Ready Room is a new addition on White Oak at Studewood. Very nice with good drinks. Cannot speak to the weekend atmosphere as I have only been on a weekday late afternoon/evening.
GoBearsGo
It's a few blocks off 10 past Heights Blvd. Off Washington and Durham. I'll see about checking out the bar.
FranchiseBear
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

May want to check out Tacodeli for breakfast tacos based on your night plans!
Your have some great spots planned - add Heights Bier Garten day or night - great spot rain or shine. One of coolest spots in Heights.
GoBearsGo
Nancy's Hustle was outstanding. We hit up Goodnight Charlie's after and had a blast. Great singer and the people watching was very good. Morningstar for some donuts this am. I think The Pit Room for lunch.
bularry
Speaking of Heights area, ate at Helen in the Heights last weekend. Had a great experience.
JusHappy2BeHere
Have you been to Tea and Victory? It's right next to King's Beer House on TC Jester. It is a Board Game Cafe.... Tapas menu and sandwiches, Craft Coffee, Craft Tea and Craft Beer.... 5 bucks for unlimited game play of any game on their shelf and there are hundreds.... staff knows most of the rules by heart and can help newbies. We did an office Happy Hour there when our receptionist was leaving.... she doesn't drink but loves games.... we had about 25 grown ups playing games from 4-10.... I couldn't believe so many stayed so long.

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
Initial UB Preserve visit last night. Wife and I thought it was great
CTCBear
Tell me you had the crispy rice salad...
bularry
CTCBear said:

Tell me you had the crispy rice salad...

Yes we did!
FranchiseBear
Hit Field & Tide in The Heights Saturday night. Previously had only been there 2x for brunch (great boozy brunch). I was in a party of 3. We ordered 3 entrees and shared them family style - short rib, scallops, fish of the day (Snapper) - all very good. We will be back!
GoBearsGo
We hit Georgia James Sat night and had the baller board. Was great. I'll try to post a photo. Hit Indianola for Sunday brunch. Great food. Can't wait to try dinner there.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

We hit Georgia James Sat night and had the baller board. Was great. I'll try to post a photo. Hit Indianola for Sunday brunch. Great food. Can't wait to try dinner there.

Nice weekend!
J.R.
I live in Dallas, but when in H town....I just must go to Hugo's. That place is spectacular! Also, Houston has strong ethnic food scene.
GoBearsGo
J.R. said:

I live in Dallas, but when in H town....I just must go to Hugo's. That place is spectacular! Also, Houston has strong ethnic food scene.
Try his new place Xochi.
JusHappy2BeHere
Tried Veritas in Sugar Land last night. Nice place. The food was good... I have no complaints over anything we were served, and in fact the Brussel Sprouts might have been the best I've had in quite awhile...

the only downer was that it was about 25% higher than it should have been.

We will go back and maybe try out the Happy Hour menu.

Mahatma Gandhi

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.