Football
Sponsored by

Rhule interviews with the Colts

64,024 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Jacques Strap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Johnny Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Again folks an NFL team is not going to hire him. I'm not sure why he would flash his ass though only a year in. It is clear he is not as loyal as any of our past coaches. He is looking to move up as soon as Baylor has a good season. So yes Mack needs a short list, you my fellow Baylor folks better view this as a two way street. If he is not this loyal, then Baylor doesnt need to be and needs to be fired after the season if it is a losing season.
If he stays, this is the long term lesson we need to take from this. If he ultimately has a successful season or especially if he puts together back to back good seasons, he's gone.
Agree but I've assumed that from the get go. I mean he dreams of coaching in the NFL or Blue Blood U so can't hold that against him. Don't be surprised when he bolts for an opportunity he sees as the next step. We are clearly not the final destination he is seeking. So hoe he wins and if he does enjoy it while it lasts and hope we find another good one.
Bear8084
Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

this is a dumb thread. Any NFL job is better than 95% of college jobs. They reached out to him for Christ's sake. of course he's listen.
This. And Baylor is not a destination job no matter how nice the facilities are or how much it pays its staff.

We learned all of that and predict what future coaches wilk do from one rumored phone call to one coach? Huh, Ok.
Let's rephrase to make it more clear, although that should not be necessary. Baylor was -never- a destination job.

All that and still predicting the future from ONE coach taking a phone call? Wow, the defeatists and Beaten Baylor Syndrome posters are out in force today. I thought the screams and gnashing of teeth was bad last night.

Not that anyone is surprised, but now you're just making stuff up. People knew the Colts INTERVIEWED someone already just nobody knew who it was. Speculation said it was likely a college coach and that's why it was so secretive.

Now ESPN says that person was Rhule and Rhule hasn't said a word, which pretty much confirms it was him and that he's still hoping to land the job. I'm sure he won't get the job, but I'm also sure he'd think he will get the job.

There's a lot of speculation from you in that post. And since when do you take ESPN for absolute truth?
SicThe12
Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

this is a dumb thread. Any NFL job is better than 95% of college jobs. They reached out to him for Christ's sake. of course he's listen.
This. And Baylor is not a destination job no matter how nice the facilities are or how much it pays its staff.

We learned all of that and predict what future coaches wilk do from one rumored phone call to one coach? Huh, Ok.
Let's rephrase to make it more clear, although that should not be necessary. Baylor was -never- a destination job.

All that and still predicting the future from ONE coach taking a phone call? Wow, the defeatists and Beaten Baylor Syndrome posters are out in force today. I thought the screams and gnashing of teeth was bad last night.

Not that anyone is surprised, but now you're just making stuff up. People knew the Colts INTERVIEWED someone already just nobody knew who it was. Speculation said it was likely a college coach and that's why it was so secretive.

Now ESPN says that person was Rhule and Rhule hasn't said a word, which pretty much confirms it was him and that he's still hoping to land the job. I'm sure he won't get the job, but I'm also sure he'd think he will get the job.

There's a lot of speculation from you in that post. And since when do you take ESPN for absolute truth?
where is the speculation?
hangtime79
I don't post, but need to get this off my chest.

• I had no reason to believe that Rhule would stay around. College coaches move on and we are a stepping stone.
  • We had to do the 7 year contract to get him. I get that too, the dumpster fire on University Parks and nuclear radiation from scandal made it necessary.
  • I don't begrudge any college coach that wants to interview with the pros. I think most would.
  • I would not even begrudge Rhule for interviewing with others if he brought us back to 5 - 7 wins and interviewed. ("Hey look what he did at Baylor, must be a miracle worker")

• All that said, I don't condone this interview. Rhule is in the first year of a seven year contract. He won "1" game last year. In my mind, you have to earn some interviews. Last year, he did not earn any interviews. When CAB was thinking about Texas, I think we were all scared - but hey its Texas and we were in decent shape. This, this has zero accomplishment at this point and just has horrible optics. You took an interview when you just arrived? This is like going on an interview for another company when you just took a new job. Can you do it? Sure. Is it bad optics? Absolutely. Is this bad karma? Most definitely.

sigh
    Krieg
    Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I don't, but the everyone is saying the same thing and we have no reason to doubt the story. Maybe this is another, "Hey guys, did you hear I slept in my office?" moment and it's a lame attempt to rally people around him...or It's what the only reports we have said it was 15 hours ago.

If he didn't interview and/or has been told no he'd be committing to Baylor publicly by nightfall yesterday. He hasn't, so he's either the dumbest coach ever or he actually interviewed and is still trying to get that job.
    ColomboLQ
    Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

If ESPN's report isn't true, then all Rhule has to do is come out and definitively say he didn't interview for the job and this all goes away. Why hasn't he done that then?
    PartyBear
    I agree with you hang time. The other problem here is that any reasonable person who is a HC in Rhule's position should know or should have known this was all downside to make this move because a reasonable person in Rhule's current situation would know he isn't getting an NFL HC job right now.
    boognish_bear
    Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I don't, but the everyone is saying the same thing and we have no reason to doubt the story. Maybe this is another, "Hey guys, did you hear I slept in my office?" moment and it's a lame attempt to rally people around him...or It's what the only reports we have said it was 15 hours ago.

If he didn't interview and/or has been told no he'd be committing to Baylor publicly by nightfall yesterday. He hasn't, so he's either the dumbest coach ever or he actually interviewed and is still trying to get that job.

Oh man....I forgot all about the sleeping in his office bit.

Osodecentx
    hangtime79 said:

This, this has zero accomplishment at this point and just has horrible optics. You took an interview when you just arrived? This is like going on an interview for another company when you just took a new job. Can you do it? Sure. Is it bad optics? Absolutely. Is this bad karma? Most definitely.

sigh
    Rudy Feldman
    Johnny Bear
    BellCountyBear said:

Hire Briles back...watch Milli's head explode!
    We're neither smart enough nor courageous enough to do that.
    GShack
    hangtime79 said:

• I had no reason to believe that Rhule would stay around. College coaches move on and we are a stepping stone.
  • We had to do the 7 year contract to get him. I get that too, the dumpster fire on University Parks and nuclear radiation from scandal made it necessary.
  • I don't begrudge any college coach that wants to interview with the pros. I think most would.
  • I would not even begrudge Rhule for interviewing with others if he brought us back to 5 - 7 wins and interviewed. ("Hey look what he did at Baylor, must be a miracle worker")

• All that said, I don't condone this interview. Rhule is in the first year of a seven year contract. He won "1" game last year. In my mind, you have to earn some interviews. Last year, he did not earn any interviews. When CAB was thinking about Texas, I think we were all scared - but hey its Texas and we were in decent shape. This, this has zero accomplishment at this point and just has horrible optics. You took an interview when you just arrived? This is like going on an interview for another company when you just took a new job. Can you do it? Sure. Is it bad optics? Absolutely. Is this bad karma? Most definitely.

sigh

Great summary. Post more.
    Thee University
    Osodecentx said:

hangtime79 said:

TThis, this has zero accomplishment at this point and just has horrible optics. You took an interview when you just arrived? This is like going on an interview for another company when you just took a new job. Can you do it? Sure. Is it bad optics? Absolutely. Is this bad karma? Most definitely.

sigh
    Rudy Feldman
    I knew Rudy Feldman as a coach. Baylor dodged a bullet when he bailed on us.
    BearKamp
    The silence by Rhule camp probably means they are waiting to see if he gets the job first and have a PR spin in place if not.

It would be too easy to just come out and say not true and am committed to Baylor.

It's that simple.
    boognish_bear

Glad to hear he's keeping in touch with the commits so they don't panic.

I guess there is no longer any doubt if the initial ESPN report was credible.
    cowboycwr
    hangtime79 said:

sigh
    People have said very similar things and I disagree slightly on a few points.

Not all college coaches move.

Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. He is the longest tenured coach in college football (FBS) Iowa is not a blue blood school, big name job, etc. But he has stayed....

Bill Snyder (actually has more years at KSU just not in a row)

I could go on and list a bunch of others. Yes the days of coaches doing 30+ years at a school seem to be done but part of that is also because the expectations have changed and fan bases wont be as loyal to coaches after several mediocre years

The point is some like to stay at one school once they get a good thing. Some like to move and keep rebuilding.

Some also seem to like only the college ranks. There are numerous coaches who have been long time college coaches, had several head coaching jobs and seem to have no interest in the pros.
    Pale Rider
    boognish_bear said:

Glad to hear he's keeping in touch with the commits so they don't panic.

I guess there is no longer any doubt if the initial ESPN report was credible.
    Good news.

So much emotional hysteria on these boards.
    Dia del DougO
    Not many college coaches at a similar stage are going to turn down an opportunity to interview with an NFL team.

The spin will be that it proves Rhule knows what he's doing, has serious NFL cred and everybody wants him coaching their team (despite the past season).

I'm not as sure as how the Colts spin will go if the actually emerged as a top candidate there.
    Pale Rider
    Coach needs to make a statement, even if it is extremely brief. Just to clarify!
    boognish_bear
    Dia del DougO said:

Not many college coaches at a similar stage are going to turn down an opportunity to interview with an NFL team.

The spin will be that it proves Rhule knows what he's doing, has serious NFL cred and everybody wants him coaching their team (despite the past season).

I'm not as sure as how the Colts spin will go if the actually emerged as a top candidate there.

I would venture to bet that no NFL franchise in history has ever brought in a new coach coming off a one win season...
    SicThe12
    Let me get this right.. when smoak was saying it was true, he wasn't a reliable source... now that he's saying Rhule was allegedly transparent about looking around.. he's the end all be all in Baylor news... lol

I believe Smoaky but how exactly is what he said a good thing? I mean atleast the kids weren't blind sided. But still.
    Krieg
    Pale Rider said:

Coach needs to make a statement, even if it is extremely brief. Just to clarify!

Clarify what?

"Yes, Baylor Nation, I interviewed for a job I'd rather have, and would still take if they end up offering me. If they hire someone else instead, I'm super excited to be your football coach in 2018!"

He can't say anything without looking even worse until he's out of the running on that job.
    PartyBear
    He frankly needs to ask the Colts to go along with the following: Let me publicly withdraw my name from consideration and say how happy I am to be at Baylor and that your interest in me indicates we are building a great program at Baylor, even though I realize you arent considering me. This deal my agent and I put together to look attractive back fired as you may have noticed. . Please dont comment further or respond to my comment. Just let me get out of this. I do appreciate the courtesy interview however and thank you for it.
    Pale Rider
    Krieg said:

Pale Rider said:

Clarify what?

"Yes, Baylor Nation, I interviewed for a job I'd rather have, and would still take if they end up offering me. If they hire someone else instead, I'm super excited to be your football coach in 2018!"

He can't say anything without looking even worse until he's out of the running on that job.
    easy "K K." He can simply speak from the "horse's mouth" and clarify that he received a call, was flattered/honored to receive a call of inquiry but that his total commitment is to Baylor university and all the young men that have signed on to play football for this great institution of higher learning. No worries. We have just begun.
    That kind of "clarification" would seem quite obvious to me. But that's just me.
    boognish_bear
    YoakDaddy
    Maybe CMR ain't down with building men outside of football...he's not aligned with the mission and just wants to coach.....maybe Gust was right....
    Dia del DougO
    You have to consider the Colts perspective as well. A professional doesn't just go blabbing willy nilly to everyone about a private conversation over a situation in flux that a GM is dealing with. Especially if that professional would like to be considered a candidate for a job at some point in the future, with that GM or any other.

Rhule will talk about it to the media at the appropriate time and give whatever information about it (spin) that is appropriate to divulge (or play up to his benefit) whatever he is at liberty to divulge. He has reportedly already contacted the people that matter about his contact.

We'll know all we need to know soon enough, if we don't already.

Forest Bueller
    boognish_bear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Bear8084 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

How many destination jobs even exist in FBS? We just saw Jimbo leave FSU for Aggy

Bama, USC, tOSU, UT, ND and maybe Michigan and OU.

Penn State working their way back.
    EasyE
    I have said it for several months now. Joey McGuire has the "it" factor, and the guy I am most interested in as a replacement. He has the regional connections which has immediately shown up on the recruiting trail, and he has a history of building a program into a championship level one. He has gotten a taste of how college programs operate, and is on a path (Cedar Hill HC, BU assistant) to a more significant role, much like a previous coach we are all familiar with (Stephenville HC, TT assistant, UH HC, BU HC).
    Quinton
    Too funny.. I trust the bit**** that ran with the disloyalty Briles thing will go off on Rhule. This is a hell of a lot worse with their logic. Generally I don't have a problem with and don't fault a dude for looking but this one even feels weak after one pathetic year. And while selling the religiosity, loyalty, family thing.

Make no mistake this is an obvious signal. If Rhule has some success we will bolt to the league shortly after. Many of us knew this but it couldn't be clearer now.

Just stay consistent. Their better be a lot of those same fans going off on Rhule here. Again.. too funny.
    hodedofome
    boognish_bear said:

Taylor Bryan: As is customary with Baylor, we comment on things that make us look good and keep the things that make us look bad a secret.
    Quinton
    boognish_bear said:

If he's getting interest from the NFL now at 1-11...then we sure as hell won't be able to hang on to him if he actually starts winning a few games
    He will be out the moment he sees decent success (6-6 or better).. see O'Brien who wasn't really any good. The league will bite on one of their own.
    Quinton
    CarelessBear said:

The usual suspects will stay far away from this thread.
    They better not to stay consistent.
    Quinton
    BearKamp said:

This guy was called to Baylor...and perhaps he answered the phone and God said Indy?

Really pathetic. Can't spin this one. He's not doing it for a raise from Baylor obviously.
    Dude is young and the league likes him even with a pathetic performance last year. They will look favorably on anything 6-6 or better. So worst case.. whole system is completely changed by this crew... they go 6-6 ... bolt to the league. And the program has absolutely nothing to show for it.
    Quinton
    Wikstr9 said:

Briles Part Il. Someone is bound to say it
    Its a hell of a lot worse if the logic stays consistent.
    Quinton
    Krieg said:

BUBear24 said:

Haven't loved the past year but respected the recruiting and hoped it would all be put together.

That sad, if he truly interviewed then he would have lost my respect. Don't sell that religious bull**** of being called to a place by God, and then move on in a year. Dick move

You shouldn't have believed him. He's just a football coach selling to an audience. One of my favorite things about Briles was that he seemed genuine. Rhule panders.
    The goofs will eat up any religiosity talk. No questions after that. Its embarrassing but true.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.