Football
Sponsored by

Rhule interviews with the Colts

64,038 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
BaylorProud77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University
Backporch said:

Can we get Jim Grobe on speed dial?
Good one!
PartyBear
What is the reaction of the pay posters to this development? A credible poster from there said at the end of the season that the prevailing sentiment over there by the end of the season was a bowl next season was imperative to continue on with Rhule and those were his biggest backers. I wonder if they feel further burned by him.

Frankly I wonder what Rhoades is thinking right now. I'm absolutely sure it wasnt his plan for his hire to go 1-11 and not run the type of offense Baylor was accustomed to. Now after having to spend the past 4 or 5 months defending his hire (because it is also a self defense) his hire pulls this crap.
SicThe12
Thee University said:

REX said:

X?
Thee?
Mili?
I'm just going to try and gather my thoughts on this one
I am very disappointed.

It causes me to wonder if Rhule knows something bad is about to happen in Waco.

I won't cry about it. Life goes on and we will find a replacement.
This is actually a fair point Thee. Is the shoe about to drop and Rhule wants to get out before he's tied to the mess?

Looking at his background I doubt it though, i'm sure he saw us as another stepping stone and lept at the opportunity.
xiledinok
80sBEAR said:

Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

Oh boy. Thee won't be happy about this betrayal.
True.

I won't be crying over a year from now if it happens. We will find somebody else and continue to rebuild the program.

I think this is a sign that Rhule knows something bad is about to drop.

I thought he was a horrible coach per the experts here.
Something bad is about to drop? What the **ck else can drop? JEEEEZZZZZ!!!!

Art's starts fires (like AFCA), usually catches himself on fire (like AFCA) while the BOR usually let's the fire burn itself out instead of calling in the fire department (adults who put out fires).
Golden Helmet
I'm here to talk Football....didn't know we were arguing.
Doc Holliday
Should have hired Les Miles and a high speed spread OC.
bmili34
What's hilarious is that I think this OP broke this before the insiders at Sicem365, who then cited to the same source as OP. . . Twitter
boognish_bear

"I told the kids in there, I love these kids," Rhule said in his postgame press conference on Saturday. "These kids are warriors. But I really believe God put me here not so things like this didn't happen, I think God put me here because things like this are going to happen.

"I said, you guys told me you want a staff that wasn't going to quit on you. I won't quit on you. Don't you quit on me, but I won't quit on you."
MilliVanilli
Doc Holliday said:

MilliVanilli said:

So what exactly are you arguing except to be argumentative?
How much does Baylor pay for damage control?
You think Baylor cares about what you think? Man, you think highly of yourself.
Backporch
BaylorProud77 said:

I hope not.
It was a joke...sort of.
80sBEAR
xiledinok said:

80sBEAR said:

Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

True.

I won't be crying over a year from now if it happens. We will find somebody else and continue to rebuild the program.

Art's starts fires (like AFCA), usually catches himself on fire (like AFCA) while the BOR usually let's the fire burn itself out instead of calling in the fire department (adults who put out fires).

Art Briles has been gone for almost two years. This is beginning to sound like the "it was George Bush's fault" BS we listened to for eight years. I wonder if it is going to come out that we still have some bad dudes horsing around at 1-11 instead of 11-1? We shall see. Let the sunlight of truth shine.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Great CaesarsGhost
Since he is under contract, doesn't the Colts have to get permission from BU admin to talk to him?
Russell Gym
BCS Bear said:

I admit I had bought into all his rhetoric. What a fool I was.

Hang in there, Sally. Tricks or Treats come only once a year.
Robert Wilson
Great CaesarsGhost said:

Since he is under contract, doesn't the Colts have to get permission from BU admin to talk to him?

Rhoades is a job hopper on rent here. He doesn't care.
GoldenBear007
Rhoades is either stupid or Rhule straight-up duped him into signing him to a 7-year contract.
SicThe12
boognish_bear said:

"I told the kids in there, I love these kids," Rhule said in his postgame press conference on Saturday. "These kids are warriors. But I really believe God put me here not so things like this didn't happen, I think God put me here because things like this are going to happen.

"I said, you guys told me you want a staff that wasn't going to quit on you. I won't quit on you. Don't you quit on me, but I won't quit on you."
He's going to tell someone in an NFL locker room a "tragic story " at half time while down 31-0.

A DT who makes 12 million a year will promptly tell him to shut the @&$! Up
Great CaesarsGhost
I'd like to know the terms of his contract and if there are any buyouts or penalties if he leaves early. Or was BU so desperate for a good coach that they gave him a sweetheart deal with no repercussions.
GoldenBear007
Great CaesarsGhost said:

Rhoades will be on with Smoak tomorrow. Hope Smoak really grills him on this topic.
Thee University
80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

80sBEAR said:

Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

True.

Art Briles has been gone for almost two years. This is beginning to sound like the "it was George Bush's fault" BS we listened to for eight years. I wonder if it is going to come out that we still have some bad dudes horsing around at 1-11 instead of 11-1? We shall see. Let the sunlight of truth shine.
None of this would have happened had Arthur realized he was at Baylor and not TT or UH. We gave him everything and he _______ it up.
Krieg
boognish_bear said:

I'm sure it was true, until it wasn't.

I'd be ok with him looking except for comments like this and the process BS. What a piece of crap that man is when all of this is put together.
GShack
Robert Wilson said:

Great CaesarsGhost said:

Rhoades is a job hopper on rent here. He doesn't care.

You get it. Most don't.
80sBEAR
Thee University said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

80sBEAR said:

Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

True.

None of this would have happened had Arthur realized he was at Baylor and not TT or UH. We gave him everything and he _______ it up.
So you are okay with Matt Rhule interviewing with the Indianapolis Colts? He gets a free pass?
-- Dr. David Garland
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
In hindsight aren't we all thankful that Briles insisted Texas give him the job with no interview required?
Golden Helmet
I'll bet $100 to a $1 that this is all a bunch of **** and the guy didn't even interview....

Good night ladies.

80sBEAR
Golden Helmet said:

I'll bet $100 to a $1 that this is all a bunch of **** and the guy didn't even interview....

Good night ladies.

Fake News? Put out by who? Is Matt Rhule jockeying for a raise?
-- Dr. David Garland
boognish_bear
Baylor's Matt Rhule isn't a fraud for looking at NFL

By Mac Engel tengel@star-telegram.com
Despite a one-win season in his first year at Baylor, football coach Matt Rhule is drawing interest in Indianapolis for the Colts' coaching vacancy.
January 10, 2018 08:43 PM

Matt Rhule prayed long and hard before he left Temple University for Baylor University, and after one year in Waco he's decided that's enough.

Baylor, don't blame him for looking to go.

Per a report from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg, the Indianapolis Colts interviewed Rhule last week for their head coaching vacancy.

When Baylor officially hired Rhule to replace Jim Grobe, and Art Briles, as the full-time head coach on Dec. 7, 2016, I wrote, "Landing the former Temple football coach is a major get for Baylor, but this feels like a temporary hire.

"Although he spent just one year as an NFL assistant with the New York Giants, he credits Tom Coughlin as having the most influence on his career. Rhule just has the look of an NFL guy who is climbing the ladder in college; Baylor best enjoy this charismatic man while it can."

Rhule would have been a fool not to take the interview, and a bigger dummy not to take the job should Colts owner Jim Irsay make him an offer.

The first-year Baylor coach isn't necessarily a fraud as much as he an opportunist, a realist, and another college coach. Rhule took on one of the harder jobs in Power 5 football not named Kansas when he signed a seven-year deal to coach the Bears.

Baylor has a lot to offer recruits, but he is still competing against Texas A&M, Texas, TCU, not to mention Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and whomever Alabama wants in his region.

He's not coaching Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma or Alabama. He potentially could leave Baylor for an NFL head coaching job. That's Greek for, "BYE."

NFL jobs call only every so often, and you don't turn them down. Especially a team that expects to have a healthy Andrew Luck coming back in 2018, and has the third overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The NFL is where he wants to be. Rhule was the New York Giants offensive line coach in 2012, and he went to Temple the following year.

Coaches who post consecutive 10-win seasons at Temple, such as Rhule did in 2015 and 2016, are hard to miss.

With a depleted and young roster left from the rape scandal that engulfed the school, Rhule and Baylor finished 1-10 in his first season in Waco.

Rhule most certainly told everyone in and around the program that he is there for forever. They all say that, and five minutes later are out the door.

Does that make Rhule a liar? No. It's the profession. Of course Rhule thinks he's going to be at Baylor forever, in that moment.

Even if Rhule is not offered the Colts' job, Baylor now knows firmly where it stands with its head football coach. The Bears are but a stop on his way to the NFL.
Doc Holliday
This is how it's going to go:

Matt Rhule will say "it was dumb on my part".

Then we will not have more than 6 wins a season with him the next 4 years and he will move on.
boognish_bear
Golden Helmet said:

Good night ladies.

Then why is Mack letting this fire grow....wouldn't take much for him and CMR to quickly come out with a definitive response if he didn't even interview.
Robert Wilson
Golden Helmet said:

Good night ladies.

Entirely possible. Hope so.
BaylorProud77
Yes that's it! He wants a raise lololololol
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
boognish_bear said:

Baylor's Matt Rhule isn't a fraud for looking at NFL

By Mac Engel tengel@star-telegram.com
Despite a one-win season in his first year at Baylor, football coach Matt Rhule is drawing interest in Indianapolis for the Colts' coaching vacancy.
January 10, 2018 08:43 PM

Matt Rhule prayed long and hard before he left Temple University for Baylor University, and after one year in Waco he's decided that's enough.

Baylor, don't blame him for looking to go.

Per a report from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg, the Indianapolis Colts interviewed Rhule last week for their head coaching vacancy.

When Baylor officially hired Rhule to replace Jim Grobe, and Art Briles, as the full-time head coach on Dec. 7, 2016, I wrote, "Landing the former Temple football coach is a major get for Baylor, but this feels like a temporary hire.

"Although he spent just one year as an NFL assistant with the New York Giants, he credits Tom Coughlin as having the most influence on his career. Rhule just has the look of an NFL guy who is climbing the ladder in college; Baylor best enjoy this charismatic man while it can."

Rhule would have been a fool not to take the interview, and a bigger dummy not to take the job should Colts owner Jim Irsay make him an offer.

The first-year Baylor coach isn't necessarily a fraud as much as he an opportunist, a realist, and another college coach. Rhule took on one of the harder jobs in Power 5 football not named Kansas when he signed a seven-year deal to coach the Bears.

Baylor has a lot to offer recruits, but he is still competing against Texas A&M, Texas, TCU, not to mention Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and whomever Alabama wants in his region.

He's not coaching Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma or Alabama. He potentially could leave Baylor for an NFL head coaching job. That's Greek for, "BYE."

NFL jobs call only every so often, and you don't turn them down. Especially a team that expects to have a healthy Andrew Luck coming back in 2018, and has the third overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The NFL is where he wants to be. Rhule was the New York Giants offensive line coach in 2012, and he went to Temple the following year.

Coaches who post consecutive 10-win seasons at Temple, such as Rhule did in 2015 and 2016, are hard to miss.

With a depleted and young roster left from the rape scandal that engulfed the school, Rhule and Baylor finished 1-10 in his first season in Waco.

Rhule most certainly told everyone in and around the program that he is there for forever. They all say that, and five minutes later are out the door.

Does that make Rhule a liar? No. It's the profession. Of course Rhule thinks he's going to be at Baylor forever, in that moment.

Even if Rhule is not offered the Colts' job, Baylor now knows firmly where it stands with its head football coach. The Bears are but a stop on his way to the NFL.

So since Engel thinks CAB deserves another shot, do we have his blessing to ... you know?
SicThe12
Robert Wilson said:

Golden Helmet said:

Good night ladies.

Entirely possible. Hope so.
Smoak confirmed it though. How possible is it really?
Krieg
How many losses before we hear, "You know, I chose to stay here when I had other opportunities because it would be hard not because I thought it would be easy!"
oldbear69

Whether jersey jumps or not,,,,he's done,,,,he's created his own pr nightmare.....how hard to hire a new guy who can beat abilene juco...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.