Transfer Portal

104,508 Views | 593 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SonOfZuno
74Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Too many chiefs, not enough indians as the old saying goes can be bad (referring to fab five recruits)...also need role players
Brusinbear2001
yes we do but we are losing are chief and then the vice president that we would love to run everything through to get going lol. And then we are losing J LEW who gets bucketsssss when we need her she is awesome so we have room for a chief but they have to fit the culture.
Adriacus Peratuun
BaylorBears_254 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

74Bear said:

Some only think they understand recruiting. You can NOT just sit and wait until all come out. The majority will be taken and you will be left to live or die by the final few. And, very possibly wind up with a short bench like this year. Get a couple as they start coming out, get a couple later.
Not a great idea to grab bodies simply to have bodies. This year for Baylor WBB is a great example of how one malcontent can poison the atmosphere.

Not every player need be a star, but every player has to be given a playing time/role projection and buy into that projection. Unhappiness is contagious.

Correct me if Im wrong Adriacus, but weren't you one of the ones that stated NC inherited a broken roster, and that this wasn't good? Now it's a good thing because having too many players will cause a ton of frustration?

If so, this speaks volumes, as when Kim would only recruit 1-2 players a year, posters thought the sky was falling and that she was losing her touch, when in actuality, its just never good to stack up on multiple recruits (at least in Women's Basketball), with an example being the Fab 5 that Mulkey recruited.
You are wrong and taking what I posted out of context.

The roster was problematic. Rosters need to be at least 12 players [and preferably 14 if containing developmental players].

But every player needs to buy into their role: star, starter, rotation piece, next player up, developing, etc.
You are acting as though the two concepts are in opposition…..not true.

And you are clearly a "Kim" fan…….so not expecting much fair commentary on new staff. FYI, the Every Day of the Season #1 team [USC-East] has quality players stacked at every position.
Lynnp550
All this supposition is just your own wishful thinking, right? I mean, nobody on here thinks his or her input is worth anything to those in charge, right?
Adriacus Peratuun
Lynnp550 said:

All this supposition is just your own wishful thinking, right? I mean, nobody on here thinks his or her input is worth anything to those in charge, right?
Informed conjecture. Not mere speculation.
BaylorBears_254
Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

74Bear said:

Some only think they understand recruiting. You can NOT just sit and wait until all come out. The majority will be taken and you will be left to live or die by the final few. And, very possibly wind up with a short bench like this year. Get a couple as they start coming out, get a couple later.
Not a great idea to grab bodies simply to have bodies. This year for Baylor WBB is a great example of how one malcontent can poison the atmosphere.

Not every player need be a star, but every player has to be given a playing time/role projection and buy into that projection. Unhappiness is contagious.

Correct me if Im wrong Adriacus, but weren't you one of the ones that stated NC inherited a broken roster, and that this wasn't good? Now it's a good thing because having too many players will cause a ton of frustration?

If so, this speaks volumes, as when Kim would only recruit 1-2 players a year, posters thought the sky was falling and that she was losing her touch, when in actuality, its just never good to stack up on multiple recruits (at least in Women's Basketball), with an example being the Fab 5 that Mulkey recruited.
You are wrong and taking what I posted out of context.

The roster was problematic. Rosters need to be at least 12 players [and preferably 14 if containing developmental players].

But every player needs to buy into their role: star, starter, rotation piece, next player up, developing, etc.
You are acting as though the two concepts are in opposition…..not true.

And you are clearly a "Kim" fan…….so not expecting much fair commentary on new staff. FYI, the Every Day of the Season #1 team [USC-East] has quality players stacked at every position.

I agree rosters should never exceed 12. Imo, you only need to go 9 deep anyways.

Every player can't buy into a role if you're constantly recruiting 4-5 stars, thats why the transfer portal is the new wave. You can find 3-4 players, all of which have a distinct play style that will compliment the players that are already on the team.

I'm a fan of anyone who has been a proven coach. You're a Kim "hater" obviously, yet I still choose to have somewhat of a conversation with you. I've given NC and the staff many praises. Haven't seen it from you with Kim, but this isn't about her.

South Carolina also goes through many transfers as well.

No point in stockpiling multiple recruits, when some don't have the mentality to wait their turn, or go through the whole seniority bull*****
BaylorBears_254
Brusinbear2001 said:

yes we do but we are losing are chief and then the vice president that we would love to run everything through to get going lol. And then we are losing J LEW who gets bucketsssss when we need her she is awesome so we have room for a chief but they have to fit the culture.

We should be the suiters for the best 4 transfers available next year. No reason why we shouldn't. Losing Smith in my opinion is the equivalent of losing Griner.
Adriacus Peratuun
If folks want not simply "a" primary source but "the" primary source of Baylor WBB's current roster building process, go back & read Coach Collen's comments beginning from her hire.

1. She looks for size on the perimeter. Not size for O purposes as much as for D purposes. Allows the greatest flexibility on switches.

2. She wants finishers at every position and shooters at [hopefully 5 positions] realistically 4 positions [mobile bigs that can routinely nail jumpers are rare]. But a 5 can be athletic enough to defend and rim run.

3. She wants multiple initiators. And reinitiators at various positions……easier to flow into secondary actions rather than settle for poor shots or pull the ball out to start over.

4. She wants athletic players who can defend whatever switches occur. Switch everything works REALLY well for teams with athleticism and size across the roster.

5. She and her staff are not combing the Transfer Portal, they have staff for that work. They take over down the road.

6. They value roster balance. They don't want the roster clustered with all upperclassmen or lower class men.

7. Culture matters.

My thought, not her comment: hoping that the current staff was not given the "expense transfer" ability arrangement that the prior staff had [for every unused roster spot resulting in savings, you get extra $ to your general budget]. That policy problematically incentivized small roster size. And, in my opinion, is morally questionable since participation via scholarship is at the heart of Title IX.
DanaDane
It's a slow day in the thinking department for me. Could someone please clarify for me: is this young lady someone that the coaching staff has expressed an interest in, or is this just we fans speculating that she is someone we "should" go after?
bawitdaball
DanaDane said:

It's a slow day in the thinking department for me. Could someone please clarify for me: is this young lady someone that the coaching staff has expressed an interest in, or is this just we fans speculating that she is someone we "should" go after?

Fans wanting the most recent name in the portal … knowing nothing.
Lynnp550
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

No
Adriacus Peratuun
Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

No

Time to buy a dictionary.

or are you denying that every part of the public has almost a year's worth of public statements, player substitutions, substitution patterns, half court offensive actions/design, game play, etc. upon which to inform conjecture?
Big Bear
Only 80 are power 5.
Lynnp550
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

No

or are you denying that every part of the public has almost a year's worth of public statements, player substitutions, substitution patterns, half court offensive actions/design, game play, etc. upon which to inform conjecture?
"Informed conjecture" is an oxymoron, dearie. Time to head to the library.
Baylorkid
Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

No

AP is the most annoying person ever!
BUBBFAN
Baylorkid said:

Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

No

Maybe annoying to some, but most of the time very informative. If you listen.
Baylorkid
BUBBFAN said:

Baylorkid said:

Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

No

Maybe annoying to some, but most of the time very informative. If you listen.

Yeah see I don't listen to arrogance
Adriacus Peratuun
Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lynnp550 said:

No

Partial or incomplete "information" is part of the textbook definition of the word conjecture. Maybe you should learn the definition of oxymoron [contradictory or incongruous].
Olympia3
Regardless, we need two maybe 3 players from the portal. We have 9 players for next year. 9.

We need more. So, with the signees and Bickle and Jamee we need at minimum of 2 players to get us a bit of depth.

So portal speculation here we go.
Dr. J
Dr. J said:

Is this the part of the forum where we excitedly sniff at every name that enters the portal? I would be more patient and wait as the tourney unfolds. There will be more quality names that enter. Oregon is usually good for 2-3 transfers out every year and they just lost.
I hate to quote myself but.....

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33552849/oregon-women-basketball-coach-kelly-graves-calls-players-ducks-fall-2ot

This is where it begins for Kelly Graves....calling out players publicly instead of privately. Never liked him as a coach and his real talent laid in his assistant, Mark Campbell, who is now the HC at Sac State. Guess he is feeling the pressure of the "million dollar college coaches club" with his new extension to 2029.

I sure would like Paopao and Sabally on a wish list.....if they want to play for a WNBA coach.....just sayin.....

Brusinbear2001
i believe Sabally is going to the draft… from post she has had on social media it is hinting to that
bowdedg
Raoul: Into the portal out of TCU WBB:
Tavy Diggs, 6-2 JR wing, Richardson, TX
Aja Holmes, 5-8 SO guard, Cibolo, TX
Yo'Myris "Yummy" Morris, 6-3 SR forward, North Little Rock, AR (grad xfer)

Wonder what's going on here. Is Pebley leaving? We could use Yummy.
itsjuzme
Dr. J said:

Dr. J said:

Is this the part of the forum where we excitedly sniff at every name that enters the portal? I would be more patient and wait as the tourney unfolds. There will be more quality names that enter. Oregon is usually good for 2-3 transfers out every year and they just lost.
I hate to quote myself but.....

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33552849/oregon-women-basketball-coach-kelly-graves-calls-players-ducks-fall-2ot

This is where it begins for Kelly Graves....calling out players publicly instead of privately. Never liked him as a coach and his real talent laid in his assistant, Mark Campbell, who is now the HC at Sac State.

Agreed. He's an a-hole and always has been.
Brusinbear2001

I had a feeling this was going to happen this is who we need to go after HARD!!!! She traded bucket for bucket with Lyss
blackie
Brusinbear2001 said:

I had a feeling this was going to happen this is who we need to go after HARD!!!! She traded bucket for bucket with Lyss
It would be nice to know why players want to transfer. You could be going after a great player that is a team disruptor. I guess the coaches have the grapevines to have a good idea.
ScottS
blackie said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

It would be nice to know why players want to transfer. You could be going after a great player that is a team disruptor. I guess the coaches have the grapevines to have a good idea.

I trust CNC to make this kind of decision.
Brusinbear2001
i know she had issues with the coach and then a previous player before the nit and finished the season out. I heard she like had a team violation of rules did what she had to do to be cleared and then still got sat out because coach wanted to prove some point.
bawitdaball
blackie said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

Players talk. And it is discussed with any and all possible recruit. But that info should never be made public or known by a fan base. Kids deserve that much.
Dcheetah
She is a great player and rebounder and one I hoped we would pursue if she is a good fit. We could use the rebounding help and she led the SEC at 6'0"!
Brusinbear2001
and she is a 6'0 guard played post out of necessity
bowdedg
The Carr's are in the transfer portal as Grad. transfers.

Christianna Carr is a 6-1 guard and Chrislyn Carr is a 5-5 guard.

Wonder if they are heading to LSU?
Brusinbear2001
I think Mulkey is the last one that will let them be in a relationship and play together
Noghri
ScottS said:

blackie said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

I trust CNC to make this kind of decision.

I don't
I expect her to post a poll on SicEm365.
We need a voice!!!
bowdedg
Brusinbear2001 said:

I think Mulkey is the last one that will let them be in a relationship and play together
Mulkey has not had issues with relationships before. What I hear, it was allowed as long as it didn't interfere with the team.
Dcheetah

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.