"Mostly peaceful" protester/tourist sentenced to 5 years for visiting the Capitol

24,532 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Fla. man sentenced to 5 years for attacking police, the longest Jan. 6 riot sentence yet
Robert S. Palmer watched and cheered rioters, then joined front of mob and hurled fire extinguisher, plank and long pole at police.
A man who watched and cheered the Capitol riot, then moved to the front of the mob and hurled a fire extinguisher, a plank and a long pole at officers, was sentenced Friday to more than five years in federal prison, the longest sentence given so far to someone charged in the Jan. 6 attack.
Robert S. Palmer, 54, of Largo, Fla., pleaded guilty in October to assaulting law enforcement officers with a dangerous weapon, and his original plea agreement called for a sentencing range of 46 to 57 months. But after his plea, and his entry into the D.C. jail, Palmer arranged to make an online fundraising plea in which he said he did "go on the defense and throw a fire extinguisher at the police" after being shot with rubber bullets and tear gas.
That was a lie, Palmer admitted Friday. He had thrown a fire extinguisher twice a large plank and then a four- to six-foot pole at police before he was struck with one rubber bullet. The lie indicated a failure to accept responsibility for his actions, prosecutors argued, and when U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan agreed, she increased his sentencing range to 63 to 78 months, ultimately imposing a 63-month term.
"Look behind you," Chutkan instructed Palmer in the courtroom. "Those are U.S. marshals. They ran from this courthouse. They put themselves in danger to protect the occupants of the Capitol. That's what they're sworn to do. They're the patriots. The people working in the Capitol that night, they are patriots. Doing what they get paid to do, they didn't know if they were going to come out of there alive that night."
Palmer said, "I'm really, really ashamed of what I did."
He said that while in jail he saw footage of himself on an MSNBC news program.
"I was horrified, absolutely devastated to see myself on there," Palmer said.
In a letter to the judge last month, he wrote, "I realize that we, meaning Trump supporters, were lied to by those that at the time had great power, meaning the sitting president as well as those acting on his behalf."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/12/17/palmer-sentenced-fire-extinguisher-jan-6/

You described him as "mostly peaceful," but I don't see that in the article, nor did I see anyone describe hum as such. In fact, it would appear otherwise - this guy was violent and needed to be locked up.

Are you using this one case to try and make a larger point that January 6th wasn't mostly peaceful? If so, can you explain the logic behind your logical fallacy?
The "mostly peaceful" was meant as irony. It is quoting some on this board who made the same logical fallacy as those who characterized Portland riots as mostly peaceful.

He wasn't peaceful all, nor were the rioters in Portland
The facts disagree with you on this. The vast majority of the protestors were peaceful. We can see this in the charges brought against the protestors, and in the videos. Relatively speaking, there was only a small percentage that got violent. One case doesn't prove your point (which was my point).

I can't believe you are actually disputing these facts. May need to check your sources.
Are you speaking of Portland or DC?
DC of course. No clue about Portland.

Do you have some evidence regarding the Portland protests you would like to share?
The arguments defending or explaining away riot in Portland are the same used to defend or explain away the insurrection in DC
Ah, so you were trying to be ironic again. Bless your heart.

I recall some commentators and media pundits calling the BLM protests mostly peaceful. Of course, given the millions in damages property, injuries, and murders over the course of a several month period, that claim remains questionable, though I suppose that if most of the protestors were peaceful, technically it was a mostly peaceful protest.

It's interesting you think the months long BLM protests were comparable to Jan. 6th. It's almost as if you have a narrative to uphold.
No, it's interesting to me that you both (BLM and 1/6 apologists) use the same argument
Am I a 1/6 "apologist" for not believing the narrative - as you do - that January 6th was a violent insurrection?

Using the same argument as BLM supporters would be a lot more ironic if 1/6 and the BLM protests were remotely comparable.
yes

Then I have given you too much credit. You're a binary thinker unable to stand nuance. I thought you were smarter.

For the record (to those with a brain and able to reason), I've never defended 1/6. Never. I simply refuse to buy the narrative of the media it was a violent insurrection. It wasn't, and only the intellectually dishonest suggest otherwise.

Not everything is an either/or, just FYI. If you can comprehend that, you will fare better on these boards and in life.
Mothra
Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Fla. man sentenced to 5 years for attacking police, the longest Jan. 6 riot sentence yet
Robert S. Palmer watched and cheered rioters, then joined front of mob and hurled fire extinguisher, plank and long pole at police.
A man who watched and cheered the Capitol riot, then moved to the front of the mob and hurled a fire extinguisher, a plank and a long pole at officers, was sentenced Friday to more than five years in federal prison, the longest sentence given so far to someone charged in the Jan. 6 attack.
Robert S. Palmer, 54, of Largo, Fla., pleaded guilty in October to assaulting law enforcement officers with a dangerous weapon, and his original plea agreement called for a sentencing range of 46 to 57 months. But after his plea, and his entry into the D.C. jail, Palmer arranged to make an online fundraising plea in which he said he did "go on the defense and throw a fire extinguisher at the police" after being shot with rubber bullets and tear gas.
That was a lie, Palmer admitted Friday. He had thrown a fire extinguisher twice a large plank and then a four- to six-foot pole at police before he was struck with one rubber bullet. The lie indicated a failure to accept responsibility for his actions, prosecutors argued, and when U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan agreed, she increased his sentencing range to 63 to 78 months, ultimately imposing a 63-month term.
"Look behind you," Chutkan instructed Palmer in the courtroom. "Those are U.S. marshals. They ran from this courthouse. They put themselves in danger to protect the occupants of the Capitol. That's what they're sworn to do. They're the patriots. The people working in the Capitol that night, they are patriots. Doing what they get paid to do, they didn't know if they were going to come out of there alive that night."
In a letter to the judge last month, he wrote, "I realize that we, meaning Trump supporters, were lied to by those that at the time had great power, meaning the sitting president as well as those acting on his behalf."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/12/17/palmer-sentenced-fire-extinguisher-jan-6/

You described him as "mostly peaceful," but I don't see that in the article, nor did I see anyone describe hum as such. In fact, it would appear otherwise - this guy was violent and needed to be locked up.

Are you using this one case to try and make a larger point that January 6th wasn't mostly peaceful? If so, can you explain the logic behind your logical fallacy?
The "mostly peaceful" was meant as irony. It is quoting some on this board who made the same logical fallacy as those who characterized Portland riots as mostly peaceful.

The facts disagree with you on this. The vast majority of the protestors were peaceful. We can see this in the charges brought against the protestors, and in the videos. Relatively speaking, there was only a small percentage that got violent. One case doesn't prove your point (which was my point).

I can't believe you are actually disputing these facts. May need to check your sources.

Do you have some evidence regarding the Portland protests you would like to share?
The arguments defending or explaining away riot in Portland are the same used to defend or explain away the insurrection in DC

I recall some commentators and media pundits calling the BLM protests mostly peaceful. Of course, given the millions in damages property, injuries, and murders over the course of a several month period, that claim remains questionable, though I suppose that if most of the protestors were peaceful, technically it was a mostly peaceful protest.

It's interesting you think the months long BLM protests were comparable to Jan. 6th. It's almost as if you have a narrative to uphold.
No, it's interesting to me that you both (BLM and 1/6 apologists) use the same argument
Am I a 1/6 "apologist" for not believing the narrative - as you do - that January 6th was a violent insurrection?

Using the same argument as BLM supporters would be a lot more ironic if 1/6 and the BLM protests were remotely comparable.
yes
They are

You are an imbecile.
I think it's delusion cause by TDS more than anything. People are so triggered by the man, it literally inhibits their ability to reason and think logically. I can't tell you how many people I've encountered like Oso - educated people who literally turn into dolts anytime the guy's name is mentioned.

I have cousins who believe Trump is going to figure out a way to cement himself as dictator in 2024, with Russia's help. You simply can't reason with them.
quash
Canon said:

ATL Bear said:

People who assault law enforcement officers deserve criminal punishment. It's not that hard to understand.
True. It would be nice if leftists didn't virtually always escape this punishment entirely.

I stopped keeping track in Seattle after the 200th arrest. How many would it take for you to drop the "always"?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Harrison Bergeron
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

Then I have given you too much credit. You're a binary thinker unable to stand nuance. I thought you were smarter.

For the record (to those with a brain and able to reason), I've never defended 1/6. Never. I simply refuse to buy the narrative of the media it was a violent insurrection. It wasn't, and only the intellectually dishonest suggest otherwise.

Not everything is an either/or, just FYI. If you can comprehend that, you will fare better on these boards and in life.
This 100%. It is possible to think Jan. 6 was both horrible and not an insurrection or a threat to democracy. Idiots that call it an insurrection are the same people that scream "Muslim ban," "kids in cages," and RACISM! in general.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

140 police injured in the "peaceful protest"
Gold Tron
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

Now do the math on police officers injured by BLM protests.
quash
Gold Tron said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

Protests? Zero.

Let's quit painting so broadly and tighten up our language.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Gold Tron
quash said:

Gold Tron said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

Protests? Zero.

Excuse me, BLM Riots. Officers all across the country were attacked with bricks and all sorts of thrown items.
quash
Gold Tron said:

quash said:

Gold Tron said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

Protests? Zero.

Excuse me, BLM Riots. Officers all across the country were attacked with bricks and all sorts of thrown items.

Thank you.
Osodecentx
Gold Tron said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

I don't know, but I condemn that violence. BLM riots had a lot of violence
Canon
quash said:

Canon said:

ATL Bear said:

People who assault law enforcement officers deserve criminal punishment. It's not that hard to understand.
True. It would be nice if leftists didn't virtually always escape this punishment entirely.

I stopped keeping track in Seattle after the 200th arrest. How many would it take for you to drop the "always"?

You don't seem to grasp entire sentences.
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

Relevance to our discussion, if you know?
Mothra
quash said:

Gold Tron said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

Protests? Zero.

Mothra
Harrison Bergeron said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

This 100%. It is possible to think Jan. 6 was both horrible and not an insurrection or a threat to democracy. Idiots that call it an insurrection are the same people that scream "Muslim ban," "kids in cages," and RACISM! in general.
That kind of nuance is lost on posters like Oso. They just can see past the Trump Derangement Syndrome. It affects everything.

In either regard, you're treading on dangerous ground. Soon, you'll be labeled an apologist for failing to agree with their narrative

What's ironic is I don't recall anyone condoning either Jan. 6th or the violence (and it was indisputably violent at times). Does that make it a violent insurrection? Of course not.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes

That kind of nuance is lost on posters like Oso. They just can see past the Trump Derangement Syndrome. It affects everything.

In either regard, you're treading on dangerous ground. Soon, you'll be labeled an apologist for failing to agree with their narrative

What's ironic is I don't recall anyone condoning either Jan. 6th or the violence (and it was indisputably violent at times). Does that make it a violent insurrection? Of course not.
You're excusing people who tried to overturn an election.
You tell us you don't like or support Trump and wish he would go away. TDS?
Mothra
I think anyone who broke the law and committed violence on Jan. 6th needs to be held accountable. I've said that from day one. So, how is that "excusing" them?

Like you, I do wish Trump would go away. The difference between us is I don't let my personal dislike of the man make me nuts. I still have the ability to think rationally.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

I think anyone who broke the law and committed violence on Jan. 6th needs to be held accountable. I've said that from day one. So, how is that "excusing" them?

Like you, I do wish Trump would go away. The difference between us is I don't let my personal dislike of the man make me nuts. I still have the ability to think rationally.
You're allegiance to your narrative determines your response

Video of mostly peaceful Jan 6 insurrection
HBO trailer 2 hours of mostly peaceful mob

Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

I notice you didn't answer my question. Let me repeat it in case you missed it.

How is not believing this was a violent insurrection excusing the protestors who committed violence?

The only one married to a narrative here is you, bro.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

How is not believing this was a violent insurrection excusing the protestors who committed violence?

Cool answer, Bro
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro
Are you scared to answer my question? Too difficult for you?

Huh. Never figured you for a coward.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.
This was an insurrection trying to install the losing candidate as POTUS

You're spiinning Trump's narrative

Did I answer your question?
ATL Bear
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

How could they have installed the losing candidate?
Osodecentx
ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

I don't think they could. They believed they could.
A stupid bank robber still tried to rob the bank
ATL Bear
Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

Harassing the tellers and the manager doesn't make you a bank robber.
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

It was indeed violent Listen to Capitol Police. Our eyes don't lie. 1/6 was violent and an insurrection
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

It was indeed violent Listen to Capitol Police. Our eyes don't lie. 1/6 was violent and an insurrection
RIP Ashley Babbitt. Should you ****ers attempt to steal another election, you are gonna see what a REAL insurrection looks like! That is not a threat. It is a promise.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

What about throwing hammers, injuring 140 policemen, violently breaking in, and disrupting a Constitutionally delegated duty at the direction of the losing candidate?
ATL Bear
Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

What about throwing hammers, injuring 140 policemen, violently breaking in, and disrupting a Constitutionally delegated duty at the direction of the losing candidate?
Yeah, they harassed the hell out of them. That's what rioters do.
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

To answer your question, I'm not sure. Your answer is not exactly clear or cogent.

To clarify, because I believe in a fiction (i.e that the protest could not be characterized as a "violent insurrection"), that means I'm excusing the protestors who committed violence even though I said they need to be brought to justice? So it's not enough for me to want them to be prosecuted. I must also believe they are violent insurrectionists or otherwise I'm somehow "excusing them," whatever you mean by that?

I'm also not sure what you mean by I'm spinning Trump's narrative. What is Trump's narrative and how am I spinning it?
Mothra
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

To answer your question, I'm not sure. Your answer is not exactly clear or cogent.

To clarify, because I believe in a fiction (i.e that the protest could not be characterized as a "violent insurrection"), that means I'm excusing the protestors who committed violence even though I said they need to be brought to justice? So it's not enough for me to want them to be prosecuted. I must also believe they are violent insurrectionists or otherwise I'm somehow "excusing them," whatever you mean by that?

I'm also not sure what you mean by I'm spinning Trump's narrative. What is Trump's narrative and how am I spinning it?
Osodecentx
ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Cool answer, Bro

It's a fiction.

Yeah, they harassed the hell out of them. That's what rioters do.
Rioters "harassed" police?
Porteroso
Why is anyone adding the "violent" insurrection qualifier? Some attempt to muddy the waters?

It was definitely an insurrection. The mob had the stated purpose of overthrowing the election, arresting Pelosi, a few wanted to hang the Vice President. That's just what insurrections are.
Canon
Porteroso said:

It was definitely an insurrection.
Only morons believe this.
Osodecentx
Porteroso said:

Why is anyone adding the "violent" insurrection qualifier? Some attempt to muddy the waters?

It was definitely an insurrection. The mob had the stated purpose of overthrowing the election, arresting Pelosi, a few wanted to hang the Vice President. That's just what insurrections are.
No doubt about it. They handed Pelosi and Schumer a big stick with which to hit us

I guess hanging the VP would have been described as "really harassing"
Mothra
Porteroso said:

Everyone in that crowd wanted to overthrow the election? Interesting. Link?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.