Trump vs Desantis

18,019 Views | 392 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear said:

It'll be interesting to see how this evolves in the months ahead.

Trump goes off on Desantis. He put all of this on his Truth Social too about an hour ago.

Statement correctly highlighted the fallacy of all the post-election attacks against Trump/Trumpism - it's hard to say Trumpism is the problem when Trump 2.0 was the big winner of the night.

Trump survived that barrage and his polling has (as I predicted) returned to historic ranges. Trumps own internals show a pathway to the nomination, but not a pathway to the general. He doesn't believe his own polling, meaning he believes in his ability to force changes to dynamics. Might not be likely, but he's done so before (was in far worse position in 2016 than now).

Have a profound donor friend who wants to move on from Trump. Asked me what a path forward looked like. I said that now that Haley is in the race, she has a good chance to win SC. And DeSantis will likely win FL. So the task is to convince Chris Sununu to enter the race at least as far as NH, which he could win, then to throw all the cards into the most viable candidate in Iowa. The goal would be to keep Trump from winning any of the first four primaries. That will weaken his candidacy enough, assuming others agree to drop out in timely fashion, to give DeSantis a shot down the stretch.

But all that assumes situation in 12 months looks similar to now.
It won't.
boognish_bear
Trump trying to drag Desantis on Truth Social.

With Trumps's association with Jeffrey Epstein this may not be a hornets nest he needs to be kicking.

DancinBear09
The GOP is really in a tough bind with the DeSantis/Trump situation right now. It's a difficult situation because your choice is to begrudgingly endorse Trump and deal with his bull**** and not a guaranteed election win…or endorse DeSantis, and if he beats Trump in the primary, Trump's biggest goal will be to take the ship down with him. He will claim fraud, label everyone in his way as a RINO, run as an Independent, and pull a Ross Perot 2.0 just because he is a narcissistic putz. I guess it's kind of what you get for getting in bed with Trump though.
boognish_bear
Figured this wouldn't be far behind

Ghostrider
https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d37ba/trump-koch-network-club-for-growth-megadonors

This will really hurt Trump.
whiterock
Ghostrider said:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d37ba/trump-koch-network-club-for-growth-megadonors

won't hurt him as much as you might think in the primary. Everybody knows him and he's nearly unassailable with polls showing him in the 40-50% range.

It's the general where it would really matter......IF Trump wins the primaries (which is at the moment what is most likely to happen), will the donors who didn't back him in the primary step up to the plate for the general election?....or will they close their wallets and sit on them? That is a valid concern here.

I suspect that question is a big part of the reason why Trump endorsed McDaniel for party chairman - retaining ties to establishment donor networks.
boognish_bear
90sBear
boognish_bear said:

Good response
Mitch Blood Green
Ghostrider said:

IMO, it won't. I believe the money will flow to Trump if he's s winning primaries.

No means not in February 2023.
boognish_bear
Mothra
boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.
jimdue
Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.
A dumbass for sure but also very predictable behavior. Once it is obvious that he is not getting the nomination, he will definitely try to burn the place down.
Mothra
jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.
A dumbass for sure but also very predictable behavior. Once it is obvious that he is not getting the nomination, he will definitely try to burn the place down.
So many outright lies. The Lincoln Project has been railing against DeSantis for 3 years.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he runs third party if he doesn't get the nom. Such a petulant little child.

whiterock thinks these sort of attacks will be successful, though.
4th and Inches
jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.
i was thinking he was continuing to grift his base without actually trying to win the job again
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Harrison Bergeron
So far DeSantis is doing a good job ignoring Trump. His schtick is to get under people's skin and throw them off - I'm sure he'll attack his family, his wife, etc. I hope DeSantis does not fall into the trap - one can ignore him and not come off as not defending his family ... I think DeSantis is clever enough to walk that line.
whiterock
Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.
So many outright lies. The Lincoln Project has been railing against DeSantis for 3 years.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he runs third party if he doesn't get the nom. Such a petulant little child.

how many points do they have to shave off to be successful?

remember what I told you months ago about one of the biggest problems RDS faces: he's never run for national office. He doesn't have true nationwide name ID outside of the GOP universe. The process of "introducing" him to the public has already begun, by his opponents, on both sides of the aisle. Millions of people will be introduced to him in the most negative of terms. His negatives will rise from where they are today. Maybe a little. Maybe a lot. The question is, how does he deal with that. CAN he deal with that and still run FL as Gov. As his negative rise, can he maintain or grow his positives?

Now, before you get all buzz-sawed up on the foregoing paragraph, let me say that RDS is very talented. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he emerged from that in a better position than he is today. But it will be a gauntlet. And he's starting off 15-points behind, give or take a few points.

If he can pull it off, he will be unstoppable.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.
My biggest fear is that he goes third party and pulls a Ross Perot.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

remember what I told you months ago about one of the biggest problems RDS faces: he's never run for national office. He doesn't have true nationwide name ID outside of the GOP universe. The process of "introducing" him to the public has already begun, by his opponents, on both sides of the aisle. Millions of people will be introduced to him in the most negative of terms. His negatives will rise from where they are today. Maybe a little. Maybe a lot. The question is, how does he deal with that. CAN he deal with that and still run FL as Gov. As his negative rise, can he maintain or grow his positives?

Now, before you get all buzz-sawed up on the foregoing paragraph, let me say that RDS is very talented. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he emerged from that in a better position than he is today. But it will be a gauntlet. And he's starting off 15-points behind, give or take a few points.

When Trump states outright lies, kind of hypocritical, don't you think? Here is the guy who coined the phrase :"fake news" because of all of the lies told about him. Yet, when he does it, should we just ignore it, or chalk it up to politics? Is lying ok as long as it is done for political purposes?

I don't disagree with you that RDS has his work cut out for him, and never suggested otherwise. I simply think the personal smears and outright lies damage Trump's credibility - what little semblance he has left, if any.

I am curious how you see the election playing out. Think Trump wins the nomination? Think he beats Biden? What would you say the chances are?
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

When Trump states outright lies, kind of hypocritical, don't you think? Here is the guy who coined the phrase :"fake news" because of all of the lies told about him. Yet, when he does it, should we just ignore it, or chalk it up to politics? Is lying ok as long as it is done for political purposes?

I don't disagree with you that RDS has his work cut out for him, and never suggested otherwise. I simply think the personal smears and outright lies damage Trump's credibility - what little semblance he has left, if any.

I am curious how you see the election playing out. Think Trump wins the nomination? Think he beats Biden? What would you say the chances are?
"lying" is very interesting word. It has one meaning when we're talking about our kids or our spouse - "the truth" has very pure definition. It has an entirely different meaning in politics, where pure truth is the rarest of all things, in both the accusation and the defense. In that political arena, Trump isn't particularly remarkable in the untruth department, and certainly not when compared to the stuff that's made up about him. Smears and outright lies are a part of the game because they are often effective, Trump being a paragon example on the receiving end.

Primary: If Trump holds the polling lead he has now it's almost impossible, mathematically, for anyone else to assemble the requisite number of delegates. I can see a number of scenarios where he cruises to or sneaks by to win. I don't see nearly as many where he gets beat. Something has to fundamentally change. There really is only one guy who has a chance to do it, and that guy is very talented so it's not a tiny chance. Establishment and donors will get behind RDS (which is a two-edged sword), but Trump's base is rock solid, only about 10-points shy of being able to do the job on it's own. Trump won't lose much support, and doesn't have to gain much to cinch it, while the rest of the field will be dividing up the non-Trump vote 5-8 ways. RDS needs a clean field to have an even chance, and he won't have it. So I'd say 60-40 odds Trump wins the nomination is quite a conservative estimate. Similar odds that RDS will be VP nominee. The logic of such a ticket is so obvious - the more news those two make campaigning against each other, the more the gravity of the logic will tend to pull them together.

General: A Trump/DeSantis ticket may well be our best chance to win. I know, I know, I know.....that suggestion has been trashed here before. But what would be a better ticket? RDS & someone else? Yeah, his advantage in favorables (see above) is clear. But it will be difficult for him to hold onto those margins, almost impossible. Will there be any margin left at all on election day? Maybe, maybe not. RDS is a more appealing candidate, but also a riskier candidate....maybe more upside, maybe not. Trump, for all the warts & scars & nonsense, is a known quantity. Not much will change. You know what you have to work on to win. It will be hard, but you have 18 months so get busy. Which task do you want to accept....the known road with a couple of very hard stretches that are passable if you prepare well, or the untried route that may lead to spectacular victory or spectacular loss? Throwing aside a base of 75m voters is not something one does on a whim. My instincts are to hold onto the base we have, despite the flaws of its leader, and sharpen our spears, because scrapping it to work on a cunning plan is usually not a very cunning plan.

Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

"lying" is very interesting word. It has one meaning when we're talking about our kids or our spouse - "the truth" has very pure definition. It has an entirely different meaning in politics, where pure truth is the rarest of all things, in both the accusation and the defense. In that political arena, Trump isn't particularly remarkable in the untruth department, and certainly not when compared to the stuff that's made up about him. Smears and outright lies are a part of the game because they are often effective, Trump being a paragon example on the receiving end.
Sounds like this is a long way of saying, it's ok for Trump to lie for political purposes. Correct me if I am wrong.
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

Primary: If Trump holds the polling lead he has now it's almost impossible, mathematically, for anyone else to assemble the requisite number of delegates. I can see a number of scenarios where he cruises to or sneaks by to win. I don't see nearly as many where he gets beat. Something has to fundamentally change. There really is only one guy who has a chance to do it, and that guy is very talented so it's not a tiny chance. Establishment and donors will get behind RDS (which is a two-edged sword), but Trump's base is rock solid, only about 10-points shy of being able to do the job on it's own. Trump won't lose much support, and doesn't have to gain much to cinch it, while the rest of the field will be dividing up the non-Trump vote 5-8 ways. RDS needs a clean field to have an even chance, and he won't have it. So I'd say 60-40 odds Trump wins the nomination is quite a conservative estimate. Similar odds that RDS will be VP nominee. The logic of such a ticket is so obvious - the more news those two make campaigning against each other, the more the gravity of the logic will tend to pull them together.
Thanks. As for RDS and the VP, little chance of this happening. Trump is far too toxic and could ruin RDS's career, and Trump's ego won't be able to handle someone of RDS's stature taking the limelight away from him.

I suspect it's most likely someone not in the field. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Kari Lake.

And of course, both will badly lose the general election against whomever the Dems put up.
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

General: A Trump/DeSantis ticket may well be our best chance to win. I know, I know, I know.....that suggestion has been trashed here before. But what would be a better ticket? RDS & someone else? Yeah, his advantage in favorables (see above) is clear. But it will be difficult for him to hold onto those margins, almost impossible. Will there be any margin left at all on election day? Maybe, maybe not. RDS is a more appealing candidate, but also a riskier candidate....maybe more upside, maybe not. Trump, for all the warts & scars & nonsense, is a known quantity. Not much will change. You know what you have to work on to win. It will be hard, but you have 18 months so get busy. Which task do you want to accept....the known road with a couple of very hard stretches that are passable if you prepare well, or the untried route that may lead to spectacular victory or spectacular loss? Throwing aside a base of 75m voters is not something one does on a whim. My instincts are to hold onto the base we have, despite the flaws of its leader, and sharpen our spears, because scrapping it to work on a cunning plan is usually not a very cunning plan.
While I disagree with you that RDS will agree to run as VP with Trump, that ticket is preferable to others (though it will never happen).

I am not sure how "risky" it is to run some new blood instead of a 75-year-old loser. Sure, he has a strong base, but that base was just enough to come up short the last election, and would in all likelihood transfer their affections to the Republican nominee, whomever that is. If it's Trump, no reason to believe this election will be any different than the last, with a candidate even less popular than before, unless you know something I don't.

What do you put Trump's chances at? Give me a percentage.
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

Sounds like this is a long way of saying, it's ok for Trump to lie for political purposes. Correct me if I am wrong.
name me one President or Senator or Congressman who has never said something with an intention to mislead critics.
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

While I disagree with you that RDS will agree to run as VP with Trump, that ticket is preferable to others (though it will never happen).

I am not sure how "risky" it is to run some new blood instead of a 75-year-old loser. Sure, he has a strong base, but that base was just enough to come up short the last election, and would in all likelihood transfer their affections to the Republican nominee, whomever that is. If it's Trump, no reason to believe this election will be any different than the last, with a candidate even less popular than before, unless you know something I don't.

VP: if he does not win the nomination, RDS has a calculation to make. What's the best odds to the WH? Joining the ticket has much to commend it. There's always a chance Trump can win. He's in better position to day than he was in 2016. Biden's numbers will likely worsen. And Trump has a 75m voting base to start with. So the odds are better than Trump critics allow, certainly not hopeless. RDS would help. The upside to joining the ticket for RDS is a win/win. If Trump wins, RDS is VP and in the catbird seat for 2028. Possibly only token challenges for the nomination. So what's the "win" if Trump loses? RDS gets national exposure. Connections to all national fundraising networks. Relationships with state and federal officials all across the country. That a better position than sitting out the race. He'll catch some grief for not joining the ticket. Not a lot, but it'll leave a mark with the Trump base (approx 35-40% of the GOP). And when 2028 comes around, he won't be Gov of FL (unless he runs for a 3rd term). He'll be a former Gov of FL. (and what if he runs for a 3rd term and loses?) He won't be able to squeeze as much money out of FL fundraising networks (because he can no longer appoint, or write orders, or sign/veto legislation). It'll be only from a smaller universe of what is personally loyal to him. And he will not have as much nationwide name ID and fundraising and political connections he would have generated as a VP candidate or as sitting Gov. Plus, time will allow other names to rise in prominence. Glenn Youngkin (presuming he continues to do well and is re-elected in 2026) will be stronger politicall, and stronger tactically (running in the middle of his term). TIMING is a big deal. RDS is cresting now. 4 years is an ice-age in politics. planning to wait that long is hardly a high-percentage calculation. Not trying to say it's a slam dunk that he will accept a VP nomination in 2024. Saying that the idea it's a slam-dunk he won't accept a VP invite from Trump is a very hasty conclusion. Yes, he will posture and aver that he will NEVER do it, because he has to remain beyond event horizon - once people start to perceive him more as a VP than POTUS, his race for the nomination is over.

Risk: there is a reason we have a lot of career politicians. Donors and voters know what to expect from someone who's been around a while (particularly donors). Yes, young fresh faces are what everyone says they like. But look at the track record of young & fresh....... Now, RDS is not exactly a newborn infant in the political world, but he has not been subjected to the level of proctology he is going to get as a P/VP candidate. We don't know what might pop out. Contrast that with Trump. We know all the gory details so well they now have to make stuff up, really wild-assed half-cocked stuff to get a new outrage. And he still got 75m votes. The risk with Trump is limited to "will our plan to overcome known negatives work." The risks with a new candidate....an RDS, a Youngkin, a Kemp, a Haley, a Scott, etc......there's a whole universe of stuff we don't know. Running a nationwide campaign is orders of magnitude more difficult than running a statewide campaign. And even if there's no hidden bombs, and only a few smudges on the underwear & holes in the socks....wild-assed half-cocked outrages will be spun from it. Can they survive it? Well, yeah, they should, but they haven't passed the test yet, have they? How will they react? How will their team react? How will their base react? How will crossover voters react? Big question marks. Ted Cruz was adored by his Texas base for being a true believer....you can count on Ted to lead the conservative charge. But Trump tagged him as Lyin' Ted and negated that elsewhere. And the pressure of the campaign caused cracks in his marriage that were not helpful. Not a small step up, running for POTUS. If you have a weakness, it will become glaring. Can you survive? Trump has. The rest we just don't know.

yes, yes, yes.....Trump Trump Trump. But he's weathered all that, and still is leading in the primary and running neck & neck with his likely opponent (and running better than that against less-likely opponents.)

don't let aversion cause you to quit thinking. These things are not as clear cut as your arguments need them to be. Trump is AT his floor. His ceiling is for sure limited. There is no scenario where he wins 49 states. But There is enough ceiling to cover the very close loss he had in 2020. We don't know where the floor or ceiling is with any of the alternatives. Yes, theoretically RDS could out-perform. There's also at least an equal chance the Dems could drive his negatives to Trump levels and win a landslide. RDS does not have a nationwide 75m vote base. He's got to build that. Can he? Your energy to dump Trump leads you to presume many, many things that may not happen......

Haley actually has the "tested" issue in her favor. Yes, SC is a small state, but boy was her first GOV race nasty. She was in some ways she was portrayed as Trump in a skirt (and I'll leave it at that....) . and she sttod like a stone wall. She's not on my preferred list, but I do enormously respect her toughness and what shw weathered in that race is a pretty ggod indicator of sufficient moxie
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

name me one President or Senator or Congressman who has never said something with an intention to mislead critics.
So, your response is to double down on the defense of Trump lying about a fellow Republican by saying Trump's not the only candidate who has lied?

Why am I not at all surprised?
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

VP: if he does not win the nomination, RDS has a calculation to make. What's the best odds to the WH? Joining the ticket has much to commend it. There's always a chance Trump can win. He's in better position to day than he was in 2016. Biden's numbers will likely worsen. And Trump has a 75m voting base to start with. So the odds are better than Trump critics allow, certainly not hopeless. RDS would help. The upside to joining the ticket for RDS is a win/win. If Trump wins, RDS is VP and in the catbird seat for 2028. Possibly only token challenges for the nomination. So what's the "win" if Trump loses? RDS gets national exposure. Connections to all national fundraising networks. Relationships with state and federal officials all across the country. That a better position than sitting out the race. He'll catch some grief for not joining the ticket. Not a lot, but it'll leave a mark with the Trump base (approx 35-40% of the GOP). And when 2028 comes around, he won't be Gov of FL (unless he runs for a 3rd term). He'll be a former Gov of FL. (and what if he runs for a 3rd term and loses?) He won't be able to squeeze as much money out of FL fundraising networks (because he can no longer appoint, or write orders, or sign/veto legislation). It'll be only from a smaller universe of what is personally loyal to him. And he will not have as much nationwide name ID and fundraising and political connections he would have generated as a VP candidate or as sitting Gov. Plus, time will allow other names to rise in prominence. Glenn Youngkin (presuming he continues to do well and is re-elected in 2026) will be stronger politicall, and stronger tactically (running in the middle of his term). TIMING is a big deal. RDS is cresting now. 4 years is an ice-age in politics. planning to wait that long is hardly a high-percentage calculation. Not trying to say it's a slam dunk that he will accept a VP nomination in 2024. Saying that the idea it's a slam-dunk he won't accept a VP invite from Trump is a very hasty conclusion. Yes, he will poster and aver that he will NEVER do it, because he has to remain beyond event horizon - once people start to perceive him more as a VP than POTUS, his race for the nomination is over.

Risk: there is a reason we have a lot of career politicians. Donors and voters know what to expect from someone who's been around a while (particularly donors). Yes, young fresh faces are what everyone says they like. But look at the track record of young & fresh....... Now, RDS is not exactly a newborn infant in the political world, but he has not been subjected to the level of proctology he is going to get as a P/VP candidate. We don't know what might pop out. Contrast that with Trump. We know all the gory details so well they now have to make stuff up, really wild-assed half-cocked stuff to get a new outrage. And he still got 75m votes. The risk with Trump is limited to "will our plan to overcome known negatives work." The risks with a new candidate....an RDS, a Youngkin, a Kemp, a Haley, a Scott, etc......there's a whole universe of stuff we don't know. Running a nationwide campaign is orders of magnitude more difficult than running a statewide campaign. And even if there's no hidden bombs, and only a few smudges on the underwear & holes in the socks....wild-assed half-cocked outrages will be spun from it. Can they survive it? Well, yeah, they should, but they haven't passed the test yet, have they? How will they react? How will their team react? How will their base react? How will crossover voters react? Big question marks. Ted Cruz was adored by his Texas base for being a true believer....you can count on Ted to lead the conservative charge. But Trump tagged him as Lyin' Ted and negated that elsewhere. And the pressure of the campaing caused cracks in his marriage that were not helpful. Not a small step up, running for POTUS. If you have a weakness, it will become glaring. Can you survive? Trump has. The rest we just don't know.

yes, yes, yes.....Trump Trump Trump. But he's weathered all that, and still is leading in the primary and running neck & neck with his likely opponent (and running better than that against less-likely opponents.)

don't let aversion cause you to quit thinking. These things are not as clear cut as your arguments need them to be. Trump is AT his floor. His ceiling is for sure limited. There is no scenario where he wins 49 states. But There is enough ceiling to cover the very close loss he had in 2020. We don't know where the floor or ceiling is with any of the alternatives. Yes, theoretically RDS could out-perform. There's also at least an equal chance the Dems could drive his negatives to Trump levels and win a landslide. RDS does not have a nationwide 75m vote base. He's go to build that. Can he? Your energy to dump Trump leads you to presume many, many things that may not happen......

Haley actually has the "tested" issue in her favor. Yes, SC is a small state, but boy was her first GOV race nasty. She was in some ways she was portrayed as Trump in a skirt (and I'll leave it at that....)

Thanks. Lots of hypotheticals and worst case scenarios there, but I think like in 2022, you analysis significantly underestimates the toxicity of Trump to American voters. I know you love him, but the vast majority of Americans do not. I disagree that Trump is anywhere near his floor in terms of popularity. Undoubtedly, a criminal indictment or another foot in mouth statement could lead to voters being syphoned, especially independents. Having a solid base that's a minority is great, but it doesn't win you elections if you can't get some crossover.

In short, I think you're analysis makes the exact same mistakes it made in 2022 - underestimating the toxicity of Trump. And that is why there's little chance Trump does something unprecedented in 2024, certainly with RDS by his side. It's not going to happen.

Is it possible? Sure. Almost anything is possible. But likely Trump wins another term? No.
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

VP: if he does not win the nomination, RDS has a calculation to make. What's the best odds to the WH? Joining the ticket has much to commend it. There's always a chance Trump can win. He's in better position to day than he was in 2016. Biden's numbers will likely worsen. And Trump has a 75m voting base to start with. So the odds are better than Trump critics allow, certainly not hopeless. RDS would help. The upside to joining the ticket for RDS is a win/win. If Trump wins, RDS is VP and in the catbird seat for 2028. Possibly only token challenges for the nomination. So what's the "win" if Trump loses? RDS gets national exposure. Connections to all national fundraising networks. Relationships with state and federal officials all across the country. That a better position than sitting out the race. He'll catch some grief for not joining the ticket. Not a lot, but it'll leave a mark with the Trump base (approx 35-40% of the GOP). And when 2028 comes around, he won't be Gov of FL (unless he runs for a 3rd term). He'll be a former Gov of FL. (and what if he runs for a 3rd term and loses?) He won't be able to squeeze as much money out of FL fundraising networks (because he can no longer appoint, or write orders, or sign/veto legislation). It'll be only from a smaller universe of what is personally loyal to him. And he will not have as much nationwide name ID and fundraising and political connections he would have generated as a VP candidate or as sitting Gov. Plus, time will allow other names to rise in prominence. Glenn Youngkin (presuming he continues to do well and is re-elected in 2026) will be stronger politicall, and stronger tactically (running in the middle of his term). TIMING is a big deal. RDS is cresting now. 4 years is an ice-age in politics. planning to wait that long is hardly a high-percentage calculation. Not trying to say it's a slam dunk that he will accept a VP nomination in 2024. Saying that the idea it's a slam-dunk he won't accept a VP invite from Trump is a very hasty conclusion. Yes, he will poster and aver that he will NEVER do it, because he has to remain beyond event horizon - once people start to perceive him more as a VP than POTUS, his race for the nomination is over.

Risk: there is a reason we have a lot of career politicians. Donors and voters know what to expect from someone who's been around a while (particularly donors). Yes, young fresh faces are what everyone says they like. But look at the track record of young & fresh....... Now, RDS is not exactly a newborn infant in the political world, but he has not been subjected to the level of proctology he is going to get as a P/VP candidate. We don't know what might pop out. Contrast that with Trump. We know all the gory details so well they now have to make stuff up, really wild-assed half-cocked stuff to get a new outrage. And he still got 75m votes. The risk with Trump is limited to "will our plan to overcome known negatives work." The risks with a new candidate....an RDS, a Youngkin, a Kemp, a Haley, a Scott, etc......there's a whole universe of stuff we don't know. Running a nationwide campaign is orders of magnitude more difficult than running a statewide campaign. And even if there's no hidden bombs, and only a few smudges on the underwear & holes in the socks....wild-assed half-cocked outrages will be spun from it. Can they survive it? Well, yeah, they should, but they haven't passed the test yet, have they? How will they react? How will their team react? How will their base react? How will crossover voters react? Big question marks. Ted Cruz was adored by his Texas base for being a true believer....you can count on Ted to lead the conservative charge. But Trump tagged him as Lyin' Ted and negated that elsewhere. And the pressure of the campaing caused cracks in his marriage that were not helpful. Not a small step up, running for POTUS. If you have a weakness, it will become glaring. Can you survive? Trump has. The rest we just don't know.

don't let aversion cause you to quit thinking. These things are not as clear cut as your arguments need them to be. Trump is AT his floor. His ceiling is for sure limited. There is no scenario where he wins 49 states. But There is enough ceiling to cover the very close loss he had in 2020. We don't know where the floor or ceiling is with any of the alternatives. Yes, theoretically RDS could out-perform. There's also at least an equal chance the Dems could drive his negatives to Trump levels and win a landslide. RDS does not have a nationwide 75m vote base. He's go to build that. Can he? Your energy to dump Trump leads you to presume many, many things that may not happen......

Haley actually has the "tested" issue in her favor. Yes, SC is a small state, but boy was her first GOV race nasty. She was in some ways she was portrayed as Trump in a skirt (and I'll leave it at that....)

Thanks. Lots of hypotheticals and worst case scenarios there, but I think like in 2022, you analysis significantly underestimates the toxicity of Trump to American voters. I know you love him, but the vast majority of Americans do not. I disagree that Trump is anywhere near his floor in terms of popularity. Undoubtedly, a criminal indictment or another foot in mouth statement could lead to voters being syphoned, especially independents. Having a solid base that's a minority is great, but it doesn't win you elections if you can't get some crossover.

In short, I think you're analysis makes the exact same mistakes it made in 2022 - underestimating the toxicity of Trump. And that is why there's little chance Trump does something unprecedented in 2024, certainly with RDS by his side. It's not going to happen.

Is it possible? Sure. Almost anything is possible. But likely Trump wins another term? No.
I don't love the guy like you need me too, but we really aren't that far apart after all.

To get his odds of victory comfortably above 50%, Trump will need Biden's favorability numbers to continue to decline. They will.
muddybrazos

Trump is starting to get his messaging dialed in. This is what he needs to be doing and he also needs to get back on twitter soon.
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

I don't love the guy like you need me too, but we really aren't that far apart after all.

To get his odds of victory comfortably above 50%, Trump will need Biden's favorability numbers to continue to decline. They will.
So what percentage then? Above 50% he beats Biden?
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

not yet. very close. could easily get there.
4th and Inches
Biden wont be the Dem canidate.. its probably Newsome
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

jimdue said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

Such a dumbass.

not yet. very close. could easily get there.
I am asking about a future prediction. Clearly, you think Trump is the nom. What are his percentages of beating Biden? What are his percentages of beating a non-Biden (such as Newsom)?
whiterock
Mothra said:

I am asking about a future prediction. Clearly, you think Trump is the nom. What are his percentages of beating Biden? What are his percentages of beating a non-Biden (such as Newsom)?

The polling is close, and conflicted. Trump has a low ceiling but fundamentals in economy and culture should deteriorate which will harm Biden. And the odds of one or more 3rd party candidates is higher than in recent past. It's impossible to know who & how many. But they could have an outsized impact on the race.

The Trump vs Harris polling is not terribly close an in Trump's favor.

It's basically a tossup now.

whiterock
And we still have serious base-vs-establishment in-fighting in some key swing states:

J.R.
whiterock said:

Ghostrider said:

won't hurt him as much as you might think in the primary. Everybody knows him and he's nearly unassailable with polls showing him in the 40-50% range.

It's the general where it would really matter......IF Trump wins the primaries (which is at the moment what is most likely to happen), will the donors who didn't back him in the primary step up to the plate for the general election?....or will they close their wallets and sit on them? That is a valid concern here.

I suspect that question is a big part of the reason why Trump endorsed McDaniel for party chairman - retaining ties to establishment donor networks.
screw Trumps. He needs to go away now!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.