Trump vs Desantis

17,997 Views | 392 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

4th and Inches said:

While I appreciate Trump's court appointments, overturning Roe wasn't the work of one man. It was the work of decades. That's not an excuse for anything. It's a needed perspective, in my opinion, for Republicans who seem to be permanently locked in panic mode.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And yet, it wouldn't have happened without Trump's appointments. If HRC had won, think Roe would have been overturned?
It wouldn't have been overturned when it was. That's part of why I voted for Trump in 2016.
But a conservative judiciary became less important in 2020? What about the other things I mentioned? Nuclear war? Illegal immigration? Were those also less important in 2020?
A conservative judiciary is always important, but it was less crucial as an election issue in 2020. We knew that whoever was elected in 2016 was likely to have a major effect on the Supreme Court. In 2020, we had a conservative majority in place and were free to consider other questions about our candidate for president. Like for example...is he sane?
yet here we are with a mentally impaired president..
who will be packing the district and appellate courts with progressives.

judicial appointments are never a "less crucial" consideration.
Amen. That thought process, from a purported conservative, is simply remarkable.

Further proof that our resident NT's are unable to see the forest through the trees. They prefer the Obamas and Bidens of the world to Republican presidents. Remarkable.
a lot of people call themselves "conservative" when they mean "not liberal." And the quiet part out loud..."not conservative" either.

I have one friend in particular, like balance, votes to maintain balance. flops around in voting choices. Hates radicals, moreso on the right than the left. (No it's not JR.)

It's like he never had a statistics class. Entering a factor of 48 or 52 has almost no impact on the mean. Its' the 99 or a 1 that has the real influence on the mean.

Fact is, the radicals are the ones doing the pulling. The smart centrists (mostly Dems) realize that and use that dynamic to their advantage in moving the mean left. The dumb ones (typically Republican) fight with their base to defend the mean, thereby leaving Dems largely unchecked in moving the mean left.

never fight your base. If you win, it makes your base smaller. If you lose, well...you lose.
See my previous post. I'm completely on board with moving the mean to the right, if moving right means moving to more conservative policies.
I know you repeat this mantra. But your actions speak differently.
My actions are based on long-term goals, not just the next election.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

4th and Inches said:

While I appreciate Trump's court appointments, overturning Roe wasn't the work of one man. It was the work of decades. That's not an excuse for anything. It's a needed perspective, in my opinion, for Republicans who seem to be permanently locked in panic mode.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And yet, it wouldn't have happened without Trump's appointments. If HRC had won, think Roe would have been overturned?
It wouldn't have been overturned when it was. That's part of why I voted for Trump in 2016.
But a conservative judiciary became less important in 2020? What about the other things I mentioned? Nuclear war? Illegal immigration? Were those also less important in 2020?
A conservative judiciary is always important, but it was less crucial as an election issue in 2020. We knew that whoever was elected in 2016 was likely to have a major effect on the Supreme Court. In 2020, we had a conservative majority in place and were free to consider other questions about our candidate for president. Like for example...is he sane?

Amen. That thought process, from a purported conservative, is simply remarkable.

Further proof that our resident NT's are unable to see the forest through the trees. They prefer the Obamas and Bidens of the world to Republican presidents. Remarkable.
a lot of people call themselves "conservative" when they mean "not liberal." And the quiet part out loud..."not conservative" either.

I have one friend in particular, like balance, votes to maintain balance. flops around in voting choices. Hates radicals, moreso on the right than the left. (No it's not JR.)

It's like he never had a statistics class. Entering a factor of 48 or 52 has almost no impact on the mean. Its' the 99 or a 1 that has the real influence on the mean.

Fact is, the radicals are the ones doing the pulling. The smart centrists (mostly Dems) realize that and use that dynamic to their advantage in moving the mean left. The dumb ones (typically Republican) fight with their base to defend the mean, thereby leaving Dems largely unchecked in moving the mean left.

never fight your base. If you win, it makes your base smaller. If you lose, well...you lose.
See my previous post. I'm completely on board with moving the mean to the right, if moving right means moving to more conservative policies.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

4th and Inches said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

See my previous post. I'm completely on board with moving the mean to the right, if moving right means moving to more conservative policies. If it means moving to more demagoguery and conspiratorial lunacy, not so much.
nothing is quite so ironic as watching neverTrumpers demagogue about demagogues
whiterock
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

4th and Inches said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You know, those long term goals involve losing a lot of elections to establish credibility
whiterock
Mothra said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if policies are any indication, we might want to be asking ourselves the same question about the current WH occupant.
They generally are not. You and WR remain confused as to the difference between policy and character/fitness issues.
No, we just have the ability to see the forest through the trees.

How a president governs and reacts to world events may indeed be an indication of his character/fitness. For all of his supposed character/fitness issues, Trump's policies demonstrated a lot more sanity and logic than his successor.

Trump's policy successes demonstrate manifestly suitable character and fitness for the office. Few President's have dealt with such unreasonable hostility, to include virtual insurrection from within the executive branch, and still managed to administer the country thru a period of peace and prosperity which beggared the records of several of his predecessors and certainly that of his successor.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

I think the only way it's not Trump is if the other nominees drop out and let DeSantis go after him mano a mano. If that happens, I like DeSantis's chances.

Otherwise, I think we can expect another 6 years of Democrat rule.
Too bad we didn't have a chance to impeach and disqualify him, huh?
You and I both know that had little chance of succeeding.
We needed ten more men or women of principle in the Republican Senate. So yeah, very little chance.
Right, because only unprincipled politicians could have voted against impeachment.

What's the plan for getting more principled politicians? Sit out more elections?
It's not even necessary to assume that. If everyone had voted their conscience, he would likely have been removed and disqualified.

Yes, sitting out elections is sometimes a good plan. It's part of the reason that Romney/McCain types no longer dominate the party.

So never mind that it got us 8 years of Obama, which of course set the stage for 4 years of Biden. You preferred 12 years of those liberal disasters to McCain and Romney?

Yes your non-vote certainly did us wonders. Great decision there. Way to see the forest through the trees.
Yes, it was arguably worth it to bring some new ideas (actually old conservative ideas) into the party. You're so afraid of Democrats that you can't see past next year.
What new conservative ideas do you think were brought into the party as a result of the 8 year of Obama that you preferred to conservative rule? And what conservative ideas do you expect the party to usher in after 8 years of Biden wokeness?

And I take it you're ok or willing to suffer the consequences of 8 years of wokeness so perhaps someone with different conservative ideas can get elected the next time in 2028? You don't see any lasting damage with a bellicose foreign policy that could lead to an armed conflict with, say, Russian or China, perhaps even nuclear war? Open borders no issue for you? The damage done with millions of illegal immigrants flooding the country over an 8 year period is just something you're willing to accept? Or liberal judges appointed to all levels of the federal judiciary just isn't that big a deal? Out of control spending and runaway debt - just one of the casualties of teaching those Republicans a lesson?

Or is it just all of the above really isn't that big of a deal for you?
It is a big deal, especially the foreign policy aspect. But I don't know whether you've noticed there's not much difference between mainstream Republicans and Democrats in that realm. A Romney or a McCain could very easily have put us in the same position with regard to Russia and Ukraine. The same criticism can be made to a large degree on immigration and the budget. Even some of our worst court decisions of late, like Obergefell and Bostock, were written by Republican judges.

Democrats are going to win some elections sometimes. Roughly half the country are Democrats. We have to accept that fact and learn to work with it if we want to achieve our long term goals.
Sure, Democrats are going to win elections sometimes, especially when people who call themselves conservatives sit at home or vote for someone other than the conservative. That's part of my point. When your own actions play a role in getting Democrats elected, kind of silly to use the excuse, "Democrats get elected sometime."

Don't necessarily disagree with you that Dems sometimes don't look all that different than Republicans on certain issues, but I think you downplay the differences, especially those between Trump and Biden. If Trump were president, think we would be on the precipice of war with Russia? Think we would have 2 million illegals flowing through our borders on a yearly basis? Think we would have gotten Roe overturned?

Of course not. And yet, this is what you prefer. Remarkable.
Well, if policies are any indication, we might want to be asking ourselves the same question about the current WH occupant.
They generally are not. You and WR remain confused as to the difference between policy and character/fitness issues.
to be fair JB's policies are as good as his mental fitness for office..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
boognish_bear
J.R.
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How a president governs and reacts to world events may indeed be an indication of his character/fitness. For all of his supposed character/fitness issues, Trump's policies demonstrated a lot more sanity and logic than his successor.

Trump's policy successes demonstrate manifestly suitable character and fitness for the office. Few President's have dealt with such unreasonable hostility, to include virtual insurrection from within the executive branch, and still managed to administer the country thru a period of peace and prosperity which beggared the records of several of his predecessors and certainly that of his successor.
step away from the bong, son! You cannot be that dumb. His policy successes are the following: Lost the Presidency, House, Senate and was impeached twice. Grabbing them by the poon, ***** chasing, cheater, crook, tax crook, grifter. Yeah, great policies. How in the hell can you evangilcals square how morally bankrupt that guys is with Christianity. Oh, I bet you like 2 Corithians! That son of a ***** comports himself diametrically opposed to how Christ would handle things. He is NO Christian. If you think he is, you just don't get it. He is a pathological liar! (how can you respect that)?Jimmy Carter, H Bush, W and even Obama comported themselves well , given hard circumstances. Not commenting on their presidency , but they did their best to live like men of faith. This guys is just
whiterock
J.R. said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

step away from the bong, son! You cannot be that dumb. His policy successes are the following: Lost the Presidency, House, Senate and was impeached twice. Grabbing them by the poon, ***** chasing, cheater, crook, tax crook, grifter. Yeah, great policies. How in the hell can you evangilcals square how morally bankrupt that guys is with Christianity. Oh, I bet you like 2 Corithians! That son of a ***** comports himself diametrically opposed to how Christ would handle things. He is NO Christian. If you think he is, you just don't get it. He is a pathological liar! (how can you respect that)?Jimmy Carter, H Bush, W and even Obama comported themselves well , given hard circumstances. Not commenting on their presidency , but they did their best to live like men of faith. This guys is just
Now isn't that cute. You cut and paste that post over and over and over, one long rant on how much you do not like his personality. Pretty sure you are the board litmus test.....if you DON"T sputter like a madman about our nominee, we must not have the right guy.

Cold hard fact is, the nation as a whole prospered under his leadership to a far greater degree than under either his predecessor or successor, and the nation would be well severed with a return to his policies.

That is not to say other Republicans could not execute in office better, but they have to first win primary and general elections, and right now it's not at all clear anyone else will be able to do that.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

J.R. said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cold hard fact is, the nation as a whole prospered under his leadership to a far greater degree than under either his predecessor or successor, and the nation would be well severed with a return to his policies.
Was that a typo, or are you saying the quiet part out loud?
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

J.R. said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Was that a typo, or are you saying the quiet part out loud?
LOL I wish I could take credit for that.
boognish_bear
4th and Inches
boognish_bear said:

ugh, there is a running or cycling event in Waco that weekend.. avoid the airport area!

Edit- event will probably be over by that time..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
boognish_bear
Trump calling for protest from his faithful

whiterock
boognish_bear said:

had a bunch of Sunday School friends over last night.....campfire & basketball games on the porch. overheard the two liberals in the bunch at one point grousing quietly to each other about the coming Trump rally.

I think I'm gonna mail them tickets anonymously, just to agitate.
boognish_bear
ATL Bear
boognish_bear said:

Two birds, one stone.
boognish_bear
KaiBear
Only a hyper partisan fool would even attempt to ignore how flagrantly political this indictment is .

How the DA involved literally campaigned for the office on the promise to get Trump .

How the statute of limitations ran out over 2 YEARS ago.

How a municipal district attorney is filling charges for an alleged FEDERAL offense .

How a misdemeanor charge magically gets upgraded to a felony.

Insanity .

But there will be found a judge and 12 jurors in Manhattan who would convict Donald Trump of murdering Jimmy Hoffa and millions of Democrats would go wild with joy .

And these same idiots don't comprehend the danger this kind of 'Justice' puts the rest of us in .

whiterock
KaiBear said:

Only a hyper partisan fool would even attempt to ignore how flagrantly political this indictment is .

How the DA involved literally campaigned for the office on the promise to get Trump .

How the statute of limitations ran out over 2 YEARS ago.

How a municipal district attorney is filling charges for an alleged FEDERAL offense .

How a misdemeanor charge magically gets upgraded to a felony.

Insanity .

But there will be found a judge and 12 jurors in Manhattan who would convict Donald Trump of murdering Jimmy Hoffa and millions of Democrats would go wild with joy .

And these same idiots don't comprehend the danger this kind of 'Justice' puts the rest of us in .

They won't "appreciate it" until they are subjected to it.
whiterock

4th and Inches
whiterock said:

in hefore never trumpers say its trumps fault(not thiers) that GOP is not in control..

–Horace

Mothra
whiterock said:

Of course that's true among "Republicans," but not in the general electorate.

Trump needs a commanding lead over Biden to win. But unfortunately, he continues to remain very unpopular among the general populace.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/favorability/donald-trump/?states=MT

54.5% unfavorable
38.5% favorable

In short, unless something significant changes for the better, we are going to come up just short again.
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Trump needs a commanding lead over Biden to win. But unfortunately, he continues to remain very unpopular among the general populace.

54.5% unfavorable
38.5% favorable

In short, unless something significant changes for the better, we are going to come up just short again.

Just noting trends.
After many months of being ahead of Biden, Trump fell behind late last year, barely beyond the margin of error. Now, it's a dead heat. Biden's at 53% disapproval today with Rasmussen. And It is not clear (yet) that we have better performer.

The pendulum swings. (as I told you it would.). The issues that will drive the election probably haven't happened yet.

Watch and wait……
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

54.5% unfavorable
38.5% favorable

Just noting trends.
After many months of being ahead of Biden, Trump fell behind late last year, barely beyond the margin of error. Now, it's a dead heat. Biden's at 53% disapproval today with Rasmussen. And It is not clear (yet) that we have better performer.

The pendulum swings. (as I told you it would.). The issues that will drive the election probably haven't happened yet.

Watch and wait……
My point is, Trump has to do better than a dead heat or he will lose just like he did in 2020's dead heat.
whiterock
boognish_bear
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

54.5% unfavorable
38.5% favorable

Just noting trends.

Watch and wait……
My point is, Trump has to do better than a dead heat or he will lose just like he did in 2020's dead heat.
Agree. which way will the pendulum swing? Might revert back to roughly 2020. Could also swing hard in his direction. Both men are so unpopular, that events late in the game may on only swing, but swing big and late in what started out as a tight race.
boognish_bear
sombear
Desantis hasn't launched and has been crucified by Trump and mainstream media for months but still outperforming in key states.

BearTruth13
If Trump is the nominee, the Republicans are not a serious party anymore.

Held my nose for him in 2020. I'll sit out 2024 if he is the guy.
Osodecentx
Trump PAC Has Now Spent More Attacking DeSantis Than Backing GOP Midterm Candidates
Former president Donald Trump's super PAC, MAGA Inc., has now spent more money on attack ads targeting Florida governor Ron DeSantis than it previously did on supporting Republican candidates in the 2022 midterms.
Trump, who is the current frontrunner in the 2024 presidential race, has launched a series of attacks against DeSantis, who is expected to enter the race this week. MAGA Inc. has spent $15.3 million attacking the Republican governor and just $1,500 on supporting Trump.
In the 2022 midterms, the PAC spent $15 million to support Republican candidates in the key swing states of Arizona, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Ohio and Nevada. Republicans lost Senate races in four out of those five states, with only Ohio Republican J.D. Vance securing a win.
A spokesperson for DeSantis said the figures make clear that Trump views DeSantis as a threat.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/trump-pac-has-now-spent-more-attacking-desantis-than-backing-gop-midterm-candidates/
Osodecentx
BearTruth13 said:

There's a lot of that going around
BearTruth13
Osodecentx said:

BearTruth13 said:

There's a lot of that going around

Makes zero sense to nominate him again but some people are still on the train somehow.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BearTruth13 said:

Ron DeSantis and Tim Scott are certainly two rock solid alternatives. They are both Trump without the crazy!

Trump has spent more time and money attacking DeSantis than Democrats these last few months. That just might be enough to make me sit out 2024 if Trump wins the nomination. (And I voted for the S O B twice!)
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.