Trump vs Desantis

18,010 Views | 392 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sombear said:

Desantis hasn't launched and has been crucified by Trump and mainstream media for months but still outperforming in key states.

You do know the background the guy doing the POS polls, don't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Newhouse
sombear
Yes, in fact, he's an acquaintance, and he's one of the best. What are you getting at? And, if you've seen polls showing otherwise, I'd love to see them. The GA and AZ (and PA) numbers have been mostly consistent in showing Desantis outperforming Trump.
whiterock
sombearhostile said:

Yes, in fact, he's an acquaintance, and he's one of the best. What are you getting at? And, if you've seen polls showing otherwise, I'd love to see them. The GA and AZ (and PA) numbers have been mostly consistent in showing Desantis outperforming Trump.
State polls usually move in the direction of national polls, which are trending in positive direction for both of the candidates in question. I would posit EITHER of them could win.

What am I getting at? His track record with Presidential races is not stellar. Fired from Dole campaign. Lost with McCain. Lost with Romney (and actually had Romney winning). His client list IS the Trump-hostile part of the party......

I wouldn't ignore his work, but it does come with asterisks. I would look for more and better context, as his is certainly not something to hold out as a seminal take on the landscape.
sombear
whiterock said:

sombearhostile said:

State polls usually move in the direction of national polls, which are trending in positive direction for both of the candidates in question. I would posit EITHER of them could win.

What am I getting at? His track record with Presidential races is not stellar. Fired from Dole campaign. Lost with McCain. Lost with Romney (and actually had Romney winning). His client list IS the Trump-hostile part of the party......

I wouldn't ignore his work, but it does come with asterisks. I would look for more and better context, as his is certainly not something to hold out as a seminal take on the landscape.
So, do you dispute that Desantis has consistently polled better in the battlegrounds?

Wait, because he was the pollster for our party's nominee, he's anti-Trump? His polls have actually been among the most Trump friendly.

He was fired by Dole because it was a "him or me" battle between pollsters. Had nothing to do with competency.

Blaming a pollster for a candidate's loss? Very strange.

Yes, his Romney call was awful. He owned it. And, if you followed the polling industry, you'd know that his methodology changes after that election were adopted by the more successful posters. Specifically, modified voter turnout projections and moving away from traditional RDD.
whiterock
sombear said:

whiterock said:

sombearhostile said:

So, do you dispute that Desantis has consistently polled better in the battlegrounds?

Wait, because he was the pollster for our party's nominee, he's anti-Trump? His polls have actually been among the most Trump friendly.

He was fired by Dole because it was a "him or me" battle between pollsters. Had nothing to do with competency.

Blaming a pollster for a candidate's loss? Very strange.

Yes, his Romney call was awful. He owned it. And, if you followed the polling industry, you'd know that his methodology changes after that election were adopted by the more successful posters. Specifically, modified voter turnout projections and moving away from traditional RDD.

LOL I'm not the one who started framing the race as ending "a culture of losing"

Note I did not say "disregard his work." In fact, I have included his poll results a time or two in discussions here. But I t's not unfair to point out he is an establishment pollster putting out polls that favor the establishment-favored candidate.

It's still very early. Polls will change, and could do so in unpredictable directions depending on events. But at this moment in time we are, as I predicted, seeing a long, steady positive trend in Trump's favor. I don't see a scenario where either Trump or Desantis fades back into the pack. So we're going to get a battle royale. The winner, whoever it is, will be hard to beat because the Dems have no strong candidate to run with and a very dreadful set of macro-conditions for which they will be held accountable.

Still think the smartest bet one could make at this point in time is a Trump/Desantis ticket.

boognish_bear
whiterock
boognish_bear said:

Great example of why Governors have an upper hand when running for POTUS.....fundraising leverage with the donor class.

When your Governor is running for President, he/she is for certain going to be one of two things: either your Governor or your President. If you DON'T donate, you risk being shut out.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
whiterock
boognish_bear said:

I know a couple in that stratosphere who were not listed and are all in for RDS.

RDS will do exceedingly well with the donor class.
4th and Inches
whiterock said:

boognish_bear said:

I know a couple in that stratosphere who were not listed and are all in for RDS.

i dont think donors are gonna be his issue. He has to get both sides of the GOP and the Indies to vote for him..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
whiterock
4th and Inches said:

whiterock said:

boognish_bear said:

i dont think donors are gonna be his issue. He has to get both sides of the GOP and the Indies to vote for him..

As I feared, the race appears to be headed into a donors v. base dynamic.

Donors seem particularly transfixed on the "culture of losing" argument that the base is rejecting.
sombear
whiterock said:

4th and Inches said:

whiterock said:

boognish_bear said:

As I feared, the race appears to be headed into a donors v. base dynamic.

Donors seem particularly transfixed on the "culture of losing" argument that the base is rejecting.
I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but the donor class covers a lot of ground. It is difficult to generalize. But, yes, a good chunk of them are focused on electability even more than usual. More than that though they are concerned with the GOP brand under Trump. Unfortunately, many are not sold on Desantis either, but he will still do pretty well, and absent an unexpected Scott or Haley charge, most will ultimately coalesce around him.
boognish_bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
boognish_bear said:

What an arrogant ass! Kahleigh was one of his biggest cheerleaders on Fox News. I would bet no more.

So ready to move in from this p r i c k.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Mothra
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

boognish_bear said:

What an arrogant ass! Kahleigh was one of his biggest cheerleaders on Fox News. I would bet no more.

And he doesn't even know how to spell "milquetoast."

He's such a buffoon.

I am hoping for Trump's death before 2024.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Mothra said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

boognish_bear said:

And he doesn't even know how to spell "milquetoast."

He's such a buffoon.

I am hoping for Trump's death before 2024.
I kinda wish Biden and Trump would go ahead and go behind the schoolhouse and beat each other into a coma.

I wish both would just go away.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Trump will be a lock for junior high class president

Osodecentx
boognish_bear said:

Trump will be a lock for junior high class president

Bizarre
boognish_bear
whiterock
Trump pollster results on electability.
https://www.axios.com/2023/06/01/trump-desantis-electability-polling

Same pollster before informed ballot poll.
boognish_bear
Trump not happy that Oklahoma Gov is backing Ron

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Aliceinbubbleland
Holy ****
whiterock
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Holy ****
It's a fair point. None of his three appointments have proven to be as consistently conservative as Alito and Thomas. Kavanaugh and Roberts are more accurately described as centrists.
4th and Inches
whiterock said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Holy ****
It's a fair point. None of his three appointments have proven to be as consistently conservative as Alito and Thomas. Kavanaugh and Roberts are more accurately described as centrists.
aint none of them Antonin Scalia.. May he rest in peace
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Holy ****
Especially Roberts, but he's a Bush appointee.
Aliceinbubbleland
Who cares what Oklahoma thinks? They are insignificant when it comes to national politics. If Putin headed the ticket in GOP Okie land he'd probably beat the Democrat.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Holy ****
Gorsuch is more Libertarian than GOP. He has gone against what the GOP wants several time.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Holy ****
Gorsuch is more Libertarian than GOP. He has gone against what the GOP wants several time.
He'll always be suspect in my mind after the Bostock decision.
Doc Holliday
Adam Townsend knows his stuff. Dude has made numerous predictions that are always spot on and come to fruition.

KaiBear
Trump is finished .

Anyone who votes for him in any Republican primary is either incredibly ignorant of the political realities or a Democrat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.