Asteroid Countdown

48,147 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
SMack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
5 hours and 35 minutes.
SMack
15 minutes.
SMack
Six minutes.
SMack
I wish I didn't procrastinate on that dome.

Four minutes.
SMack
I love all of you.

Well, not all. Many of you.

It seems important that I let y'all know.

Anyway, just one more minute.
SMack
Impact at any second now.
SMack
Goodbye!
SMack
This is embarrassing.
SMack
Maybe it's just late.
SMack
Sorry folks. I guess it missed.

I'll get to work on that dome today. We're only 2,800 days away from the big one.
SMack
2,799 days until the real asteroid hits.
SMack
There are three more that may destroy life on Earth:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1186737/Asteroid-news-scientist-space-rock-collision-Earth-planet-deadly-human-extinction

It won't matter, because the we probably won't survive the one that hits in 2,799 days.
fubar
2798 days until the real asteroid hits.

I thought I spotted the fake asteroid hurtling towards me and mine and ran in and went straight to my basement. Not sure if that is appropriate asteroid-impact survival when you don't have an anti-vaporizer dome built yet, but that is where my cache of boxed wine and sardines is.

Turns out the fake asteroid was a Southwest flight on some weird vector.

Now off to Herbie's House of Vino to restock.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
SMack
I've been talking to the folks in Italy, and there is some bad news. The dome is only "vaporizing RESISTANT", not "vaporizing PROOF". Big difference.

Anyway, they think it would have a decent chance of surviving if the asteroid hits College Station and it's at least as far as Waco. It doesn't look so good for Bremond, though.

I've always wanted to live in Cranfills Gap, and that would give an extra cushion of safety, so that may be where it goes. Also, I may need to become Lutheran.

Anyway, we have 2,797 days to get everything done.
SMack
Quote:

Now off to Herbie's House of Vino to restock.
Herb says PARTY
fubar
You know what I can't wait for? August 15, 2020, when the "On this day in history ... " thread hits the one year anniversary of the start of this (much more important to the fate of humanity) here thread.

"August 15, 2019, SMack alerts the world to impending destruction at the hand of Asteroid 1990MU ...

" ... 2486 days until the annihilation of humanity."

I can't wait for that.
SMack
Quote:

" ...the annihilation of humanity."
That's some beautiful prose right there.

I'm going to start using it regularly, and I want to properly give proper credit where properly due. I would just put an asterisk by it, but that might get confused with KKM's P*ig. Also, Assassin has the the double asterisk tied up.

Maybe I'll use this: &#%^!

Anyway, there's 2,796 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity.
311 days until August 20th, 2020.
quash
SMack said:

I've been talking to the folks in Italy, and there is some bad news. The dome is only "vaporizing RESISTANT", not "vaporizing PROOF". Big difference.

Anyway, they think it would have a decent chance of surviving if the asteroid hits College Station and it's at least as far as Waco. It doesn't look so good for Bremond, though.

I've always wanted to live in Cranfills Gap, and that would give an extra cushion of safety, so that my be where it goes. Also, I may need to become Lutheran.

If enough of us move there we can open a restaurant (finally) and reopen the movie theater.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
SMack
quash said:

SMack said:

I've always wanted to live in Cranfills Gap, and that would give an extra cushion of safety, so that my be where it goes. Also, I may need to become Lutheran.

If enough of us move there we can open a restaurant (finally) and reopen the movie theater.

The Horny Toad Bar and Grill is still open, isn't it?

I don't know where the movie theater is, but maybe it could serve food and show movies and kill two birds with one Asteroid.

Anyway, it probably won't survive the impact.
SMack
2,795 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity.
310 days until August 20th, 2020.
quash
SMack said:

2,795 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity.
310 days until August 20th, 2020.
Partial annihilation. Mars tix $5,000,000!
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
SMack
2,794 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity, except for those on Mars or in vaporizing-resistant domes.
309 days until August 20th, 2020.
fubar
You know what I just realized? We're gonna be on multiples of seven on the same day of BOTH countdowns.

This is certain to freak *some* people out. Hopefully it won't lead to annihilation ... yet.
SMack
2,793 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity, except for those on Mars or in vaporizing-resistant domes.
308 days until the day that phubaar looks forward to, August 20th, 2020.
fubar
2,792 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity. 307 days until we invade that other thread.

I'm headed to Mars in 2,790 days. There will be room enough in the spaceship for some of you. Do you think I should invest in a trailer hitch and then rent a U-Haul to tote the sardines and boxed wine? I don't think the Mars Rover has found any of those there just yet.
quash
fubar said:

2,792 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity. 307 days until we invade that other thread.

I'm headed to Mars in 2,790 days. There will be room enough in the spaceship for some of you. Do you think I should invest in a trailer hitch and then rent a U-Haul to tote the sardines and boxed wine? I don't think the Mars Rover has found any of those there just yet.

The Chinese grew a plant on the moon, bring some grape seeds, maybe some hemp seeds .
SMack
fubar said:

Good call on the U-Haul. You might consider bringing the trailer back when you're done. It's usually cheaper than one-way. You can spend the savings on more sardines and boxed wine.

Since you're going to Mars, the dome doesn't need to be as big, so that will save me on the construction cost. By the way, your deposit is nonrefundable.
SMack
2,791 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity, except for those on Mars or in vaporizing-resistant domes.
306 days until the day that fewbahr looks forward to, August 20th, 2020.
2,789 days until fewbahr goes to Mars.
Pablo Fanque
fubar said:

You know what I just realized? We're gonna be on multiples of seven on the same day of BOTH countdowns.

This is certain to freak *some* people out. Hopefully it won't lead to annihilation ... yet.
This.

Is.

Not.

Good.

At.

All.
The Poster Formerly Known as Maxwell's Silver Hammer
SMack
Pablo Fanque said:

fubar said:

This.

Is.

Not.

Good.

At.

All.

As long as it doesn't happen on a Saturday, I'll be fine.
SMack
2,790 days until the &#%^! annihilation of humanity, except for those on Mars or in vaporizing-resistant domes.
305 days until the day that phughbar looks forward to, August 20th, 2020.
2,788 days until phughbar goes to Mars.
fubar

#&@!
SMack
fubar said:

#&@!

#&@!, or &#%^!?
quash
y'all ever miss the cents mark? I do.
SMack
I don't think the extended ASCII characters work here, but I'll try:

Nope, they don't work.

This makes me sad.

2,788 days until the &#%^! or #&@! annihilation of humanity.
303 days until foobaar's big day, and 2,786 days until he leaves Earth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.