Word on the street...

199,326 Views | 1776 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WILLIS
AceThedic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldMind said:

Does anyone REALLY care if Elton John or Rob Halford is gay? Both are extremely talented singers.
Freddie Mercury.

Then there's the Poison and Motley Crues that look like they borrowed your gfs makeup after they took her backstage.

There's a music sociologist who argues that embracing your sexuality and femininity is the biggest middle finger to the public and the most masculine thing you can do.
Hob Howelll
GoldMind said:

Does anyone REALLY care if Elton John or Rob Halford is gay? Both are extremely talented singers.

Not at all. I'm very conservative and a huge Elton John fan
Franko
The Hound said:

Which is the best Beatle?
Bigkahunaww
GoldMind said:

That was my first album. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John.
Then later got a copy on cassette to play in the car.

Yea, I'm an old fart.
GoldMind
Best Beatle is Ringo, he was the engine that made it run.
AceThedic
The Hound said:

Which is the best Beatle? Personally I'm partial to Paul McCartney, but some argue that John Lennon took the group from silly teenage love songs to the more psychedelic classic rock group that made such albums as Abby Roads and Let it Be
You just KNOW the sitar was his influence. Don't discount George Harrison. Dude is still responsible for some of the greatest rock licks ever.

George Martin? Would we even recognize their sound without him?
Hob Howelll
exr29070 said:

The Hound said:

Which is the best Beatle? Personally I'm partial to Paul McCartney, but some argue that John Lennon took the group from silly teenage love songs to the more psychedelic classic rock group that made such albums as Abby Roads and Let it Be
You just KNOW the sitar was his influence. Don't discount George Harrison. Dude is still responsible for some of the greatest rock licks ever.

George Martin? Would we even recognize their sound without him?

George Harrison was great. He wrote two of my favorite songs in My Sweet Lord and Here Comes the Sun
nein51
The Beatles are entirely overrated. I give credit to them for helping transition music and I am willing to concede that I enjoy some songs. However, large swathes of their music is unlistenable acid fueled garbage.

No one cares if Elton John is gay and in this era I don't think anyone cares if anyone is gay. I loved George Michael. Never cared he was gay either. I also love NPH...

1713 Baylor
Amy Pagitt said:

I don't know whether to be pissed off or just sit here in complete awe of this thread.
It rolls over you either like a wave or the back of a failed trash hauling truck. Not sure which.
Pd254
I bought two albums and a disc man at the same time at incredible universe. They were Snoops doggystyle and the Adam Sandler album with the goat.
Wtt78
"The thing people don't realize about the Gears War, is that, it was never really about the gears at all"
Bahamabear
Freddie Mercury is the greatest singer of all MF time
Ludwig von Missi
The Hound said:

Ok, a minor point of clarification, but what most people would consider the Beatles "silly little love song" phase (Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Days Night, etc.) was really pretty revolutionary. Sure, there were some songs during those early years that didn't have a lot of meat on the bone, but there were also a lot of songs that were sneakily-complex. "I Saw Her Standing There" was a pretty wild track for 1963. The usage of Aeolian cadences (whether intentional or not) in "It Won't Be Long." "All My Loving" stands the test of time. "From Me to You" is pretty unique. "I Feel Fine" might have been the first use of recorded feedback and has a great riff.

The Lennon-McCartney debate is almost an impossible question to answer. And yes, when someone is asking who the best Beatle is/was it is a Lennon-McCartney debate...George Harrison was massively talented and one of the most underrated musicians of all-time, but his catalog simply does not stack up.

I am a slight McCartney lean, although I think Lennon is the "cooler" answer. It is kind of funny, if you ask me what I think the 10 best Beatles songs are I would guess 7 or so would be songs that were primarily composed by Lennon..."In My Life", "Strawberry Fields", "A Day in the Life", etc. But McCartney's diversity as a song writer simply astounds me. The same guy that wrote "Back in the USSR" wrote "Elenor Rigby"? The same guy that wrote "Mother Nature's Son" wrote "Oh Darling"? The same guy that wrote "Honey Pie" wrote "Helter Skelter"? I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for even bringing up "Honey Pie", and it is not even in my top 100 favorite McCartney tracks because I don't listen to 1930s music hall/ragtime music, but I can acknowledge how incredible it is that he was able to write good songs in pretty much any genre he wanted. McCartney is the most talented and diverse musician of the 20th century.
Ludwig von Missi
nein51 said:

The Beatles are entirely overrated. I give credit to them for helping transition music and I am willing to concede that I enjoy some songs. However, large swathes of their music is unlistenable acid fueled garbage.

GoldMind
Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

The Beatles were just the first in a long line of succession of great British bands. And just because they came first, doesnt make them the best. Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd are equally as good. Does it make the Fab 4 overrated garbage? Certainly not. The idea that the band or person who started a new trend in music is better than all subsequent acts is short sided, IMO. Like people who say Hank Williams is better than any other country singer, they discount the artists that built on his legacy.

Would rock be what it is without the Beatles? Would the Beatles have been able to craft their sound had they never heard Elvis or Buddy Holly? No, but they are the foundation of the temple upon which future acts built the temple of Modern Rock.
Bears8375
Illmatic is the greatest album in hip hop history.

Come at me.
Boomer Bear
GoldMind
BearSince2010 said:

Illmatic is the greatest album in hip hop history.

Come at me.

Nasir Jones...that boy is poetry in motion.
Ludwig von Missi
GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

The Beatles were just the first in a long line of succession of great British bands. And just because they came first, doesnt make them the best. Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd are equally as good. Does it make the Fab 4 overrated garbage? Certainly not. The idea that the band or person who started a new trend in music is better than all subsequent acts is short sided, IMO. Like people who say Hank Williams is better than any other country singer, they discount the artists that built on his legacy.

Would rock be what it is without the Beatles? Would the Beatles have been able to craft their sound had they never heard Elvis or Buddy Holly? No, but they are the foundation of the temple upon which future acts built the temple of Modern Rock.
I agree with the bolded statement, but I never tried to make the case that the Beatles were the best because they were first. Or were you just addressing a general line of logic that is often used that you disagree with?

And I certainly agree that the Beatles wouldn't be the Beatles without Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, etc.
GoldMind
Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

I agree with the bolded statement, but I never tried to make the case that the Beatles were the best because they were first. Or were you just addressing a general line of logic that is often used that you disagree with?

And I certainly agree that the Beatles wouldn't be the Beatles without Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, etc.
You weren't in my scope, but since this thread has withered into an open forum, I felt compelled. See bolded.
kenozebi
Pd254 said:

I bought two albums and a disc man at the same time at incredible universe. They were Snoops doggystyle and the Adam Sandler album with the goat.
That Album was "What the Hell Happened to Me". The whole thing is amazing.

First Album I ever bought was 'The Simpson's Sing the Blues".
Ludwig von Missi
GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

You weren't in my scope, but since this thread has withered into an open forum, I felt compelled. See bolded.
Gotcha. Agreed. I will fully admit that I think the Beatles are the best band of all-time, but definitely not due to that line of reasoning.
GoldMind
Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

Gotcha. Agreed. I will fully admit that I think the Beatles are the best band of all-time, but definitely not due to that line of reasoning.
Im gonna go with Zeppelin, for personal and aesthetic reasons, but I respect.
Ludwig von Missi
GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

Can't go wrong with Zep.
AceThedic
GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

Probably because the most influential rock bands were influenced more by Delta blues acts from the deep south than by their counterparts.

Cream, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, the list goes on and on. Then you have other acts like Motorhead and Angelwitch that just wanted to build on that, and the new wave was born.

Stones also. They even kept african american language in most of their songs. Clapton's famous live rendition of Crossroads is an old Robert Johnson cover. Zeppelin's "Hey Hey What Can I Do" fkn SOUNDS like you're in the country. There's no Beatles to be found there anywhere. It's all American South.

The Beatles, however, are not overrated.
AceThedic
GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

nein51 said:

My wife walked down the aisle to Going to California in classical guitar style. It was legit.

Side note my father in law has an original pressing of Electric Ladyland and I need a plan to steal it.
DioNoZeus
kenozebi said:

Pd254 said:

I always assumed the first album you bought was the Pootietang soundtrack
kcarlson
GoldMind said:

No, but they are the foundation of the temple upon which future acts built the temple of Modern Rock.
If you lived in Dallas and all you had access to was a radio, you would think that Modern Rock is simply a bunch of Top 40 pop junk. We have 4 or 5 stations that have the exact same playlist, so you when your favorite pop song is finished on one station, the odds are good that it is coming up next on a second station.

R.I.P. KDGE 94.5 FM (it was never the same on 102.1)
AceThedic
DioNoZeus said:

kenozebi said:

Pd254 said:

I always assumed the first album you bought was the Pootietang soundtrack
wada ta
nein51
Most of the delta blues are heavily influenced by West African Muslim music. A lot of early blues sounds very similar to prayer calls.

There is a lot of really interesting reading on that subject.
GoldMind
kcarlson said:

GoldMind said:

No, but they are the foundation of the temple upon which future acts built the temple of Modern Rock.
If you lived in Dallas and all you had access to was a radio, you would think that Modern Rock is simply a bunch of Top 40 pop junk. We have 4 or 5 stations that have the exact same playlist, so you when your favorite pop song is finished on one station, the odds are good that it is coming up next on a second station.

R.I.P. KDGE 94.5 FM (it was never the same on 102.1)
Most pop acts aren't significant, musically. Every now and then theres a diamond in the rough like Drake, John Mayer etc.
kcarlson
Completely agree. I just think it is amazing that in a market as large as DFW we can't have a decent rock station.
GoldMind
kcarlson said:

Completely agree. I just think it is amazing that in a market as large as DFW we can't have a decent rock station.
In Houston we have The Eagle, classic rock. But they play a lot of Rush (cringes and grits teeth)
Pd254
talespin, duck tales, TMNT cartoon, The Who and I'm down with any donuts anywhere. Also Down with the wu.
Ludwig von Missi
GoldMind said:

kcarlson said:

In Houston we have The Eagle, classic rock. But they play a lot of Rush (cringes and grits teeth)
I know you jam out to Tom Sawyer when nobody is watching.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.