Word on the street...

195,601 Views | 1776 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WILLIS
Bahamabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Hound said:

Dubbicans said:

I will agree with BearlyHeardFrom that Nirvana was the absolute best for ushering in grunge music and an entirely different genre. Aside from Pearl Jam, they're probably the most influential band of the 90's. Too bad Cobain tried to wash his mouth out with a shotgun.

I think Courtney Love killed him

Still undefeated?
GoldMind
Some bands transcend any decade and thus cannot be classified as a 80s, 90s etc band.

Metallica for example inst considered an 80s band, nor are The Beatles considered a 60s band.
BaylorLit 01
I've cracked the code. Amy's news is about..

Ludwig von Missi
It has been a while since I have been blasted for an opinion. I'm due. Metallica...meh
kcarlson
Crash Davis said:

It has been a while since I have been blasted for an opinion. I'm due. Metallica...meh
Metallica up to and including the black album was great.
For me, they have been very hit or miss (mostly miss) since then.
BearlyHeardFrom
Crash Davis said:

You get butt-hurt about Guns & Roses but don't like Metallica? Interdasting.
Bahamabear
Crash Davis said:

Kinda there too, some of my favorite songs, but more often i would just skip and move on
Ludwig von Missi
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Crash Davis said:

You get butt-hurt about Guns & Roses but don't like Metallica? Interdasting.
I can't explain it. I have a lot of respect for Metallica and feel like I should like them more than I do, but they just don't do it for me.
Bahamabear
Take AC/DC over Metallica any day
ButterflyFX
nein51 said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Anyone here wish snakes were extinct?

Hate those things
Damn skippy!

The word on the street is that snakes are just misunderstood.
Can't you see this snake is afraid and only trying to defend himself?

Snakes and cockroaches will outlive us all. Ugh...
Ludwig von Missi
Bahamabear said:

Yep.
GoldMind
Bahamabear said:

AC/DC is good, but Brian Johnson sounded like he had his nuts in a vise.
ChipOC
The Hound said:

Dubbicans said:

I will agree with BearlyHeardFrom that Nirvana was the absolute best for ushering in grunge music and an entirely different genre. Aside from Pearl Jam, they're probably the most influential band of the 90's. Too bad Cobain tried to wash his mouth out with a shotgun.

I think Courtney Love killed him

I'd take the shotgun over that Hole.
Gunny Hartman
kcarlson said:

The Hound said:

Guns N' Roses or Nirvana?
Nirvana over GNR and Pearl Jam over both.

Nirvana and GNR are really quite different so it's not an easy comparison. GNR leans more toward Jock Rock, whereas Nirvana is more on the punk side of the grunge spectrum. If I lined up the top 10 songs for each, I would say GNR, but for the full catalog I prefer Nirvana.

Pearl Jam over GNR? I can't believe we let you in my frat
Gunny Hartman
Crash Davis said:

U R dumb
GoldMind
Crash Davis said:

Rush...meh
kcarlson
There was some saying when I was a pledge about not calling a fraternity a frat...
Ludwig von Missi
GoldMind said:

Crash Davis said:

Rush...meh
Duh
Gunny Hartman
GoldMind said:

Bahamabear said:

AC/DC is good, but Brian Johnson sounded like he had his nuts in a vise.

While Brian Johnson is awesome, Bon Scott was DA BOMB. One of the greatest rock frontmen of all-time.
Gunny Hartman
kcarlson said:

There was some saying when I was a pledge about not calling a fraternity a frat...

True, but was too lazy to type out the whole word. And now you made me type more. Oh and we probably didn't haze you enough
kcarlson
Gunny Hartman said:

kcarlson said:

True, but was too lazy to type out the whole word. And now you made me type more. Oh and we probably didn't haze you enough
You have to be smart about choosing which pledge brothers to take with you on certain member interviews.
Gunny Hartman
kcarlson said:

Gunny Hartman said:

kcarlson said:

You have to be smart about choosing which pledge brothers to take with you on certain member interviews.

Is that how you tricked me into going easy on you?
Roy Rogers
Did Don Felder get screwed over by Don Henley and Glenn Frye or were they justified in firing him?
"Sic em yesterday, sic em today, sic em forever"
GoldMind
Roy Rogers said:

Did Don Felder get screwed over by Don Henley and Glenn Frye or were they justified in firing him?
Justified
BearlyHeardFrom
kcarlson said:

Gunny Hartman said:

kcarlson said:

Yeah, I heard about what you guys did with your 'members' and pledges.
Bahamabear
Totally justified, but he did invent the riff to HC
BUBear03
If we're talking 90s, I'm surprised there's no Soundgarden or Smashing Pumpkins love. I preferred both of them to Nirvana or Pearl Jam (both of which I put above GNR, fwiw).
Ludwig von Missi
Roy Rogers said:

No, he didn't get screwed over. And I like Felder, and don't blame him for taking a stand for what he thought was right, but I also don't blame Henley and Frye for giving him the ax. Too bad...the Eagles were at their best with Don Felder in the lineup.
BearlyHeardFrom
BUBear03 said:

If we're talking 90s, I'm surprised there's no Soundgarden or Smashing Pumpkins love. I preferred both of them to Nirvana or Pearl Jam (both of which I put above GNR, fwiw).
I probably like the Pumpkins more than Nirvana but they were late to the market (comparatively) and Nirvana had a much larger cultural impact. I had all those CDs on constant rotation my freshman year.
Rletbetter
BUBear03 said:

This right here is crazy speak! Better than Pearl Jam? But I do admit both were pretty good! Also let's not forget the best band of the 90's STP(Stone Temple Pilots)!
Roy Rogers
Arguably the best super group.

"Sic em yesterday, sic em today, sic em forever"
GoldMind
Rletbetter said:

BUBear03 said:

This right here is crazy speak! Better than Pearl Jam? But I do admit both were pretty good! Also let's not forget the best band of the 90's STP(Stone Temple Pilots)!

Theyre in my top 5 for sure
AceThedic
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Guns & Roses was just another hair metal band. Nirvana ushered in Grunge on a national stage.
Wow I hadn't used the ignore feature in a loooooong time!
BUBear03
I'll give you top 5 of the 90s. 2 solid albums. How about the Soungarden Pearl Jam collaboration: Temple of the Dog? Not even sure if there was more than the one album, but it was a very good one.
AceThedic
Nirvana as a unit was good. Kurt Cobain was overrated as a lyricist. He was just honest but it's nothing that hadn't been done before by the old UK punk acts. It was purely a matter of timing.

I'd take Alice in Chains over anyone else from that era, though. Especially over Smashing Pumpkins.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.