Word on the street...

205,752 Views | 1776 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WILLIS
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nein51 said:

GoldMind said:

Are Craftsman tools really any better than anything else?

Absolutely not.

Craftsman used to be pretty decent hand tools. They aren't that any more.

Same for SK

I have probably 60k in Matco tools but other guys swear by snap-on or Mac. I prefer the Snap-on wrenches to the other brands. They are, however, approx $35 per wrench. So let's say an 8mm-24mm set is something like $500 bucks.

Craftsman stuff is fine for home use and it's not crappy junk but it's certainly not high end tooling.

I've been told Craftsman isn't made by sears anymore.
GoldMind
And Maldives....I'm not sure about that place.
AceThedic
GoldMind said:

Snap-on is God tier
AceThedic
I have craftsman for home stuff. When we work on the cars, my grandfather's snap-ons come out. They're about 60 years old and still better than anything else, plus a few new pieces my dad added. My grandfather owned an auto shop so we had the luxury of all his tools.
nein51
GoldMind said:

nein51 said:

GoldMind said:

Absolutely not.

Same for SK

I have probably 60k in Matco tools but other guys swear by snap-on or Mac. I prefer the Snap-on wrenches to the other brands. They are, however, approx $35 per wrench. So let's say an 8mm-24mm set is something like $500 bucks.

Craftsman stuff is fine for home use and it's not crappy junk but it's certainly not high end tooling.

I don't think sears made tools ever. Danaher used to make them (people who make a lot of tools for a lot of people). I don't know who is making them now but you can tell the difference.

SK used to be a competitor to craftsman in the entry level "pro" tools category and used to make their stuff in the US as well. They don't any more either.

You use my Matco socket wrench then use a Gearwrench version and you can tell the difference almost instantly.

Use a pro socket (Matco/Snap-On/Mac/Cornwell) then use a Great Neck from Autozone and the difference is night and day.

Ask Ethridge what the 2 sockets to do the Mrs old car cost...I believe we were right at $100 for two Snap-On sockets (they were the only ones that made them at the time).

A search shows Danaher is acquiring the Craftsman brand again this year so maybe the quality will go up.
nein51
exr29070 said:

GoldMind said:

Snap-on is God tier

They charge like it!

I've found the Matcos to be more to my liking (especially the boxes) but, again, I do prefer the Snap-On wrenches.
AceThedic
The ratchet action sound of a snap on is akin to the exhaust of a Harley.
GoldMind
nein51 said:

GoldMind said:

nein51 said:

GoldMind said:

Absolutely not.

Same for SK

I don't think sears made tools ever. Danaher used to make them (people who make a lot of tools for a lot of people). I don't know who is making them now but you can tell the difference.

SK used to be a competitor to craftsman in the entry level "pro" tools category and used to make their stuff in the US as well. They don't any more either.

You use my Matco socket wrench then use a Gearwrench version and you can tell the difference almost instantly.

Use a pro socket (Matco/Snap-On/Mac/Cornwell) then use a Great Neck from Autozone and the difference is night and day.

Ask Ethridge what the 2 sockets to do the Mrs old car cost...I believe we were right at $100 for two Snap-On sockets (they were the only ones that made them at the time).

A search shows Danaher is acquiring the Craftsman brand again this year so maybe the quality will go up.

I used to have a 1 1/8 inch spud wrench made by Bethlehem Steel.
nein51
exr29070 said:

The ratchet action sound of a snap on is akin to the exhaust of a Harley.

You should try the new 88 teeth ratchets. Holy cow. Amazing upgrade in technology. Not a lot of noise but they work so much better. Less than 5 deg between teeth.
Bearwhiz
DioNoZeus said:

Wooldogg said:

DioNoZeus said:

Wooldogg said:

sswienton said:

Crash Davis said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Buncha fruity pantsed beer snobs. It's not like we're talking about something important like whisky.
Beer snobs are the worst.
Music snobs equally so :p

Which is worse:
A beer snob discussing music or a music snob drinking beer?

Often they're one and the same. With their MacBook Pros and their horn rimmed glasses... manicured and oiled lumberjack beard and ironic flannel...

Post flagged for profiling. Some of us were into craft beer and music before the hipster d-bags were. Don't need the glasses (my vision is better than yours, just like my taste in beer and music), my beard is well trimmed sans oil and isn't housing any rodents, and I wear ironic t-shirts (proud father of an Aggie scholar), not flannel.
haha well played, NoZe. Maybe we can meet up and jam some early Wilco over some quadruple IPAs sometime.

Just for clarification's sake-
My eyesight's better than yours
I like Wilco
I like craft beer. Not IPA tho.
I like domestic light beer. Not Bud Light tho.

Wilco? Seriously? Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt are far superior.

Love me some son volt
nein51
Looks like I lied. Stanley is acquiring craftsman.
JCWortsman
sicemkentucky said:

Who was around for the implementation and quick demise of Party 2000?

What a massive let down that was! And wasn't it P.A.R.T.Y. 2000? But what was the acronym for?

#dmp
Bearwhiz
BUBear03 said:

Next, someone is going to tell me that boones farm is good.
for your 18yr old daughter
nein51
Bearwhiz said:

BUBear03 said:

Next, someone is going to tell me that boones farm is good.
for your 18yr old daughter

Strawberry hill and the peach one are delicious. 17 bottles and you even get a little buzz.
Steely Dan
Dubbicans said:

I didn't like beer until all of a sudden I did.

I took a sip of a yellow belly back in junior high and swore I'd never drink beer it was so bad. Oh well.
RebelT
nein51 said:

Looks like I lied. Stanley is acquiring craftsman.

Correct. Stanley just acquired Craftsman.

Stanley now makes basically every tool on the planet that is worth a damn. That was the case before they acquired Craftsman, mind you, but it's basically true.

Stanley owns Mac, FWIW...
GoldMind
What about power tools? I've had Makita stuff for years and some of its starting to go.
RebelT
GoldMind said:

What about power tools? I've had Makita stuff for years and some of its starting to go.

Dewalt. There is nothing else.

Hit me up for what you need and I may be able to get you a smoking deal.
Steely Dan
RebelT said:

GoldMind said:

Dewalt. There is nothing else.

Hit me up for what you need and I may be able to get you a smoking deal.

I'd put Milwaukee up there too, but can't go wrong with Dewalt.
GoldMind
Can you go wrong with Bosch?
AceThedic
Why doesn't JKB have every single top comment today?
GoldMind
exr29070 said:

I feel like some just give him stars
nein51
Stanley owns dewalt.

I have a bunch of dewalt and Milwaukee electric tools. Frankly I'm not sure you could tell the difference between them if I blindfolded you.

I prefer the trigger pull of the Milwaukee but both are very good.
Gunny Hartman
So I just got word that after reporting the fake President Livingstone account to Twitter, the account got suspended. Why would somebody enjoy pretending to be someone else online? Not a parody account, but legitimately posing? People are weird.
Gunny Hartman
I prefer the trigger pull of a Sig Sauer
GoldMind
Gunny Hartman said:

Walther
nein51
Gunny Hartman said:

I have a Kimber with lightened trigger pull. It's amazing...it is, sadly, the only thing I like about that handgun.
RebelT
nein51 said:

Stanley owns dewalt.

I have a bunch of dewalt and Milwaukee electric tools. Frankly I'm not sure you could tell the difference between them if I blindfolded you.

There are some fairly substantial differences in Milwaukee and Dewalt, primarily on the battery-powered side. Not that Milwaukee doesn't make some good products, but Dewalt is the best you can get.
nein51
RebelT said:

nein51 said:

Stanley owns dewalt.

There are some fairly substantial differences in Milwaukee and Dewalt, primarily on the battery-powered side. Not that Milwaukee doesn't make some good products, but Dewalt is the best you can get.

I use them, literally, every day. My Milwaukee 1/2" has never failed. My dewalt has been rebuilt 3 times now. The Milwaukee is lighter and has a much better trigger pull. The dewalt may have more power but for what the average person would do with them you couldn't tell the difference.

I like both. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

This is like arguing if a Ferrari is better than a Lamborghini. They are both awesome.
BearlyHeardFrom
Gunny Hartman said:

So I just got word that after reporting the fake President Livingstone account to Twitter, the account got suspended. Why would somebody enjoy pretending to be someone else online? Not a parody account, but legitimately posing? People are weird.

Long game troll probably. Pretend to be her for a few weeks and then start spewing racist, sexist, crazy **** to further tarnish the good name of University of Baylor.
Gunny Hartman
Personally I prefer a Ferrari over a drill
GoldMind
I've never ridden in a Rari. I got to ride in a 98 model Diablo. ****ers are quick.
Gunny Hartman
Speaking of good ole U of B, somebody needs to tell Tyler Henderson that he signed with us and not them.

Check out Tyler Henderson (@OFFIClALTY):
https://twitter.com/OFFIClALTY?s=09
Ludwig von Missi
exr29070 said:

Did you miss BearMace's comment on the Lebby thread?
Steely Dan
What is a good introductory handgun? I have shotguns and long guns, but have never owned a handgun. I would want to conceal and carry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.