On this day in history...

162,767 Views | 1897 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A mistake when I was tired.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

A mistake when I was tired.
well, thank you for your consistency in posting these updates. I really enjoy them.
historian
You're welcome! I am gratified that you like them. They illustrate one of the many reasons I enjoy history so much.
LIB,MR BEARS
2017 Hurricane Harvey hits Rockport Tx
historian
Back on track.

August 27:

1776: Battle of Brooklyn. Gen. Washington's army was defeated but managed to escape in the middle of the night thanks to brilliant tactics and the availability of plenty of boats and, in the early morning, a fog that hid the final stages of the retreat.

1883: Krakatoa explodes on an island near Sumatra creating huge tsunamis and killing tens of thousands. It was the most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history.
MrGolfguy
August 27, 1977

Toby Harrah & Bump Wills of the Texas Rangers hit back to back inside the park home runs at Yankee Stadium in a 8-2 win over NY.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
LIB,MR BEARS
1990: Stevie Ray Vaughn is killed in a helicopter crash
historian
August 28:

1955: Emmett Till murdered.

1962: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech during the March on Washington.

1996: Charles & Diana divorced.
LIB,MR BEARS

This was Joseph speaking to his brothers; Gen 50:20: "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive." It, very much applies what was done to Emmit Till.
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

This was Joseph speaking to his brothers; Gen 50:20: "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive." It, very much applies what was done to Emmit Till.
Ooooh, that's nice! I like it when we can use God's word and learn from history.
whitetrash
August 28, 1997: Baylor unveils ToxicGreenBear. It remains Baylor's ungliest logo without challenge for nearly 22 years.

historian
August 29:

1533: Francisco Pizarro executed the last emperor of the Inca.

1862: Second Battle of Bull Run during the Civil War.

1949: Soviets tested their first atomic bomb. The U.S. was no longer the sole nuclear power.

2005: Hurricane devastated the Gulf Coast, especially New Orleans.
historian
August 30:

1963: Hotline established between the White House and the Kremlin in an effort to avoid another dangerous Cold War threat like the Cuban Missile Crisis.

1967: Thurgood Marshall confirmed as the nation's first black Supreme Court justice.

1983: Lt. Col. Guion Bulford became America's first black man to travel into space.
historian
August 31:

1886: An earthquake hit Charleston, South Carolina.

1888: Jack the Ripper murdered his first victim.

1935: Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt singed the Neutrality Act.

1997: Princess Diana was killed in a Paris car crash while trying to escape paparazzi.
Stranger
historian said:

August 31:

1997: Princess Diana was killed in a Paris car crash while trying to escape paparazzi.

On this day in 1945, George Ivan Morrison was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, who grew to be the greatest singer on the planet known as Van Morrison.
I'm a Bearbacker
LIB,MR BEARS
Stranger said:

historian said:

August 31:

On this day in 1945, George Ivan Morrison was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, who grew to be the greatest singer on the planet known as Van Morrison.
historian
September 1:

1775: Britain's King George III rejected the Olive Branch Petition sent by the Continental Congress. It was a last ditch effort for peace in the War for Independence.

1807: Aaron Burr acquitted of treason.

1864: Union forces under Gen. Sherman took Atlanta.

1939: Germany invaded Poland starting WWII.

1964: The first Japanese player debuted in MLB.

1969: Muammar al-Qaddafi's coup in Libya.

1972: Bobby Fisher won the World Chess Championship.

1983: The Soviets shot down KAL 007, killing everyone on board.

1985: Robert Ballard discovered the wreckage of the RMS Titanic.

2004: Chechen terrorists seized a Russian school and took over 1,000 people hostage. It did not go well for anyone there.
historian
September 2:

31 BC: Battle of Actium: Octavian defeated Mark Antony in a decisive naval battle off the coast of Greece. Mark Antony escaped to Egypt where he & Cleopatra committed suicide, inspiring Shakespeare.

1666: Beginning of the Great Fire of London.

1789: Congress created the U.S. Treasury. Pres. George Washington would name Alexander Hamilton to the cabinet post, the most important holder of the office of Secretary of Treasury in U.S. history.

1862: Pres. Abraham Lincoln reluctant restored Gen. George B. McClellan to command. He spent the first two and half years of the Civil War searching for a suitable commander, facing one costly loss after another. McClellan would bring him a costly victory at Antietam but fail to capitalize on the opportunity forcing his final dismissal. He would run against Lincoln in the 1864 presidential race.

1944: Naval aviator George H.W. Bush's squadron was attacked by Japanese forces. He was forced to bail out of his airplane over the ocean and was rescued.

1945: Aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay, representatives of the Japanese Empire surrendered to Gen. MacArthur & other Allied representatives bringing WWII to an official end.
historian
September 3:

1783: The Treaty of Paris was signed, finally ending the American War of Independence two years after the fighting had ceased.

1919: Pres. Wilson began his tour across the U.S. to promote his idea of the League of Nations. The tour would be cancelled after he collapsed from exhaustion in Pueblo, Colorado. Upon his return to Washington, he suffered a severe stroke and was bed-ridden for the remainder of his presidency. HIs wife, Edith Galt Wilson, carefully managed access to him during this time and often spoke on his behalf and so, in a way she was the first woman to be president of the U.S.

1939: Britain and France declared war on Germany two days after the invasion of Poland. The British government had issued an ultimatum to German Chancellor Adolf Hitler who had ignored it.

1943: Allied forces invaded the Italian mainland.
historian
September 4:

476: German leader Oadacer deposed Romulus Augustulus, thus ending the western Roman Empire. The eastern empire, AKA Byzantine Empire, would continue for almost 1000 years.

1886: Geronimo surrendered.

1918: American troops landed at Archangel in Russia as part of a larger Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War. The goal was to keep the eastern front open, to protect supplies provided to the former Tsarist regime, and to prevent the Bolsheviks from taking power. Ironically, the half-hearted effort helped the Bolsheviks by providing propaganda fodder.

1957: Arkansas Gov. Orville Faubus used the National Guard to prevent the desegregation of Little Rock High School.

1972: Mark Spitz won a 7th gold medal at the Munich Olympics.
historian
September 5:

1774: The First Continental Congress met in Philadelphia in response to the passage of the Coercive Acts by Parliament which were the British response to the Boston Tea Party.

1836: Sam Houston was elected the first President of the Republic of Texas. He would later be elected the third president as well.

1914: First Battle of the Marne began 30 miles northeast of Paris. The Parisians would use taxicabs to get soldiers to the front

1969: Lt. William Calley was charged for his role in the My Lai massacre in Vietnam.

1972: Palestinian terrorists stormed the rooms of the Israeli athletes, killing 2 and taking 9 more hostage.

1975: Lynette Fromm attempted to assassinate Pres. Gerald Ford in Sacramento, California.
historian
September 6:

1522: The Magellan voyage completed its circumnavigation of the globe, the first ever. Magellan sailed from Spain with 5 ships & only 1 returned without Magellan (he was killed in the Philippines) and yet the voyage was still profitable.

1847: Henry David Thoreau left Walden Pond.

1901: Pres. William McKinley was shot in Buffalo, NY. He died a few days later, propelling Theodore Roosevelt to the presidency.
MrGolfguy
Sept 6th

1620 - 149 Pilgrims set sail aboard the Mayflower

1716 - 1st US lighthouse is built in Boston

1966 - Star Trek debuts on NBC TV
historian
September 7:

1776: First submarine attack: American sailors aboard the Turtle attempted to attach a bomb to the British flagship but failed.

1940: The Blitz began as the Germans bombed London.

1977: Pres. Carter negotiated to transfer the Panama Canal back to Panamanian control.
historian
September 8:

1504: Michelangelo's masterpiece David was unveiled to the public.

1664: Governor Peter Stuyvesant surrendered New Amsterdam to the British who did not have to fire a single shot and the town was renamed New York.

1900: The worst natural disaster in U.S. history struck Galveston in the form of a hurricane that claimed 6,000 lives.

1935: Sen. Huey Long of Louisiana was shot by an enemy. He died shortly thereafter. He was a flamboyant popular politician with presidential ambitions (FDR saw him as a threat).

1941: The Germans began the siege of Leningrad. It would last two and a half years, claim hundreds of thousands of lives on both sides but ultimately fail.

1974: Pres. Ford pardoned Richard Nixon for his obstruction of justice in the Watergate fiasco.
LIB,MR BEARS
"Full, free and absolute" pardon.

And with that pardon, "our long,National nightmare" was over.
historian
September 9:

1850: California became the 31st state.

1919: The Boston police went on strike.

1971: Prisoners rioted in the Attica prison.

1976: Death of Mao Zedong
historian
September 10:

1608: Capt. John Smith was chosen to lead the Jamestown settlement in Virginia. His leadership would help them survive but he also made enemies.

1776: Nathan Hale volunteered to spy on the British behind enemy lines.

1813: The first defeat of a British naval squadron in history at the Battle of Lake Erie. The War of 1812 was a mixed bag for the U.S. with dramatic victories, mostly at sea, and stunning defeats. (Kinda like Baylor football...)

1833: Pres. Andrew Johnson used executive authority to remove all federal funds from the Second Bank of the United States, effectively killing the institution. Although it would take some time, he had won the "bank war."

1977: The French used the guillotine for the last time, to execute a convicted murderer.
MrGolfguy
9/10/1913 - the Lincoln Highway becomes the 1st paved coast to coast highway

9/10/1939 - Canada declares war on Germany

9/10/1953 - Swanson sells its 1st TV dinner

9/10/1955 - Gunsmoke premieres on CBS
historian
September 11:

1777: The Battle of Brandywine began.

1814: American won another naval victory over the British during the War of 1812 at Lake Champlain.

1857: Mormons and their Native American allies massacred a group of migrants in the Utah Territory.

1971: Death of Nikita Khrushchev, former dictator of the Soviet Union.

2001: AL Qaeda terrorists hijacked 4 planes and flew them into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon outside Washington, D.C. The 4th plane was headed to Washington, with the White House or Capitol its likely target, but the heroic passengers of United Flight 93 stormed the cockpit and forced it to crash into a Pennsylvania field killing no more people.
LIB,MR BEARS
September 12

1695 - New York Jews petition governor Dongan for religious liberties

1909 - World's first patent for synthetic rubber granted to German chemist Fritz Hofmann

1919 - Adolf Hitler joins the obscure German Worker's Party as its seventh member, agreeing not with worker's rights, but with its German Nationalism and antisemitism

1940 - Four teens, following their dog down a hole near Lascaux, France discover 17,000 year old drawings now known as the Lascaux Cave Paintings

1958 - US Supreme Court orders the all-white Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas to integrate

1964 - Film that started Spaghetti Western genre "A Fistful of Dollars" premieres, directed by Sergio Leone, starring Clint Eastwood in his first leading role

I had to save the best for last!

historian
September 12:

1846: English poets Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning eloped.

1940: Prehistoric cave paintings were discovered in France.

1953: Nikita Khrushchev was chosen as new Soviet dictator.

1962: JFK delivered a speech at Rice University challenging the US to reach the moon before the end of the decade.
historian
September 13:

1862: Union soldiers found a copy of Gen. Robert E. Lee's battle plans for the Antietam campaign.

1993: Israel and the PLO signed a Declaration of Principles, intended as the first step towards peace. It did not work out so well.
MrGolfguy
Sept 13, 1788 - NYC becomes the Capital of the USA
historian
September 14:

1812: During the bombardment of Ft. McHenry in the War of 1812, Francis Scott Key wrote the poem, "The Star Spangled Banner."

1812: Napoleon entered Moscow to find the city mostly abandoned. Since no one was there to surrender to him, he eventually was forced to begin the long journey back and it became a nightmare as his Grand Armee was decimated by Russian attacks and the Russian winter.

1847: Gen. Winfield Scott captured Mexico City during the Mexican-American War.

1982: Grace Kelly, Hollywood star and princess, died.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.