On this day in history...

162,847 Views | 1898 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by techpresentsb
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today in History, October 3:

1863: Pres. Lincoln proclaimed an official Thanksgiving holiday in gratitude for the victory at Gettysburg.

1895: Stephen Crane's novel, The Red Badge of Courage was published.

1932: Iraq won independence from the British mandate, a legacy of the collapse of the Ottoman Empire after WWI.

1942: German scientists conducted the first successful test of their V-2 rocket.

1990: German reunification after the fall of communism. A sign of the end of the Cold War.

1995: A jury found O.J. Simpson not guilty in the murder of his estranged wife and her friend.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MrGolfguy
October 4th:

1824 - Mexico becomes a Republic

1955 - Brooklyn Dodgers win their only World Series (beat NY Yankees)

1957 - Leave it to Beaver debuts on CBS

1970 - Janis Joplin dies at age 27
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
historian
October 4:

1777: Battle of Germantown

1918: The German government sent a telegram to Pres. Wilson seeking an armistice.

1927: Work began on Mt. Rushmore.

1957: The Soviets launched Sputnik, the first artificial satellite.

2011: Michael Morton, who spent 25 years in prison for murder, was exonerated by DNA evidence.
historian
October 5:

1813: Gen. William Henry Harrison defeated Shawnee chief Tecumseh

1947: Pres. Harry S. Truman delivered the first ever televised presidential speech.

2011: Death of Steve Jobs.
historian
October 6:

1908: The Austro-Hungarian Empire annexed Bosnia-Herzegovina, adding to the tensions in the Balkans.

1926: Babe Ruth hit a record 3 homers against the St. Louis Cardinals.

1973: Egypt and Syria staged a surprise attack on Israel in the Yom Kippur War. This was the first serious threat to Israel since that nation's modern rebirth in 1948 and also threatened to heat up the Cold War.

1981: Egyptian Pres. Anwar Sadat was assassinated 5 years after signing the Camp David Accords. Egypt was the first Arab nation to recognize Israel and he paid for it with his life. But it provided a certain degree of stability in the region.
historian
October 7:

1780: Battle of King's Mountain

1913: Debut of Ford's moving assembly line. This revolutionized manufacturing.

1949: Birth of East Germany.

1960: Sen. John F. Kennedy & VP Richard Nixon engaged in the second televised debate between the two presidential candidates.

2001: American attack on Afghanistan began.

2003: Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor of California.
historian
October 8:

1871: The Great Chicago Fire began.

1918: Corp. Alvin York displayed amazing bravery during WWI fighting in the Argonne: singlehandedly, he killed 20 Germans while capturing 132 others and destroying several of their guns.

1970: North Vietnamese communists rejected Pres. Richard Nixon's peace proposal.

2001: The Office of Homeland Security was established.
historian
October 9:

1635: Roger Williams was banished from the Massachusetts Bat colony.

1949: The German Luftwaffe bombed St Paul's Cathedral in central London.

1975: Andrei Sakharov won the Nobel Peace Prize.
historian
October 10:

732: Battle of Tours: Charlemagne's grandfather, Charles Martel, led his army of Christians in defeating Spanish Moors, thus stopping the Muslim conquest of Europe.

1775: Gen. William Howe named commander of British forces in America.

1845: Birth of U.S. Naval Academy.

1935: Premiere of Porgy and Bess, Gershwin's great American opera.

1973: Vice President Spiro Agnew resigned to to IRS allegations of tax evasion, to which he pled no contest.

1991: A former postal worker "went postal" killing former co-workers in Ridegewood, NJ.
whitetrash
historian said:

October 10:

732: Battle of Tours: Charlemagne's grandfather, Charles Martel, led his army of Christians in defeating Spanish Moors, thus stopping the Muslim conquest of Europe.
historian
October 11:

1962: Opening of Vatican II

1968: Apollo 7 launched: the first manned Apollo mission

1975: Bill Clinton married Hillary Rodham (and has been regretting it ever since!).

1975: Debut of Saturday Night Live. No Clinton skit to my knowledge.

1986: Ronald Reagan walks out of the Reykjavik summit with Mikhail Gorbachev over his refusal to give up on the Strategic Defensive Initiative (aka "Star Wars"). A year later he would sign the INF Treaty, the first successful nuclear arms agreement in history.

2014: Baylor football plays the best cfb game of the year with an amazing comeback against TCU: 24 unanswered points, 61-58, "One True Champion".
MrGolfguy
10/11/1890 - Daughters of the American Revolution founded

10/11/1958 - Pioneer 1 is launched; the 1st spacecraft launched by NASA

10/11/1984 - Kathy Sullivan becomes the 1st American woman to walk in space
hustlenflow
October 11:

2014: 61-58
historian
hustlenflow said:

October 11:

2014: 61-58
see above

But if anyone wants more:

That game never gets old! What a beautiful win for Baylor.
historian
October 12:

1492: Christopher Columbus landed on an island in the Caribbean (we don't know exactly which one) and therefore discovered America. Although the Vikings had settled in America hundreds of years earlier, their colonies failed and their voyages were nothing more than adventure stories to people in Scandinavia. It was Columbus that changed the world with his voyages.

1810: Bavarian Crown Prince, later to be Ludwig I, was married setting off celebrations including horse races that would be repeated the next year and thereafter. Thus began the annual tradition of Oktoberfest in Munich.

1945: Desmond Doss won the Congressional Medal of Honor, the first conscientious objector to win one. He was the inspiration for the recent film Hacksaw Ridge.

1960: Soviet dictator Nikita Khrushchev removed his shoe and either banged it on the table or threatened to while at the UN.

2000: American destroyer USS Cole attacked by terrorists while in Yemen.

2002: Terrorist attack on Bali.

2007: Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize for his propaganda book, An Inconvenient Truth.
historian
October 13:

1775: Birth of the U.S. Navy: Continental Congress authorized its creation.

1792: The cornerstone was laid in Washington, D.C. for the White House.

1943: Italy declared war on Germany. As in WWI, they switched sides.

2010: 33 miners who were trapped underground fr 69 days were rescued.
historian
October 14:

1066: Battle of Hastings: Norman leader William the Conquerer led his army to a defeat of King Harold II of England, who was killed in the battle. England has not been successfully invaded since.

1918: Corp. Adolf Hitler was wounded during a gas attack in Belgium and temporarily blinded. He spent the rest of WWI in a hospital recovering from his injuries and would learn of the German surrender while there.

1944: German Gen. Erwin Rommel committed suicide. The "Desert Fox", as he came to be known, was given the option over a trial for treason because of his role in the failed assassination plot of Adolf Hitler.

1947: Chuck Yeager became the first man to break the sound barrier in the X-1 rocket plane.

1962: An American U-2 spy plane flying over Cuba took photos with undeniable evidence that the Soviets were building nuclear missile sites on the island. This is the beginning of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the most dangerous of the Cold War crises, although it did not become public until a week later.

1964: Martin Luther King, Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize for nonviolent tactics while protesting racial injustice.

1964: The Soviet Politburo removed dictator Nikita Khrushchev from power, paving the way for Leonid Brezhnev to replace him.
LIB,MR BEARS
BIG day in 62!
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BIG day in 62!
and 1964
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BIG day in 62!
and 1964
yep
historian
October 15:

1863: The world's first successful combat submarine, the H. L. Hunley, sank during a trial run.

1917: Mata Hari was executed as a spy.

1945: Pierre Laval, one of the key figures in the Vichy regime in France, was executed for treason.

1946: Former Nazi leader Herman Gring committed suicide in prison while waiting to be hanged after being found guilty by the Nrnberg international war crimes tribunal.

1989: Wayne Gretzky broke NHL record for points scored in his career.

1990: Mikhail Gorbachev won the Nobel Peace Prize.

1991: Clarence Thomas was confirmed to the Supreme Court.
MrGolfguy
10/15/1939 - LaGuardia Airport opens in NYC

10/15/1951 - I Love Lucy premieres

10/15/1959 - The Untouchables premieres
historian
October 16:

1793: Marie Antoinette was beheaded.

1854: Abraham Lincoln spoke out publicly against slavery in a speech denouncing the Kansas-Nebraska Act because it opened those territories to slavery.

1859: Abolitionist John Brown led a group of fanatics in a raid on the federal armory in Harper's Ferry, Virginia. Of course, the crazy attack failed. Some of his followers were killed while he and the others were captured to be tried and executed for treason.

1934: Led by Mao Zedong, Chinese communists began the Long March to escape their enemies. They managed to survive and ultimately prevail.

1946: Nazi war criminals were executed at Nuernberg.

1964: China tested their first atomic bomb.

1991: A crazed gunman drove his truck through the window of a Luby's in Killeen, Texas and opened fire on the lunch crowd, killing 23.
historian
October 17:

1777: The U.S. won the important Battle of Saratoga in upstate New York. This crucial victory convinced France to sign a treaty of alliance, instrumental to America's ultimate victory in the War for Independence.

1835: The Republic of Texas formally created the Texas Rangers.

1931: Al Capone was sentenced to 11 years in prison for tax evasion.

1973: OPEC began their infamous oil embargo disrupting much of the world economy in retribution to the U.S. helping Israel to win the Yom Kippur War.

1989: An earthquake struck near San Francisco causing notable damage on a triple level highway in Oakland & on the Oakland-Bay Bridge. It also disrupted the World Series game in Candlestick Park.
historian
October 18:

1469: Ferdinand of Aragon married Isabella of Castille

1769: Mason Dixon line was drawn.

1867: The U.S. formally took possession of Alaska.

1898: The U.S. took control of Puerto Rico.
historian
October 19:

1781: Americans won the Battle of Yorktown, securing our independence as the British sought peace. The French aid was essential by cutting off the escape of Gen. Cornwallis and his forces.

1796: During the presidential campaign against Vice President John Adams, an anonymous newspaper editorial accused Thomas Jefferson of having an affair with one of his slaves.

1812: Napoleon's army is forced to retreat from Moscow. They had arrived a month earlier to find the city burning and abandoned. Now, they began the retreat which would prove disastrous, decimating his "Grand Armee" to a tiny fraction of its numbers.

1914: First Battle of Ypres during WWI.

1987: "Black Monday" as the Stock Market crashed in the largest ever one day percentage decline.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

October 19:

1781: Americans won the Battle of Yorktown, securing our independence as the British sought peace. The French aid was essential by cutting off the escape of Gen. Cornwallis and his forces.

1796: During the presidential campaign against Vice President John Adams, an anonymous newspaper editorial accused Thomas Jefferson of having an affair with one of his slaves.

1812: Napoleon's army is forced to retreat from Moscow. They had arrived a month earlier to find the city burning and abandoned. Now, they began the retreat which would prove disastrous, decimating his "Grand Armee" to a tiny fraction of its numbers.

1914: First Battle of Ypres during WWI.

1987: "Black Monday" as the Stock Market crashed in the largest ever one day percentage decline.

An important day on Sooooo many levels.
historian
October 20:

1803: Congress ratified the Louisiana Purchase.

1935: End of Mao's Long March.

1944: Gen. Douglas MacArthur returned to the Philippines as promised.

1947: HUAC began investigations of commies in Hollywood.

1973: The Sydney Opera House opened.

1973: "Saturday Night Massacre": Nixon wanted Watergate Special Prosecutor fired over demands that he turn over the tapes of Oval Office conversations. He eventually got it, but not before his Attorney General & Asst. AG also departed. Leon Jaworski (Baylor graduate) would be appointed to replace Cox and would continue where he left off.

2011: Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi killed by rebel forces.
historian
October 21:

1805: Battle of Trafalgar: a major naval victory of the British over Napoleon's forces. But the British paid a heavy price: Admiral Lord Nelson died in the battle.

1951: The Guggenheim Museum opened in NYC.
historian
October 22:

1797: First ever parachute jump over Paris.

1934: FBI agents killed "Pretty Boy" Floyd.

1962: Pres. Kennedy addressed the nation in a live TV broadcast announcing that the Soviets had been secretly building nuclear missile sites in Cuba and his response: a blockade ("quarantine") of the island. This began the public phase of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the most dangerous crisis of the Cold War.

2012: Cyclist Lance Armstrong was stripped of his 7 Tour de France titles.
historian
October 23:

42 BC: Brutus committed suicide.

1983: A suicide bomber drove a truck packed with explosives into the barracks of American forces in Beirut, killing 241 Marines.

1998: Mass murderer abortionist doctor was murdered himself in his home by a pro-life fanatic.

2002: Chechen rebels stormed a Moscow theater taking hundreds of people hostage.
Wichitabear
This is not a very joyful day in history. Lol
historian
October 24:

1648: Peace of Westphalia ending the Thirty Years' War

1861: Western Union completed the first transcontinental telegraph line.

1931: Dedication of the George Washington Bridge over the Hudson River.

1945: UN Charter goes into effect.

2003: Final flight of the Concorde.
historian
October 25:

1415: Battle of Agincourt during the Hundred Years' War.

1764: Marriage of John Adams & Abigail Smith.

1854: Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War.

1929: Sec. of the Interior Albert Fall found guilty of accepting a bribe in the Teapot Dome scandal.

1944: During the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the Japanese used Kamikaze attacks for the first time. The Americans still won this battle, the largest naval battle in history.

1971: The UN expelled Taiwan & seated the People's Republic of China in their place.

1983: U.S. invasion of Grenada.
historian
October 26:

1775: King George III spoke to Parliament proclaiming the North American colonies to be in rebellion.

1825: Erie Canal opened.

1881: Gunfight at the OK Corral

1944: Japanese airplanes destroyed the carrier USS Hornet.

2001: Pres. George W. Bush signed the Patriot Act into law.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.