On this day in history...

162,823 Views | 1898 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by techpresentsb
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bet I have watched Secretariat ( the movie) at least 6 times and I tear up everytime. lol
historian
It's an excellent movie for many reasons. I like the quote from scripture, the use of a gospel song, and the emphasis in capitalism.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Wichitabear
historian said:

It's an excellent movie for many reasons. I like the quote from scripture, the use of a gospel song, and the emphasis in capitalism.
me too. Loved watching Big Red.
historian
historian
June 10:

1692: Bridget Bishop of Salem in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, became the first to be hanged as a witch in what became the witch scare.

1752: American scientist and inventor Benjamin Franklin flew a kite during a thunderstorm to demonstrate the connection between lightning and electricity.

1775: During the Second Continental Congress, meeting in Philadelphia, John Adams proposed the patriot forces laying siege to British occupied Boston, be labeled a Continental Army and that George Washington of Virginia be named its commander.

1935: Founding of Alcoholics Anonymous by Bill Wilson and Dr. Robert Smith.

1940: Norway surrendered to the Germans

1940: Italy declared war on France and Great Britain

historian
June 11:

1509: Marriage of the future king Henry VIII to Catherine of Aragon of Spain, daughter of Ferdinand & Isabella.

1776: The Continental Congress appointed a committee of five members to draft the Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson, primary author, was aided by John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, & Robert Livingston.

1944: Allied forces from the D-Day landing in France converged in Normandy.

1949: Grand Ole Opry debut of Hank Williams, Sr.

1963: The University of Alabama was desegregated after Gov. George Wallace chose not to defy the federalized National Guard.

1963: A Buddhist monk immolated himself to protest the government of Ngo Dinh Diem, unpopular leader of South Vietnam.

1967: The Israeli forces defeated the neighboring countries of Egypt, Syria, and Jordan in the Six Days War through a UN-brokered cease fire. They also gained control of the Golan Heights, the Sinai Peninsula, and Judea & Samaria (aka the West Bank) along with eastern Jerusalem, formerly controlled by Arabs.

1979: Death of John Wayne

historian
June 12:

1898: Filipino rebels led by Emilio Aguinaldo declared independence of the Philippines from Spanish rule.

1924: Birthday of George H. W. Bush, future president of the U.S.

1942: Anne Frank received a diary as a birthday present.

1963: Assassination of civil rights leader Medgar Evers.

1975: Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi was convicted of election fraud.

1987: Pres. Ronald Reagan delivered a speech in West Berlin with the Berlin Wall and Brandenburg Gate as backdrop, challenging Soviet Premiere Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!"

1994: Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman outside her home in Brentwood, California. Suspicion would fall on her ex-husband, O. J. Simpson.

2016: A terrorist gunman attacked a nightclub in Orlando killing 49.

2017: Otto Warmbier returned from captivity in North Korea in a comatose state. He died soon after.

shamsmehra90
One of the BEST MOVIE I've ever seen! <3

Regards..
historian
I know I'm slow at 3 a.m., but what movie is that?
historian
June 13:

323 B.C.: Alexander the Great died in Babylon at the age of 33.

1381: During the Peasants' Revolt, a large mob of peasants marched on London to begin burning and looting.

1777: The Marquise de Lafayette, a 19 year old French aristocrat, arrived in South Carolina so that he could serve with Gen. George Washington.

1807: Pres. Thomas Jefferson was subpoenaed to testify in the treason trial of his former vice president, Aaron Burr. He refused to appear to help Burr but Chief Justice John Marshall acquitted Burr anyway for lack of evidence.

1966: The U.S. Supreme Court announced its ruling in the landmark case of Miranda v. Arizona, establishing the requirement that Americans accused of crimes must be informed of the rights, or be "Mirandized."

1967: Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson appointed Thurgood Marshall to become the first black Supreme Court justice.

1971: The New York Timespublished the "Pentagon Papers", parts of stolen classified documents relating to the war in Vietnam.

1983: Pioneer 10 departed our solar system, the first man-made probe to do so, over 11 years after its launch on March 2, 1972.
historian
I think the entire decade was very tense. Although I was born in that decade, it's hard to think of very much positive that came out of it--in terms of US or world history--except for the obvious: the Civil Rights movement made real headway, at least 100 years late.
historian
June 14:

1777: Flag Day: Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as America's national flag

1789: The survivors of the HMS Bounty reached Timor a few weeks after their famous mutiny.

1811: Birthday of Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist author of Uncle Tom's Cabin

1846: Beginning of the Bear Flag Revolt in Mexican California. American explorer John C. Fremont was one of the instigators of the rebellion which aided in the eventual annexation of California during the Mexican-American War which began that year.

1940: German forces conquered Paris.

1982: End of the Falklands War: Argentina surrendered after their failed effort to conquer the islands controlled by the UK.

1985: TWA flight 847 from Athens to Rome was hijacked by Shiite Hezbollah terrorists and forced to land in Beirut, Lebanon. The terrorists' efforts to single out Jews failed thanks to the protection of an airline employee. An American member of the US Navy, was the only passenger killed but the rest of the hostages were eventually released.

2017: A crazed gunman shot 5 people at a practice for a charity baseball game, including Congressman Steve Scalise.

Nguyen One Soon
2017: Minor difference, but it was a practice session for the annual Congressional Baseball Game, not the game itself.
historian
Nguyen One Soon said:

2017: Minor difference, but it was a practice session for the annual Congressional Baseball Game, not the game itself.
Thanks. It has been corrected.
historian
Today is Flag Day. I edited the original post to include that important bit.
historian
June 15:

1215: King John agreed to the Magna Carta after a rebellion by English barons. It would be foundational in the development of English concepts of rights, including due process also important to Americans.

1300: Dante Alighieri was named one of the priors of Florence, a position of some political importance.

1775: George Washington was named commander of the Continental Army.

1846: Representatives of the Great Britain & the US signed a treaty establishing the border between the US and Canada.

1864: Beginning of the Civil War Battle of Petersburg. It would be an important victory for Ulysses S. Grant, commander of the Army of the Potomac.

1877: Henry Ossian Flipper became the first black American to graduate from West Point.

1917: Congress passed the Espionage Act as part of America's WWI policies.

1946: The U.S. presented the Baruch Plan for the international control of atomic weapons to the United Nations.
historian
June 16:

1858: Abraham Lincoln gave his famous "House Divided" speech at the Republican Illinois Convention in Springfield.

1884: The first roller coaster opened in America at Coney Island. At traveled at a blazing speed o 6 mph.

1903: Incorporation of the Ford Motor Company

1961: Russian ballet star Rudolf Nureyev defected from the Soviet Union.

1963: Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman to travel in space.
Keyser Soze
On June 16, 1975, the Los Angeles Lakers acquired Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Walt Wesley from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman and Dave Meyers

Maybe the worse trades in NBA history for the Bucks
historian
June 17:

1579: During his circumnavigation of the globe, English explorer Francis Drake claimed California for England.

1775: Beginning of the Battle of Bunker Hill: British General Thomas Gage ordered his troops ordered a frontal assault on the American's fortified position on Breed's Hill.

1885: The Statue of Liberty arrived in New York Harbor. A gift from the people of France, it was initially intended to celebrate the nation's centennial in 1876 but the project was delayed due to funding difficulties.

1940: During the evacuation of Dunkirk, new British Prime Minister Winston Churchill

1953: East German workers protested against the oppressive communist government. The demonstrations were brutally suppressed by the Soviets' Red Army.

1972: Five burglars were arrested for breaking into the Democratic National Committee headquarters in the Watergate Complex in Washington, D.C. The amateurish crime would spark multiple investigations and eventually lead to the resignation of Pres. Richard M. Nixon in disgrace in the biggest political scandal in U.S history.

1994: O.J. Simpson led the police on a low-speed chase along IH 405 in Los Angeles prior to his arrest for the murder of his ex-wife and her friend.

2015: A crazed gunman entered Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina killing nine people attending a Bible Study.
historian
June 18:

1778: After months of occupation, British forces abandoned Philadelphia.

1798: Congress passed the Alien & Sedition Acts during the Quasi War, an undeclared naval war with France. This weakened the administration of Pres. John Adams and ultimately helped his friend turned rival, Thomas Jefferson, to defeat him in the 1800 presidential election.

1812: The U.S. Congress voted to declare war on Britain over tensions relating to British treatment of Americans in Europe during their war with Napoleon's France. Pres. James Madison signed the declaration of war, the first in U.S. history, reluctantly and led the nation through the duration.

1815: Battle of Waterloo: Napoleon was defeated outside a Belgian town for the last time. He was then sent to an island in the South Atlantic, St. Helena, exiled for the remainder of his life.

1940: Adolf Hitler met with Benito Mussolini in Munich

1960: Arnold Palmer won the U.S. Open.

1797: Pres. Jimmy Carter & Soviet dictator Leonid Brezhnev signed the SALT II agreement in an attempt to limit nuclear weapons. It was meaningless, as the Soviets were in the midst of the largest military build-up in history.

1983: Sally Ride became the first American woman to travel in space.
historian
June 19:

1856: The first national convention of the brand new Republican Party concluded in Philadelphia with the nomination of John C. Fremont, the "Pathfinder", as their presidential candidate.

1865: "Juneteenth": the abolition of slavery was announced in Texas.

1867: The "Emperor of Mexico" was executed on the orders of the president of Mexico. Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian had been installed by Napoleon III, emperor of France, a few years earlier.

1868: Jesuit Priest Pierre-Jean De Smet engaged in peace talks with Sitting Bull.

1944: The U.S. Navy won a major victory over Japan in the Battle of the Philippine Sea. Also known as the "Marianas Turkey Shoot", American carrier-based fighters devastated the Japanese fleet while suffering minimal casualties themselves in a very lopsided victory.

1953: Julius & Ethel Rosenberg were executed for espionage. They had been convicted of providing atomic secrets to the Soviets.

1990: Brady Heslip's birthday.

2014: Felipe VI became king of Spain after the abdication of Juan Carlos I.
historian
June 20:

1782: Congress adopted the Great Seal of the United States.

1789: Tennis Court Oath: Shut out of the meeting room of the Estates General due to disagreements over voting procedures, France's Third Estate (representing most of the population) moved into an indoor tennis court and vowed not to disband until they could draft a new constitution. This was a major early step in the French Revolution.

1863: West Virginia was admitted as the 35thstate. Originally part of Virginia, these western counties with few slaves chose to remain loyal to the Union after Virginia had seceded and joined the Confederacy.

1900: The Boxer Rebellion began in China as radical nationalists launched violent attacks against foreigners after decades of exploitation and mistreatment by Europeans in their own homeland.

1919: The German Cabinet resigned over their inability to agree on whether or not to agree to the Treaty of Versailles negotiated by the victors of WWI and presented to the defeated Germans with none of their input. This harsh treaty (or at least the Germans perceived at as such) was one of the reasons for the rise of Hitler.

1947: Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel, responsible for bringing organized crime to the West Coast, was gunned down in the home of his mistress in Beverly Hills. Siegel also transformed Las Vegas into a major center for tourism and gambling.

1963: The U.S. and the Soviet Union agreed to create a nuclear "hot line" to provide direct communication during a future crisis. One of the major dangers of the recently concluded Cuban Missile Crisis was the lack of such communication and the reliance on third party intermediaries.
historian
June 21:

1779: Spain declared war on Great Britain. Although unrelated to the American War for Independence and unallied, the Spanish war with Britain indirectly aided our cause.

1788: New Hampshire became the ninth state to ratify the U.S. Constitution, the minimum number needed for its implementation. Eventually, the rest of the states would follow but for some it would be years.

1810: Future president Zachary Taylor married Margaret Smith.

1813: Napoleon's forces were defeated in Spain ending the Peninsular campaign.

1916: America's controversial military expedition into Mexico to chase after Pancho Villa was attacked by Mexican forces suffering 22 casualties. Led by Gen. John J. Pershing, the expedition never succeeding in capturing the Mexican outlaw.

1940: Future president Richard M. Nixon married Patricia Ryan.

1942: Allied forces surrendered at Tobruk, Libya. Gen. Erwin Rommel, the "Desert Fox", again proved his cunning.

1964: A KKK lynch mob murdered 3 civil rights activists: Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman, and James Chaney near Meridian, Mississippi.

1989: Nick Florence's birthday

1990: A 7.7 earthquake struck northern Iran killing apx. 50,000 people.

Keyser Soze
a day late 6/20/75 Happy 45th

historian
I am deliberately limiting the pop culture references.
historian
June 22:

1611: English explorer Henry Hudson was set adrift by mutineers

1775: The U.S. Congress issued Continental collars to help finance the War for Independence.

1864: Union forces attempted to capture a railroad junction at Petersburg, Virginia but were thwarted by forces of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

1876: General Santa Anna died in Mexico City.

1898: Birthday of Erich Maria Remarque, author of All Quiet on the Western Front

1941: Operation Barbarossa: German invasion of the Soviet Union. In the greatest invasion force in history, the Germans attacked their Soviet ally and quickly advanced hundreds of miles over the next few months reaching the outskirts of Moscow and besieging Leningrad and Stalingrad. But the Russian winter would strike and the Germans would not conquer any of those three cities.

1944: Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the GI Bill into law. Designed to compensate returning soldiers from WWII, it provided sweeping social services to veterans including education and low-interest home and business loans.

1945: U.S. forces won the Battle of Okinawa.
historian
June 23:

1940: Hitler toured Paris.

1956: Gamal Abdel Nasser was elected president of Egypt.

1972: The Title IX education amendments to the Civil Rights Act were enacted.

1992: Mafia boss John Gotti was sentenced to life in prison.

2018: A Thai soccer team was trapped in a cave.
historian
June 24:

1675: King Philip's War began with the massacre of English settlers in Massachusetts by a band of Indian warriors.

1812: Napoleon's Grande Armee invaded Russia. This would be the beginning of the end for the French emperor.

1948: Berlin Blockade: The Soviets blockade West Berlin in an attempt to force the western powers out and stem the "brain drain" of educated East Berliners to freedom in the west.

1970: The Senate repealed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution that had authorized the use of military force in Vietnam 6 years earlier.

1997: US Air Force released a 231 page report debunking the silly claims of a UFO crashing in Roswell, NM in 1947.
historian
June 25:

1876: The Battle of Little Big Horn: A combined force of Sioux and Cheyenne Indians led by Crazy Horse & Sitting Bull annihilated Gen. George Armstrong Custer's 600 man army.

1943: Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower took command of US forces in Europe.

1950: The Korean War began when the North Korean army invaded South Korea.

1950: The US defeated England to win the World Cup.

1996: Islamofascist terrorists bombed the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia killing 19 US airmen.

2009: Death of Michael Jackson
historian
June 26:

1541: Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro, conqueror of the Incas, was assassinated in Lima by Spanish rivals.

1917: The first American troops arrived in France during WWI.

1945: The UN Charter was signed in San Francisco.

1948: Berlin Airlift: In response to the Soviet blockade of West Berlin, the U.S. began to airlift supplies to the city of 2 million. This continued for a year until the Soviets finally backed down.

1956: Congress passed the Federal Highway Act, authorizing the appropriation of funds for the construction of the interstate highway system.

1959: St. Lawrence Seaway opened

1963: Pres. John F. Kennedy declared his solidarity with the people of West Berlin during a visit there by delivering a speech with the famous line, "Ich bin ein Berliner" ("I am a Berliner").

1975: The divorce of Sonny & Cher was finalized.

1993: Pres. Bill Clinton punished Iraq for their plot to assassinate former president George H.W. Bush by using Tomahawk cruise missiles to destroy the headquarters of Iraqi intelligence in Baghdad.

2003: Death of former US Senator Strom Thurmond, who holds the record for the longest time in office46 years.
historian
June 27:

1829: English scientist James Smithson established the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

1844: Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon religion, was killed by a mob in Carthage, Illinois.

1940: The Germans used the Enigma coding machine for the first time.

1950: Pres. Truman ordered U.S. military forces to Korea to help defend South Korea after they were invaded by the communists of the north.
historian
June 28:

1519: Charles I of Spain was elected the Holy Roman emperor as Charles V after bribing German electors. His ambitions to reunite the German states into a mighty empire were destroyed by the Protestant Reformation which had begun 1.5 years earlier.

1836: Death of former president James Madison on his plantation in Virginia

1914: The assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie while on a state visit in Sarajevo. This spark ignited a chain of events leading to the outbreak of the greatest war in human history at that time, WWI.

1919: John Maynard Keynes left the Paris Peace Conference in protest to the Treaty of Versailles. He became one of the most vocal critics of the treaty, publishing in December a scathing critique, "The Economic Consequences of the Peace", in which he argued that it would cause economic chaos.

1940: The British government recognized Gen. Charles de Gaulle as the leader of the Free French Forces.

1969: The Stonewall riots began in Greenwich Village in New York City.

1972: Pres. Richard Nixon announced that draftees would no longer be sent to Vietnam, effectively ending the draft.

1992: Two powerful earthquakes hit southern California.

1992: During a fight with Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson bit his opponent's ear.
historian
June 29:

1613: The Globe Theatre, where most of Shakespeare's plays had their premiere, burned down.

1941: The advancing German armies captured Lvov in the Ukraine and began murdering thousands of its citizens.

1958: Brazil defeated Sweden to win the World Cup under the leadership of Pel.

1967: Actress Jayne Mansfield died in a car wreck.

1972: Furman v Georgia: The Supreme Court declared the death penalty unconstitutional as it was then operating under Georgia & federal law.

1974: With Pres. Juan Pern on his deathbed, Isabel Pern became the first woman president of Argentina. She was his third wife and vice president.

1995: The space shuttle Atlantis docked with the Russian Mir space station to create the largest man-made satellite that has orbited the earth.

2003: Death of actress Katherine Hepburn
historian
June 30:

1859: Jean Francois Gravelet crossed Niagara Falls on a tightrope.

1934: Night of Long Knives: Hitler's purge of the SA led by his friend Ernst Rhm. Rhm was getting to powerful and independent for Hitler's tastes so his friend and ally had to goalong with the entire organization. Hundreds of Nazis died as a result, including Rhm.

1936: Publication of Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind.

1974: Defection of famed Soviet ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov.
historian
July 1:

1863: Beginning of the Battle of Gettysburg: Union & Confederate forces clashed near the small town in southern Pennsylvania when southern forces went looking for shoes.

1867: Canadian Independence Day: Great Britain recognized the autonomous Dominion of Canada. Canadians would have an independent government but still maintain ties to the British.

1898: American forces fought the Spanish at El Caney & San Juan Hill in Cuba. Theodore Roosevelt and the Rough Riders were an important part of the fight

1916: Beginning of the Battle of the Somme. The British launched a major offensive against German positions on the western front, partly to provide some relief for the French who were bogged down at Verdun. The British suffered horribly on this first day with apx 20,000 killed and 40,000 wounded. To make matters worse, after 4 months of bitter fighting, they would win only a small territory while continuing to suffer huge casualties with similar experiences at Verdun.

1942: Beginning of the Battle of El Alamein: British forces under Gen. Bernard Montgomery began a fight in North Africa against German forces under Field Marshal Erwin Rommel. The British would succeed in driving the Germans out of Egypt and thus denying them control of the vital Suez Canal.

1947: Prestigious journal Foreign Affairs published an article by "X" (George F. Kennan) about the aims of the Soviets in postwar Europe. The essay called for a policy of containment which became America's policy during the early years of the Cold War.

1979: Sony Walkman went on sale for the first time.

1997: Hong Kong reverted back to Chinese control and their nightmare began. The city was granted special privileges but the communist dictators were never happy with that as recent events have made clear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.