On this day in history...

162,765 Views | 1897 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I didn't know that. I guess that's why you are the Historian.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

historian said:

June 25:

1876: Custer died at Battle of Little Big Horn

1950: Korean War began when the communists of North Korea invaded South Korea

The NK invasion of SK led to one of the few times the UN worked the way it was supposed to work.

That was strong American leadership as much as the UN. Also some dumb luck: The only reason the UN acted at all is that the Soviet ambassador had walked out earlier to protest something unrelated and was not present to veto the decision.
I wasn't aware of the Soviet ambassador walking out. Good to know.
historian
I believe I learned that in a Baylor history class!
historian
June 26:

1945: UN Charter signed

1948: Berlin airlift began

1963: JFK in Berlin: "I am a jelly doughnut!" OK he actually said, "Ich bin ein Berliner!" which everyone understood to mean he was a Berlin native. He asked the mayor of W Berlin, WIlly Brandt, about it before giving the speech. It's an old joke: they do have jelly doughnuts named "Berliners". I had a mini version last time I was in the city.
Mitch Blood Green
35 years ago, yesterday, Prince dropped Purple Rain. 10 years ago yesterday, Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett dropped.

Yesterday. All my troubles seemed so far away.
whitetrash
historian said:

June 26:

1945: UN Charter signed

1948: Berlin airlift began

1963: JFK in Berlin: "I am a jelly doughnut!" OK he actually said, "Ich bin ein Berliner!" which everyone understood to mean he was a Berlin native. He asked the mayor of W Berlin, WIlly Brandt, about it before giving the speech. It's an old joke: they do have jelly doughnuts named "Berliners". I had a mini version last time I was in the city.
Good thing the Soviets blockaded Berlin instead of Vienna; otherwise JFK would have declared "Ich bin ein Wiener!"
historian
Even if it were true!
MrGolfguy
6/26/1876 - Custer's last stand

6/26/1964 - The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night" album dropped
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Keyser Soze
45 years ago today the bar code appeared
Yogi
Keyser Soze said:

45 years ago today the bar code appeared
Is that the ethics one?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
historian
June 27:

1829: Smithsonian Institution established

1844: mob killed Joseph Smith, founder of Mormon church
LIB,MR BEARS
1973: LHP David Clyde starts for the Texas Rangers 20 days after pitching in the HS state championship.
historian
June 28:

1519: Charles I elected Holy Roman Emperor

1914: Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie were assassinated while on a trip to Sarajevo by Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip of the Black Hand. This began a series of events leading to the outbreak of the biggest war in human history to that time, World War I. If you really want to learn more about that fateful summer, read Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August. It's an excellent book.

historian
June 29:

1613: Globe Theater burned down

1967: death of Jayne Mansfield in a car crash

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
LIB,MR BEARS
1652 - Massachusetts declared itself an independent commonwealth

1767 - The British Parliament approved the Townshend Revenue Acts. The acts imposed import duties on glass, lead, paint, paper and tea shipped to America. Let the party begin.

MrGolfguy
6/29/1863 - The 1st First National Bank opens (it was in Iowa)

6/29/1916 - Boeing aircraft flies for the 1st time

6/29/1956 - the 1st high jump over 7 feet (Charles Dumas)
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

1652 - Massachusetts declared itself an independent commonwealth

1767 - The British Parliament approved the Townshend Revenue Acts. The acts imposed import duties on glass, lead, paint, paper and tea shipped to America. Let the party begin.
Actually, the "party" began a couple years earlier with the Stamp Act, the Stamp Act Congress, and a series of protests & boycotts led by the Sons of Liberty. But the Townshend Revenue Acts certainly were an important step on the road to the American Revolution.
historian
June 30:

1520: Montezuma II killed during an Aztec revolt against Cortes and the Spanish. Cortes and his men were forced to retreat during the revolt but returned the next year to complete his destruction of the Aztec Empire.

1934: "Knight of Long Knives": Hitler's purge of the SA and other internal elements viewed as a threat to his power.
MrGolfguy
6/30/1934 - Portsmouth Spartans become the Detroit Lions

6/30/1936 - Gone with the Wind is published

6/30/1982 - New Jersey Devils new NHL franchise
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

June 30:

1520: Montezuma II killed during an Aztec revolt against Cortes and the Spanish. Cortes and his men were forced to retreat during the revolt but returned the next year to complete his destruction of the Aztec Empire.

1934: "Knight of Long Knives": Hitler's purge of the SA and other internal elements viewed as a threat to his power.

so, let Montezuma's Revenge begin???
MrGolfguy
7/1/1847 - US issues its 1st postage stamps

7/1/1966 - Medicare goes into effect

7/1/1987 - WFAN radio in New York City becomes the 1st 24 hour all sports station
historian
July 1: Military history edition: 2 biggest wars in human history, costliest war in US history, plus the Cold War:

1863: first day of Battle of Gettysburg

1898: Battle of San Juan Hill during the Spanish-American War

1916: beginning of the Battle of the Somme during WWI

1942: beginning of the Battle of El Alamein during WWII

1947: George F. Kennan (aka "Mr. X") published important article in Foreign Affairs outlining America's containment policy towards the Soviets and international communism. This defined the Cold War for Americans until Vietnam and Nixon.

historian
1997: Hong Kong returned to China--we know how that is going now.
Wichitabear
Big mistake.
historian
They did not really have any choice.
ABC BEAR
July 2 - In 1862, Lincoln signs legislation granting land for state agricultural colleges. Aggie infestation in Texas would later reach pandemic levels because of this legislation. Thanks Abe.

July 2 - 1962, Sam Walton opens first Walmart

July 2 - In 1982 Larry Walters uses 42 helium balloons and a lawn chair to reach 16,000'
historian
July 2:

1776: Second Continental Congress voted for independence. John Adams wrote to his wife the next day,

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

He was off by two days.

1839: mutiny on slave ship Amistad

1881: Pres. James A. Garfield shot

1937: Amelia Earhart disappeared
Wichitabear
What a message though. Just sends chills up me. It should for everyone. He must be rolling over in his grave to see what we have done to our America. A tear rolling down his cheek.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

July 2:

1776: Second Continental Congress voted for independence. John Adams wrote to his wife the next day,

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

He was off by two days.

1839: mutiny on slave ship Amistad

1881: Pres. James A. Garfield shot

1937: Amelia Earhart disappeared

historian, I took the liberty of posting the 1776 portion of your post to my Facebook page. Nice job.

The note to Adams wife gives some insight to the weight that must have been on their shoulders.
Wichitabear
Just such an inspiring letter of love and the value of freedom. What our troops under President Washington fought for and the hardship they endured for our freedom should never be forgotten.
Wichitabear
I'm watching this situation and cheering Hong Kong on
historian
I try to use that quote (or parts of it) when I teach that part of U.S. history for the reasons Wichitabear states.

The letters between John & Abigail Adams are an amazing testimony to their love, patriotism, and faith.

For anyone who is interested:

https://www.masshist.org/digitaladams/archive/letter/
Wichitabear
Good for you Historian!!!!
historian
July 3:

1775: George Washington took command of the Continental Army in Massachusetts.

1863: Union won the Battle of Gettysburg after the total failure of Pickett's charge.
MrGolfguy
7/3/1861 - Pony Express arrives in San Francisco with overland letters from NY

7/3/1939 - Lou Gehrig makes his "luckiest man" speech

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.