On this day in history...

162,777 Views | 1897 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
September 15:

1857: Birth of William H. Taft, future president of the U.S.

1858: Beginning of the first transcontinental mail service to San Francisco.

1890: Birth of novelist Agatha Christi.

1914: The first trenches were dug on the Western Front, a staple of that front during WWI.

1916: Tanks were introduced during the Battle of the Somme.

1935: Nazi Germany promulgated the Nuremberg Laws that stripped Jews of their citizenship and imposed draconian limitations on their personal and professional lives.

1950: U.S. forces landed at Inchon, a feat thought impossible, and began the liberation of South Korea.

1963: Four schoolgirls were killed in a Birmingham church bombing, perpetrated by a domestic terrorist organization known as the Ku Klux Klan.

1978: Muhammad Ali won the world heavyweight championship in New Orleans by defeating Leon Spinks.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
I added a bit for September 12, 1962, since Pres. Kennedy gave this speech at Rice on that day:

historian
September 16:

1620: The Mayflower departed England.

1810: Mexican War of Independence began.

1908: William Durant created General Motors.

1977: Opera singer Maria Callas died.

2013: A gunman killed a dozen people in the Washington, D.C. Naval Yard.
historian
September 17:

1787: Today is Constitution Day! On this day in 1787, the Constitution was signed by almost every delegate to the Philadelphia convention. It would be sent to the states for eventual ratification.

1862: Bloodiest day in American history, the Battle of Antietam. More Americans died on this day than any other day in U.S. history. It was a confusing battle but in the end, Gen. George McClellan's Union forces prevailed over Gen. Robert E. Lee's Confederates who were forced to retreat. McClellan's failures during and after the campaign led Pres. Abraham Lincoln to relieve of his command for the second and final time. It also would provide the president a nominal victory leading to the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation.

1939: The meaning of the Nazi-Soviet Non-aggression Pact of August became clear when the Soviets invaded Poland. The alliance between Hitler & Stalin had included secret protocols to divide Eastern Europe between them. This now became apparent to the world.

1976: NASA revealed the first space shuttle, Enterprise. It was inspired by the film franchise Star Trek but never flew.

1978: Egyptian President Anwar el-Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachim Begin signed the Camp David Accords in what is probably the most significant step towards Middle East peace. Egypt formally recognized Israel, the first Arab state to do so, and Israel returned the Sinai peninsula which had been taken in the 1967 Six Day War. The goal of a broader regional peace remains elusive.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

September 17:

1787: Today is Constitution Day! On this day in 1787, the Constitution was signed by almost every delegate to the Philadelphia convention. It would be sent to the states for eventual ratification.

1862: Bloodiest day in American history, the Battle of Antietam. More Americans died on this day than any other day in U.S. history. It was a confusing battle but in the end, Gen. George McClellan's Union forces prevailed over Gen. Robert E. Lee's Confederates who were forced to retreat. McClellan's failures during and after the campaign led Pres. Abraham Lincoln to relieve of his command for the second and final time. It also would provide the president a nominal victory leading to the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation.

1939: The meaning of the Nazi-Soviet Non-aggression Pact of August became clear when the Soviets invaded Poland. The alliance between Hitler & Stalin had included secret protocols to divide Eastern Europe between them. This now became apparent to the world.

1976: NASA revealed the first space shuttle, Enterprise. It was inspired by the film franchise Star Trek but never flew.

1978: Egyptian President Anwar el-Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachim Begin signed the Camp David Accords in what is probably the most significant step towards Middle East peace. Egypt formally recognized Israel, the first Arab state to do so, and Israel returned the Sinai peninsula which had been taken in the 1967 Six Day War. The goal of a broader regional peace remains elusive.

The first two are so powerful. The last is so sad as it led to Sadat's death and a long list of created obstacles.
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

historian said:

September 17:

The first two are so powerful. The last is so sad as it led to Sadat's death and a long list of created obstacles.
Exactly why I have a little more explanation.
Wichitabear
Good job Historian!
BellCountyBear
historian said:

September 16:

1620: The Mayflower departed England.

1810: Mexican War of Independence began.

1908: William Durant created General Motors.

1977: Opera singer Maria Callas died.

2013: A gunman killed a dozen people in the Washington, D.C. Naval Yard.

Wait, you mean Mexico didn't like people crossing their borders illegally?!
historian
BellCountyBear said:

Wait, you mean Mexico didn't like people crossing their borders illegally?!
They still don't from what I hear.
LIB,MR BEARS
September 18

1850 The U.S. Congress passes the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850.

1851 First publication of The New-York Daily Times, which later becomes The New York Times

1906 The 1906 Hong Kong typhoon kills an estimated 10,000 people

1939 World War II: The radio show Germany Calling begins transmitting Nazi propaganda

1943 World War II: Adolf Hitler orders the deportation of Danish Jews.

historian
September 18:

1793: The cornerstone for the Capitol was laid in Washington.

1862: Gen. George McClellan allowed Confederate forces to escape the day after the victory at Antietam.
historian
September 19:

1893: New Zealand became the first country to give women the vote.

1955: Juan Peron was deposed in Argentina.

1959: During a visit to the U.S. Soviet dictator Nikita Khrushchev was prevented from visiting Disneyland. It seems everyone wanted to go there back in the day.

1985: Mexico City earthquake
historian
September 20:

1519: Ferdinand Magellan sets out on his famous voyage of exploration that would eventually complete the first circumnavigation of the globe, although he would be killed during the journey.

1806: The Corps of Discovery, led by Lewis and Clark, return to the first white settlement on the Missouri River after a lengthy trek across the continent to the Pacific Ocean and back.
MrGolfguy
9/20/1968 - Mickey Mantle hits the final HR of his career (#536)

9/20/1973 - Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs in the "Battle of the Sexes' tennis match
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
historian
September 21:

1780: Benedict Arnold committed treason, plotting to turn over West Point to the British. His intermediary, Maj. John Andr, was captured and later hanged as a spy.

1792: The French Legislative Assembly abolished the monarchy. This was led to the short-lived First Republic but the French Revolution would continue to descend into more extreme radicalism.

1942: The B-29 made its first flight in Seattle
LIB,MR BEARS
September 22:

1692 - Last people hanged for witchcraft (8) in the US, 20 hanged overall during Salem Witch Trials

1862 - President Lincoln issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation. It stated that all slaves held within rebel states would be free as of January 1, 1863.

1949 - The Soviet Union exploded its first atomic bomb successfully.

1961 - President John F Kennedy signed a congressional act that established the Peace Corps.

1980 - A border conflict between Iran and Iraq developed into a full-scale war.

historian
Thanks LIB, saves me the trouble!

But the list should include:

1776: Nathan Hale was hanged by the British for spying.
MrGolfguy
9/22/1789 - United States Post Office is established

9/22/1893 - 1st US built automobile (Duryea Bros.) runs in Springfield

9/22/1903 - Italo Marchiony granted patent for the ice cream cone
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

Thanks LIB, saves me the trouble!

But the list should include:

1776: Nathan Hale was hanged by the British for spying.

that was an important miss. Thanks for the save.
historian
September 23:

1779: Capt. John Paul Jones won a major victory against British warships Serapis and Countess of Scarborough.

1846: Astronomer at Berlin Observatory discovered the planet Neptune.
MrGolfguy
9/23/1926 - Gene Tunney defeats Jack Dempsey for the World Heavyweight Boxing title

9/23/1952 - 1st closed circuit pay-TV telecast of a sports event

9/23/1962 - ABC's 1st color TV series premieres (The Jetsons)

9/23/1977 - Cheryl Ladd replaces Farrah Fawcett on Charlie's Angels
historian
September 24:

622: Muhammad completed the first Hegira from Mecca to Medina.

1789: Congress established the first Supreme Court.

1964: The Warren Commission delivered their report on the assassination of JFK to Pres. Johnson.
historian
September 25:

1789: Congress passed the Bill of Rights.

1957: The Little Rock Nine began their first full day of classes.

1959: Pres. Eisenhower met with Soviet dictator Nikita Khrushchev for talks at Camp David.
historian
September 26:

1580: Francis Drake returned to England after circumnavigating the globe.

1918: Meuse-Argonne offensive began. This was the last major offensive of WWI that ultimately ended the war with an Allied victory, largely because of the hundreds of thousands of fresh American troops.

1960: First televised debate: presidential candidates Richard Nixon vs John F. Kennedy.
historian
September 27:

1540: Pope Paul III established the Society of Jesus, aka the Jesuits.

1939: Poland surrendered, completing Germany's conquest (aided by the Soviet Union).

1940: Germany, Italy & Japan sign the Tripartite Pact.
historian
September 28:

48 BC: Pompey the Great was assassinated.

1066: William the Conquerer invaded England.

1781: The Battle of Yorktown began. This American victory, with considerable French aid, would convince the British to seek peace and thus guaranteed American independence.

1918: Late in WWI, a British soldier came upon a wounded German soldier & spared his life. Although, the details are sketchy, it seems that man was Adolf Hitler.

1928: Sir Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin.

1941: Ted Williams bat .400. He is the last pro baseball play to do so.
Wichitabear
1918. Omg. have never heard that!
MrGolfguy
September 29th

1829 - Scotland Yard is formed in London

1892 - 1st night football game is played (Mansfield PA)

1982 - Cyanide laced Tylenol kills 7 people
historian
September 29:

1780: Maj. John Andr, accomplice to Benedict Arnold, was sentenced to death.

1918: Allied forces broke through the Hindenburg Line, the last line of German defenses on the Western front during WWI.

1941: Beginning of Babi Yar massacre near Kiev as the Nazis murdered thousands of Jews.

2008: Largest single-day drop in the Dow.
MrGolfguy
September 30th

1452 - the first book is published (Guttenburg Bible)

1927 - Babe Ruth hits a record 60th home run (record would last until 1961)

1939 - 1st televised college football game (Fordham vs Waynesburg)

1960 - The Flintstones premieres on TV
whitetrash
MrGolfguy said:

September 30th

1950 - Baylor Stadium opens with a 34-7 win over UH.

1955 - James Dean makes an ill-advised left turn into oncoming traffic while blinded by the sun
LIB,MR BEARS
MrGolfguy said:

September 30th

1960 turned out to be a big year for many of use even though we weren't born yet. Still, it doesn't Cary the weight that 1452 did
historian
September 30:

1889: The Wyoming legislature wrote a constitution granting women the vote so when they became a state in 1890, they were the first state to grant suffrage to women.

1938: The Munich Pact was signed in which Great Britain, France & Italy agreed that Czechoslovakia should give the Sudetenland to Hitler's Germany. It delayed the outbreak of war but the Czech's were not consulted and they were betrayed by their Allies. It was the climax of appeasement and was proved worthless 6 months later when the German armies marched on Prague and took the entire country.

1949: The Berlin Airlift ended.

1954: USS Nautilus commissioned as first nuclear powered submarine.

1955: Death of James Dean in an automobile accident.

1962: Riots broke out over the desegregation of Ole Miss.
historian
October 1:

1918: Lawrence of Arabia captured Damscus.

1946: Nazi war criminals were sentenced at Nrnberg.

1949: Mao Zedong announced the creation of the People's Republic of China with himself as head of state. Note: most countries named "People's Republic..." are ruthless dictatorships. Mao would demonstrate that fact costing the lives of 50 million Chinese people.

1961: Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's home run record.

1987: An earthquake struck in southern California.

1988: Mikhail Gorbachev became the new dictator of the Soviet Union.

2005: Suicide bombers staged terrorist attacks in Bali.

2017: A crazed gunman opened fire on a concert crowd in Las Vegas killing 58.
historian
October 2:

1835: Texans in Gonzales defied Mexican authorities by refusing to turn over a cannon that had been loaned to them for protection against Indian attacks. This was the beginning of the Texas Revolution.

1919: Pres. Woodrow Wilson suffered a massive stroke and was bedridden for the remainder of his presidency.

1944: German forces forced the surrender of remaining Jewish rebels, thus ending the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.

1967: Thurgood Marshall sworn in as first black Supreme Court justice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.