On this day in history...

162,791 Views | 1898 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by techpresentsb
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi said:

2019: The Church of the Visitation in Westphalia, Texas burns to the ground after 125 years.

Obviously, this is sad news. But technically this is not history, it's current events.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

July 30:

1619: The first representative assembly in the Western Hemisphere assembled in Jamestown.

1956: Pres. Eisenhower signed "In God We Trust" into law.

1965: Pres. Johnson signed Medicare into law.

1976: Bruce Jenner won the decathlon at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

2003: Volkswagon Beetle ended production.

Some biggies here to teach. They'd open up some great conversations and get folks thinking
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

historian said:

July 30:

1619: The first representative assembly in the Western Hemisphere assembled in Jamestown.

1956: Pres. Eisenhower signed "In God We Trust" into law.

1965: Pres. Johnson signed Medicare into law.

1976: Bruce Jenner won the decathlon at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

2003: Volkswagon Beetle ended production.

Some biggies here to teach. They'd open up some great conversations and get folks thinking
If it gets people thinking then it's probably a good thing.
Wichitabear
Lolol ok Mr. Nurd who I admire. We will make sure our current events go elsewhere. Lolol
historian
Wichitabear said:

Lolol ok Mr. Nurd who I admire. We will make sure our current events go elsewhere. Lolol
This is all for fun. Sometimes even the trivial is interesting.
Wichitabear
I know.
LIB,MR BEARS
"This Day In History" would make for a really cool class for history or polo-sci majors. It would have the potential to be a lot of fun.
historian
When I was a student at Baylor in the 1980s, Prof. Armistead began every class with a brief list of historical events similar to this thread.
historian
July 31:

1715: A hurricane struck the east coast of Florida sinking 10 Spanish ships loaded with treasure.

1777: The Marquis de Lafayette became a major-general in the Continental Army, a position he accepted without pay. Perhaps he was following the example of his friend George Washington who also served without pay.

1917: The Third Battle of Ypres, also known as Passchendaele, began in Flanders. Although the British managed to gain some territory, it was not enough to impact the outcome of WWI and the carnage was far too great to justify the minimal achievement. It's legacy is one of futility and wasted lives, like most of the fighting on the western front.

1975: Jimmy Hoffa disappeared, presumably murdered. But a body has never been found and the mystery continues to this day.
MrGolfguy
8/1/1790 - 1st US Census

8/1/1903 - 1st coast-to-coast automobile trip is completed (SF to NY)

8/1/1966 - Charles Whitman climbs the Univ of Texas tower with a rifle and murders 12 people

8/1/1981 - MTV network premieres
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
historian
August 1:

1914: WWI began as the German army invaded Luxembourg on its way to Belgium and France.

1936: 1936 Olympics opened in Berlin.

1943: PT-109 commanded by Lt. John F. Kennedy sank.

1944: Anne Frank wrote the last entry in her diary.

1944: Beginning of Polish rebellion in Warsaw against the Nazi occupation.

1961: Six Flags Over Texas opened.

1966: Charles Whitman killed 14 people from Texas Tower in Austin. Texas Rangers heroes stopped his killing spree by shooting him.
whitetrash
historian said:

August 1:

1966: Charles Whitman killed 14 people from Texas Tower in Austin. Texas Rangers heroes stopped his killing spree by shooting him.

historian
August 2:

1776: Delegates from the Second Continental Congress met to sign the official copy of the Declaration of Independence. This is the one you can find on display at the National Archives when you visit Washington, D.C.

1923: Pres. Warren G. Harding died while returning from a trip to Alaska.

1934: Adolf Hitler became Fhrer of Germany with total power.

1945: Potsdam Conference ended.

1990: Iraqi invaded Kuwait ultimately resulting in Desert Storm and the Gulf War.
whitetrash
August 2, 1985: first Delta crash at DFW during a microburst thunderstorm.

I was putting gas in my car at a 7-11 at Preston & Alpha. Looked to the west and thought "that's a funny looking cloud, it must be raining out by the airport."
historian
August 3:

1492: Columbus departed on his fateful voyage of discovery.

1914: Germany and France declared war on each other so that what started out as a small regional conflict was now a European-wide war, WWI.

1923: Calvin Coolidge took the oath of office as President of the United States.

1948: During his HUAC testimony, Whittaker Chambers accused Alger Hiss of being a Soviet spy.
historian
August 4:

1854: Henry David Thoreau's Walden was published.

1892: Lizzie Borden murdered her parents.

1914: Pres. Wilson formally announced that the U.S. would remain neutral in WWI.

1944: The Gestapo arrested Anne Frank.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

August 4:

1854: Henry David Thoreau's Walden was published.

1892: Lizzie Borden murdered her parents.

1914: Pres. Wilson formally announced that the U.S. would remain neutral in WWI.

1944: The Gestapo arrested Anne Frank.

I like your choices, well 3 out of 4. Great topics and impactful to so many worldwide.
historian
Thanks. I usually try to steer clear of the trivial but sometimes those items are amusing.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

Thanks. I usually try to steer clear of the trivial but sometimes those items are amusing.
They are. I happened to look ahead for tomorrow and there are plenty of non-impactful, amusing things that can be brought up.
MrGolfguy
August 4, 1993 - this happened:

historian
August 5:

1858: First transatlantic cable

1861: Pres. Lincoln signs into law the Revenue Act resulting in the first income tax in U.S. history.

1864: Union victory at the Battle of Mobile Bay.

1963: Nuclear Test Ban Treaty

1981: Pres. Reagan fired thousands of air traffic controls who were on strike illegally.
historian
August 6:

1787: The delegates at the Constitutional Convention began dealing the first draft of the Constitution.

1945: The U.S. nukes Hiroshima, the final act of WWII. Soon after the use of the atomic bombs on Japanese cities, they surrendered and the war was over.

1965: Pres. Johnson signs into law the Voting Rights Act. For the first time, strong measures were enacted that guaranteed the rights of blacks (and other minorities) to vote.
MrGolfguy
8/6/1926 - New York's Gertrude Ederle becomes the 1st woman to swim the English Channel

8/6/1962 - Jamaica gains independence from Britain
historian
August 7:

1782: George Washington created the Purple Heart.

1942: US invasion of Japanese-held Guadalcanal began.

1964: Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution authorizing Pres. Lyndon Johnson to use military force in Vietnam. We all know how well that went.

1998: US Embassies in Kenya & Tanzania were bombed by al Qaeda terrorists.
historian
August 8:

1863: Gen. Robert E. Lee offered his resignation to Confederate Pres. Jefferson Davis, weeks after their defeat at Gettysburg. The offer was declined.

1918: The Allies attacked the Germans in France beginning the Battle of Amiens.

1942: German saboteurs were executed in Washington, D.C.

1945: The Soviet Union declared war on Japan (as promised at Yalta) and invaded Manchuria.

1974: Pres. Nixon resigned.

1988: The first night game at Wrigley Field as the Cubs hosted the Mets.
whitetrash
The first night game at Wrigley was ultimately called for rain in the 4th inning.
MrGolfguy
August 8, 1969

historian
August 9:

378: A large Roman army under the emperor of the East, Valens, was defeated by the Visigoths at the Battle of Adrianople.

1936: In the Berlin Olympics Jesse Owen won his 4th gold medal, in the 4x100 meter relay. The relay team set a new world record in the process.

1945: The U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki causing destruction comparable to the Hiroshima bomb 3 days earlier. Soon after, the Japanese announced their willingness to surrender and WWII came to an end.

1969: Charles Manson's cult killed 5 people.

1974: Gerald Ford was sworn in as President of the United States.
MrGolfguy
August 9, 1944 - Smokey the Bear is created/first used by the National Forest Service

Happy 75th Birthday Smokey!!!
historian
August 10:

1793: Opening of the Louvre Museum in Paris.

1846: The Smithsonian Institution was created.

1945: Japan accepted the Allied terms and surrendered unconditionally ending WWII.

historian
August 11:

1919: Germany adopted the Weimar Constitution. It was a weak & ineffective government born in the aftermath of the defeat in WWI and eventually producing Chancellor Hitler.

1965: Riots began in the Watts neighborhood of LA.
MrGolfguy
August 11th

1919 - Green Bay Packers are founded

1933 - temperature reaches 136* in San Luis Potos, Mexico (world record)

1951 - 1st color baseball game telecast
historian
August 12:

30: Cleopatra committed suicide.

1676: King Philip's War ended when Philip was assassinated.

1898: Armistice ending the Spanish-American War.

1941: Atlantic Charter signed by FDR & Churchill.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
August 13:

1521: Hernan Cortes conquered the Aztec capital.

1961: East Germans began construction of the Berlin Wall.

1981: Pres. Reagan signed into law the first series of tax cuts of his administration. This helped to usher in economic recovery and eventual boom throughout the 1980s.

1995: Death of Mickey Mantle.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

August 13:

1521: Hernan Cortes conquered the Aztec capital.

1961: East Germans began construction of the Berlin Wall.

1981: Pres. Reagan signed into law the first series of tax cuts of his administration. This helped to usher in economic recovery and eventual boom throughout the 1980s.

1995: Death of Mickey Mantle.

I was still a couple years away from being born but, 1961 had to have been some very tense times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.