On this day in history...

162,739 Views | 1897 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
July 4:

1776: The Second Continental Congress officially declared independence from Great Britain.

1826: On America's 50th birthday two signers & authors of the Declaration of Independence died within hours of each other. John Adam's last words were that Jefferson still lives, but he was off by a few hours.

1863: Confederates surrendered Vicksburg to General Ulysses S. Grant leaving the Union in complete control of the Mississippi River.

1884: France gave to the U.S. the Statue of Liberty.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Wichitabear
Happy 4th of July everyone!!!! Enjoy your day.
MrGolfguy
7/4/1054 - the brightest known super-nova began shining for 23 days

7/4/1802 - US Military Academy officially opens in West :Point NY

7/4/1828 - 1st railroad begins passenger service, Baltimore & Ohio (B&O)
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
historian
historian
July 5:

1865: Salvation Army founded

1996: first successful cloning of an mammal, a sheep named Dolly
MrGolfguy
7/5/1946 - the bikini swimsuit debuts at a fashion show in Paris

7/5/1971 - voting age is lowered to 18 by the 26th amendment
historian
July 7:

1930: Construction of Hoover Dam began.

1981: Pres. Ronald Reagan nominated Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court, the first woman justice.
MrGolfguy
July 6th (skipped for some reason)

1928 - 1st all talking motion picture shown in New York

1933 - 1st baseball All Star game, the AL defeats the NL 5-2
william
Dale?
historian
July 8:

1776: The Liberty Bell rang to call the people of Philadelphia to the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence.

1853: Commodore Matthew C. Perry sailed into Edo Bay (Tokyo Bay) requesting the normalization of relations. This ended 250 years of self-imposed isolation and led to a period of turmoil and crisis culminating in the collapse of the Tokugawa Shogunate and leading to the Meiji Restoration, a new government determined to modernize Japan thus beginning the amazing transformation of a backwards country into a modern economic, political, and military powerhouse.
MrGolfguy
7/8/1889 - Last bareknuckle bout takes place, John Sullivan wins by KO in 75th round

7/8/1909 - 1st pro baseball game under the lights (minor league)

7/8/1950 - Leroy Deans awarded 1st Order of Purple Heart in Korea
historian
July 9:

1762: the wife of Tsar Peter III led the soldiers against him and became Empress Catherine the Great.

1850: Pres. Zachary Taylor died and Millard Fillmore became president in his place.

1941: British cryptologists broke the code of Germany's Enigma machine. This was an invaluable tool for the Allied war effort against Germany during WWII.
historian
July 10:

1925: The Scopes Monkey Trial began in Dayton, Tennessee.

1940: The Germans launched the first of many bombing attacks against the British. The beginning of the Battle of Britain.

1943: The Allies began their attack on Sicily.
historian
July 11:

1804: The most famous duel in American history took place when Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton, fatally wounding him. This destroyed Burr's political career since Hamilton was a Founding Father and a hero to many Americans.

1914: Major League Baseball debut of Babe Ruth.

1960: Publication of the novel, To Kill a Mockingbird
historian
July 12:

1957: Pres. Eisenhower was the first president to ride in a helicopter.

1984: Geraldine Ferraro named VP candidate. She was the first woman to be a candidate in one of the top two spots for a major party. In the end, Walter Mondale never had a chance as Ronald Reagan was reelected in a huge landslide.

slow day
MrGolfguy
7/12/1862 - Congress authorizes the Medal of Honor

7/12/1928 - 1st televised tennis match

7/12/1977 - 1st free flight test of shuttle Enterprise
historian
July 13:

1787: Congress passed the Northwest Ordinance organizing the territory north of the Ohio River (modern day Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, & Minnesota). This provided for the growth of the nation, the eventual addition of new states, and, through the influence of Thomas Jefferson, it halted the expansion of slavery--an important step.

1793: French revolutionary leader Jean-Paul Marat assassinated in his bathtub by Charlotte Corday.

1943: The Soviet Red Army defeated the German Wehrmacht in the Battle of Kursk, the largest tank battle in history. Together with the victory at Stalingrad a few weeks earlier, this marked the turning point on the eastern front as the Russians began pushing the Germans westward, ultimately all the way to Berlin.
Wichitabear
1787. Democrates need a refresher course in history about this date. As well as many college professors. If you get my point, lol
historian
Why do you think I included it? You know why!
Wichitabear
historian
July 14:

1099: Crusaders in the First Crusade captured Jerusalem.

1789: The storming of the Bastille in Paris marked the beginning of the French Revolution that would rage off and on, creating much chaos, for 25 years.

2016: Terrorist drove a truck through a Bastille Day celebration in Nice, killing 86.
historian
July 15:

1806: Zebulon Pike began his voyage of exploration of the American West.

1918: Second Battle of the Marne: the Germans launched their final offensive of WWI. It was a complete failure, thanks to brilliant strategic moves by Gen. Petain and the infusion of thousands of fresh American soldiers, leading to an Allied counterattack that broke the backs of the Germans ultimately leading to their surrender.

1965: Mariner 4 passed over Mars and began sending data back to earth.

1979: Pres. Jimmy Carter's "malaise" speech in which he described the "crisis of confidence" America was experiencing, one of a moral and spiritual nature.
MrGolfguy
7/15/1929 - 1st airport hotel opens (Oakland,CA)

7/15/1952 - 1st transatlantic helicopter flight begins
historian
July 16:

1790: Congress proclaimed the site of Washington, D.C. to be the new capital of the United States.

1945: In Alamogordo, NM scientists from the Manhattan Project tested the first atomic device successfully and the world entered the nuclear age.

1969: Apollo 11 was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida to begin its historic voyage.

1999: JFK Jr. was killed in a plane crash.

LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

July 16:

1790: Congress proclaimed the site of Washington, D.C. to be the new capital of the United States.

1945: In Alamogordo, NM scientists from the Manhattan Project tested the first atomic device successfully and the world entered the nuclear age.

1969: Apollo 11 was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida to begin its historic voyage.

1999: JFK Jr. was killed in a plane crash.

i remember watching the Apollo 11 launch laying on the living room floor. Awesome stuff.
Wichitabear
Me too. Didn't appreciate it at the time but knew it was special.
historian
I don't remember it at all, I was 3.5 years old! I don't remember any of the early space stuff (except maybe a vague memory from the mid-1970s). But I certainly an appreciate the significance of this Saturday!
MrGolfguy
7/16/1861 - 1st major battle of the Civil War (Bull Run)

7/16/1935 - 1st automatic parking meter in US installed in Okla City
historian
How did I miss First Bull Run?!
historian
July 17:

1945: Pres Truman met with Stalin for the first time at the Potsdam Conference. The day after the first successful test of the atom bomb, he explained to our ally that we had a new powerful weapon but he was vague on the details and therefore not entirely honest. Stalin may have known more than he did (or as much) since his spies had kept him well informed of the Manhattan Project.

1955: Disneyland opened in Anaheim, California.

1975: America's Apollo 18 docked in space with the Soviet Soyuz 19.
historian
July 18:

1925: Publication of Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf ("My Struggle).

1936: The Spanish Civil War began.

1969: Sen. Ted Kennedy drove his car off a bridge at Chappaquiddick on Martha's Vinyard. He managed to get out but the pregnant woman in the car with him drowned. After waiting several hours, he finally reported the accident. The "scandal" (after all, he was a Kennedy) ended his presidential aspirations but that's about it.
historian
July 19:

1553: Lady Jane Grey, the nine day queen, deposed as Mary Tudor, the rightful queen ascends to the British throne. She was later executed.

1799: Napoleon's army, while on a silly adventure in Egypt, discovered the Rosetta Stone which eventually provided the means to translate ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics. It is now in the British Museum in London.

1848: The Seneca Falls Convention convened in upstate New York to organize a national effort to promote women's rights, particularly suffrage.
Wichitabear
You're losing it.
MrGolfguy
7/19/1877 - 1st Wimbledon tennis tournament is held

7/19/1961 - 1st in-flight movie is shown (on TWA)
historian
JULY 20:

1881: Sitting Bull surrendered to the US Army.

1944: Col. Claus von Stauffenberg's assassination plot against Adolf Hitler failed. Hitler survived and the conspirators were arrested, tortured, and executed. And WWII dragged on for another 10 months.

1969: FIFTY YEARS AGO TODAY, NEIL ARMSTRONG & "BUZZ" ALDRIN WALKED ON THE MOON.

1977: A flash flood struck Johnstown, Pennsylvania killing 84 people.

2012: A crazed young man walked into an Aurora, Colorado movie theater and murdered a dozen people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.