Asteroid Countdown

47,987 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
Jokerman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everyone retreat to your asteroid-resistant domes today! This is not a drill!

https://news.yahoo.com/potentially-hazardous-asteroid-size-space-201757371.html
SMack
It's weird that the asteroid is shaped like Seattle's space needle. If we could stop it and bring it down in one piece (slowly), it would make quite a tourist attraction.

Maybe we could put it by the Marsha Warfield visitor center.
Jokerman
SMack said:

It's weird that the asteroid is shaped like Seattle's space needle. If we could stop it and bring it down in one piece (slowly), it would make quite a tourist attraction.

Oh, there ain't no "maybe" ... this gonna happen.
Anyone got an asteroid catcher? (Preferably one specializing in Seattle Space Needle-shaped asteroids.)
4th and Inches
Jokerman said:

SMack said:

Oh, there ain't no "maybe" ... this gonna happen.
Anyone got an asteroid catcher? (Preferably one specializing in Seattle Space Needle-shaped asteroids.)
had one in storage but somebody remapped the page and now I cant find it
Bexar Pitts
A brief musical interlude while we wait....
SMack
I wonder if there is a picture of that asteroid...

If we can't catch it, we could at least display its photo at the visitor center.

I wonder if there is one shaped like the ALICO building or the suspension bridge or something.

I wonder about such things. I don't know if Jokerman does or not.
Bexar Pitts
SMack said:

If we can't catch it, we could at least display its photo at the visitor center.

I wonder if there is one shaped like the ALICO building or the suspension bridge or something.

Or even a food truck..Asteroid Bar-B-Que would be awesome! One could name their specialty items after individual "space rocks"
Bexar Pitts
Well..only an idea.. Since the Alico building went up,standing upright in the Texas landscape, Waco was/is known as the "City With a XXXX On." I was thinkin' maybe an asteroid shaped food truck or two might change the narrative a bit. I know......back to decaf.
Jokerman
SMack said:

A life-sized mural would be nice -- of Marsha Warfield -- on a life-sized mural (perhaps a lovely mosaic) of the Space Needle Asteroid, which would be installed on a much-larger-than-life-sized replica of a food truck parked next to the Alico Building, all to accommodate and properly display the actual size of the asteroid and, of course, Marsha Warfield.
Bexar Pitts
Jokerman said:

SMack said:

A life-sized mural would be nice -- of Marsha Warfield -- on a life-sized mural (perhaps a lovely mosaic) of the Space Needle Asteroid, which would be installed on a much-larger-than-life-sized replica of a food truck parked next to the Alico Building, all to accommodate and properly display the actual size of the asteroid and, of course, Marsha Warfield.
NOW, we're finally gettin somewhere.
Jokerman
Jokerman
A huge asteroid is about to fly past Earth. If you caught it, you'd be $4.7 billion richer

Anybody got an extra-large catcher's mitt?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/huge-asteroid-fly-past-earth-200829918.html
SMack
Jokerman said:

A huge asteroid is about to fly past Earth. If you caught it, you'd be $4.7 billion richer

Asteroids are really interesting these days -- this one is shaped like the Eiffel Tower.

When I was a youngster, all our asteroids just looked like rocks. Kids today just don't know how good they've got it.
Jokerman
SMack said:

Jokerman said:

Asteroids are really interesting these days -- this one is shaped like the Eiffel Tower.

When I was a youngster, all our asteroids just looked like rocks. Kids today just don't know how good they've got it.
Seattle Space Needle?
Eiffel Tower?

Sounds like we've got a Boutique Asteroid Producing 3D Printer at work.

Why can't they do something more productive, like printing a Marsha Warfield-shaped asteroid? If you're gonna go, go hard, I always say.
SMack
Jokerman said:

SMack said:

Jokerman said:

Seattle Space Needle?
Eiffel Tower?

Sounds like we've got a Boutique Asteroid Producing 3D Printer at work.

Why can't they do something more productive, like printing a Marsha Warfield-shaped asteroid? If you're gonna go, go hard, I always say.
Sadly, I think we're seeing the anti-Marsha Warfield bias that is so common in the asteroid community. Obviously the committee that determines the asteroid shapes favor the most famous (dare I say blue-blood?) tall structures.

I'm hoping the asteroid-resistant Marsha Warfield visitor center will lead us into a world in which Marsha is rightfully honored.
Jokerman
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0912201/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Dude. Go here. Marsha is 5-11. If that ain't tall, my name ain't Joe Kermann.
It's about time Marsha, and all non-tower-shaped asteroids, gets a little love.
And, if anyone can give this statuesque woman a little love, it's me.
SMack
Jokerman said:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0912201/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Dude. Go here. Marsha is 5-11. If that ain't tall, my name ain't Joe Kermann.
It's about time Marsha, and all non-tower-shaped asteroids, gets a little love.
And, if anyone can give this statuesque woman a little love, it's me.
Further proof of anti-Marsha bias by the committee.

They CLAIM the Eiffel Tower got in because of strength of schedule, the space needle because of some "eye test" nonsense. Obviously, the name played a big part, but they won't admit it.

Until this system is reformed or scrapped, we'll be seeing nothing but tall structures from major cities used as asteroid shapes.
Jokerman

Reunion Tower, you're on the clock.
Marsha... alas...
*sheesh*
*sigh*
Bexar Pitts
Perhaps this wonder would stimulate the creativity of the "tall motif" designers of today's asteroid community? This seen by appoinment only, crypto required, and meta-verse residents only need apply...I've just received my "10 minute" reentry notice from Mission Control..
Jokerman
Bexar Pitts said:

Perhaps this wonder would stimulate the creativity of the "tall motif" designers of today's asteroid community? This seen by appoinment only, crypto required, and meta-verse residents only need apply...I've just received my "10 minute" reentry notice from Mission Control..
This one would definitely not be in the blue-blood category of tower-esque asteroids. Granted, it'd get some play on ESPN's late game on Thursday nights. But you'd have to convince me to make it any higher than a 12-seed.
Bexar Pitts
Definitely not in mainstream of asteroidal concept..However , an "atomic" design motif, while rather esoteric in nature, would definitely have an appeal for some..I strongly believe the asteroid community needs to present an aura of inclusion to reach critical mass...At least that's what the clerk said when he/she took my admission ticket.
Jokerman
Bexar Pitts said:

Definitely not in mainstream of asteroidal concept..However , an "atomic" design motif, while rather esoteric in nature, would definitely have an appeal for some..I strongly believe the asteroid community needs to present an aura of inclusion to reach critical mass...At least that's what the clerk said when he/she took my admission ticket.
Cannot agree more. Last thing the asteroid community needs is to be #cancelled.
saabing bear
"For that reason, many claim global authorities should have a plan in place but it seems they do not."

I'm buying up all the 'Roid Helmet" stock I can afford. (Although "Roid" might be misunderstood.)
saabing bear
Reminds me of the scene in Dr Strangelove: "Mr President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!"
Jokerman
saabing bear said:

Reminds me of the scene in Dr Strangelove: "Mr President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!"
Bexar Pitts
I think it prudent to move immediately to DEFCON 2.
SMack
Bexar Pitts said:

What DEFCON are we on now?
Bexar Pitts
SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I've sent a coded message to G2 via my custom Bag Phone asking that very question. I'm beginning to believe my equipment is outdated, as all I've gotten back in reponse is a brief recorded message telling me my "call" can't be completed as dialed. Frustrating to say the least.
Jokerman
Bexar Pitts said:

SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I've sent a coded message to G2 via my custom Bag Phone asking that very question. I'm beginning to believe my equipment is outdated, as all I've gotten back in reponse is a brief recorded message telling me my "call" can't be completed as dialed. Frustrating to say the least.
Dial "9" first, to get an outside line.
Bexar Pitts
Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Thanks! I probably need to take a night class at Phone School..this digital stuff can be confusing..I traded some cat-eye marbles and a plate of half eaten lutefisk for the Bag Phone several years ago..Never have been completely up to snuff on it's capabilities.
Jokerman
Bexar Pitts said:

Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Thanks! I probably need to take a night class at Phone School..this digital stuff can be confusing..I traded some cat-eye marbles and a plate of half eaten lutefisk for the Bag Phone several years ago..Never have been completely up to snuff on it's capabilities.
Phone School ain't no joke, bro.
The weekly lab on kitchen phone cord untangling was a freaking beast.
Bexar Pitts
Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Copy that on Phone School..I know some Jet Propulsion analysts that flunked the introductory "Living Without Dial Tone" course that's mandatory for advancement past Freshman level content..Just glad I got past those qualifiers to earn my acceptance into "Batteries Included" courses..BTW, where DID dial tone finally go? And what actually made that noise? Do asteroids have dial tone? So many loose ends that need to be cleaned up..
SMack
Bexar Pitts said:

Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Copy that on Phone School..I know some Jet Propulsion analysts that flunked the introductory "Living Without Dial Tone" course that's mandatory for advancement past Freshman level content..Just glad I got past those qualifiers to earn my acceptance into "Batteries Included" courses..BTW, where DID dial tone finally go? And what actually made that noise? Do asteroids have dial tone? So many loose ends that need to be cleaned up..

Maybe they used the dial tone to create all those tower-shaped asteroids. Those didn't show up until the dial tone disappeared.

Coincidence?
Bexar Pitts
SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Jokerman said:

Bexar Pitts said:

SMack said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Maybe they used the dial tone to create all those tower-shaped asteroids. Those didn't show up until the dial tone disappeared.

Coincidence?
Sobering thought..Now that I think about it, a lot of our "modern" day problems have arisen after the disappearance of our dial tone. Scientists have spent fortunes trying to listen for "noises" and communications from outer space..Maybe they're trying to send us their dial tone? How can we hope to communicate with them if we have no "tone?" Sumpin' may be up in our highest leveis of govt..Maybe asteroids do have tone and we've secretely been talking to them.. Instead of blowing them up, why don't we just call them and at least leave a message on their answering machine? May be time for Congress to form another select committe and find out where our DT is, who took it, and who's in control of it. How DID they make that noise? "They" may be monitoring this thread now, so I'm over and out for a short spell...
saabing bear
Bexar Pitts said:

When I called I was transferred to a woman who started talking about my car's extended warranty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.