Word on the street...

195,435 Views | 1776 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WILLIS
Hob Howelll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LadyBear91 said:

The Hound said:

exr29070 said:

The Hound said:

Which is the best Beatle? Personally I'm partial to Paul McCartney, but some argue that John Lennon took the group from silly teenage love songs to the more psychedelic classic rock group that made such albums as Abby Roads and Let it Be
You just KNOW the sitar was his influence. Don't discount George Harrison. Dude is still responsible for some of the greatest rock licks ever.

George Martin? Would we even recognize their sound without him?

George Harrison was great. He wrote two of my favorite songs in My Sweet Lord and Here Comes the Sun

"Something" is a great one too.

Yep. That's another top five Beatles song for me
Roy Rogers
The wife and I were on a road trip through Indiana a few years ago and realized since we were fairly close to French Lick, we'd make a slight detour and check out Larry Bird's hometown. Had to be some kind of big time memorial or something there. At least a sign saying "Hometown of The Greatest Baller of All Time" or some such.

Got there and drove around and not one mention in that entire town of arguably the greatest basketball player to come out of Indiana. Not one mention.

On the way out of town, I told my wife that I needed to know what the deal was. Stopped at a convenience store and was told by a lady that Larry wasn't held in high esteem in his hometown. Seems he came back with some big money Indianapolis developers and tried to sell off the town to these guys. The town folk didn't go for it and it created a wedge between him and his hometown. Interesting story.

But he could fill it up.
"Sic em yesterday, sic em today, sic em forever"
Roy Rogers
The Hound said:

LadyBear91 said:

The Hound said:

exr29070 said:

The Hound said:

Which is the best Beatle? Personally I'm partial to Paul McCartney, but some argue that John Lennon took the group from silly teenage love songs to the more psychedelic classic rock group that made such albums as Abby Roads and Let it Be
You just KNOW the sitar was his influence. Don't discount George Harrison. Dude is still responsible for some of the greatest rock licks ever.

George Harrison was great. He wrote two of my favorite songs in My Sweet Lord and Here Comes the Sun

Let's just go for the greatest Beatles album. I'll get a lot of grief for this one but I'm voting for Rubber Soul.
AceThedic
In my life... Michelle... Damned good one. I love Revolver.
BearlyHeardFrom
Revolver.
GoldMind
Roy Rogers said:

The wife and I were on a road trip through Indiana a few years ago and realized since we were fairly close to French Lick, we'd make a slight detour and check out Larry Bird's hometown. Had to be some kind of big time memorial or something there. At least a sign saying "Hometown of The Greatest Baller of All Time" or some such.

Got there and drove around and not one mention in that entire town of arguably the greatest basketball player to come out of Indiana. Not one mention.

On the way out of town, I told my wife that I needed to know what the deal was. Stopped at a convenience store and was told by a lady that Larry wasn't held in high esteem in his hometown. Seems he came back with some big money Indianapolis developers and tried to sell off the town to these guys. The town folk didn't go for it and it created a wedge between him and his hometown. Interesting story.

But he could fill it up.

Hell no! We don't want big time Indianapolis delelopers pumping money into our depressed rural economy!
AceThedic
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Revolver.

She Said. Most underrated song in their whole catalog.
LadyBear91
Roy Rogers said:

The Hound said:

LadyBear91 said:

The Hound said:

exr29070 said:

The Hound said:

Let's just go for the greatest Beatles album. I'll get a lot of grief for this one but I'm voting for Rubber Soul.
This is cheating, but I have a compilation album that I've had for probably 30 years, "1962-1966." My new favorite is also a cheat, but it's LOVE. I saw the show in Vegas, and play it so often that my 13-year-old is a Beatles fan.
Roy Rogers
GoldMind said:

Roy Rogers said:

But he could fill it up.

Hell no! We don't want big time Indianapolis delelopers pumping money into our depressed rural economy!
French Lick is actually somewhat of a resort spa destination. I didn't realize that before seeing the town. Guess the folks that were already there and had an interest didn't appreciate him trying to redo the town with out of towners.
Hob Howelll
Abbey Road and it's not even close for me. Not that any of the others aren't great but Abbey Road is just a masterpiece from beginning to end

even Ringo got in a pretty good song in octopus' garden
GoldMind
I really like Dio's work. From Elf to Rainbow to Sabbath to Dio. RIP Dark one.
Hubbs
LadyBear91 said:

Was anyone else at Baylor when the Spin was there? Talk about nostalgia. Those parties/shows were a lot of fun.

Heck yeah!
rjwellman
I'd love to amass a big vinyl collection. To have a space full of vinyl like Rob Gordon in High Fidelity would be the dream.

A few gems from my small collection:
Grace - Jeff Buckley
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Revolver - The Beatles
The Chronic - Dre
Some Girls - The Rolling Stones
Nevermind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols
GoldMind
rjwellman said:

I'd love to amass a big vinyl collection. To have a space full of vinyl like Rob Gordon in High Fidelity would be the dream.

Grace - Jeff Buckley
Revolver - The Beatles
The Chronic - Dre

Good movie and a solid list you got there

Some of my prized vinyl is
Bad Company - 10 from 6
Rainbow - self titled album
Led Zeppelin - Physical Grafitti
Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced
And a copy of Third Eye Blinds self titled album that I bought in Japan.
Steely Dan
nein51 said:

I loved George Michael.

This.....is something I never thought I'd hear in a million years coming from Nein.

Puke.

And Clav thinks the son rises and sets with Van Morrison. Ugh.
Steely Dan
GoldMind said:

If someone was holding a gun to your head and they told you you had to hand the basketball to somebody to make a shot to save your life, who would you pass to?

MJ and it's not close.
Htown387
GoldMind said:

rjwellman said:

Grace - Jeff Buckley
Revolver - The Beatles
The Chronic - Dre

Good movie and a solid list you got there

Some of my prized vinyl is
Bad Company - 10 from 6
Rainbow - self titled album
Led Zeppelin - Physical Grafitti
Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced
And a copy of Third Eye Blinds self titled album that I bought in Japan.

Just FYI 3rdEB is playing their self titled album in its entirety this summer on tour
Fat Daddy
Steely Dan said:

And Clav thinks the son rises and sets with Van Morrison. Ugh.

Clav knows true greatness .... but the sun never goes down on Van Morrison ....
AceThedic
Solid.
AceThedic
Airheads... Lemmy is God. Bs. Dio is mf God. Saw him support maiden with motorhead as the opener in the early aughts.

Great sample. Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow is soooo good.
nein51
Baltimora Tarzan Boy - one of the most fun songs of the 80s
GoldMind
nein51 said:

Fun 80s songs?

Rock Me Amadeus comes immediately to mind, German gibberish mixed with a wild ass music video and a catchy hook.
Knight Bear
LadyBear91 said:

Was anyone else at Baylor when the Spin was there? Talk about nostalgia. Those parties/shows were a lot of fun.

Bring the King His Kaleidoscope is still on my top 10 album list. Play it weekly. Saw them many times... Bill Bills, Waterworks, Sigma Nu rush event, in Dallas... So sad when they hung it up as I think they
could have really made it big.

I need to find it on Youtube, but Mike Crawford is still making music as part of his ministry.
whiterock
BayNavFreak said:

President news perhaps?
Don't know if that's what she was talking about, but I understand we've made a selection, to be announced in a couple of weeks.

This person would have been my first phone call, and is one check-mark short of perfect. Not a name often heard, but think everyone should be pleased.
nein51
GoldMind said:

nein51 said:

Fun 80s songs?

Rock Me Amadeus comes immediately to mind, German gibberish mixed with a wild ass music video and a catchy hook.

That's a great song. Even better video
Wooldogg
whiterock said:

BayNavFreak said:

President news perhaps?
Don't know if that's what she was talking about, but I understand we've made a selection, to be announced in a couple of weeks.

This person would have been my first phone call, and is one check-mark short of perfect. Not a name often heard, but think everyone should be pleased.

What the hell are you trying to do hijacking this thread?!
Bahamabear
Steely Dan said:

GoldMind said:

If someone was holding a gun to your head and they told you you had to hand the basketball to somebody to make a shot to save your life, who would you pass to?

MJ and it's not close.

This, anyone else is a spare.

airforcebear
Pete Maravich.
Bearwhiz
Bahamabear said:

Steely Dan said:

GoldMind said:

MJ and it's not close.

This, anyone else is a spare.

Bahamabear
And I prefer the soundtrack to Schindler's List
Bahamabear
I could score on Bird
AceThedic
whiterock said:

BayNavFreak said:

President news perhaps?

wait what
BUBear03
Whoever said Reggie Miller had the correct answer.
Roy Rogers
Bahamabear said:

I could score on Bird
I think the question posed was who would you want taking the last shot with the game. I'll take Bird over you.
Jam_Holl
whiterock said:

BayNavFreak said:

President news perhaps?

We just got some actual news in this thread

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.